Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

All black Chinese Airforce 1963 project watch
    BOn6j1T.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ohh I'm liking that RW.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

rwbug wrote: »

Mine arrived to day - Seagull "1963" Chinese Airforcewatch (42 mm)

ordered from www.poljot24.de/en/home and it arrived in a very nice wooden box with a couple of extras thrown in for free.....including two NATO straps and some chocolate covered biccies......

335279.jpg

Lovin' the size and the format and it feels very light on the wrist as well as looking well with a suit.....

335280.jpg335281.jpg

335283.jpg

335287.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Very nice....love the silver verison

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I am really liking the black 1963 but my camera/photo skills don't do it justice. Here are some better pics taken by and used with the permission of Bradjhomes on wus.

XlC7yDA.jpg?1
    ZsVJA7P.jpg?1
    kVlUCaz.jpg?12zpaUzL.jpg
    JmFnUOV.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Thats a really lovely watch, enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

Ahem.......

Rip my bank balance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very nice sir.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

893bet wrote: »
    Ahem.......

Rip my bank balance

Wow, wow, wow.

Wow, wow, wow.

Picture does no justice!

Looking my railmaster and I think it might be shown the door. Ironically I have barely worn since I got it as it was just a tiny bit too tight, ordered a full spare link and it actually came in aswell today in to Keanes jewellers! Just gotta collect. Not sure I can justify or afford to keep it. Hate the thought of getting rid as I believe they will only appreciate in value. Gonna put on the link and wear for a day and see if there is room for it. First world problems.

• Advertisement

Eh, does that mean there is a Railmaster coming onto the market soon? :-)

Congrats, lovely. Lots of nice watch purchases being posted lately.

sorry you posted same time as me
    I remembered you had that Railmaster

TedR wrote: »
    sorry you posted same time as me
    I remembered you had that Railmaster

Lol! Great minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

I am really liking the black 1963 but my camera/photo skills don't do it justice. Here are some better pics taken by and used with the permission of Bradjhomes on wus.

Snipped pics for brevity's sake.

mind doing a review on this one? very very very tempted but would like to hear some real world reviews first.

Well I finally got one of my all time "grails".
    qryuxg.jpg

A Longines Ultraquartz from 1971.
    a59mae.jpg

The world's only cybernetic watch. Cybernetic. Cue Dr Who theme. :) Basically quartz watches work by taking the vibrations of the quartz, using electronics(usually chip) to step down that thousands of hertz into one second intervals, where a motor then turns the hands. In many early quartz(Beta 21/Accuquartz) instead of a stepping motor they used a tuning fork motor to run the hands, so very smoooooth. The Longines is different. In the Ultraquartz, it's basically a tuning fork movement like an Accutron and it drives the hands at 170hz, the quartz acts as a timekeeping "overseer" whereby the rate of the tuning fork "slave" is judged against the quartz "master" and if found to be runnin fast or slow against the quartz rate is corrected back to true(this takes place 170 times a minute). Instead of a chip(which were mad money at the time) Longines achieved this with 14 transistors, 19 resistors and 7 capacitors.

the movement.
    1969.jpg
    All hand assembled and soldered electronics. Oh and in reality it's under half that size.

You'll note no crown on the side of the case. It's on the back. Cool or wha?
    35aoltt.jpg
    Sorry about the goo on the back. This thing was near NOS and had the remains of sales tags on the back. The serial puts it at 70/71 so one of the early batches.

It's a large enough watch as the movement is pretty big. 41mm wide, 38mm top to bottom and 11mm thick. Oh and this one doesn't hum like a tuning fork, it buzzes and you can actually feel it on the wrist if you concentrate on it. Mad. :)

*EDIT* Here's a pic of one running to show how smoooooth the hands run on these. Makes a Patek look positively jerky. :D

Not that many of these were made and even fewer are running today(the coil normally goes), so a bit of a rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well I finally got one of my all time "grails".

Where do you find these things...:P

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Very bad eBay descriptions DT. :) IE "Lomgines turning fork" in this case, so it didn't show up on the radar. Put it another way, these normally go for around 300 quid in non running condition and over a grand for runners. I got extremely lucky. I have also won an auction for a working "Gerrard Perigaux". Only bidder. Thirty quid including post. With profesh pics and descriptions they can go from 200-400. Crappy camera pics can also be a boon. If you know what you're looking for and at. I'm an insomniac so...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Pure class, Wibbs. I'm glad it worked out in the end. That is both a beautiful watch and obviously also special, from a technical perspective (not to mention the commercials).

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Wibbs wrote: »
    Very bad eBay descriptions DT. :) IE "Lomgines turning fork" in this case, so it didn't show up on the radar. Put it another way, these normally go for around 300 quid in non running condition and over a grand for runners. I got extremely lucky. I have also won an auction for a working "Gerrard Perigaux". Only bidder. Thirty quid including post. With profesh pics and descriptions they can go from 200-400. Crappy camera pics can also be a boon. If you know what you're looking for and at. I'm an insomniac so...

That's it, I'm onto eBay looking for a BNW N5 or Porch 811 Therbo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Saw the pics of this, HAD to have one and thanks to rwbug and a quite afternoon in work, bought and being shipped soon. Between this and the Vostok Neptune peasant posted about last year which came back into stock for a moment I'll be freaking the postman out for the next few weeks as he sees me with my nose against the window every time I hear the gate squeak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Back over to the Ocean 1 after it being put away for a while
    You really feel like you are wearing this one when you put it on...

DSC03685.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Is that the ceramic or normal bezel lex? I'm really tempted by an ocean 1, I prefer the face of yours to the vintage, but have never been a fan of a cyclops, so I'm torn between it and the vintage.

Is that the ceramic or normal bezel lex? I'm really tempted by an ocean 1, I prefer the face of yours to the vintage, but have never been a fan of a cyclops, so I'm torn between it and the vintage.

its the ceramic one

i was thinking same as you, eventually the dial won me over versus the cyclops

which vintage are you looking at?

I like the Vintage red, might be a compromise

If you ask they will put the ceramic bezel in it as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Love that Steinhart Ocean 1, I am tempted to ask would they do it without the magnifier..if so then I'm sold :D

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    which vintage are you looking at?

I like the Vintage red, might be a compromise

If you ask they will put the ceramic bezel in it as far as I know

Yeah it's the red I've been looking at. Might pop them off a mail.

Looks like my decision is going to be a bit easier. The vintage 1 red seems to be gone from the steinhart site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Back over to the Ocean 1 after it being put away for a while
    You really feel like you are wearing this one when you put it on...

DSC03685.jpg

I had the same tough choice between the O1 & OVM, I went the opposite way. The cyclops & date window just made it too busy for me & I went for the simplicity of the OVM. There is no wrong choice here though, only personal preference.

Currently on grey Martac Nylon NATO
    16160407929_f991fee062_c.jpg

the OVM was certainly on my short list but I needed the date as I use this watch more than any other...looks great on the NATO...I would say it certainly takes the weight of it down

• Advertisement

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    mind doing a review on this one? very very very tempted but would like to hear some real world reviews first.

Can't really do a review on it as not worn it much - except to say I think it is a stunner. I also have no idea about accuracy as I don't really care too much, my daily watch is a quartz.

The movement is st1901 which apparently can be a little temperamental, I read that problems mostly come from starting the chrono then using the reset button instead of the stop.

Pricewise it will be $230+customs(maybe)+shipping.

All info on it can be found in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement