Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

barryd09 wrote: »
    Whats the name of thr cydia app that remembers your sources and installed tweaks ETC?

Im on 5.0 but want to get the new podcasts app which requires at least iOS 5.1, before i update the ios over the weekend & rejailbreak id like the same tweaks & themes etc to be saved.

There is an app for that, isnt there?

Nevermind, found it, its called AptBackup!

EDIT - Seems AptBackup has issues for some people, saw on a mac forum that AptBackup isnt updated too regulary & an alternative called PkgBackup is better & better supported with updates.

Think I'll go with that one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Whats the name of thr cydia app that remembers your sources and installed tweaks ETC?

Im on 5.0 but want to get the new podcasts app which requires at least iOS 5.1, before i update the ios over the weekend & rejailbreak id like the same tweaks & themes etc to be saved.

There is an app for that, isnt there?

Nevermind, found it, its called AptBackup!

EDIT - Seems AptBackup has issues for some people, saw on a mac forum that AptBackup isnt updated too regulary & an alternative called PkgBackup is better & better supported with updates.

Think I'll go with that one instead.

I've been using PkgBackup for ages and find it excellent. I thought AptBackup was just for backing up save data from apps, games etc. PkgBackup doesn't do AppStore app data it just does cydia sources and packages. But would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 grathu

ArklowHoop,

As a rule of thumb, everything in 'BLUE' writing in Cydia has to be paid for, anything in 'BLACK' writing is 'free';)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭mcw92

Hi, a friend of mine bought an iPhone 4 online recently, and not knowing much about them he updated it.
    Problem is, it was using a gevey sim to make it unlocked and working on the vodafone network, but now its not working.
    Its on 5.1.1 and Firmware 04.12.01,
    its a gevey sim plus i think, am not sure of the original network though.
    Any Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭pedatron

mcw92 wrote: »
    Hi, a friend of mine bought an iPhone 4 online recently, and not knowing much about them he updated it.
    Problem is, it was using a gevey sim to make it unlocked and working on the vodafone network, but now its not working.
    Its on 5.1.1 and Firmware 04.12.01,
    its a gevey sim plus i think, am not sure of the original network though.
    Any Ideas?

Would also like to know. Unlocking a phone for my friend and this baseband for some freaking reason appears impenetrable!!

• Advertisement

My main priority atm is finding out what carrier/network the phone is locked to really. He cant return/contact where he bought it.
    Ive done one of those online carrier checks for 1€ on ebay, hopefully it works, then i might be able to find out the original network, and just pay to get it unlocked. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those base bands cannot be unlocked using software hacks you can check http://jailbreak-me.info/ for all the details of unlock and jailbreak status.

You can however still get them unlocked via factory unlocking which can be done at a few of the mobile phone repair shops, however they are only able to unlock certain operators, for example three and meteor are not unlockable but o2 and vodafone are. If the phone was bought from a different country you would need to know which operator the phone it's locked to which can be difficult to find out if you don't know, plus the shops in town wont be able to do it, you would have to find an online vendor to do it for you and it can be hard to find one you trust. Also the last time I checked these unlocks run for about €120 ish. So really updating his phone was probably the worst thing he could have done. Can he even activate it?

kjl wrote: »
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those base bands cannot be unlocked using software hacks you can check http://jailbreak-me.info/ for all the details of unlock and jailbreak status.

You can however still get them unlocked via factory unlocking which can be done at a few of the mobile phone repair shops, however they are only able to unlock certain operators, for example three and meteor are not unlockable but o2 and vodafone are. If the phone was bought from a different country you would need to know which operator the phone it's locked to which can be difficult to find out if you don't know, plus the shops in town wont be able to do it, you would have to find an online vendor to do it for you and it can be hard to find one you trust. Also the last time I checked these unlocks run for about €120 ish. So really updating his phone was probably the worst thing he could have done. Can he even activate it?

It was activated after the update, but since then a factory restore has unactivated it, so no, not activated anymore.
    Does anyone know about this 'Hactivation' method?

Thanks so much for that website, from it i was able to find out the iPhone is locked to the UK o2 Network which is a start. Now just to go about confirming this with a uk o2 sim card, and unlocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

It was activated after the update, but since then a factory restore has unactivated it, so no, not activated anymore.
    Does anyone know about this 'Hactivation' method?
    Hactivation doesn't work on ios 5

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Hactivation doesn't work on ios 5

Just managed to activate it with the help of a youtube video :)

Did you do it by dialling 112 and holding the power button. Afaik that only works until you lock the phone again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Quick question.

Have IPhone 4 on 02 already jail broken on 4 11 08

What's the easiest way to go about unlocking it?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

My iPhone 4 has broken, and cost way too much to repair so using my old 3GS. Had to get the 3GS unlocked as it was on a different network.

My question is: Can I hook up my 3GS to iTunes at all or will it get rid of the jailbreak as soon as it connects?

Want to transfer phone numbers, etc. from my last backup of the iPhone 4.

Thanks guys

EDIT: Sorry if this has been answered before, but tried searching through this massive thread and have had no luck so far.

you will have to restore from a backup to get everything from the 4 to the 3GS, what firmware is it on and when you go to cydia is there any green writing on the top of the main page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

you will have to restore from a backup to get everything from the 4 to the 3GS

Thanks man, so connecting it to iTunes and restoring from the backup won't ruin the unlock?
    what firmware is it on and when you go to cydia is there any green writing on the top of the main page
    Modem Firmware = 05.13.04
    Green writing on Cydia = This device is in the pending TSS queue

what version is on it? i'm presuming 4.0.1, also was it unlocked by the carrier or by ultrasn0w

download tinyumbrella and run it with the iphone connected, if it says you have shsh blobs for x.x version, then you can download a copy of that and restore to it by changing your hosts file, tinyumbrella can do it for you though, then just run the jailbreak again and unlock it if needs be

Successfully Unlocked my phone from 02 to Tesco Mobile using SAM from jailbreak however I am not getting 3G data signal. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Successfully Unlocked my phone from 02 to Tesco Mobile using SAM from jailbreak however I am not getting 3G data signal. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Does the Sam Unlock method still work?
    Though apple stopped that?

No, it worked successfully for me

You shouldn't have any problems if you avoid the official update patches .

BTW 3G prob sorted with a reboot.

• Advertisement

it doesnt work anymore

No, it worked successfully for me

You shouldn't have any problems if you avoid the official update patches .

BTW 3G prob sorted with a reboot.

What network was the iPhone locked to? And what network did you unlock it to?

If i try the Sam Unlock, can i reverse the process after if it dosnt work?

What network was the iPhone locked to? And what network did you unlock it to?

If i try the Sam Unlock, can i reverse the process after if it dosnt work?

02 to Tesco Mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

im trying to do an iphone 4 on 5.1.1 from 02 to three network, using sam, all seemed to go fine, itunes picked up the new number but im still getting no signal.
    if sam isnt working what is the other option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

A very basic question you'll all laugh at me for asking.

I'm getting my first iPad tomorrow. I'm thinking iPad 3 16gb with WiFi / Cellular. Is Cellular just 3g? In that case, does that mean the iPad takes a sim card and if so, does the sim card have a phone number or how does it work? If I buy the Ipad, does the sim card come with it or do I have to get it somewhere else (and how much do they cost)?

/noob :o

A very basic question you'll all laugh at me for asking.

I'm getting my first iPad tomorrow. I'm thinking iPad 3 16gb with WiFi / Cellular. Is Cellular just 3g? In that case, does that mean the iPad takes a sim card and if so, does the sim card have a phone number or how does it work? If I buy the Ipad, does the sim card come with it or do I have to get it somewhere else (and how much do they cost)?

/noob :o
    The iPad takes a Micro Sim(same as iPhone 4/4s) you have to get on in a network shop(vodafone, o2 etc.) So choose which network you think is best in your location. Youl have to enter a contract with them to take out the sim.

Heres vodafone's iPAD Sim deals :
    iPad Vodafone

Every network has their own deals for it.

Sam won't work anymore that's why your getting no signal and unless the iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 has its bb preserved there is no software unlock available. I'm not sure what the situation is with gevey

You can also get iPad sims on PAYG. There's no need to get one on contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

how about if i reverse the phone to 5.0.1 will that be any benifit to unlocking, i have the redsnow file to do it and the 5.0.1 file downloaded ?

how about if i reverse the phone to 5.0.1 will that be any benifit to unlocking, i have the redsnow file to do it and the 5.0.1 file downloaded ?
    You can't just downgrade as simple as that, to downgrade iOS 5 you need shsh blobs and an APTicket and the firmware needed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ok so just have a few questions about unlocking/jailbreaking.

Recently got a 3GS from a friend as he can't get it to work. Basically it was unlocked via jailbreak before but it's been updated at some point and is now locked again. I don't know what iOS it's currently running. It's stuck on the set up/activation screen. I've tried Meteor, 3 and Vodafone sims in it but they're not compatible so it may be on O2. Although I believe it was bought from a Scottish guy so may be on a UK network. Anyway my question is, is there any way to unlock/jailbreak/bypass the set up and activation screen without using a compatible sim?

Advertisement