Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

eljono wrote: »
    Beautiful Polaris, do you have it long? Its a watch I've admired from afar but have never tried one on.

I've had it a couple of weeks.

No Polaris to try on in Weirs, Sheerans etc. In fairness it's probably a bit niche, they would likely sell a lot more Reverso and Master.

It was a funny time, just post-lockdown, when I started looking, and they were all at sixes and sevens when I went in, maybe they have more stock now.

I have a Reverso already for dressier occasions, so the brief for this watch was everyday wear ... A bit sporty but a bit smart too.

All going well next watch will likely be a Master Compressor... A Diving, Memovox or Chronograph.

Probably a Master Compressor Diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

This week I have been mostly wearing this.

ABE159-DF-88-C8-45-C0-AC1-E-02-C3-DC8-CDEBF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Strap-swap Sunday

523966.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

Picked up a canvass strap and it arrived today.

Makes this look and feel a lot better.

The included bracelet was bottom of the bin type quality

00100lr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20200824122410916-COVER.jpg

Busy Monday in work......both my Omegas are definitely gently edging towards the door......still very nice to look at of a Monday.

C5-DFB9-E0-1-F3-E-41-C2-B3-CC-269-AD91-BE08-E.jpg

• Advertisement

You have 'graduated' to the next level :) i think Omega is my everest for the moment. Seen a boxed skyfall looking for 4.7k? USD on watchukseek. I think it would go 2.5 sterling on TZ easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You have 'graduated' to the next level :)

You do realise you are insulting him with that remark? Insinuating he is only moving up from phase 3 at this stage? :pac:

I have forgotten what the levels are at this stage but I think I had skipped most of them if I recall..... onto a different graph characterised entirely of a stage of only wanting watches you can’t afford.

You have 'graduated' to the next level :) i think Omega is my everest for the moment. Seen a boxed skyfall looking for 4.7k? USD on watchukseek. I think it would go 2.5 sterling on TZ easy enough

4.7 US? I would hand deliver it to the states for that and still be ahead.

unkel wrote: »
    You do realise you are insulting him with that remark? Insinuating he is only moving up from phase 3 at this stage? :pac:

I did think about that afterwards... I was more thinking what he was leaving behind than attaining at this stage :)

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    4.7 US? I would hand deliver it to the states for that and still be ahead.

Yeah seems high alright

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/for-sale-omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-james-bond-skyfall-38-5mm.5228765/#post-52279094

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Another affordable Casio arrived today, a GBX 100. Syncs to phone and has tide and fitness/step tracker. It also has a very nice matrix display.

524159.jpg
    524160.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

For those who don't know Operation Desert Shield was what America called its mission to oust Saddam Hussein from Kuwait, commonly called the First Gulf War (late 1990-early 1991). The dial shows the U.S. flag super-imposed on the emblem of Saudi Arabia.

Pedant: Desert Storm was the war against Iraq forces in Kuwait. Desert Shield was the phase where they were bolstering the defences in the region (primarily SA).

njburke wrote: »
    Another affordable Casio arrived today, a GBX 100. Syncs to phone and has tide and fitness/step tracker. It also has a very nice matrix display.

Those displays are a massive improvement on the old negative ones. Hope the tech makes its way into a module for the steel series. Really fancy the gaudy “gold” model, but can’t deal with the legibility of it currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Legibility and viewing angle is excellent on the display. Some of the font sizes are too small though. Scrolling text would fix that, but I suspect the refresh rate needed to achieve scrolling is not possible with the current technology. The stop watch for example doesn't show 1/100ths. Casio could have got round that by just showing 1/100ths in the stopped state.
    It's battery powered, either the display is power hungry or they couldnt integrate solar and the negative display, light only passing through the negative portion of a sandwege display panel.

Only slight regret is I didn't get the blue one. I think this will be a good seller for Casio.

Pedant: Desert Storm was the war against Iraq forces in Kuwait. Desert Shield was the phase where they were bolstering the defences in the region (primarily SA).

To characterize Desert Shield as purely defensive is misleading. It involved a build up of forces to either intimidate Saddam Hussein into withdrawing from Kuwait or failing that providing the military capability to force a withdrawal.
    That's why I used the word 'mission' .

To characterize Desert Shield as purely defensive is misleading. It involved a build up of forces to either intimidate Saddam Hussein into withdrawing from Kuwait or failing that providing the military capability to force a withdrawal.
    That's why I used the word 'mission' .

Poor form Cyclingtourist. Misleading is where you selectively forget that you explicitly referenced the war. Hadn’t you mentioned that you could somewhat/badly argued that you could merge it into one single event, rather than two very distinct operations. Who doesn’t remember General “Shielding” Schawrzkopf!!! Did I really have to explain the implicit threat of the arrival of carrier battle groups etc? Disappointing.

Here's one I took earlier.

524176.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

njburke wrote: »

Very nice!

I want another gshock and that looks like a great option. I love the blue one.

If it had a heartbeat monitor it would be perfect

8-B64-E1-C0-EAFE-4-DF4-BF24-50-E20-E7-B12-CC.jpg

1-CEF533-B-11-FC-4-B1-A-AD12-C6326-A7704-A4.jpg

JLC Reverso, both sides.

The strap is from Camille Fournet - in brown calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I've had it a couple of weeks.

No Polaris to try on in Weirs, Sheerans etc. In fairness it's probably a bit niche, they would likely sell a lot more Reverso and Master.

It was a funny time, just post-lockdown, when I started looking, and they were all at sixes and sevens when I went in, maybe they have more stock now.

I have a Reverso already for dressier occasions, so the brief for this watch was everyday wear ... A bit sporty but a bit smart too.

All going well next watch will likely be a Master Compressor... A Diving, Memovox or Chronograph.

Probably a Master Compressor Diving.

JLC Reverso, both sides.

The strap is from Camille Fournet - in brown calf.

Great pairing, two beautiful watches that fly under the radar except for those in the know.

I really admire a lot of JLC models but have never owned one. I tried on and considered a Reverson Squadra Hometime back in January but it was too tall and large for me. And a few months ago when looking for a 300M SMP, considered a Polaris from C24, but didn't want to pull the trigger without ever having tried one on.

I have heard some interesting stories about JLC servicing costs, how has your experience been?

eljono wrote: »

I have heard some interesting stories about JLC servicing costs, how has your experience been?

I've serviced two Reversos and they were somewhere around the 600 euro mark each. That was about five years ago.

There is a service calculator on the JLC website where you can enter the serial number of your watch and get a service quote. I popped it in just now for this Reverso and apparently for a regular service / classic maintenance, with no additional work, it is €590.

Some further details on how they handle their shipping kits here: https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/en/customer-services/send-my-watch-for-service.html

It may be more expensive to service things like the Master Compressor range but I actually don't know whether that's really the case or just something people say.

I'd consider doing the service with another provider next time, if it was markedly cheaper, but I'm not that fussed either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

That's a beautiful reverso. Whats your wrist size out of interest? Is that an XL model? The Master Control Calendar is probably my grail watch at the moment; although my head keeps getting turned by some Cartiers. The reverso could be a good compromise.

redlead wrote: »
    That's a beautiful reverso. Whats your wrist size out of interest? Is that an XL model? The Master Control Calendar is probably my grail watch at the moment; although my head keeps getting turned by some Cartiers. The reverso could be a good compromise.

It's a Grande Reverso 976.

I actually don't know what size my wrists are, sorry...! I would have said they're fairly middle of the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Can't believe 893bet still has the Omegas, they truly are wonderful pieces

Just to illustrate the point I was making when I first posted pics of my ODS Komandirskie about how the overlaid palm tree motif resonates historically with the Afrika Korps crest.

524330.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just to illustrate the point I was making when I first posted pics of my ODS Komandirskie about how the overlaid palm tree motif resonates historically with the Afrika Korps crest.

For a second I was thinking, that's a mad thing to have on your wall!

Birneybau wrote: »
    For a second I was thinking, that's a mad thing to have on your wall!

As long as it was only for a second. Reminds me of that Father Ted episode where he gets the reputation as Craggy Island's resident Nazi. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

As long as it was only for a second. Reminds me of that Father Ted episode where he gets the reputation as Craggy Island's resident Nazi. :-)

I hear you're a racist now Cyclingtourist :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

david wrote: »
    I hear you're a racist now Cyclingtourist :pac:

Mmmm....
    I wonder what else is in CT's past :eek:

?width=360&version=1092997

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement