Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Nothing wrong with that focus too. I appreciate a decent glass of wine as I do a nice watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

I picked up Casio's 'Tough Leather' synthetic leather/resin combo strap for my snappily titled GST-W130BC-1A3ER. Their names might suck, but I do like their watches.

522912.JPEG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Eoin wrote: »
    One quartz replaced with another - hard to capture the detail of this properly, but the fit & finish really is superb.

That's some watch. I love the style of the gmt hand. Gold and silver look good on it too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

david wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that focus too. I appreciate a decent glass of wine as I do a nice watch!
    I see a grand watch alright, but I see no wine in that pic Sir. The only libation appears to be of a pale nature, not blood red so clearly can't be wine. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Wibbs wrote: »
    I see a grand watch alright, but I see no wine in that pic Sir. The only libation appears to be of a pale nature, not blood red so clearly can't be wine. :D

A Lidl white is good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wibbs wrote: »

You know your watches but you obviously know very little about wine :pac:

I can't think of a better wine to drink on a warm afternoon than the one Cyclingtourist picked. Nice choice, Sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

TedR wrote: »
    I also looked up the listing for Somebody Elses HMT Janata, I like watches with unusual scripts on the dial...
    I was amused to note one clause in the Post and Packaging section, not sure I can comply...

" This service done by the INDIA POST “ Registered Mail Service” It will take approx. 2 to 4 week after being dispatched for the shipment delivered. You will have to sing on delivery."

I decided to dance instead but it was caused by speed of delivery:
    522946.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Finally!
    It's finally arrived!!!
    I am in awe of how lovely this little watch is, how well it wears and how absolutely beautiful the coffin link bracelet is.

It's a 50y.o watch, so the lume is shot, but I don't care :D
    I actually own an Astronaut GMT with the "good" bracelet!

Thanks to folks on this sub who turned me on on to its existence, my wife however, would rather she had the money ;)

IMG-20200814-085650.jpg IMG-20200814-085638.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

Really cool watch. From a distance looks bit like steinhart ocean vintage gmt

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wow that lume aged beautifully. Fantastic watch. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

banie01 wrote: »
    Finally!
    It's finally arrived!!!
    I am in awe of how lovely this little watch is, how well it wears and how absolutely beautiful the coffin link bracelet is.

It's a 50y.o watch, so the lume is shot, but I don't care :D
    I actually own an Astronaut GMT with the "good" bracelet!

Thanks to folks on this sub who turned me on on to its existence, my wife however, would rather she had the money ;)

Wow, an actual Blackbird watch!
    How cool is that?
    On the proper coffin link bracelet too.

With the greatest of respect, you are indeed, a jammy git.

Well wear.

I much prefer this to the Space View editions, or later Astronaut versions.

A cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

The two I have out at the moment, rest are tucked away...

OIFv6cP.jpg

Forgot about the speedy was at the back of the wardrobe in the red service case, will be selling it soon just don't wear it at all.
    Gi1siaV.jpg

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Wow, an actual Blackbird watch!
    How cool is that?
    On the proper coffin link bracelet too.

With the greatest of respect, you are indeed, a jammy git.

Well wear.

I much prefer this to the Space View editions, or later Astronaut versions.

A cracker.

As can be seen from my contributions to the other obsessions thread, aviation is a love of mine.
    It was only on this sub that I discovered there was a specific issue watch for the Blackbird pilots.

I would never have known if it wasn't for posters on here sharing knowledge.
    Once I knew it existed, I had to get one ;)
    Started stalking US auctions and within a few weeks managed to get hold of exactly what I was after :D

Granted, I bought it 3 months ago and am only seeing it in the flesh for the 1st time today.
    I love it, it's a convergence of my oldest hobby and my newest in a really lovely piece.

@Wibbs, agree with you on the lume. It's aged really nicely.
    The hum is bloody great too :D

Something a lot simpler and smaller

IMG-20200814-110119.jpg

Picked up on US forum last week.

Parts list:
    36mm oyster-style case, screw down back & crown, with 20mm lugs
    Seiko NH35 movement
    Namoki explorer dial
    Namoki mercedes hands
    GS Thin-Tite acrylic crystal
    20-16mm jubilee bracelet

Wants to try a 36mm.. seems tiny compared to speedmaster which is my daily at the moment. Good chance I'll be passing this along if anyone has any interest

Was posted last Friday arrived today

banie01 wrote: »
    As can be seen from my contributions to the other obsessions thread, aviation is a love of mine.
    It was only on this sub that I discovered there was a specific issue watch for the Blackbird pilots.

I would never have known if it wasn't for posters on here sharing knowledge.
    Once I knew it existed, I had to get one ;)
    Started stalking US auctions and within a few weeks managed to get hold of exactly what I was after :D

Granted, I bought it 3 months ago and am only seeing it in the flesh for the 1st time today.
    I love it, it's a convergence of my oldest hobby and my newest in a really lovely piece.

@Wibbs, agree with you on the lume. It's aged really nicely.
    The hum is bloody great too :D

Can I ask, ball park, what you paid? Last time I looked, though probably last year, prices seemed fairly stable.

Popped my speedmaster on Omega nato today. Have had it a while but have enjoyed wearing it on the bracelet. No denying the comfort of the nato

IMG-20200814-143130.jpg
    IMG-20200814-143136.jpg
    IMG-20200814-143139.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Mac D may I ask where you got the the two watch leather case, its very nice. Not to mention the contents too obviously
    :-)

Can I ask, ball park, what you paid? Last time I looked, though probably last year, prices seemed fairly stable.

No problem, happy to share the info.
    When this model of watch and its backstory popped up on the thread, it really set off a must have one yearning in me.

Found it quite hard to find any outside of eBay when I started looking. There is a guy in Poland who specializes in refurbing and selling them but for what I wanted I was looking at @€;1200.

Had some alerts set on Watchcharts and watchrecon and I got the auction alert for the one I bought.
    I bid via liveauction for it and won it at $550usd, sounds great!
    Then I had to pay the buyers premium of $137.50 which bumped the purchase up to $687.50.

I then had to use a pick and pack service in the US to collect and ship the watch to the refurb guy.
    Luckily the auction house and the repair service were both in Illinois so that only cost me $35.
    Repair and sympathetic refurb along with return postage to me cost another @$200 all in.
    So all in the watch cost me @$900usd/€;850.

With everything lining up for me the way it did when I started the search for it, I couldn't actually pass it up.

Live Auctions is a great resource btw, but US auctions do get pricey when you factor in buyer premia.

Its still quite a bit less than I'd budgeted for buying one when I started looking and!!!
    I get the added benefit of learning a bit about US auctions, pack and ship services and made a new contact in the repair guy I used.

@banie01: Thanks for that.

Was only looking at eBay, would not have thought of Live Auctions or that ilk.

Good skillz there, well played.

This is one of the few non-mechanicals I'd be reasonably confident in buying as they are very modular and serviceable.

@banie01: Thanks for that.

Was only looking at eBay, would not have thought of Live Auctions or that ilk.

Good skillz there, well played.

No skills at all other than sheer dumb luck when I found it :D
    It was the 1st one listed on liveauctioneers in 2/3yrs and just happened to be a couple of weeks after I started looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Something a lot simpler and smaller

Picked up on US forum last week.

Parts list:
    36mm oyster-style case, screw down back & crown, with 20mm lugs
    Seiko NH35 movement
    Namoki explorer dial
    Namoki mercedes hands
    GS Thin-Tite acrylic crystal
    20-16mm jubilee bracelet

Wants to try a 36mm.. seems tiny compared to speedmaster which is my daily at the moment. Good chance I'll be passing this along if anyone has any interest

Was posted last Friday arrived today

Nice, very nice.
    I'm finding 36-38mm cases being very comfortable and suitable to my 18cm wrist.

This NH35A have date complication - does it means you watch have ghost position on the crown ?

Tom

Could you let me know if/when you decide to part with it?

Nice, very nice.
    I'm finding 36-38mm cases being very comfortable and suitable to my 18cm wrist.

This NH35A have date complication - does it means you watch have ghost position on the crown ?

Tom

Could you let me know if/when you decide to part with it?

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

TedR wrote: »
    Mac D may I ask where you got the the two watch leather case, its very nice. Not to mention the contents too obviously
    :-)

Yeah no worries its an Everest two watch roll
    https://www.everestbands.com/products/the-everest-watch-roll-2-watches?variant=12377588334654

Got mine sent over via the states, but you can buy it via a few dealers in the UK.

Or this crowd here
    https://www.watchstraps.ie/products/everest-watch-roll-for-2-watches-espresso-brown?_pos=56&_sid=4bcb4a4fa&_ss=r

Its really nice quality and defo worth the money, if buying via the US beware of customs I got stung for a couple of quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Mac daddy wrote: »
    Yeah no worries its an Everest two watch roll
    https://www.everestbands.com/products/the-everest-watch-roll-2-watches?variant=12377588334654

Got mine sent over via the states, but you can buy it via a few dealers in the UK.

Or this crowd here
    https://www.watchstraps.ie/products/everest-watch-roll-for-2-watches-espresso-brown?_pos=56&_sid=4bcb4a4fa&_ss=r

Its really nice quality and defo worth the money, if buying via the US beware of customs I got stung for a couple of quid!

Wish I’d found that website a few months ago, would have saved over €150 on a rubber strap after customs stuck their paw in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I never heard of live auctions until I saw Banie mention it on this thread. Clicked into it last night and before I knew it I was bidding on a few Cartier Santos that I really shouldn't be buying. Got blown out of the water though, I couldn't believe how high they were going for considering the 20 percent buyers premium. Thank God anyway, I would have been in trouble :-P

Liveauctioneers is dangerous :eek:
    It sucks you in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Popped my speedmaster on Omega nato today. Have had it a while but have enjoyed wearing it on the bracelet. No denying the comfort of the nato
    ]

That is by far the best nato for a the speedmaster. I had that in my plan before deciding it wasn’t worth the hassle when I knew it wasnt staying.

893bet wrote: »
    That is by far the best nato for a the speedmaster. I had that in my plan before deciding it wasn’t worth the hassle when I knew it wasnt staying.

I think of all my watches so far the speedmaster is staying... Nothing else is getting a look in at the moment. I guess it's the novelty of a new relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I think of all my watches so far the speedmaster is staying... Nothing else is getting a look in at the moment. I guess it's the novelty of a new relationship.

Did you hold onto the Tudor Ranger? I was looking at it when the previous owner was selling and you’d bought it by the time I got the funds together for it 😢

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I found a Poljot catalogue for 2002 online that shows my recent purchase.

523101.JPG

The online file was in pdf form so I downloaded and printed it so I could take a photo.
    Looks like their marketing was presenting this line of watches on a space theme. Although I can't read Russian some of the spec. info is pretty obvious.

523102.JPG

I think 2002 was the last catalogue they published before going out of business.
    The link to Russian watch catalogues is on this page. https://vintagewatchinc.com/links/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement