Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Tried CASA NOSTRA for first time last Friday evening, on a friends suggestion. 5 stars, great food, great service, great price amd very nice place. staff very friendy but not in your face. Big portions!! I will be back on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Tried CASA NOSTRA for first time last Friday evening, on a friends suggestion. 5 stars, great food, great service, great price amd very nice place. staff very friendy but not in your face. Big portions!! I will be back on a regular basis.

Is that the new(ish) place near Jurys? If so, friend of mine was there a few times and said it was lovely as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

Where's the best Indian takeway near the city centre? Have gone off Mogul Emperor - a bit greasy and meat is getting scarce.

We now use the one on O'Connell St (the Spice of India?)

Is there better ones I'm missing out on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

phog wrote: »
    Where's the best Indian takeway near the city centre? Have gone off Mogul Emperor - a bit greasy and meat is getting scarce.

Copper & Spice is great but can be very expensive. Poppadom was really good too but I have not been back since this story.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Spice of India on O'Connell Street might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

I find Spice Of India very very greasy.
    I used to love Poppadom, but I haven't gone there since the owners in Dublin were found guilty of slave labour.
    Copper & Spice can be expensive, there is also another Indian in the Greenpark SC, quite nice, but again can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

h3000 wrote: »
    Copper & Spice is great but can be very expensive. Poppadom was really good too but I have not been back since this story.

Way back I found C&S weren't filling my orders correctly, always some dish substituted with another.

Haven't used Poppadom since that story either.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Spice of India on O'Connell Street might be worth a shot.

I mentioned that I'm using Spice of India just wanted know was there better aorund.
    gflann wrote: »
    I find Spice Of India very very greasy.
    I used to love Poppadom, but I haven't gone there since the owners in Dublin were found guilty of slave labour.
    Copper & Spice can be expensive, there is also another Indian in the Greenpark SC, quite nice, but again can be expensive.

Spice of India is a lot less greasey than the Mogul.

I'll try Greenpark next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could try Indira overhead Xtra Vision in Dooradoyle too. Not a huge selection of Indian restaurants in Limerick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The Madras in Spice of India makes the back of my ears sweat. awesome.
    BTW Bambu across the road is the same company, same owners, effectively same restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fantacoke

Hamptons is ace if you happen to be celiac. I had the knife and fork ribs recently. You may think ribs as a main? Hmmm? But this was a rack of ribs cooked to perfection. Meat falling off the bone and a full plate of it with a side of French fries and the best coleslaw ever. The barbecue sauce nasted all over the was ribs was delicious ...
    Nomable times 100 :) And great value too.
    I'd definitely go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Fantacoke

phog wrote: »

The one near punches cross is excellent. It changed hands recently. you can't miss it it's where indira used be... I think it's called Bindi?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

zuroph wrote: »
    The Madras in Spice of India makes the back of my ears sweat. awesome.
    BTW Bambu across the road is the same company, same owners, effectively same restaurant.

Bambu is owned by texas steakout same owner as icon also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

h3000 wrote: »
    I was in the Dragon Fly (Chinese) in Annacotty the other day. The food was absolutely gorgeous. Will be heading back soon

I go there for lunch with the ones from work now and again. Yea I highly recommend it. Lovely Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sevda

Friend coming to Limerick on new years eve and asked for a takeaway from Indria. She's a veggie and loved it a few years back when it just opened.

It's easily 3 years since I got a takeaway from there and I see it has changed to Bindra

I see reviews on tripadvisor are not so good now. I do like mogul but delivery use to take an age.

Has it disimproved a lot, if so it's a pity it was a great takeaway when it opened first.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

whats the new place in Castletroy where Superdine used to be?
    every time i pass i cant read the sign properly but its a food place anyway for sure?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

whats the new place in Castletroy where Superdine used to be?
    every time i pass i cant read the sign properly but its a food place anyway for sure?!

It's called Brew Brothers Gourmet Burgers. I have not tried it yet so have no idea how good or bad it is.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I went in and got a menu, its very expensive! Im sure the food is nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Weird name for a burger place. When I passed it I immediately thought it was a cafe/coffee place.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Went to unicorn after work in the bar last week and I have to say the worst meal I have eaten in a long time, sloppy and over cooked. It is really run down. Full of old men at the bar drinking. I have not been there in years and I definitely won't be back. Awful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

maryk123 wrote: »
    Went to unicorn after work in the bar last week and I have to say the worst meal I have eaten in a long time, sloppy and over cooked. It is really run down. Full of old men at the bar drinking. I have not been there in years and I definitely won't be back. Awful place.

So its finally gone back to the way it was before it was done up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Fantacoke wrote: »
    Hamptons is ace if you happen to be celiac. I had the knife and fork ribs recently. You may think ribs as a main? Hmmm? But this was a rack of ribs cooked to perfection. Meat falling off the bone and a full plate of it with a side of French fries and the best coleslaw ever. The barbecue sauce nasted all over the was ribs was delicious ...
    Nomable times 100 :) And great value too.
    I'd definitely go back.

Were the french fries & barbecue sauce gluten free?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 0435414@live.ie

Hey Im heading down to the kilmallock area this weekend and im looking for a restaraunt within 20/30 mins that would be really nice for a cosy, special occasion meal for two...but not in the city..any ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

Try the Mustard seed in ballingarry , think about 15 min from kilmallock , its a bit pricey but tasty http://www.mustardseed.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Hey Im heading down to the kilmallock area this weekend and im looking for a restaraunt within 20/30 mins that would be really nice for a cosy, special occasion meal for two...but not in the city..any ideas???
    redrums wrote: »
    Try the Mustard seed in ballingarry , think about 15 min from kilmallock , its a bit pricey but tasty http://www.mustardseed.ie/

Absolutely food is excellent, very good service as well. If evening is nice a stroll around the gardens is very nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Had lunch in finnegans on the dublin road on Sun last awful service and veg, chips etc were cold. Said it to the waitress she said she would tell the kitchen and that was it! Would not recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Had lunch in finnegans on the dublin road on Sun last awful service and veg, chips etc were cold. Said it to the waitress she said she would tell the kitchen and that was it! Would not recommend it

I had only heard great things about the place, so tried it recently and had the same experience,put it down to an off day and went back another two times, lesson learned, will not be going back!!!!!! they don't even seem able to mash potatoes properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

was there a sour-puss fella behind the counter by any chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

Quick question - where is good for a Saturday/Sunday morning breakfast in town these days? I really miss the Wild Onion (still) and haven't really enjoyed breakfast that much in the few other places I've tried. Has anyone any recommendations for a nice spot with good coffee and more than just a greasy full Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Quick question - where is good for a Saturday/Sunday morning breakfast in town these days? I really miss the Wild Onion (still) and haven't really enjoyed breakfast that much in the few other places I've tried. Has anyone any recommendations for a nice spot with good coffee and more than just a greasy full Irish?

The Curragower do lovely all day breakfast on the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 tonyloulauren

Blady123 wrote: »
    This is a great thread and has some great recommendations. I was wondering though - which restaurant gets the most reviews? My family are visiting and I'm looking to take them somewhere traditional and not too pricey, but nice. Maybe somewhere that's not a bar, as I realise Dolans and the Locke are nice places. Any help is appreciated - they're coming this evening.

Cheers,
    B
    not the george anyway

Advertisement