Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Stowa wins the lume wars.

525008.JPG

I was watching the movie 'The Battle of Britain' a few nights ago and noticed the pilot of a He 111 who was bailing out in the final air-battle scene was wearing an original B-Uhr 55mmn.
    Adolf Galland was an advisor on the film and the bit where the German Luftwaffe officer tells Goring he'd like a squadron of Spitfires is taken straight from his memoirs which I read on my tablet last week. Interesting book if a bit self-serving as with most war memoirs by high ranking former-combatants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭micks_address

That's awesome lume...super legible watch...a steal really at the price

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    Had my TC-9 bronze diver delivered this morning.

CT's fabulous lume shot of the Stowa (and on a fantastic book too) I have a copy of an earlier edit of it.
    Great resource for modelling and research.

Anyway, that lume shot left me thinking I should go and check out the lume on my new acquisition...
    I'm disappointed :(

It's a lovely watch, and fantastic value! But the lume is shíte.
    Not at all suitable for diving IMO but shur, it's still a lovely watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    That looks great!
    I just sprinted down the stairs to check the post... mine hasn't arrived yet :rolleyes:

I wont get to wear it for a couple of weeks until my birthday anyway.

I actually added that navy strap on to my order for the my seiko

Mine arrived today :D I'll get a quick look at it before it has to be put away until my birthday in a couple of weeks.

For some reason I ordered a brown strap instead of the blue. The brown is lovely and Ill use it on another watch but I'm raging I didn't get the blue for my seiko. I may just order a cheap bracelet off amazon for it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

CT's fabulous lume shot of the Stowa (and on a fantastic book too) I have a copy of an earlier edit of it.
    Great resource for modelling and research.
    I have a first edition of the same book. It's the original edit as it were. :D I collected a few of the first editions of WW2 pilots and mariners back when they could he had for feck all and were mostly easy to come by. I love the hand done cover art of the 50's stuff and the fact they hadn't been cleaned up by later editors and viewpoints and were very much of their time. Though funny and unlike Cyclingtourist, I found of all the books written by pilots on both sides I found Galland's one of the least self serving and most honest.

525040.jpg

My poor oul 1972 Girard Perregaux "Tron" dial. Sadly the date mechanism is playing up(a common failing with them, even though designed and made by JLC) so in need of a service. Who would take it on is the next thing. Someone good, as any damage to the extremely rare dial would be a right pain. I'm glad I found and kept a couple of spare movements when they were as cheap as chips. Muy importante with early quartz and electronic watches.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm glad I found and kept a couple of spare movements when they were as cheap as chips. Muy importante with early quartz and electronic watches.

Now you tell me, after I buy an electro mechanical.:-)
    I'll have a look for the adolf galland book, I watched battle of britain movie recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Seagull 1963 sitting on Adolf G's great adversary.

525086.JPG

June 12th 1944 edition of Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Blub123

Got my constellation 168.0010 with the Pie Pan Dial out this evening for some wrist time tomorrow... Still my favourite.

525144.jpg

525145.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Here is the watch I got today, natural wood and stone

525306.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I have a very similar one on my own wrist today!

qrT3CRNl.jpeg

Enjoy Surreptitious!

• Advertisement

Oh that is gorgeous! I prefer bigger watches, mine looked bigger when advertised but some women's watches can be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Was at a relatives today and he has had this lovely Bulova pocket watch since Christmas 1964 when his wife bought it for him :)

In mint condition, don't think it ever left the box beautiful, in the hand you'd swear it was only made last week

17 jewel,

17AL movement. Best I can find is a site or two saying movement was created in 1959? Can't seem to narrow down the watches age more as to whether it was made in '64 or was sitting in a shop for a couple years. Would appreciate if anyone would have any idea if narrowing down the exact manufacture date

Still tremendous for a 57-62 year old watch

525407.jpg

525410.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

image.jpg
    photo sharing free

image.jpg

GW-5000.

My go-to watch for the gym and sport. Low-profile enough that it doesn’t catch on clothes like a chunkier watch and has a perfect amount of functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I've been wearing the rubber strap on my SMP 300m for the past couple of months and while it's comfortable, I've fallen out of love with how it looks on the wrist. To my eyes the matte finish of the rubber does not complement the high polish on parts of the case.

So it was time to get the bracelet out again.

IMG-20200904-152140.jpg
    IMG-20200904-152243.jpg
    IMG-20200904-152323.jpg

Really like how the ceramic bezel changes from grey to black depending on the light.
    IMG-20200904-152503-01.jpg
    IMG-20200904-152508.jpg

I think Omega got the bracelet right with the 2012-2017 models, still true to the original SMP design but with a more contemporary look and feel. Back in love with this watch again and reckon it'll be staying on the bracelet for the foreseeable future.
    IMG-20200904-153143.jpg
    IMG-20200904-153149.jpg
    IMG-20200904-154119-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@ElJono, I must say I do prefer the plain black dial to the new wave version.
    Taste is entirely subjective of course ;) but it just seems a far more pleasing aesthetic to my eye.

Lovely watch :)

@ElJono, I must say I do prefer the plain black dial to the new wave version.
    Taste is entirely subjective of course ;) but it just seems a far more pleasing aesthetic to my eye.

Lovely watch :)

Thanks Banie. Funny you say that as I initially planned on going for the newer version with the ceramic wave dial. I think it looks great but when I tried one on over the summer, it just didn't work for me.

The wave grooves are quite exaggerated, there's more contrast between the bezel and the inlaid numbers and it's a slightly larger piece overall. The net result being that it was just a bit too attention-grabbing for my liking. That's what got me looking at the back catalogue and how I settled on this model. It has the ceramic bezel and co-axial movement that I wanted, but is more subtle and easier to wear.

I did a regulation check this morning and the watch has lost about 40 secs over the past 2 months, super impressed with the movement so far.

thats some pretty impressive timekeeping. people say it matters feic all if its 2 second or 10 seconds... but i could go weeks without bothering setting the time on my aqua terra... i remember on my steinhart i would have to set once a week as it was noticeably off by the end of the week.. love the Seamaster is the perfect dive watch aesthetic for me..
    have you tried the crafter blue rubber straps? They look nice.. thinking of ordering one to go with my skx mod
    eljono wrote: »
    Thanks Banie. Funny you say that as I initially planned on going for the newer version with the ceramic wave dial. I think it looks great but when I tried one on over the summer, it just didn't work for me.

The wave grooves are quite exaggerated, there's more contrast between the bezel and the inlaid numbers and it's a slightly larger piece overall. The net result being that it was just a bit too attention-grabbing for my liking. That's what got me looking at the back catalogue and how I settled on this model. It has the ceramic bezel and co-axial movement that I wanted, but is more subtle and easier to wear.

I did a regulation check this morning and the watch has lost about 40 secs over the past 2 months, super impressed with the movement so far.

thats some pretty impressive timekeeping. people say it matters feic all if its 2 second or 10 seconds... but i could go weeks without bothering setting the time on my aqua terra... i remember on my steinhart i would have to set once a week as it was noticeably off by the end of the week.. love the Seamaster is the perfect dive watch aesthetic for me..
    have you tried the crafter blue rubber straps? They look nice.. thinking of ordering one to go with my skx mod

My Speedie triple date was similar, I was resetting the time on it probably weekly. In comparison my Globemaster with the 8900 co-axial keeps perfect time and rarely needs resetting so I decided that the Speedie replacement needed to have a more modern co-axial movement.

I haven't tried a Crafter strap, have admired some on this forum though, seem to be a popular choice for Seikos. Must take a look and see if they had a suitable one for SMP.

Pic from Friday evening... a much happier time than Monday morning!

rc9ZlBTl.jpg

Popped this guy on a new rios slip vintage strap that arrived today. Suits the size of the watch much better and it's super comfy

PXL-20200907-131945242.jpg
    PXL-20200907-131942889.jpg
    PXL-20200907-131941216.jpg

• Advertisement

Super Watch. Love everything about it. The champfered crystal is fantastic. Dimensions are perfect. That's not a small watch, it's perfectly formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Omg, what have I bought!

ce8kgac.jpg

Ps4UWBU.jpg

Almost bought one a couple of months ago

Wasn't cheap, €70. But it's pretty good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭893bet

Very nice. AP like.

Fitz could have saved himself 25 odd grand if he held out.

It looks more expensive than 70 euro.

It looks more expensive than 70 euro.

Did you get the watch and kit for 70 euro? Good price if so... casiooak on its own about 99 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

I bought the stealth casioak a few months ago but sold it straight away. I liked the idea of a gshock but they just aren't my thing. Got double retail for it which was nice 👌

Did you get the watch and kit for 70 euro? Good price if so... casiooak on its own about 99 euro?

No, kit is 70. I had the watch already. It's pricey for Aliexpress, most of their watches don't cost that. It's good quality for ali. Springbars instead of screws between the links which is annoying, but decent quality all the same.

Comes in a nice box with little screwdrivers and springbar removal tool and new screws for the case protector.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any experience with NTH watches? What is the general opinion on them? I have never seen one in the wild and wondering what they are like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement