Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

teednab-el wrote: »
    Oh Christ here we go again blaiming the referee after Kerry loosing a match, its getting old now. Kerry were beaten by the better team. Too much was blown up out of proportion by Kerry fans on their victory against a very poor Dublin side last week.Far too early in the year to be judging performances. Armagh are a force so far in this league.

Not taking away from Armagh's victory, but the ref was a joke. I watched it on Setanta and some of the calls he made were almost unbelievable, especially some frees.

`

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bcb1

Jeez Clever, how many names have you these days??? I have trouble remembering my own real name sometimes nevermind all my internet names!!!! Anyway, I agree with your sentiments. That was a fantastic result and in my mind I have been happily proved wrong to date in much of my thoughts about things around the teams. Straight up I have heard stories from a number of sources(non-Cross ones I might emphasize) which had suggested that things were not good around the squad and that PG was having his work cut out getting them to see things his way. At half time last week against Cork my feelings seemed fully justified. Whatever happened in the dressing room at HT last week seems to have lit torch in these boys and they have reacted fantastically. The second half last week was good but I still had doubts as I felt Cork were not great and the lose of a man made it much easier for Armagh to pull back into the game so I was keeping my counsel on that a small bit. Last nights performance was excellent from start to finish. That was a very strong team Kerry had out. 2 O Se's, Galvin, Killian Young, the goalkeeper, O'Mahony, Sheehan, Maher, Darren O'S, Declan O'S, Donaghy, will all start championship this year. For Arnagh to travel to Tralee and get the result they did against such a strong team and in the manner in which they did is testament to the work that must be happening on the training field. Also a small bit of self belief can go a long way.

Also in fairness to the Kerry men on the Radio Weeshie and the boys were very magnanimous and clearly called it that the better team won and questioned the Kerry tactics quite a lot. I would say O'Connor will be under fierce pressure this year. They didn't exactly hang him out but they did make numerous references to the "plan B" option that was never employed really. The wanted Declan O'S closer to goal and the lower faster ball into him. I reckon that would have put Brendan Donaghy under serious pressure as he was on a yellow and O'Sullivan would have the pace advantage on him. They also queried why Curtin was not on earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

But lament in such a one eyed fashion?

Look, I don't want to be appearing to go down the road of going into every detail here on what DDC said. Despite all Kerry's success, you are all football people with your own loyalties just like us up here and it might or might not surprise you to know that many up in Armagh were howling derision at some of the referee's decisions. That's the nature of being a football fan!!

Kerry people here have been very generous to Armagh in their views of the match last night and that's appreciated. I would still have youse well ahead of us come the Summer too, so for all the praise, what we did last night has to be kept in context! ;)

Yeah I'm just saying he's crap, not that he was only crap for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i think donaghys best days are at 12 and ball winning around midfield, he cleaned up there in the AI final last september. id like to see declan play alot of ball at 14 this year, with galvin, declan, star, gooch being the 4 main forwards, with JOD, KOL, Daiti Casey and BJK batting out for the other position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Armagh got off to a flying start in this game and Kerry couldn't pull it back. While Kerry hadn't much luck, hitting the post on several occasions, it is great to see Armagh putting in the workrate.
    I have trouble remembering my own real name sometimes nevermind all my internet names!!!!

Welcome to Boards.ie, bcb, hopefully you'll also be in in good form after next Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'd echo what everyone is saying about Donaghy.

Whatever about being beaten by his man, he put minimal effort into the football, and spent most of the time mouthing.

He needs to be dropped and spend 2 or 3 games looking at the effort the other players are putting in, and then raise his game, and shuit his mouth.

Its no harm for Tomás to have a spell on the sidelines. hope it might keep him fresh for the latter stages of championship ( if we get there)

Positives from last night? Maguire looks like a proper Intercounty Cornerback or Wingback.
    Enright was very good again, and Maher was brilliant for spells around the middle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Having just watched the game on TG4 I must say that was a completely different Armagh team than the one which drew with Cork. They were completely rudderless until Kerrigan got ( wrongly) sent off and I think would have lost by 7 or 8 pts had it stayed 15 v 15.
    Kerry were poor enough last night. Sheehan covered some ground to be fair to him and the corner back (4 - MaGuire?) put in a very good shift I thought. The ref gave a few dodgy calls during the game but did ok. He booked Declan O'Sullivan but checked with the lineman first, so they both saw something. O Sé's red was a red all day long - silly thing to do. He had a free given against him a minute earlier and had a few bad wides so I expect he was fair píssed off, but a deserving red nonetheless.
    Donaghy getting booked is not in the slightest bit surprising. He spends way too much time fouling and mouthing off to anyone who will listen to him. Despite how talented he is, he has gone seriously off the ball. A rest is needed I think.
    Kerry have introduced a few youngsters and with enough game time could force their way nearer the championship 15.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

teednab-el wrote: »
    Oh Christ here we go again blaiming the referee after Kerry loosing a match, its getting old now. Kerry were beaten by the better team. Too much was blown up out of proportion by Kerry fans on their victory against a very poor Dublin side last week.Far too early in the year to be judging performances. Armagh are a force so far in this league.
    And hear we go again saying the other team are poor when Kerry win a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

@ Tomkelly or anyone else for that matter......

are you telling us the Armagh no 6 tried to get T o shea sent off when there was a little schmozzle in the 50th minute?

i would ask you and a few others to look again at this incident,this time look for Tomas's head? did he attempt a headbutt? watch it and come back on here with a response.
    i watched it,replayed it,replayed it again and all i could think of was the huge circus made of of the clare player last year who did similar to a cork lad in a championship game. tomas o shea should know better,but dont anyone say he didnt deserve to go,he might well have been sent to the line earlier with a different ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭wonga77

There is no defending tomaís, I was embarrassed to see him do that last night and he fully deserved his red

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Their can be no defence of Tomas O'Se's red card,a disgraceful foul and should get at least a month's suspension if not more for that thuggish carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tomkelly99

@ Tomkelly or anyone else for that matter......

are you telling us the Armagh no 6 tried to get T o shea sent off when there was a little schmozzle in the 50th minute?

i would ask you and a few others to look again at this incident,this time look for Tomas's head? did he attempt a headbutt? watch it and come back on here with a response.
    i watched it,replayed it,replayed it again and all i could think of was the huge circus made of of the clare player last year who did similar to a cork lad in a championship game. tomas o shea should know better,but dont anyone say he didnt deserve to go,he might well have been sent to the line earlier with a different ref.

I don't follow. I've defended nobody here. I merely stated that Tomás Ó'Sé fully deserved his red card. I saw the game today on TG4. I thought Kerry were very poor and overall I thought there was quite a lot of cynical fouling by both sides,with Armagh probably being the more cynical team. I failed to see where exactly any of Condons decisions penalised Kerry heavily. Might it simply be that Kerry took Armagh for granted?

tomkelly99 wrote: »
    I don't follow. I've defended nobody here. I merely stated that Tomás Ó'Sé fully deserved his red card. I saw the game today on TG4. I thought Kerry were very poor and overall I thought there was quite a lot of cynical fouling by both sides,with Armagh probably being the more cynical team. I failed to see where exactly any of Condons decisions penalised Kerry heavily. Might it simply be that Kerry took Armagh for granted?

Apologies Tom..... i mistook DDC1990's post as yours when you were replying to him.... sorry Tom:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Just wondering If any of you fellow posters were reading Tony Leen's report on the Kerry v Armagh game in the Irish Examiner today? In 1 of the paragraphs he stated that the guards had to go into the stand to intervene in a row between Kerry and Armagh fans? Did this actually happen? Worrying if this kind of thing is creeping into the GAA.

I heard there was a row about the time of Tomais's red card, didnt hear the finer details but i didnt hear that the guards were involved. ffs that is all we need to be creeping in.

I did see a schmozzel when Tomas was walking off,you can see clearly in the top right of the camera pictures stewards looking to contain some people.i did wonder what was going on at the time.

Probably just people standing up and moving towards the tunnel to abuse Tomás as he walked off. The guards "moving in" wouldn't have been much more than just moving between the player and the fans in that instance, if there was anything more to the incident than that I'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

keane2097 wrote: »
    Probably just people standing up and moving towards the tunnel to abuse Tomás as he walked off. The guards "moving in" wouldn't have been much more than just moving between the player and the fans in that instance, if there was anything more to the incident than that I'd be surprised.

I'm afraid there was more to it than that bud. Words were exchanged between 3 Armagh men and a few Kerry lads behind them and it got ugly. Was well away from the tunnel, but it WAS just as Tomás was being sent off, so I'm guessing that was the spark for it. Idiotic by anyone getting into a row in the stands at a league match or any match really.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I'm afraid there was more to it than that bud. Words were exchanged between 3 Armagh men and a few Kerry lads behind them and it got ugly. Was well away from the tunnel, but it WAS just as Tomás was being sent off, so I'm guessing that was the spark for it. Idiotic by anyone getting into a row in the stands at a league match or any match really.

Totally agree.

Shame to hear that, silly stuff.

• Advertisement

Fast forward to 6:28 sec and at 6:55 you can see a steward appearing to get involved in something out of camera shot

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Heard that Sean O'Sullivan has retired.....again. Some joke if its true.

Fair play to him for giving it a go. If the younger lads coming through end up as decorated as him they'll have had serious careers.

strange decision, surely after 2 games he could have given a bit longer. Unless he feel's aggreived at being taken off in both games?

I thought it was a strange decision him coming back in the first place. But yeah, he could have given it more than 2 games. He didnt look very happy being substituted a minute before half time against Armagh last saturday evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Read an article on Aertel about Paudi O Se criticizing the mouthing that the Kerry players are giving to referees. No name was dropped but only one springs to mind.

of course its Donaghy. My cat knows that he is a moany whingy pain in the hole on the field. I really think a few games off would do him the world of good. Nice fella though, off the field i mean
    Paudi giving advice is funny in itself!
    Re sean ban, must have been something with the management, i dont know why they didnt give him till ht the last day, being taken off in the 1st half is never a nice feeling. Must have been doing something right in training though but its an odd move all the same

blackbelt wrote: »
    Read an article on Aertel about Paudi O Se criticizing the mouthing that the Kerry players are giving to referees. No name was dropped but only one springs to mind.

Ha, you mustn't watch much of them!

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Nice fella though, off the field i mean

Just to echo that, he's an absolute gent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement