Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Finally got around to trying Casa Nostra at Mount Kennett Place. Had the chicken and broccoli penne in parmesan sauce and loved it.

There's a serious kick of liqueur off the tiramisu too! :D I'll have to go back another time to check out the dinner menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Parchment wrote: »
    Also - has anyone been to the Sunday Buffet in The Jasmine lately.....opinions?! Was it crazy busy?

Was there about a month ago, yeah it was busy but as it's a buffet your not waiting on staff so no delays, just turn up & eat, I'd book ahead though.

As regards food quality, it's a buffet, it was fine, that's about it, the flip side is you can eat until you have to be rolled down the stairs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Was there about a month ago, yeah it was busy but as it's a buffet your not waiting on staff so no delays, just turn up & eat, I'd book ahead though.

As regards food quality, it's a buffet, it was fine, that's about it, the flip side is you can eat until you have to be rolled down the stairs :D

Hmmm - might just hit it this weekend and see how the belt fares!

Also any rec's for take away pizza - our usual place let us down last time. im looking for a good italian style pizza not a dominos/pizza hut jobbie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Was at the dog track last night and food was actually good, black pudding starter chicken dinner and trio of desserts. Desserts were only ok but rest of dinner was nice. Great evening out

"Did" the Jasmine Buffet yesterday. Food was good quality, staff were very friendly and helpful (big change from my last visit to the Jasmine). I did find the vegetarian options very limited - just side dishes (eg. noodles/rice) there were no veg "mains". Also the Indian food selection had no vegetarian options. I did appreciate the labels on all the foods, also the gluten free label would be helpful for others. Even the meat eaters i went with agreed more veg options should be offered.

Desserts were ok - small but tasty but maybe ice cream should be offered (logistical problem there i guess). Fortune cookies were a nice addition. I did thing the sweet jars in the dessert section were a bit off putting....everyones grubby paws were going into them so i didnt think they were the most hygienic idea for a dessert.

All in all - decent value for money but better value for meat eaters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Is Papa Gino's still as good as it was back in the 80's

Right - 3 year anniversary dinner...where to go. Clare/Tipp is ok too (max 40 min drive from Limerick City). Budget can be pushed somewhat. Romance wanted and excellent food and surroundings....GO!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Might be a push at 40 minutes but in and around Gregans Castle in the Burren will hit all the other 3 beautiful scenery fantastic food and quite secluded (rooms don't have a TV bliss)

It's been a few years but Longueville House in Mallow was all very but recent food reviews seem poor.

If you want to stay in County Limerick the Mustard Seed is excellent.

For me Adare Manor is ok think food a bit iffy but overpriced for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭phog

Right - 3 year anniversary dinner...where to go. Clare/Tipp is ok too (max 40 min drive from Limerick City). Budget can be pushed somewhat. Romance wanted and excellent food and surroundings....GO!

Freddies, Corn store and Azur in Limerick, Cherry Tree in Ballina/Kilalloe would be my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mustard Seed in Ballingarry!
    Also has an attached boutique type hotel to round out the whole 'romance' bit ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

phog wrote: »
    Freddies, Corn store and Azur in Limerick, Cherry Tree in Ballina/Kilalloe would be my favourites.

Not been very happy with the cherry tree on my last 2 visits. Its not what it was a few years back and not great value for money anymore. The food was only ok both times. I ate in Hamptons recently and really enjoyed my meal. Have seen a lot of negative comments about customer service there but it was very good on our recent visit. The Corn store would be my number one in limerick these days.

Thanks for all the ideas - I am taking them all onboard. So far i think Mustard Seed and Freddys are the leaders. Has anyone ate in The WIld Geese, 1826 or the Dunraven Arms lately? Adare is lovely so maybe somewhere out there would be suitable?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Anyone know a good healthy restaurant i can take the girlfriend too?? we are heading to limerick for a night and we both are very healthy eaters...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

pone2012 wrote: »
    Anyone know a good healthy restaurant i can take the girlfriend too?? we are heading to limerick for a night and we both are very healthy eaters...

What's your definition of healthy? Low fat? Low carbs? Low salt? Seafood dishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

What's your definition of healthy? Low fat? Low carbs? Low salt? Seafood dishes?

Thanks for the reply. Well im currently cutting weight for a fight something where i could just get a decent lean protien source ( salmon is ok too) with plenty of green vegetables. Maybe a side of brown rice too. Im open to suggestions as I never usually eat out. Thanks again

pone2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Well im currently cutting weight for a fight something where i could just get a decent lean protien source ( salmon is ok too) with plenty of green vegetables. Maybe a side of brown rice too. Im open to suggestions as I never usually eat out. Thanks again

Hamptons should be a safe enough bet so.

Ate in The Wooden Spoon in Killaloe this weekend - good prices, good portions - fresh and inventive food. Staff were great - but the place could do with a lick of paint and i did see tables being re-set without being wiped down.

Another excellent galette from Bon Appetite also - faultless as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tried a takeaway from Thai Gourmet tonight - absolutely delicious! Way way nicer than chinese and there is no MSG either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Mc Love wrote: »
    Tried a takeaway from Thai Gourmet tonight - absolutely delicious! Way way nicer than chinese and there is no MSG either

The Thai Gourmet is probably my favorite place in Limerick. Gorgeous food. And now I'm hungry, thanks McL

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Never been before and I am embarrassed to say the first time I tried Thai food was a few weeks ago in Oz - think I will be going here instead of the chinese from now on

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

does anyone know of any deals in the limerick dominos?? for teh online stuff:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Ate in The Wooden Spoon in Killaloe this weekend - good prices, good portions - fresh and inventive food. Staff were great - but the place could do with a lick of paint and i did see tables being re-set without being wiped down.

Toilets could definitely do with a makeover too, but the food is lovely though..

Also was in Brunch in Upper William St the other day. Doesn't look brilliant from the outside, but quite tasty and excellent value for lunch.

Toilets could definitely do with a makeover too, but the food is lovely though..

Food is good but it feels grubby in there and i do agree about the toilets. I never feel they are looked after/cleaned well. Also there were dead flies on the table in the little entrance hall place. Not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

I tried Canteen on Mallow street today, had the organic meatballs & halloumi wrap, both nice & very fresh, not totally blown away until i had the super food flour-less chocolate cake for dessert, now that was amazing. Would have liked to try the pulled pork, but not enough room :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Anybody tried the firefly steakhouse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Passed that Canteen place twice with idea of going in.No menu outside and looked like it was closing up round 4ish
    What kinda place is it anyone else been

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

bigpink wrote: »
    Passed that Canteen place twice with idea of going in.No menu outside and looked like it was closing up round 4ish

Yes, various posts in this thread about it: http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2055507096&query=canteen

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Anybody tried the firefly steakhouse?

I was there a couple of months back. Got a Pigsback offer. Food was great, but the décor was awful. I'd only go back if I got another special offer, otherwise there's nicer places to spend your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    I was there a couple of months back. Got a Pigsback offer. Food was great, but the décor was awful. I'd only go back if I got another special offer, otherwise there's nicer places to spend your money.

Agreed.
    The food is good, but its incredibly cramped in there and the décor is poor.

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »

Nice fresh food, small but reasonable portions. I do like their food as its fresh and free from lots of salt/seasonings - its nice for a quick lunch and watching the people pass on the street.

Front of house staff are not the most competent there though but its a nice place with an inventive menu, one of the more creative in Limerick.

Give it a try!

Advertisement