Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭youtheman

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Look at the 15 minutes or so BJK was on for the final. He wasn't a disaster.

Just because of that last free, people forget the rest of his play. He won a lot of ball, gave good passes. He had 2 turnovers because McQuillan did him out of 2 frees in scoring position, and a marginal wide from a near impossible angle.

He did struggle against Tipp in the first game though.

Point taken.

Last year I thought he was playing the 'super-sub' role and his final appearance was a bit of a setback. Last night he looked like he was nailing his place down in the starting line. His final point (albeit with the game wrapped up) was in stark contrast to his attempt in the final last year (and from memory they were both around the same spot on the pitch).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Yeah, he really turned it on.

Was chatting to his mother after the game (Gas Woman) she was shaking with excitement. She was telling everyone she could see that her son scored 3 points in Croke Park. He was so disappointed to be suspended for the game last year in Croke Park, because of his tangle with Noel O'Leary, he made sure to make his mark on this game.

Also, does anyone know where I could get my hands on highlights or the full game. Dying to watch it again from a more relaxed point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

youtheman wrote: »
    1. get a kicking coach for Sheehan. Hed had a very good game but you can't ignore his wayward kicking.

Thats exactly what you should do. Sheehan is one of the finest strikers of a football you are ever likely to see. He'd end up teaching your 'kicking coach'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

seen a re run of the match last night and a few things struck me -

barry john was even better than i thought, scored 3 and won 3 frees that led to scores as well as doing many many things. a great option for 15 this year.

tomas - superb. nothing more needs to be said here.

they gave MOM to darran sullivan? he was kerrys 5th or 6th player, at best...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

corny wrote: »
    Thats exactly what you should do. Sheehan is one of the finest strikers of a football you are ever likely to see. He'd end up teaching your 'kicking coach'.

But he blows hot and cold.

Over the past few years for Mary's, South Kerry and Kerry he has been missing frees one day that he would stick 10 times of the 10 the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

barry john was even better than i thought, scored 3 and won 3 frees that led to scores as well as doing many many things. a great option for 15 this year.

Hup!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

But he blows hot and cold.

Over the past few years for Mary's, South Kerry and Kerry he has been missing frees one day that he would stick 10 times of the 10 the next day.

yeah but every player will hve the odd bad day at kicking, sher Sexton was a joke the last day against Wales, and one of the missed Dubs frees was like a two year old took it, it was so bad. But when he is on form he is magnificent. Even the great Maurice Fitz had as many bad days in the office. But in fairness Sheehan's performances from play have been tremendous. I think he doid enough from play the last night to get man of the match.

Sheehan is nowhere near as good as Fitzgerald and O'Cinneide were at kicking frees.

He's a good free taker no doubt about it but the level of eulogising done about that aspect of his game is lol.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sheehan is nowhere near as good as Fitzgerald and O'Cinneide were at kicking frees.

He's a good free taker no doubt about it but the level of eulogising done about that aspect of his game is lol.

What age are you? I ofen remember the boys having bad days. Now Fitz was utter magic, but that was on his good day. Cinneide is nowwhere as near as good as Sheehan. In the last few years Sheehan performances fro play has come on so much. He is a tower house out there, whether in midfield or forward. I'm not sure how a massive free taker is important in Jack books. He often went in to games without a recognised free take. Daren and the Gooch were his free taker, so Brian is not there because of his free taking alone. He still is prob the best free taker we have, and we're lucky to have him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Keane, IMO Sheehan is superior to O'Cinnéide who had a lot of off days in very big games (along with some great performances of course). Neither of them as consistently accurate from long range as the great Maurice, and as we saw Sat night, Sheehan still has days where the radar is off, so he needs to keep working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

TBQH it looks like Sheehan has improved his general play as a midfielder rather than his kicking and for now I'm happy for that.

He's a fine striker of the ball, we all have off days but once he's giving more from open play I'm happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

they gave MOM to darran sullivan? he was kerrys 5th or 6th player, at best...
    Personally, I would have given MOTM to Galvin, I thought he ran the show and was given far too much room around the middle third off the pitch (had we broken even in that department, we may have snuck a win but it's a real cause for concern for us now).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭youtheman

Re. my previous post on Sheehan's wayward kicking. If Padraig Harrington won a match but still missed half the fairways with his driver then he'd get with his coach and, at least, try sort it out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And dead ball kicking is just down to technique, and a element of the mental pressure. I just can't understand people whose attitude is that we should gloss it over and just look at the other elements of his game.

Two year's ago I would have considered him a newer version of Jimmy Keaveney, on the pitch for his dead ball kicking. Then last year he improved his other game, catching and kicking from open play. But his dead ball kicking has suffered. And I think a good coach would work wonders for him, and make him the complete footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

brian sheehan is the best off the floor kicker in ireland right now. to say he needs to get coaching on it, is absolutely baffling, cos he missed a few, all of them difficult, in one game.

i cant even believe we are having this conversation. sheehan is our most improved player over the past year (maher a close second)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

brian sheehan is the best off the floor kicker in ireland right now. to say he needs to get coaching on it, is absolutely baffling, cos he missed a few, all of them difficult, in one game.
    That said, I thought it was out of charcter for him to miss so many, I kept saying to the lads that surely he'll put this one over.

That said, he's been a revelation at midfield in the past 12-15 months IMO

What I think is nuts is that it's the first league match - he's got plenty of time to correct it. No need for alarm bells to be firing off just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im not sure who would be coaching him exactly? As far as I know it was maurice who thought him to kick from the ground(correct me if im wrong)

I was in the stand this day and it was unreal to see in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5WaNh0a3UI

most players couldnt kick that far from their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I saw a young Tommy Walsh pop a few over from about the 65 for the Kerry minors in either Croker or Cusack Park... Can't remember which. Probably Cusack seeing as the pitch is a bit smaller.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Im not sure who would be coaching him exactly? As far as I know it was maurice who thought him to kick from the ground(correct me if im wrong)

I was in the stand this day and it was unreal to see in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5WaNh0a3UI

most players couldnt kick that far from their hands

Absolutely brilliant. Don't know why people are moaning about him.

• Advertisement

anyone whos played in fitzgerald stadium will tell you its a bloody long pitch. Love the commentary in that particular clip

Weeshie's yer only man for football. Thoroughly enjoyable to listen to, and I say that as a Clareman.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I saw a young Tommy Walsh pop a few over from about the 65 for the Kerry minors in either Croker or Cusack Park... Can't remember which. Probably Cusack seeing as the pitch is a bit smaller.

I have to say I don't think Tommy took frees for any minor/U-21 team that I recall so I think you're mistaken there.

On Sheehan, wouldn't have any worries about him..he'll be a s frustrated as anyone with the missed frees the last night and will work on them even harder I'm sure. His performance from play on Saturday was actually brilliant. Pretty much controlled the midfield sector..then again both Dublin's midfielders were pretty rubbish and they had to resort to bringing on Seán Murray (a fullback) when Fennell got the road.

I have to say I don't think Tommy took frees for any minor/U-21 team that I recall so I think you're mistaken there.

On Sheehan, wouldn't have any worries about him..he'll be a s frustrated as anyone with the missed frees the last night and will work on them even harder I'm sure. His performance from play on Saturday was actually brilliant. Pretty much controlled the midfield sector..then again both Dublin's midfielders were pretty rubbish and they had to resort to bringing on Seán Murray (a fullback) when Fennell got the road.

I meant from play. When I read from the hand I automatically thought of open play :o

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I meant from play. When I read from the hand I automatically thought of open play :o

I thought we were talking about frees here? In any case, you're prob referring to some of the scores Tommy scored for the minors in 2006...kicked one from around 50m in the replay in Cusack park. Never taken frees in a Kerry jersey though.

Never taken frees in any jersey. He's not a particularly good kicker.

That Kerry minor team in '06 had Paddy Curran taking frees close in with Dave Moran taking the 45s and potentially long distance frees from the ground iirc

Yeah Dave's a pretty solid long range free taker. Boysie would have taken the close in ones on Tommy's underage team.

Boysie???

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Boysie???

Sorry, underage club team. Boysie is Mark O'Sullivan from Kerins O'Rahillys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement