Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Come to Japan or India - swastikas everywhere (and yes in both directions) - just like how the KKK don't "own" the white hoods, I find it nice that there are places in the world where the swastika is used for its more "original" purpose as a symbol for prosperity and peace:

Spanish non-KKKs:
    https://www.thelocal.es/20190408/capirotes-are-a-symbol-of-penance-not-of-right-wing-extremism
    0b9f10cbb718096e8163e0f73b1afb13ef1af1c93409bafef614e1b439f8a784.jpg

Japanese non-Nazis:
    https://aminoapps.com/c/japan/page/blog/the-swastika-sign-wan-a-symbol-of-buddhism-or-nazism/Vps7_u3zWqqpQxXRaxZjpPR2Zg7xWn
    8d3c75dd2e0956bbca4f3443ee6ea2169e07bebf_hq.jpg

But yes - using a swastika tilted at 45 degrees on a white circle with red square background would be like wearing the capirotes and carrying a burning cross - you're not doing Easter penance that's for sure.

To make it watch related - it would be some brave guy who would wear this watch in Europe/US without need to constantly explain how he's actually Hindu and this is their sign for good luck:
    https://www.zazzle.com/handskull_swastika_hindu_good_luck_sports_watch-256539566483114435

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I swear it was just resting on my bookshelves.

524383.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I worked for a senior Engineering manager who in 1990s had a book on his desk in the open plan office in Silcon Valley of all places. He worked for a huge tech company. He was called into HR as a result of several complaints. The book was titled, The rape of Nanking. You never know what people, even supposedly educated people will take offense to.

Maybe they thought Nanking was someone's name - or maybe denialists were unhappy with the "fake news" book he was reading :D

@CT - isn't that Mr Irving of the holocaust denial fame? You just need a copy of Mein Kampf now (we know what to get CT for his birthday...)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pffft. Amateurs. Meanwhile. Me. Earlier... :D

524389.jpg

German issued(to paratroops and luftwaffe) 1943 Wagner on an Airfix Junkers JU 87, sitting on an original(1944) ammunition crate* that carried the rounds for the tank buster version of said Stuka. As you do.

*makes for a great occasional table and as it's zinc lined a pretty good wine chest.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

Wibbs wrote: »
    snip

German issued(to paratroops and luftwaffe) 1943 Wagner on an Airfix Junkers JU 87, sitting on an original(1944) ammunition crate* that carried the rounds for the tank buster version of said Stuka. As you do.

*makes for a great occasional table and as it's zinc lined a pretty good wine chest.

Beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Thirdfox wrote: »

To make it watch related - it would be some brave guy who would wear this watch in Europe/US without need to constantly explain how he's actually Hindu and this is their sign for good luck:
    https://www.zazzle.com/handskull_swastika_hindu_good_luck_sports_watch-256539566483114435

Cycling tourist is frantically scraping the pennies together at home for his next purchase as we speak ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

redlead wrote: »
    Cycling tourist is frantically scraping the pennies together at home for his next purchase as we speak ;-)

Oh he's already spent them

Mark those as NSFW or we'll all be up in front of HR. As much as we admire German WW2 engineering, I did a day trip to the deutsches museum which was great, followed by the next day by a trip to Dachau. You need to do both to get the full picture.Alan Turing is my current hero, i'ld say he would have made a hell of a watch.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Come to Japan or India - swastikas everywhere (and yes in both directions) - just like how the KKK don't "own" the white hoods, I find it nice that there are places in the world where the swastika is used for its more "original" purpose as a symbol for prosperity and peace:

I remember from my youth in Dublin the vans of the Swastika Laundry. The firm predated the Nazis. They could be seen in Dublin till the late-1980s and the laundry chimney which still stands (minus Swastika) had a Swastika painted on it that could be seen from most places in Ballsbridge.

The bit about estd. 1912 was apparently added in 1939 for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I remember from my youth in Dublin the vans of the Swastika Laundry. The firm predated the Nazis.

I seem to remember reading somewhere here on boards, that they used electric vans!
    Long before green was cool and faster than a milk float too ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

njburke wrote: »
    Mark those as NSFW or we'll all be up in front of HR. As much as we admire German WW2 engineering, I did a day trip to the deutsches museum which was great, followed by the next day by a trip to Dachau. You need to do both to get the full picture.
    Oh defo. The full picture is most certainly required NJ. It was a vile period in history and that vile regime directly and indirectly killed tens of millions of people. Like with anything I try to look at the balance of things. Looking at the Apollo moon landings, one of the greatest achievements in human history(Speedie owners swelling with pride. At least I hope it's pride. You can never tell with Omega pervert types... :D ). Born of the the Cold War which kept it cool in many ways, but also born out of Nazi scientists and their technology and many confirmed Nazis with it and some of the nastier atrocities too. That went unpunished by the US and ended up being lauded(Fair play to the Russians, they did punish the ones they captured). Never mind it directly led to making weapons of human extinction more effective, though thankfully never used. I can look at say an Avro Lancaster bomber with admiration for what it is as a thing, even though it helped firebomb and reduce many tens of thousands of men women and children to ashes and bitter memory. Few enough things in our lives are wholly untainted by the blood of someone. Hell we could be wearing clothes made in sweatshops by child labour today. The morality of objects can be a knotty problem indeed and made knottier with investigation and the blinders off. It's one of the main reasons why we all need some absolutes to some degree. Makes life easier.

For my part as far as issued military watches went I long ago made a decision of sorts that if I were to collect any they'd be from the Axis powers of WW2*. Why? Well I never served in the military, I never had to face the horrors of war and if I did I'd likely be found cowering in a closet. I grew up knowing relatives that did and against the nazis. But I did like the look and history of mil watches, so decided that the Axis powers ones were more in keeping with my own personal morality. IE if the man who had worn one originally had been a full blood nazi, he'd be spinning in his grave to see someone like me, holding the beliefs I hold, wearing it. Good. If he had been an ordinary man caught up in the maelstrom of war and patriotism, like beyond the propaganda so many were, then he'd be OK with it.
    Alan Turing is my current hero, i'ld say he would have made a hell of a watch.
    Turing was a true genius, an old style boffin, and what happened to that man was a tragedy and obscenity. A damned good hero to have IMHO. Though I suspect if he had designed a watch it would either be perfect simplicity itself, or you'd need to be another boffin to read it. :)

*some exceptions were a Longines Czech pilots watch, but it wasn't an issued one(which made it cheaper. Cos I'm tight as a gnat's arse :D). Still raging many years later I sold that on... Even my Heuer "BUND" isn't one as it was never issued. And a Marathon Navigator as issued to US military types, but I got that through a mate who was in the US military. Who incidentally couldn't fathom why I wanted one as they all wore and preferred G-Shocks and Ironmans

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You'd be keeping them out of the hands of people who love collecting nazi memorabilia "for history sake" - but just focus on the nazis for some reason...

Speaking of turning in graves - I shudder to think how many grandfathers would be turning in their graves at the amount of neo-nazis in the US/UK etc. today (seemingly more in the US?)

Still, I would love to collect/preserve some Allied stuff too - to keep those items preserved (or maybe just let the museums do that - I'd be more liable to break something I think!).

Speaking of Von Braun and co - a lot of modern Japanese pharma companies have some colourful roots too back to WWII - some even back to Unit 731 I believe (think Japanese Josef Mengele at a unit level of operation). War is horrible horrible stuff - after my tour at the BMW museum I toured Dachau too - my "favourite" tour in Germany by far - just to hear about how ordinary people can be twisted into something so horrible - and really you and I may be capable of the same things if we were patriotic Germans/Japanese back in 1939.

...looked it up - yup founder of Green Cross was a war criminal from Unit 731 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Cross_(Japanese_company) - but the US had the USSR to worry about post WW2 and medical "research" was shared after all...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731 - for those who don't know (understandably focus is on Germany here in Europe) about this unit including the immunity given to "researchers" for their medical data by the US...

But none of the above is really about watches ha - need something less grim to think about now - I've a Hamtun H2 on the wrist - hope Ross is doing okay - he's been incognito for a few months now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Pffft. Amateurs. Meanwhile. Me. Earlier

snip

Wibbs: We'll take the spruce moose! Hop in!
    Smithers: But sir it's just a mod....

Wibbs: I said "hop in"

*cocks revolver*

Loads to think about there, especially the space race being an alternative to military conflict.

Any way back on topic, and I hope I'm not tempting fate here as this watch is only in transit it to me rather than in my posession. I have had several watches fail to materialise since I started collecting the little blighters.

I have one French watch in my collection, a Nappey (Tour de France sponsors 1958-60), so I thought I'ld chance another French brand. I know wibbs has one, which I did covet, a bit.

This new watch predates the technology in my Bulova Accutron, which has a tuning fork with coils , a transistor and resistor.
    Instead it has a balance wheel (inductive coupled to a coil fed from a battery) which triggers a switch and a snubber diode to protect the switch from back EMF.

Voila, the Lip Super Nautic ski.

524423.jpg

Vintage, check
    Electronic, check
    Divers,Check
    Funky 60's styling , check.
    Confirmed running, em, no but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Been a while since I posted, hope your all keeping well.

Unfortunately not too many beach days this summer but today was a good one. Shogun on a turtle strap, stock strap is absolute tripe but this feels good.

gQZC5vz.jpg

Stowa Classic 40, no-date or branding on the dial.

I bought this firstly because it's very legible and then because it's a well made watch with a great movement (ETA 2824-2).

524452.JPG

The backdrop is arranged to feature a great reference book on WWII aircraft that's proving very useful as I read Adolf Galland's The First and the Last.

524446.JPG

The other books are by authors I respect and enjoy reading. David Irving isn't one of them. While undoubtedly a great researcher he is a polemicist with a strong bias towards Hitler and the Nazis.

You wear your watch on the right hand?

You wear your watch on the right hand?

Yes, I'm a leftie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Stowa Classic 40, no-date or branding on the dial.

Nice to see the flieger go to a good home ;)

I'm not jealous :P
    I didn't know I wanted it, until I couldn't have it!
    Very much like my mates wife ;) :pac:

Well wear, enjoy it and a nice library shot too.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Nice to see the flieger go to a good home ;)

I'm not jealous :P
    I didn't know I wanted it, until I couldn't have it!
    Very much like my mates wife ;) :pac:

Well wear, enjoy it and a nice library shot too.
    Yeah it was sitting in the box not seeing the light of day so glad it's found a home. Super value at 600 euro. I had one lonesome look at the movement before sending it on its way last night. If I hadn't bought the speedmaster I'd have kept it for sure.. in other news stowa emailed me today to say my marine watch is serviced and ready for return. Hope to have it next week

Just had one of the push pins on my Alpinist's bracelet replaced after I buggered it up doing the sizing.

524703.JPG

524712.JPG

The new G shock does Pizza time.
    Order then start timer when email arrives.

524724.jpg

The last Apache pizza I had was terrible. The base was indigestible and the tomato sauce tasted awful.

Never again.

The choice of teenage boys I'm afraid, they'll learn eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Those g-shocks are quality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

A lot of watch for the money!

Have sold 3 in the last 6 months (speedmaster, Nomos Ahoi and Stowa marine). Down to 5. Will likely put both my Omega on the chopping block in the coming weeks as I focus my collection down.

4-A2-D174-A-8-F44-4-BE1-8-BBF-B8-DA01-F0-F728.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Whats your plan? Are you focusing on high horology brands now like your VC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

redlead wrote: »
    Whats your plan? Are you focusing on high horology brands now like your VC?

That’s the long term ish plan. Keep the aquanaut and the VC. Add an ALS. But plans are made to change...

• Advertisement

My Stowa Marine back from service today. Brand new..

IMG-20200831-131728.jpg
    IMG-20200831-131724.jpg
    IMG-20200831-131723.jpg
    IMG-20200831-131726.jpg
    IMG-20200831-131722.jpg
    potato

I had ordered a house of straps horween shell cordovan strap in Navy which arrived while it was away. Beautiful combination.

This is one definitely a keeper

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement