Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Anyone have any recent opinions on Mejana on Thomas St?
    The GF is touting it as a candidate for date night and while I love lebanese food, I haven't heard anything from folks about this spot in quite a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

sioda wrote: »
    eisenberg1 wrote: »
    +1 awful gave it a few goes NEVER returning

We had a big group for a reunion weekend there last August (admittedly a few months ago) and it was super - everyone really enjoyed it. Sorry to hear it's disimproved, I was hoping to make a return visit soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Ate in Marco Polo last weekend, great value and ideal with large families in tow with their good value deals, food is ok but good value and service was very good. Always seem to accommodate you. I must add I think food is average but a few friends really like food.

Was in hamptons about 5 weeks ago , had the steak which was good ( no Freddie's though) , service was good. Everyone in our group enjoyed their food but couple found their starters on the small side.

I was in Azur week after that for Sunday lunch, we were very disappointed with poor service, it was previously very good- we had a good 20 min wait between taking away starters and giving us out mains, some waited longer. Three of our party then had to wait ages for dessert so long in fact that everyone else had finished by time deserts arrived.

Freddie's , still by far our favourite place to eat , good starters,good mains and nutty pancake dessert is yum, wish they would put upstairs back the way it was with the lights across the rafters. Sometimes the waiting staff are bit young but generally very pleasant

Bells Italia. Don't get me started, I make a better base tomatoe sauce than they do , crap bread given at start which is cuisine de France which I don't think is right for Italian. Service wasn't as bad last time I was in there as previous visits . Need to really cop on but might be fine if you have fussy eaters with you because food lacks flavour.

Tuscany bistro gives more authentic and tasty Italian dishes but their service can be hit and miss. Last two times were good with beautiful mains.

Corn store was nice last time I was there with friendly staff, nice surroundings. Staff particularly good with a small child that was with us.

banie01 wrote: »
    Anyone have any recent opinions on Mejana on Thomas St?
    The GF is touting it as a candidate for date night and while I love lebanese food, I haven't heard anything from folks about this spot in quite a while?

I was in there around Christmas and to be honest have forgotten to go back , we had lunch which was nice. Owner seemed friendly and staff were attentive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

A round up of some of the places i have eaten in recently. I hope they are useful to someone - i find this thread really handy!

La Cucina - I really like the food and the buzz in there. Its well priced and always fresh food but lordy there are two of the four (there generally seem to be four waitresses on when i am there) really dont like their job and it shows. The other two waitresses are lovely but for some reason two of them are just so rude and unhelpful. It puts me off each time i am there - i havent been back in a while but the food brings me back.

Casa Nova - Love this place, great food. Well priced and lovely staff. It is a notch above other takeaways in the area in terms of quality in my opinion. Lots of options on the menu and they are happy to make substitutions for dietary requirements. I like supporting this place, try it!

Absolute Hotel restaurant - Had a really nice meal here recently. Fantastic service from friendly staff. The food was really well presented, of good quality and in nicely proportioned portions so i was full but not stuffed. Couldnt fault it and i will be going back soon - also it was really really well priced. Gorgeous setting too by the river.

Spice of India - Nice takeaway from here, good menu with more than the usual Korma/Tikka stuff. They have Southern Indian cuisine so its always nice to try something a bit different. It seemed fresh and i didnt have that "indian take away hangover" the next morning so thats a good thing! Nice staff and it was fairly priced. The restaurant is very dark though - i dont think i could eat there!

Canteen: Interesting little place. Nice menu, food was fresh but i was still hungry after. I will go back though as its nice to see something different in Limerick. I like the atmosphere in there -it was just different to anything in Limerick. Pricing was fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Maybe you should tell the owners of La Cucina - they are on twitter, I'm sure they would love the constructive feedback. Another point maybe that they are italian and if you have ever been to Italy - thats the norm!

Whereabouts are Spice of India & Casa Nova

Mc Love wrote: »

Spice of india is on O'Connell St upstairs in the old Nestors.
    Casa Nova is on High St.

Just to add a wee review myself.
    Went to Mejana last Friday night and really enjoyed the food.
    Fresh and very well prepared.
    Some lovely starters and the mains were delicious.
    However I thought my main was a wee bit on the small side especially when I compared it to my GF's shwarma(In both cost and quantity :p )!!!!
    She got a plate full of meaty goodness on the other hand my mixed grill was full of goodness but hardly a plate full :p
    They have a good wine list but the house white is quite poor.
    The service was hit and miss, trying to get the bill was an effort.
    The dead eyed belly dancer was more of an imposition than an entertainment, she seemed to have no interest at all in being there and it detracted(to my mind anyways) from the otherwise nice atmosphere with a random turning up of the stereo followed by a gyrating girl with no interest in being there.
    Overall I would definitely eat there again, my GF in particular loved the food.

Maybe you should tell the owners of La Cucina - they are on twitter, I'm sure they would love the constructive feedback. Another point maybe that they are italian and if you have ever been to Italy - thats the norm!

I am not on Twitter. I know i should probably say something when i am there...but i can never be bothered really. I dont feel its going to change!

Also i have been to Italy- both North and South many times and always found people in the service industry generally amicable so i will have to disagree that its the norm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Casa Nova is on High St.

Casa Nova or Casa Nostra??

Casa Nova is on High St.

Casa Nova or Casa Nostra??

Casa Nova........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Parchment wrote: »

Casa Nova........

Ok, sorry, I was confusing with Casa Nostra just off the Dock Rd....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Where is Freddie`s?....might try it

deadeye187 wrote: »

Lower glanworth st up a lane way beside glen tavern . Don't have number but sure u would find it online

deadeye187 wrote: »

It's on Theater lane just by the Glen tavern and behind the BOI building on Glentworth st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

It's on Theater lane just by the Glen tavern and behind the BOI building on Glentworth st.

Cheers man!...Must try this place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

shaka wrote: »
    I was in there around Christmas and to be honest have forgotten to go back , we had lunch which was nice. Owner seemed friendly and staff were attentive.

agree with this, the owner & staff were on the ball with everything, also very reasonable.

New Management have taken over Mizzoni Pizza in Raheen - they gave me a free order for being a valued customer and had a chance to speak with them when I collected the order. They are much more likely to offer deals and the like.

Lets just I had a nice breakfast this morning, couldnt finish my order yesterday evening!

971043_10151670512458384_1889942369_n.jpg

New Management have taken over Mizzoni Pizza in Raheen - they gave me a free order for being a valued customer and had a chance to speak with them when I collected the order. They are much more likely to offer deals and the like.

Lets just I had a nice breakfast this morning, couldnt finish my order yesterday evening!

971043_10151670512458384_1889942369_n.jpg

tumblr_inline_mlu2jezfdl1qz4rgp.gif

That looks savage! Damn you! I'm hungry now :pac:

They gave me a free order - no limit but I couldnt order everything, I'm only one man!

One other boardsie won a prize there this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Checked here about a year ago but Ill check again; any chance any sushi place has opened up in limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

TheGunns wrote: »
    Checked here about a year ago but Ill check again; any chance any sushi place has opened up in limerick?

I wish..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Few places do sushi nights or have it on the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

bigpink wrote: »
    Few places do sushi nights or have it on the menu

:O which places?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is Mizzonis a chain or a family or just a very popular name for pizza places?Seen them all over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

bigpink wrote: »
    Is Mizzonis a chain or a family or just a very popular name for pizza places?Seen them all over the country

Looks like it's a chain (perhaps a chain of franchises): http://www.mizzoni.ie/storeinfo.php?prov=len

I don't recall seeing the name Mizzoni outside Ireland.

4e5466b7dc69f1314154167_blog.jpg

I found out today that we're getting a Mizzoni's here in Newcastle West! :D

You will never understand my excitement, ever! 5 years living here and not one decent pizza place. Apache opened up here last year and it ain't a patche on the one in Limerick. I'm counting down the days. YAY!!!

Thats great news shaaane!

Wife hates pizza , i like my pizza is mizzonis worth the earache ?

Definitely - its like M&S opening :)

• Advertisement

Thats great news shaaane!

I'm delighted. May my taste buds be satisfied and my weight shoot through the roof :D

Advertisement