Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Aw man I've been wanting to go to this for a few years. People I know I are always raving on about it. If only I had a bit of cash!
    ya know, I've been going to Life for a few years and the thing I look forward to most is meeting up with folks that I've not seen since the last time.
    Along the way I've made some close friends and that's pretty cool.
    Grab yourself a ticket and the rest will take care of itself. You'll not go hungry and hey this is Ireland, there will always be a beer to spare. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Why not? It was done a few weeks ago so is a valid quesiton... oh and do you really need the roll eyes there too?

No I suppose I didn't need it :rolleyes:

Only joking, I must have skimmed over the part where you said it was done a few weeks ago. Would be shockin if it was, they might as well stick on a cd.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

disssco wrote: »
    No I suppose I didn't need it :rolleyes:

Only joking, I must have skimmed over the part where you said it was done a few weeks ago. Would be shockin if it was, they might as well stick on a cd.

Suppose you didn't :rolleyes:

Yeah it was meant to be sh*te. A bloke I know was over at BLOC a few weeks ago and he said he left the FSOL 'gig' after 20 minutes because it was so bad. Comments online about it such as...
    Disappointingly, The Future Sound of London proved to be less than the exciting act from yesterday everyone had been hoping for. Not actually present on-stage, instead choosing to ISDN their set in from a studio somewhere as they used to when they performed “live”, seeing them twiddle knobs and press various buttons on the screens simply lacked any audience engagement and fell flat as the crowd merely swayed along with the bleepy sounds. Granted their obvious closing track and arguably their finest creation, “Papua New Guinea”, brought whoops of approval, yet even its dreamy vocals and well-known beats weren’t enough to dispel an air of unfilled expectation.
    http://www.zapbangmagazine.com/music/features/79/

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Looks like FSOL are doing the ISDN link thing at life too.

http://www.neutronyx.net/newsletters/abril09/images/abril_03.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Shulgin wrote: »
    Looks like FSOL are doing the ISDN link thing at life too.

http://www.neutronyx.net/newsletters/abril09/images/abril_03.jpg

I don't see how they can be classed as 'headlining' when they won't even be there. By the sounds of the reports from BLOC, FSOL won't be much to look forward to.

How can this even be classed as their first ever gig in Ireland?! :confused: .com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I don't see how they can be classed as 'headlining' when they won't even be there. By the sounds of the reports from BLOC, FSOL won't be much to look forward to.

How can this even be classed as their first ever gig in Ireland?! :confused: .com

Thats slightly shambolic alright.

Was considering going to see them but am thinking otherwise now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Bit of a joke alright performing from their studio via ISDN after the problems @ BLOC Festival, why cant they perform live?Don't get me wrong im a massive fan and id love to see them but if they are performing via ISDN you may as well just be listening to them on your sound system :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Thats slightly shambolic alright.

Was considering going to see them but am thinking otherwise now.

Totally agree, I mean just jump on a Ryanair flight over it only costs like 60 euro !!! Sure we can do a whip-Around and pay for it ourselves :O

It is a sad day for oldschool dance music when the main Act doesnt even bother to be there in Person ! I mean whats the point ? We may as well not leave our gaffs and just sit at home listening to CD's if thats the case LOL

FSOL by ISDN = FAIL

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Well its worse that promoters will actually support this method. After the evident shambles at BLOC, you would think that FSOL would drop the whole ISDN thing and actually play at a festival.

I just wished that Life promoted them as not playing live, rather by playing ISDN, therefore not misleading punters.

I've a few of their albums on the ipod, sure i might just bring speakers and listen to them in the campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

The gas thing about FSOL was that they pulled this exact same stunt off ten years ago (a huge string of ISDN type gigs) and since this is the 15th anniversary of the ISDN album I'm pretty sure it's all they actually want to do...

Bear in mind that you either get them to do a set of all the classics but done the same way as they used to do them back then (over an ISDN connection with a bunch of dodgy visuals) or you get them turning up with a full live band and playing a set of all new stuff - which essentially means you get to see a bunch of hippies having a jam with guitars and bongos and what not

there's much better stuff on the lineup than FSOL, and it's not like you haven't heard all their good stuff a million and a fecking half times already by now anyway...

interestingly - is this the first ever documented case where musical engagement with the internet looks retro???

:eek:

• Advertisement

The gas thing about FSOL was that they pulled this exact same stunt off ten years ago (a huge string of ISDN type gigs) and since this is the 15th anniversary of the ISDN album I'm pretty sure it's all they actually want to do...

Forgive my ignorance, but thought this was the only way FSOL ever play live, via ISDN linkup. They did it in the mid 90s, dropped it for 10 years, and just started it again afaik.

I'm pretty sure FSOL played live at some smaller Raves or Festivals in the early/mid 1990's,i actually didn't know they were going to play via ISDN @ BLOC,i thought they would be live and while some people liked it it appears quite a lot didn't, and this ISDN thing at a festival is just a no no, i mean all you've to do is bring along a big sound system with visuals yourself and you've got pretty much the same thing.

Even if they were to just play an Ambient set id love that, id stock up on weed and that would be me happy but this ISDN is a no no and Life should try and get them to actually come over and play live.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

F**k this, I got the ticket on the basis (actually supposition at the time) that FSOL would headline it. The line up is very decent by and large but this might be too much for me, I don't know.

I'll have to talk to the lads at length. FSOL were the main draw for me, neutronyx this extremely sneaky on your part. First Andrew Weatherall slips off the line up (another monster draw for me) and now the lads can pretty much press play like Justice and pretend to play live/dj if they so wish.

nah_biy! wrote: »
    F**k this, I got the ticket on the basis (actually supposition at the time) that FSOL would headline it. The line up is very decent by and large but this might be too much for me, I don't know.

I'll have to talk to the lads at length. FSOL were the main draw for me, neutronyx this extremely sneaky on your part. First Andrew Weatherall slips off the line up (another monster draw for me) and now the lads can pretty much press play like Justice and pretend to play live/dj if they so wish.
    Where did Andrew Weatherall disappear to? Im just after noticing his name is gone off the website.

Well, at least we still have Caspa, Leger, Craig and Mulero to keep us happy.

Where did Andrew Weatherall disappear to? Im just after noticing his name is gone off the website.

Well, at least we still have Caspa, Leger, Craig and Mulero to keep us happy.

As you well know they were pretty much the basis for me going. Utter joke.

Sure what else will we be at that weekend. Better spend the bank holiday there than on the piss in Cork etc.

But is this not all a bit like buying a ticket to the Who and saying 'What do you mean no Keith Moon? What a rip off'. Or saying Pink Floyd ripped off their fans in 1980 because they played behind a wall.

It's what they do. There is no stroke pulled or trickery.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Looks like I'm going to this now too.

Not really sure what to expect but a good crew of mine going to will be fun no matter what anyway. As long as I get to see Carl Craig I'll be happy...

But is this not all a bit like buying a ticket to the Who and saying 'What do you mean no Keith Moon? What a rip off'. Or saying Pink Floyd ripped off their fans in 1980 because they played behind a wall.

It's what they do. There is no stroke pulled or trickery.

Not entirely sure, why would Life advertise that it's their first ever live gig in Ireland. It's a screen, they'r in England. Does that mean Sky News is live in Ireland too?

The Andrew Weatherall situation is even more bizarre. Who else will get pulled that's the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Life is more about partying for 3 days straight than the acts tbh.

Don't get me wrong, having top quality artists playing all around you is one of the key things that makes Life so great, but going specifically to see certain acts shouldn't be the main focus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Totally agree! I had one of the most enjoyable days of my life at EP last year, we spent the whole day just chilling around a group of tents, laods of people coming and going just having a blast - I can't even remember what gigs I saw that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Zascar wrote: »
    Totally agree! I had one of the most enjoyable days of my life at EP last year, we spent the whole day just chilling around a group of tents, laods of people coming and going just having a blast - I can't even remember what gigs I saw that night.

Completely agree - lineup is actually quite decent this year compared to last year; I only got around to seeing Deadmau5 and Diplo (although I did set up for the Orb and stayed around backstage for most of their set). Rest of my time was spent coming to in the Tir na gCaiste area in the woods around 6-7am and stumbling back to my tent.

The Thursday night with the soundchecks is really good craic, but I'll never forget the first night (friday) with a seriously heavy dubstep set until about 7am in Tir na gCaiste; every head in the festival emerging shakily out of the woods into the dawn to find three or four hundred people set up in the cinema tent smoking away happily and singing along with 'Dark Side of the Oz'. What a fecking festival!

Bands of note this year are;
    ORBITAL
    Skream and Benga
    Simian Mobile Disco
    Fourtet
    Zero 7
    Jape
    2 Many DJs (pure gorgonzola, but always great craic)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭neutronyx

Future sound of London are true visionaries, they have a one of the most timeless sound and their music can be enjoyed by people of all ages and that matches exactly with the spirit of Life.
    Their way of communication with the outside world is through their music,
    The show that they provide deserves all kinds of respect, instead of playing with a laptop or spinning some vinyls, they provide us a full live show using their whole infrastructure of synths, drum machines, vocoders...using the same machines that created their amazing sounds in their studios in early nineteens.,
    After 10 years they are performing again a very very limited number of shows in 2009 (and who knows when they will do it again) and headlining some of the biggest events like BLOC festival or Bestival 2009. So i believe that for those who respect and love their music we should not miss this opportunity of enjoying the first (and maybe the last) Future Sound Of London Audio&Visual show in Ireland.

neutronyx wrote: »
    Future sound of London are true visionaries, they have a one of the most timeless sound and their music can be enjoyed by people of all ages and that matches exactly with the spirit of Life.
    The show that they provide deserves all kinds of respect, instead of playing with a laptop or spinning some vinyls, they provide us a full live show using their whole infrastructure of synths, drum machines, vocoders...using the same machines that created their amazing sounds in their studios in early nineteens.,
    After 10 years they are performing again a very very limited number of shows in 2009 (and who knows when they will do it again) and headlining some of the biggest events like BLOC festival or Bestival 2009. So i believe that for those who respect and love their music we should not miss this opportunity of enjoying the first (and maybe the last) Future Sound Of London Audio&Visual show in Ireland.
    And joining us from their studio all the way over in london (live might I add) are..........

Whats the story with Andrew Weatherall falling off the face of the earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

nah_biy! wrote: »
    First Andrew Weatherall slips off the line up (another monster draw for me)

In all bloody fairness weatherall hasn't done much of note in the past decade at the very least...

Still the point is that an artist disappeared from the line-up without any announcement to say he was pulling out for one reason or another

In all bloody fairness weatherall hasn't done much of note in the past decade at the very least...

Not true he has been very busy in fact (Two lone swordsman being just one project)Weatherall is a legend and has played some amazing sets.

neutronyx wrote: »

Indeed they are visionaries, however playing via ISDN just doesn't do it for a crowd and after the technical problems @ BLOC it could end up a very dissapointing gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

mkay kids, so here's a question for some more in touch folks than I ... and I mean that in all honesty. Outside of FSOL on tv the main acts appear to be:
    CARL GRAIG - ASTRIX - GREEN VELVET

GOLDIE - SEBASTIEN LEGER - ALTERN 8 - OSCAR MULERO

SPECIAL GUEST - DAYDIN - KINDZAZA - CASPA

so, in 2009 why would you cross the road to see any of these? Of course everyone knows who Carl Craig is and most of the names I've heard of and even taken a mo to check out the myspace links etc but ... not sure how to phrase this .... within their genres, how many of these would be considered top of their game or you know what I mean ... and just for a moment leaving aside all the 'love and peace and festival vibe' :) good stuff that I've experienced at Life before ... when it comes down to the question of would you drive 200k to see any of these names then who/what floats to the top and says it would be worthwhile.

Just interested and willing to learn from others :)

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    mkay kids, so here's a question for some more in touch folks than I ... and I mean that in all honesty. Outside of FSOL on tv the main acts appear to be:
    CARL GRAIG - ASTRIX - GREEN VELVET

GOLDIE - SEBASTIEN LEGER - ALTERN 8 - OSCAR MULERO

SPECIAL GUEST - DAYDIN - KINDZAZA - CASPA

so, in 2009 why would you cross the road to see any of these? Of course everyone knows who Carl Craig is and most of the names I've heard of and even taken a mo to check out the myspace links etc but ... not sure how to phrase this .... within their genres, how many of these would be considered top of their game or you know what I mean ... and just for a moment leaving aside all the 'love and peace and festival vibe' :) good stuff that I've experienced at Life before ... when it comes down to the question of would you drive 200k to see any of these names then who/what floats to the top and says it would be worthwhile.

Just interested and willing to learn from others :)
    Well the FSOL thing is a ****ing disgrace to be honest, thumbs down to the promoters on all fronts regarding that one. I wouldnt really mind it if had been advertised as an ISDN set as opposed to a live gig - mind you, its what to expect off promoters these days

They were my big act to be honest, I plan on by-passing their gig.

Caspa though, along with Craig, justify my ticket price to be honest. And the drive is about 60 mile, so its not all bad....

Advertisement