Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gigitygigity

nah_biy! wrote: »
    Says the lad registered a day! Baseless comment really as I'd have a decent knowledge of a large proportion of acts, particularly the Cork DubCulture crownd.

and why do you think i registered? so i could reply to your moanin! go over to the life forum, im a regular poster over there!

so how can you say FSOL would be an extravaganza when they play ambient/down tempo? are you gonna be goin wild to that music? especially with them playing over the internet? did you not read the review from the BLOC festival?

I was looking forward to seeing Andy Weatherall too, but he was cancelled cos he was double booked! but i didnt bitch and moan about it!

i dont really care what big acts are playin, im sure most of the lesser known dj's will put on just as good a show! Im goin dowen to enjoy myself with my mates, catch a few dj's and enjoy the overall experience! just hope the weathers clears up!

not looking too bad so far

type in Meath or Westmeath

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp

and click on 8-14 days for the sunday forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

and why do you think i registered? so i could reply to your moanin! go over to the life forum, im a regular poster over there!

so how can you say FSOL would be an extravaganza when they play ambient/down tempo? are you gonna be goin wild to that music? especially with them playing over the internet? did you not read the review from the BLOC festival?
    The event was selling itself on an extraveganza of FSOL.

Where have I suggested there music would be any different to what it is. Don't sell FSOL "live for the first time in Ireland" then come over all sanctimonious when it's actually ISDN. The majority of people going or who have half an inclination to go would be aware of this fact. "live in Ireland" is entirely different to an ISDN link. Secondly, why on earth, knowing for a number of months would organisers would need a pretty basic ISDN infrastructure not sort it.

I literally will set if up for free, surely the Kells phone exchange has been updated to handle say DSL, let alone ISDN, which about 95% of Irish landlines can handle. Simply not good enough. neutronyx you need a modem? I've plenty.

Yes I'm speaking about one specific act and yes I'm aware the weekend will be good, I've never suggested otherwise, in fact if you re-read the thread you'll see where I mentioned acts I cannot wait to see.

Sneaking acts off with no reason (until very recently) AFTER the tickets went on release simply isn't good enough, whether it's one guy in a shed or a mighty army of promoters.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

The promoters should have been upfront about all this really. How hard would that have been? People are bound to get pissed off when acts they were looking forward to disappear without a noise.

Still, its gonna be a great weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I have to say i'm more than a bit disappointed after reading through this thread. I saw the Ad for this festival in yesterdays Star and some of the cancelled acts are still on the ad. FSOL for starters. Surely this is false advertising??
    The other reason for my disappointment is that i went to see Carl cox, hot chip and pet shop boys* there 2 years ago and thought that Ballinlough was an amazing venue and the day was brilliant. Of course the weather was 25 c and not a cloud in the sky so that helped but this thread has made me rethink going now. Wouldn't mind but its only 15 mins from where i live.

*sat in the Rose garden and had a long and very enjoyable smoke or 3 while they were on. I wan't alone on that either. Dont know what kind of logic puts Carl Cox and Pet Shop Boys back to back but if you want to see a crowd leave a place quickly and return just as quickly 90 mins later thats the way to do it.

• Advertisement

And another thing... the Kitchen sync- We can all broadcast over the net from our homes and Vinyl junkie has managed to put together a great wee station for anyone who wants to listen or broadcast themselves. If i can broadcast from my house which is 15 mins away from the gig venue and probably on the same exchange then surely The Future Sound Of London can manage to broadcast sound from their futuristic city of london?????? Pathetic excuse from an overrated dated outfit.

Kitchen Sync, 1- FSOL, Nil

Where have I suggested there music would be any different to what it is. Don't sell FSOL "live for the first time in Ireland" then come over all sanctimonious when it's actually ISDN. The majority of people going or who have half an inclination to go would be aware of this fact. "live in Ireland" is entirely different to an ISDN link. Secondly, why on earth, knowing for a number of months would organisers would need a pretty basic ISDN infrastructure not sort it.

I literally will set if up for free, surely the Kells phone exchange has been updated to handle say DSL, let alone ISDN, which about 95% of Irish landlines can handle. Simply not good enough. neutronyx you need a modem? I've plenty.

Yes I'm speaking about one specific act and yes I'm aware the weekend will be good, I've never suggested otherwise, in fact if you re-read the thread you'll see where I mentioned acts I cannot wait to see.

Sneaking acts off with no reason (until very recently) AFTER the tickets went on release simply isn't good enough, whether it's one guy in a shed or a mighty army of promoters.

Fair enough, i can see why you're disgruntled about FSOL. it's all abit of a mess tbh! i dont believe they would have purposely advertised FSOL if they knew they wouldnt be playing!

they should have stated that it was a studio set and not live, instead of leading people to believe it was live at the festival!

As for the ISDN matter, I dont know if thats the real reason for FSOL not playing or there are other matters at work! as you say, its not hard to set up a link, a bit of telephone cabling and routers isnt hard to set up me thinks! but i wonder is there broadband coverage for the castle? it is out in the country after all! so a little more info from the organisers would be nice on the technical problems!

tbf, I wudnt be bothered with FSOL since they cant be bothered to play live for their fans, feck em! One of the dudes is a bit of weirdo who doesnt give interviews and wont even appear on the camera during their "Live" shows, so I'd say he's the reason for the studio shows! i mean, what purpose does it serve playing from their studio?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

the lads over on the weather forum have some potentially great news for next weekend.. :cool:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055571309

Recm1681.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Says the lad registered a day! Baseless comment really as I'd have a decent knowledge of a large proportion of acts, particularly the Cork DubCulture crownd.

The Cork Dub Culture crowd?

The Galway DubCulture crowd you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Daroxtar wrote: »
    And another thing... the Kitchen sync- We can all broadcast over the net from our homes and Vinyl junkie has managed to put together a great wee station for anyone who wants to listen or broadcast themselves. If i can broadcast from my house which is 15 mins away from the gig venue and probably on the same exchange then surely The Future Sound Of London can manage to broadcast sound from their futuristic city of london?????? Pathetic excuse from an overrated dated outfit.

Kitchen Sync, 1- FSOL, Nil

Cheers for the plug Daroxtar, unfortunatly I won't be making this year's festival im off to Melt in July so im saving myself for that. Next year I plan on getting to Life and Sibin.

Enjoy it I hope the weather gods are good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

The Cork Dub Culture crowd?

The Galway DubCulture crowd you mean?
    Well yeh Rob and the lads are from Galway, but pedal your gig in Cork and you're from Cork :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

is there any town or shop near this place, incase need to get smokes or cheap food or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Yeah weather looks like its gonna be good :cool: Fingers crossed :)

Bummer about FSOL, but fcuk it lets not let it ruin our weekend. The organisers let us down twice with that one, but on the other hand it is a cheap festival, with a laid back policy. It seems like Neutronxy don't rape us like so many other nightclubs and organisers do so I'm going to let them away with this one.

Spunge wrote: »
    is there any town or shop near this place, incase need to get smokes or cheap food or something.

Its only about 3 miles from the village of Clonmellon or 5 from Delvin if thats close enough? Not walking distance though, unless you have a couple of hours to spare or you're one of those mad slightly chubby middle aged women that wear Lidl track suits and swing their arms wildly on town bypasses in the evenings :)

BTW, forget about it being advertised as being close to Athboy. Its on the N52 between Mullingar and Kells or to be exact, between Delvin and Clonmellon. If you know the area then fine, take the back roads and you'll get there but the easiest way is stick to the N52 which connects Nenagh to Dundalk via Birr, Tullamore, Mullingar, Kells and Ardee so you should be able to get there from whatever side handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Its only about 3 miles from the village of Clonmellon or 5 from Delvin if thats close enough? Not walking distance though, unless you have a couple of hours to spare or you're one of those mad slightly chubby middle aged women that wear Lidl track suits and swing their arms wildly on town bypasses in the evenings :)

BTW, forget about it being advertised as being close to Athboy. Its on the N52 between Mullingar and Kells or to be exact, between Delvin and Clonmellon. If you know the area then fine, take the back roads and you'll get there but the easiest way is stick to the N52 which connects Nenagh to Dundalk via Birr, Tullamore, Mullingar, Kells and Ardee so you should be able to get there from whatever side handy enough

According to Google maps, and a receptionist at a hotel in Athboy that I spoke to, Athboy is only 5/10 mins from the castle??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Can someone link to the exact location on google maps please?

A_Fitz wrote: »
    According to Google maps, and a receptionist at a hotel in Athboy that I spoke to, Athboy is only 5/10 mins from the castle??
    It is, but for anyone thats not too familiar with the area the easiest way is gettin on the N52

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&ie=UTF8&ll=53.639397,-7.033482&spn=0.027173,0.090981&z=14

I have to say i'm more than a bit disappointed after reading through this thread. I saw the Ad for this festival in yesterdays Star and some of the cancelled acts are still on the ad. FSOL for starters. Surely this is false advertising??

That's not good. FSOL cancelling is big news. I'm sure the organisers are upset about it too, but either way the first thing they should have done is contact advertising outlets and inform them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.yournight.ie/play.php?vid=989

Zascar wrote: »
    WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.yournight.ie/play.php?vid=989

hope no one from ^^ends up here by mistake.....
    http://www.bluejeanfest.com/

also on in athboy this weekend

then again it could be fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

hope no one from ^^ends up here by mistake.....
    http://www.bluejeanfest.com/

also on in athboy this weekend

then again it could be fun :D

hmmmmm tough call that. I'm leaning towards cancelling my set and heading on down to the blue jean fest for some good ole **** kicking line dancing fun. there's nothing like the shine off a room full of cowboy boots when the yokes start kicking in :p

So who here is actually playing at Life? When and Where? I'll do my best to catch your gigs if you let us all know!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I clicked the blue jeans link and my browser warned me of malware on the site :eek:

Me too - I did not go any further

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Me too - I did not go any further

No me neither, the desire to keep my computer free of malware beat off the temptation of blue jeans etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

So who here is actually playing at Life? When and Where? I'll do my best to catch your gigs if you let us all know!

yep, I'm interested in catching as many fellow boards folks as possible even if only to tap some drum n' bass guy on the shoulder in the middle of his set and ask him to play 'stairway to heaven' cos I can't hear myself think with all that boomblee boom music :p

I'm playing anyway under the name miXile. I was originally told that I'd be on Sunday at 12:00 noon (my prefered time) but the Life site lineup posted today shows me as being Saturday afternoon at 17:30, dunno ya gotta love the ruthless efficiancy of the Life folks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

old gregg wrote: »
    yep, I'm interested in catching as many fellow boards folks as possible even if only to tap some drum n' bass guy on the shoulder in the middle of his set and ask him to play 'stairway to heaven' cos I can't hear myself think with all that boomblee boom music :p

I'm playing anyway under the name miXile. I was originally told that I'd be on Sunday at 12:00 noon (my prefered time) but the Life site lineup posted today shows me as being Saturday afternoon at 17:30, dunno ya gotta love the ruthless efficiancy of the Life folks :p

hahaha - well i'm playing at ten on saturday night, was told originally i'd be playing on the sunday with caspa and goldie but they seem to have had a change of heart - +1 on the ruthless efficiency anyway!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Heard some of the mainstage live last night on 2fm - anyone know if there's a podcast knocking about? It was fairly epic stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

When are FSOL playing (from their studio in London) is it tonite,will it be broadcast live,etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

jonny68 wrote: »
    When are FSOL playing (from their studio in London) is it tonite,will it be broadcast live,etc?

They pulled out.

Advertisement