Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Ha, I had a dream that I was at this last night. And it was a brilliant dream!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

old gregg wrote: »
    mkay kids, so here's a question for some more in touch folks than I ... and I mean that in all honesty. Outside of FSOL on tv the main acts appear to be:
    CARL GRAIG - ASTRIX - GREEN VELVET

GOLDIE - SEBASTIEN LEGER - ALTERN 8 - OSCAR MULERO

SPECIAL GUEST - DAYDIN - KINDZAZA - CASPA

Craig is god, we just strolled over to him at "KidsFest in Kildare" last year and holy sh*t, maybe it was my sunstroke, who knows, but surely that was the best hour of my life, pure banging eat your face off beats. Goldie will be one of the must see acts, the man is a pure and utter artist (just realised the irony) really looking forward to seeing him rip it up. I'm not madly gone on dubstep but Caspa's ability is undoubtable. Such a talent for some one so young too. Aside from that Sebastien Leger is so groove-tastically funkalicious I'll cut off my oxygen supply if I miss him, oh an Altern8 too, almost as infamous as FSOL surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭neutronyx

New Additions.
    Loefah (Digital Mistikz) - Dubstep
    Christian Smith - Tech

Plus one whole area for Live Bands (Reggae, world, fusion, ....) HUMAN MUSIC GARDEN.

Bands

Intin - Robotnic - Breakdown Crew - The Hot Sprockets - The Red Lables - Rodeo Clowns - The Rye - New Secret Weapon - The Murder of Crows - Skuzzi Port - Fushion Family - More Tiny Gaints - The Bone Yard Junkies - Erick Noon - Sound of System Breakdown - ByPolar Empire - Sons of Ginger Bread - Mescalito - The Bottom Floor Band - Bovine Frenzy - The Looks - Enda Reilly - Nail Lawlor - Andy Delimer - Brain Kerie - Marus Karus - James Gillmartain - Babys Big Ego - The Pocket Ace's

DJ´s

Kevelartone (New York) - DJ Chanty Lace - The Guilty Boy Acc - Will Softly - Ginger - Bread Dub - Count Burgo - Rob Da Bear

And many more...

and for only 105 + BF 3 days camping .Is the Festival of the present Times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

Well the FSOL thing is a ****ing disgrace to be honest, thumbs down to the promoters on all fronts regarding that one. I wouldnt really mind it if had been advertised as an ISDN set as opposed to a live gig - mind you, its what to expect off promoters these days

They were my big act to be honest, I plan on by-passing their gig.

Caspa though, along with Craig, justify my ticket price to be honest. And the drive is about 60 mile, so its not all bad....

What difference would it make if they were there?
    I thought it was grand myself, quite interesting actually. I think lots of people just weren't into the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Photojoe wrote: »
    What difference would it make if they were there?
    I thought it was grand myself, quite interesting actually. I think lots of people just weren't into the music.
    Well its interesting, but still shambolic.

Two fellas playing in their studio in London, hundreds of people in a field in Westmeath looking at screens. Just wonderful isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

hardly the promoter's fault mate, that's just what FSOL do

bit rich calling a promoter greedy when you're getting all of the above for 105 euro for a three day camping ticket too, in all fairness... that's a third of the cost of EP and it won't be nearly as full of annoying yuppies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

bit rich calling a promoter greedy when you're getting all of the above for 105 euro for a three day camping ticket too, in all fairness... that's a third of the cost of EP and it won't be nearly as full of annoying yuppies...

Steve I don't know where you've learned your maths but EP is not €315.

Life is relatively cheap for an Irish festival but still **** expensive compared to the rest of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Photojoe wrote: »
    Life is relatively cheap for an Irish festival but still **** expensive compared to the rest of Europe.

I'd imagine Ireland, been a tiny spec across an ocean on the outskirts of Europe incur a higher cost for transport of dj's, bands, etc that festivals in mainland Europe would not have.

€105 for 3 days is class IMO

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's been done to death, yes European festivals are ridiculously cheap in comparison but there are mamy factors that contribute to it. €100 for a 3 day camping event with some great acts is still pretty good I think.

Yeah, but they could have advertised it as an ISDN set instead of saying its their 'first time in Ireland', when really, they've yet to come!

Yuppies - Brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

old gregg wrote: »
    mkay kids, so here's a question for some more in touch folks than I ... and I mean that in all honesty. Outside of FSOL on tv the main acts appear to be:
    CARL GRAIG - ASTRIX - GREEN VELVET

GOLDIE - SEBASTIEN LEGER - ALTERN 8 - OSCAR MULERO

SPECIAL GUEST - DAYDIN - KINDZAZA - CASPA

so, in 2009 why would you cross the road to see any of these? Of course everyone knows who Carl Craig is and most of the names I've heard of and even taken a mo to check out the myspace links etc but ... not sure how to phrase this .... within their genres, how many of these would be considered top of their game or you know what I mean ... and just for a moment leaving aside all the 'love and peace and festival vibe' :) good stuff that I've experienced at Life before ... when it comes down to the question of would you drive 200k to see any of these names then who/what floats to the top and says it would be worthwhile.

Just interested and willing to learn from others :)

well i'd go for goldie, carl craig, oscar mulero and loefah from digital mystikz (who should have his name and caspa's swapped on the lineup out of respect IMO)... RSD in the Dubstep Tent is Rob Smith from Smith and Mighty, also Neil Landstrum is playing at this...

the rest of the names are psytrance heads, and while that's a closed book to me they're pretty big names in that scene (the first hit on a google for "psy trance" is an astrix video, like)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Anyone know if there's any reggae soundsystem playing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Life is a great festival no doubt mores the pity FSOL are playing via ISDN a massive letdown by all accounts (live or nothing) but im sure it'll be deadly all the same although i cant make it but ill be at the EP to see the legendary Orbital.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭neutronyx

Worries Outernational

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

neutronyx wrote: »
    Worries Outernational

Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

by the by,

if you wanna check out my breaks set from the Breakology tent last year, it's available here

http://postbocks.com/uploads/fenster-fenster-life-festival-08-wwwbreakologyie

Tracklisting/Details:

Fenster – Life Festival 08
    www.breakology.ie
    1. Leftfield – Inspection (Precision Cuts Mix) – Bootleg
    2. Kultur – Don’t Panic – Sold Out Breakz
    3. Peter Paul – Reverendo (Deep Impact Mix) – Lot49
    4. Ben and Lex – Wind It Back – Silo
    5. Dave Dub – Band Camp Deluxe (Myagi Mix) – DSV
    6. Autobots – Flesheaters (General Midi Mix) – Broke
    7. Chris Carter – Bottyfunk – En:vision
    8. Cut n Run – Liquid –Bootleg
    9. DJ Defkline and Red Polo – Collie Budz – Bootleg
    10. DJ Rapid – Crank – Bassrock
    11. Far Too Loud – You Know The Sound – Funkatech
    12. Humanoid – Stakker Humanoid (Plump DJs Mix) – Jumpin and Pumpin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There are a lot of acts and DJ's I've never heard of on this lineup, can anyone tell me who would be godo to go see from a techno/house/tech house/minimal side of things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

FSOL cancelled. Not on site any more. Confirmed on the Life forum.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    FSOL cancelled. Not on site any more. Confirmed on the Life forum.
    Link?

http://www.neutronyx.net/life/forum_life/smf/index.php?topic=2514.0
    forumlife wrote:
    FSOL show planned for Friday 22:00 was always via ISDN as that is the only way they do it since 1997. To be honest we though we could convince them to come to ireland.
    Problems with the ISDN lines and all the technical requirements will make that not possible for Life Festival (If any other promoter wants to try we would help them as much as we can). Apologies but can not be possible for us.
    If you were thinking about coming to Life just to see FSOL live, we advise you to wait a bit and you might see that show in a club indoor soon in Ireland.

• Advertisement

That's ridiculous. I mean seriously, in this day and age it can not be that difficult to broadcast a gig over the internet etc.

How in the hell anyone booked them, but only Now finds out that technically they can not do it??? There is something not right there...

Was gonna have to really work on persuading the wife this weekend, I just couldn't miss FSOL. Now my reason for having to go is gone, though still would really like to make it, plenty of other acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Ah well, plenty more to see and do rather than watch some lazy feckers through their ISDN link. :D

Hopefully the weather will be ok.

Awfully organised festival just keeps getting worse and worse.

But hey, it's in a great location?

Oh right, so "playing live in Ireland for the first time" implied FSOL would be by ISDN, as if I needed a condescending promoter to tell me that. How is it not possible, all you need is a friggin' modem and line. Eircom will lob you one for €100, heck, I'll come up there and set the thing up myself!

Please. If you didn't realise the local phone exhange wasn't updated you're as thick as the castle walls.

Andrew Weatherall's sneaking off the line up of course still hasn't been explained.

A week to the festival and this nugget comes out, hmmmm, I'm sure you flogged plenty of extra tickets for it and all eh?

Pathetic. Don't bother giving me this "there's loads of other acts too" bollix. The event was selling itself on an extraveganza of FSOL.

If Mantua was going ahead this year, id be flogging my ticket for Life and headin to that instead......

Sadly though, barring E.P. , which is gettin worse every year, there is nothing else of offer in terms of alternative festivals here this summer.

Considering that it was always going to be an ISDN set, im not wholly bothered, but as the previous posters have spoken of, im baffled that the standard requirements for the hosting of a set of thus type should have been fully investigated and met prior to any approach.

This doesnt look good for the promoters whatsoever!

Neutronyx aren't the most organised promoter in the world, but they put on great club nights and a great festival.

It's not an excuse for canceling the headliner a week before the show, I know. But Life Festival has never been about specific acts, it's about a big, insane party with great music for 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gigitygigity

Nay Biy, stop you're fecking moanin will ya! A three day camping festival for €100? where else would you get that in Ireland

1. Life is not a corporate sponsored festival like ******/EP, so they dont have huge amounts of money to employ people to run around like headless chickens! all the work is done by a small group of people!

2. Dont blame life for FSOL being wierdos! Im actually glad they're not coming now, there's loads better acts like Altern 8. For any of you that know much about music, Altern 8 will be the highlight of the weekend, dont miss it!

3. The crowd at this festival is not like your other festivals, its laid back with no chavs/skoobies/skangers!

4. In my previous camping festivals, ive only ever managed to see 3-4 acts the whole weekend! ive alwasy missed the ones i wanted to see, so stop your moanin!

5. Its all about the general experience, meeting new people, partyin with you mates!

For €100, €140 less than EP, you cant go wrong!

So do me a favour, stop your bitchin, go to the festival and then tell us what you think after!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gigitygigity

nah_biy! wrote: »
    Pathetic. Don't bother giving me this "there's loads of other acts too" bollix. The event was selling itself on an extraveganza of FSOL.

so the event was selling itself just cos FSOL were expected to play? walofs! extravaganza my arse, have you ever listened to their music? you really are a noob!

so the event was selling itself just cos FSOL were expected to play? walofs! extravaganza my arse, have you ever listened to their music? you really are a noob!

Says the lad registered a day! Baseless comment really as I'd have a decent knowledge of a large proportion of acts, particularly the Cork DubCulture crownd.

• Advertisement

My issue is the slyness of it all.

Advertisement