Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thinking of trying a new pizza place tonight and from reviews and stuff we've narrowed down to either LA Cuicina or Papa Gino's but can't decide HELP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Thinking of trying a new pizza place tonight and from reviews and stuff we've narrowed down to either LA Cuicina or Papa Gino's but can't decide HELP

Try casa nova on high street instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Went for La Piccola in the finish and it was gorgeous one of the nicest pizzas i've tasted in a long time, (in limerick anyway) couldn't recommend it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Ate in Tuscany Bistro in Annacotty last week. Food was amazing, really reasonable and the wine was nice too...but the service was awful. Left sitting with finished meal and empty glasses in front of us for well over 10 minutes , despite trying to catch the waitresses eye. Mentioned it to her that we'd been finished for a long time and she didn't acknowledge it, very disappointed.

Food is amazing though, so I'll be going back, hopefully it's just a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

No im afraid service in Tuscany bistro can be very hit and miss , food usually fairly good though- cant remember ever getting something bad there.

Had lunch in Marco Polo this week, still great value.

Badd ass burritos , great name . Pleasant staff but not very good burrito , saying that I had beef and wife's pork was nicer.

If anyone is out mountain biking in ballyhouras best spot for food is Molly's in Kilfinane , nothing fancy but serious value for money-well fed after long day on the bike. Shepards pie is mighty.

Was in le chocolat a few weeks ago and waitress was fierce unhelpful, 25 sitting down for meal and was very sharp. Food grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

shaka wrote: »
    Badd ass burritos , great name . Pleasant staff but not very good burrito , saying that I had beef and wife's pork was nicer.

Does it still smell of toilets in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

shaka wrote: »
    Was in le chocolat a few weeks ago and waitress was fierce unhelpful, 25 sitting down for meal and was very sharp. Food grand

Was there last week and was soooooooo disappointed. Got the duck as my main and it was tough and overcooked. Complained and was told 'It's not like steak where we ask how you like it, we just cook it well done.'

there's no such thing as well done duck, that's called overcooked duck!!
    It can be crispy on the outside and still pink on the inside like...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats terrible, if a duck is well done, its overcooked and spoiled!

Mc Love wrote: »
    Thats terrible, if a duck is well done, its overcooked and spoiled!

My point exactly! Same thing happened in Hamptons on my birthday :(

Does anywhere in the city do nice roast duck??

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

whitewave wrote: »
    Ate in Tuscany Bistro in Annacotty last week. Food was amazing, really reasonable and the wine was nice too...but the service was awful. Left sitting with finished meal and empty glasses in front of us for well over 10 minutes , despite trying to catch the waitresses eye. Mentioned it to her that we'd been finished for a long time and she didn't acknowledge it, very disappointed.

Food is amazing though, so I'll be going back, hopefully it's just a once off.

The service is my only complaint with Tuscany. I've gone in there mid afternoon with only a couple of people around and it was taken 2 hours to do the 3 courses of the value menu. Regularly your left waiting for long periods between courses. It's putting me off going in at this stage. Food is good, the staff are friendly and helpful but the organisation seems to be off. Pity cause I love there food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    My point exactly! Same thing happened in Hamptons on my birthday :(

Does anywhere in the city do nice roast duck??

Not in Limerick I'm afraid, but if you're anywhere near Ennis, I got the nicest duck ever in The Cloisters. Rest of the meal was lovely too and the staff were so nice. Actually went back a second time a few weeks later, and would definitely go again.

The service is my only complaint with Tuscany. I've gone in there mid afternoon with only a couple of people around and it was taken 2 hours to do the 3 courses of the value menu. Regularly your left waiting for long periods between courses. It's putting me off going in at this stage. Food is good, the staff are friendly and helpful but the organisation seems to be off. Pity cause I love there food.

I agree - it used to be my favourite place to eat in Limerick then my whole family went for a special meal there one night and the service was just awful - the staff are friendly but the service was just so patchy, we were given food without cutlery etc. left with dirty plates in front of us for ages after finishing our food et. also the music was BLARING in there and we could hardly hear each other. Everyone agreed it was a let down - its not that cheap also, so sadly none of us have ever eaten there again. It left a bad taste in my mouth...pardon the terrible pun!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Chocolate/Woking/Jasmine/Zweton all owned by same people a lot of the food is half prepped in central kitchen then bought to the restaurants

I find a huge difference in quality between them all though. Never had a problem in Marco Polo, this is only the second time ever I'm not happy with Chocolat, Wokking has gone to the dogs in recent years and I think I got a dodgy tummy from Jasmine in May.

Zweton town is good to sit down, Newtown Mahon has way better takeaway.

(Believe it or not, I do actually cook, I don't eat out all the time :P )

By the way la cucina do a very nice pizza, usta get a large one for takeaway when living in annacotty on odd time I could convince wife to get pizza. Very nice if little expensive.

Don't forget la piccola have a pizzeria too

Utterly awful takeaway from Copper and Spice on Cornmarket Row last night. The place is a complete rip-off....I have no idea why i strayed from Spice of India.

Portions were tiny. Items in the starter "combo" were the smallest i have ever seen and the pakora was cooked in old oil as it was black and hard as a rock.

Chicken dish we ordered smelled RANK - it actually made me gag. It smelled and looked totally off - and was swimming in oil. A chapati bread also ordered was a wet, soggy mess. The other main ordered was tasty but a TINY portion.

After a long phone call of initially being fobbed off by the manager we got a cash refund for the one crappy chicken meal. We ended up binning the starters and the chapati. Never again. It was also €30 for all of that! I never liked the attitudes in the Annacotty branch - i always found them eager to just get the money and get you out but the food was always decent, if overpriced. But the food, in town anyway, as gone totally downhill.

Avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Ate in Brasserie Mark Anderson out in Killaloe (just out past the UL Activity Centre) last weekend with the gf. I have to say the food is the best I have ever eaten! Its defiantly worth the spin out. Its a bit pricey but if your looking for something special I don't think there is anything in Limerick that compares to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Weekend in Limerick coming up = can anyone tell me what the Texas Steakhouse is like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

loverslane wrote: »
    Weekend in Limerick coming up = can anyone tell me what the Texas Steakhouse is like

Texas Steakout is nice , and usually pretty consistent. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal there. Have a look at the menu here :)

http://www.texassteakout.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

:pac: That's making me hungry already - great menu. Thank you

Texas Steakout is nice , and usually pretty consistent. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal there. Have a look at the menu here :)

http://www.texassteakout.com/
    Moes family feed bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Marco Polo is a great place. Looks fantastic inside and the staff are very pleasant. I've gone in there a few times on a saturday afternoon with the nephew for curry and pizza:)

Turkmaz across from the Market entrance is a great place for kebabs. Their chicken donor kebab with the fresh naan bread is bee-yootuful.

Spice of India on O'Connell street is fantastic, tried it there last week and thoroughly enjoyed my first taste of Indian food

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »
    Spice of India on O'Connell street is fantastic, tried it there last week and thoroughly enjoyed my first taste of Indian food

2nd that.

We use it for our take aways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Spice of India is a winner for sure!..yum.....going to hit it tomorrow evening! yum yum

phog wrote: »
    2nd that.

We use it for our take aways.

3rd that - best Indian place in Limerick/surrounding region. nice staff also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jimb43

i know it is a little out of the city but GREENSPICE at pallasgreen has a fantastic chef. best indian around if you ask me i travel all the way from askeaton to pallasgreen WELL WORTH IT

ps it has only a few chairs for a sit in but its aimed at take out. take it home and enjoymmmmmmmm

when you go in say "bossman sent you" , if they know you know me they make it just that little more speacial ,

Best, least-MSG-y Chinese takeaway in the city centre?

Preferably one with lots of decent vegetarian options.

• Advertisement

Been into that Indian in pallasgreen and thought it a bit toned down spice wise, will give it another go.

Advertisement