Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

dudeeile wrote: »
    To me it seemed like there was a fracture running from one of the teeth on a wheel, I noticed this with bare vision, looking at it using a loupe was inconclusive, I could see a jagged line but was it a crack? I had brought my concern to the seller and was basically told that I should not be using a loupe to inspect the watch and all was fine.

Now honestly, I'm not sure if there was damage or not but there did seem to be. I expected the seller to offer to send me a replacement and I return the original to them, let them inspect it and if all is fine, they can re-sell it, if not then I was correct.

Now I'm returning the watch for a full refund, I won't be buying from them again.

I guess from the sellers point of view the quality is commensurate with the price and they wouldn’t expect examination under a loupe.

Put a Rolex under a loupe and you will find flaws.......often seen in watch finder videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Cyrus wrote: »
    yes had the blue one, its quite a bit different from the sub, polished centre links, no glidelock, different bezel, different case, gives a very different feel imo.

I was very surprised about myself, but I really like the polished centre links (exact same bracelet on the Yacht master as is on my Milgauss) compared to the same bracelet with the brushed centre links on my Explorer. I thought I wouldn't like the bling, but I do!

Also the more elegant case appeals to me, the maxi case of the sub is just too much case, too little watch :p

Would really, really have liked the glide lock as my wrist swells well more than the 5mm the easy lock system provides :(

The high end precious metal Yacht master got the glide lock in the most recent update. I wish Rolex would make it an optional extra on all of the oyster bracelet watches...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

893bet wrote: »
    I guess from the sellers point of view the quality is commensurate with the price and they wouldn’t expect examination under a loupe.

Put a Rolex under a loupe and you will find flaws.......often seen in watch finder videos.

Well a defect is a defect in my book, irrespective of the price. I do hear what you are saying all the same, very surprised about the rolex comment, really? I would imagine that should you inform them they would replace all the same but still very surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

unkel wrote: »
    I was very surprised about myself, but I really like the polished centre links (exact same bracelet on the Yacht master as is on my Milgauss) compared to the same bracelet with the brushed centre links on my Explorer. I thought I wouldn't like the bling, but I do!

Also the more elegant case appeals to me, the maxi case of the sub is just too much case, too little watch :p

Would really, really have liked the glide lock as my wrist swells well more than the 5mm the easy lock system provides :(

The high end precious metal Yacht master got the glide lock in the most recent update. I wish Rolex would make it an optional extra on all of the oyster bracelet watches...

you can buy it and fit it, people have done.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=383790

which yachtmaster got glidelock? i think its the WG one on strap? not bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

dudeeile wrote: »
    Well a defect is a defect in my book, irrespective of the price. I do hear what you are saying all the same, very surprised about the rolex comment, really? I would imagine that should you inform them they would replace all the same but still very surprising.

I’ve seen some very dodgy paint application on the GMT hands on maybe three Rolex’s. Certainly didn’t need a loupe either. An Explorer 2 in Keanes was ridiculously poor, I’d have done a better job. And you should have seen some of my Prince August’s when I was a kid. A one off you’d forgive, but it doesn’t seem to isolated going from YouTube videos. It’s even more baffling when you consider Rolex buy them in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Sunny Saturday in my backyard. The Red Star project 304 is looking and feeling better on a NATO.

522460.JPG

522461.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

IMG-20200808-185934.jpg

IMG-20200808-184827.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I do love cathedral hands. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Sunny Saturday in my backyard. The Red Star project 304 is looking and feeling better on a NATO.

*SNIP*

That looks great on the Nato. Well chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    That looks great on the Nato. Well chosen.

Yes great combination

• Advertisement

A Swatch groupie with a bit of Rolex, a smidgen of Vostok and a touch of Cartier on the crown.

522654.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

A Swatch groupie with a bit of Rolex, a smidgen of Vostok and a touch of Cartier on the crown.

Haha only a connoisseur would spot it! More like 96 percent vostok with a smidgen of the others though. The only thing it doesn't seem to have in its DNA is a swatch! :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

And now something different.

hmt janata

522692.jpg

Tom

Just got this food parcel from Poljot24 in Munich, thanks Julian.

522693.JPG

Oh yes, the watch, a "very rare" slightly vintage Poljot. I will be posting a photo of my watch as soon as I've finished eating the Russisch Brot. :D

And now something different.

hmt janata

That's different alright!

Nine quid on eBay? :p

Linky

You'd nearly get one just to have something completely different in your collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

HMT went out of business right? Hold on to it - maybe in 10 years time it'll double in value and be worth 18 euro :D (seriously though I wouldn't mind a bit of Indian horology - I think that might have been their only mass produced brand in India - I hope there are still artisan micros there still).

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

unkel wrote: »
    That's different alright!

Nine quid on eBay? :p

Linky

You'd nearly get one just to have something completely different in your collection!

My one was 10 pounds.

I wish I found that listing you posted - it looks quite nice.

At the end all of those are franken-watches as dials are all re-painted and looks like made of paper but, it is unusually for sure.

Tom

I wish I found that listing you posted - it looks quite nice.

The plastic strap on it almost looks like real leather in the pictures :pac:

This came in the 'food parcel' along with a nice and handy single-watch travel case.

522696.JPG

To quote from Julian Kampmann's letter
    "Poljot Caliber 2614.2H with 17 jewels, 21.600 halfrotations/hour, shock protection, date and
    approx 35 hours power reserve. A very robust manual winding caliber from Poljot!"

38mm case width.

Looks in mint condition and I picked the 'forest green' Rios strap to come with it.
    Love that bezel which I think originated with Glasshutte chronos they were making for the Luftwaffe before they fell into the Russian (Soviet) orbit.
    Also love the dial with the cathedral hands.
    It was in P24's 'rare watches' section which has a couple of dozen, individual, mainly Russian watches.

522698.JPG

Orange Seiko Turtle SRPC95 in the post a few minutes ago. Stuck it on a Barton sailcloth

522798.jpg

Some scratches on the bezel (not as prominent in real life as in that picture) that weren't mentioned in the adverts ad (another reason I prefer to meet in person rather than send / receive by email), but I got it really cheap. It was also advertised as the day function not working, but I suspect the seller wasn't aware that to change the day, you roll the crown the opposite way to changing the date. I will know tomorrow if this is the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Thought I would add my lume image, they look great after some sunshine on them...

522799.jpg

Also added the two different straps that I used, I liked the brown strap as I have always liked the brown leather look... but it lost it's novelty. And it also looked a little too Brietling for me (even though I do like them)

522800.jpeg

I then took the blue crocodile strap which suited the watch perfectly and left that on for a while but with the summer here I wanted the steel strap back on.

522801.jpg

The steel gives the watch so much weight, it certainly reminds you, that you have a BIG watch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

A purchase inspired by Pinch Flat who posted the same watch here a few weeks ago. I love the look of the face and the complexity of the calendar horology.

522858.jpeg

It amazes me that I can order and receive a watch like this from the other side of the world for what to me is seems such a good price within 7!days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

That looks really cool, have you a link or model? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

I also looked up the listing for Somebody Elses HMT Janata, I like watches with unusual scripts on the dial...
    I was amused to note one clause in the Post and Packaging section, not sure I can comply...

" This service done by the INDIA POST “ Registered Mail Service” It will take approx. 2 to 4 week after being dispatched for the shipment delivered. You will have to sing on delivery."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

tenor.gif?itemid=4422957

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

New seiko. Keeping this one

6JTvWwh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

This is it wrote: »
    That looks really cool, have you a link or model? Thanks

I ordered it from here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

One quartz replaced with another - hard to capture the detail of this properly, but the fit & finish really is superb.

50221933676_162306ace7_c.jpg

50222154067_8c36394f13_c.jpg

50222154062_3af0b4bd6b_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That is an absolute beauty.

• Advertisement

I ordered a dark green strap with this circa 2001 Poljot field watch but although it's nice it does distract from the simple military design. Had a 19mm Hirsch black leather one that goes fine on the 20mm lugs and keeps the focus where it should be.
    522908.JPG

Sorry the focus wasn't on the watch in this pic. Will be on the look out for a watch to go with the forest green strap now. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement