Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sairaxx

hi guys , i really need to know where you would get a good chipper taco fries xx thanks xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Kashmir in baker place!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sairaxx

never thought of that, are the portions any good ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just had (sober) Taco Fries from Cafe Lazio on Cornmarket Square. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

roseagra wrote: »
    Anyone experienced this place yet? It was due to open August 1st, I can't seem to find a website for them. They have a deal with pigsback.com at the moment.

Thanks

the place on mount kennett? went there on friday night, was gorgeous. way way nicer than la cucina and bella italia. more imaginative sauce and not a stingy amount like la cucina. additionally the service was excellent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Was in Cafe Cupcake on Henry Street the other day, it was filthy, that is one thing about a resturant that will make me not go back. It's a pity as I liked it the first time I tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Hey all, new here, just having a quick look at the last couple of pages. Japanese food is my absolute favorite and its incredible that there isn't anywhere in Limerick doing it at all, there must be a few hundred crappy Chinese takeaways that stay in business, we can't be that neanderthal surely. just a quick heads up for the person who was on about Dundrum, you don't have to go that far, the best Japanese food in Ireland is in Kappa Ya in Galway, very reasonable as well and open all day, they also do great sushi but no sashimi. The sushi in cornstore is from Sushi King in Dublin and its fine(only ever had it from the Dublin outlets where i assume its fresher) but not great. Tesco is doing a range of sushi now also but i wouldn't be bothered.
    I was in Canteen a couple of times recently, its on Mallow st and is quite good for supposedly healthy food, apparently the guy used to work with Heston Blumenthal but the food isn't terribly exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Kashmir in baker place!

No effin way. They put practically no cheese on the chips there at all. Their kebabs are banging alright.

Hey all, new here, just having a quick look at the last couple of pages. Japanese food is my absolute favorite and its incredible that there isn't anywhere in Limerick doing it at all, there must be a few hundred crappy Chinese takeaways that stay in business, we can't be that neanderthal surely. just a quick heads up for the person who was on about Dundrum, you don't have to go that far, the best Japanese food in Ireland is in Kappa Ya in Galway, very reasonable as well and open all day, they also do great sushi but no sashimi. The sushi in cornstore is from Sushi King in Dublin and its fine(only ever had it from the Dublin outlets where i assume its fresher) but not great. Tesco is doing a range of sushi now also but i wouldn't be bothered.
    I was in Canteen a couple of times recently, its on Mallow st and is quite good for supposedly healthy food, apparently the guy used to work with Heston Blumenthal but the food isn't terribly exciting.

There's a place on Thomas St that gets in sushi every Wednesday morning but it's a total rip off. I heard Z-We-Ton in town does sushi too but can't confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

magma69 wrote: »
    There's a place on Thomas St that gets in sushi every Wednesday morning but it's a total rip off. I heard Z-We-Ton in town does sushi too but can't confirm that.

I know the place, they are absolute rip-off merchants, I'm surprised they are still open to be honest.

• Advertisement

L.T.P. wrote: »
    I know the place, they are absolute rip-off merchants, I'm surprised they are still open to be honest.

But the food is displayed in hand woven baskets with straw in it. Totally worth it for that alone! :D

That's the Cornstore deli ye're talking about, I mentioned it in my last post about the sushi. It's expensive alright but a lot of the stuff in there is decent enough quality and not available anywhere else, the readymeals aren't amazing but are a bit better than Tesco Finest or any equivalent, if there was a Marks and Spensers in Limerick they wouldn't last a fortnight. The Sushi is robbery though, it's 9 euro for a little box of 6 or 8 pieces. What they do have though and its not too expensive at all is Jack McCarthy's sausages and white puddings(maybe black as well but I've no interest), these are among the finest you will taste anywhere in the world, nicer than the curraghchase version(also available there).
    All in all I wouldn't have a problem with the cornstore deli, not really much good if you are on the dole but if you have a few bob to spend then what the hell, the restaurant across the road(Cornstore also) is very overrated though, there is a sign outside saying it was voted best restaurant in Limerick, this is a sad indictment of the local dining scene, it's better than the Texas but that isn't hard to be fair, I can think of 7 or 8 better places in the city centre alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

magma69 wrote: »
    No effin way. They put practically no cheese on the chips there at all. Their kebabs are banging alright.

Just ask for more, Kash is a pure legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Anyone reckon the food in our most famous chipper in John St. has gone downhill lately? I mentioned it to a few people and they all said likewise??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Anyone reckon the food in our most famous chipper in John St. has gone downhill lately? I mentioned it to a few people and they all said likewise??

I was there last week with Limerick Dude and the two of us were happy with the food. Too much salt would be my only complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I go to Enzo's all the time now .... abandoned our John St. friend after getting mushy chips and hard crispy fish on more than one occasion ...

Enzo's is THE best chipper in limerick .. fresh cod .. nom nom....

I think that the chips are very good in Donkeys, sausages are fairly mank, couldn't comment on the Square of Cod as I wouldn't pay for a giant fish finger anywhere, I've had the whiting in there but not in a while, it was decent enough to be fair, Enzo's couldn't be described as the best surely, it couldn't possibly be more average.

There is a place on Thomas St called "The Sandwich Shop", I've never been into it but I've noticed that it's almost always busy, particularly for the smokers outside, what is it that they do well?

I posted earlier about Canteen on Mallow st, has anyone else tried it out? I think it's worth a try, particularly if you want to try something a little more healthy than is available in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tony's in Raheen is up there with the best chippers at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

had fish and chips in donkeys last week 1st time in a while , not a patch on rios use to be lovely there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Enzo's has been top notch any time I go in there. There is usually a long wait cause they nearly always put the stuff on fresh instead of pre-making a rake of it. The portions are massive also, definitely the biggest in Limerick.

I love Donkeys battered sausages though. Starving just thinking about it.

I always find Rios chips are kind of chewy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Donkeys is lovely and it's cheap.

Best kebab shop. Golden chicken on william street. It's made fresh and you could beat someone to death with one of their large kebabs.
    Prices are not bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Jofspring wrote: »
    I love Donkeys battered sausages though. Starving just thinking about it.

Goddam I miss the lobster pot, hands down the best battered sausage going. They were always perfect, big and cooked just right, never too dry and always juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I was in the Dragon Fly (Chinese) in Annacotty the other day. The food was absolutely gorgeous. Will be heading back soon

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Goddam I miss the lobster pot, hands down the best battered sausage going. They were always perfect, big and cooked just right, never too dry and always juicy.

Don't get me wrong here, I quite liked the Lobster Pot but the reason their sausages weren't dry was that they were usually underdone, I had a dose after eating a sausage there one night,
    Whats going on in there by the way, I saw some tilers and the likes working in there about a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Enzos and Luigis for chips for me, though I tried Norios in Ballycummin recently and they were nice too. I was never impressed with Slatterys when they were there.

Chinese wise, Dragon I in Patrickswell is beautiful. A little bit more expensive, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I was never impressed with Slatterys when they were there.

They weren't great but they did do a bacon and cheese chip. That reminds of bacon and cheese chip and the chilli cheese dogs in zac's in casteltroy(think dominoes is there now).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fusco's in Garryowen do nice chips and battered sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

bazz26 wrote: »
    Fusco's in Garryowen do nice chips and battered sausages.

+1 and now I have a craving for them, thanks Bazz

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

That reminds of bacon and cheese chip and the chilli cheese dogs in zac's in casteltroy(think dominoes is there now).

I remember Zacs, it was lovely. Must be gone nearly 10 years at this stage I'd say?

• Advertisement

anyone got the number of tonys fish and chips in raheen cannot find it anywhere

Advertisement