Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Kerry hawk wrote: »
    I'm going out with a girl from Currow, and she drags me to all their games, and there is a lad that usually plays corner back by the name of dan o'sullivan. I think he is def worth a closer look, have any off yee ever came across him.He is the best man marker I have ever seen play the game. Currow i think play in Div 3 but they got to the o donoghue cup semi final, beating Spa in the first round and had a titanic battle against rathmore, which consisted of extra time and replays. So I got the chance to see this dan o'sullivan lad play against the bigger boys, and let me tell you he was supreme.He was like **** to a blanket, pardon my french. I was disapointed when they lost to rathmore because I would loved to have seen him mark gooch in the final

^^^^^
    Hi Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

Prop Joe wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    Hi Dan
    Ha ha ha . In fairness a great player but unfortunately for the guy he will prob not get noticed down in Division 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Kerry hawk wrote: »
    Ha ha ha . In fairness a great player but unfortunately for the guy he will prob not get noticed down in Division 3.
    If he's good enough he should - Sean O'Sullivan, D.Walsh playing for Cromane are in Division 4 or 5 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

tom sullivan to decide this week if he plays on...id think he will stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I got that impression reading his quotes as well - seemed like he was saying if the management think he's worth keeping around he'll play on.

• Advertisement

Great servant to the team and county but I'd like to see Enright coming through and given a shot, we need to start developing our backs coming through for when they likes of Marc, Tomás, Tom start considering retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yeah, need to start introducing one or two more especially in the backs

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

Kieran Donaghy Captains Kerry for Allianz League opener

PostDateIcon.pngWednesday, 01 February 2012 20:36 |
    The Kerry Senior Football team to play Dublin in the first round of the Allianz Football League 2012 has been announced.
    The game takes place at 7.15pm in Croke Park on Saturday 4th February.
    1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)2. Shane Enright(Tarbert) 3. Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 4. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    5. Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 6. Killian Young (Renard) 7. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmett's)

8. Seamus Scanlon (Currow) 9. Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's)
    10. Paul Galvin 11. Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 12. Seán O'Sullivan (Cromane)
    13. James O'Donoghue (Legion) 14. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) (Captain)
    15. Barry John Keane (Kerins O'Rahillys)
    The Substitutes are:
    16. Tomás Mac a t'Saoir (An Ghaeltacht)
    17. Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) 18. Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks)
    19. Patrick Curtin 22 (Moyvane) 20. Anthony Maher (Duagh)
    21. JP Spillane (Castlegregory) 22. Jonathan Lyne (Legion)
    23. Brian Moran (Kerins O'Rahilly's 24. David O'Callaghan (St Pat's Blennerville ) 25. David Geaney (Daingean Uí Chúis)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

margio wrote: »
    Kieran Donaghy Captains Kerry for Allianz League opener

PostDateIcon.pngWednesday, 01 February 2012 20:36 |
    The Kerry Senior Football team to play Dublin in the first round of the Allianz Football League 2012 has been announced.
    The game takes place at 7.15pm in Croke Park on Saturday 4th February.
    1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)2. Shane Enright(Tarbert) 3. Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 4. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    5. Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 6. Killian Young (Renard) 7. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmett's)

8. Seamus Scanlon (Currow) 9. Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's)
    10. Paul Galvin 11. Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 12. Seán O'Sullivan (Cromane)
    13. James O'Donoghue (Legion) 14. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) (Captain)
    15. Barry John Keane (Kerins O'Rahillys)
    The Substitutes are:
    16. Tomás Mac a t'Saoir (An Ghaeltacht)
    17. Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) 18. Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks)
    19. Patrick Curtin 22 (Moyvane) 20. Anthony Maher (Duagh)
    21. JP Spillane (Castlegregory) 22. Jonathan Lyne (Legion)
    23. Brian Moran (Kerins O'Rahilly's 24. David O'Callaghan (St Pat's Blennerville ) 25. David Geaney (Daingean Uí Chúis)

He is back??? Since when?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

mystic86 wrote: »
    He is back??? Since when?!

Announced back in November or that way. Not something I was too happy to hear given his performance in Co. final, but we'll see I guess.

Happy enough with the team. 2 relative novices in the backs but Crowley has done well with UCC lately and Maguire played a couple of league games last year, so pretty optimistic they will be fine. Would be hoping BJ Keane and O'Donoghue could really lay down a marker for the year..not sure 13 is James' best position though..more of a natural half forward I would've thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Seán O' Sullivan's a player I always liked watching. When he was there or thereabouts on the team a few seasons back he'd a lovely style. It'll be good to have another player like himself on the panel. Another option to have if injuries crop up.

Suprised to see Pa Curtin in with the squad.

Was supposed to have great promise as a minor which, imo, was never really fulfilled and I haven't heard much about him since.

Anybody know how he's been going with Moyvane?

Very happy with that full back line for Kerry btw - Enright & Crowley are two strong, fast, young backs - looking forward to seeing how they get on.

He's supposed to have been doing very well in training and challenge games anyway.

What's the Maguire guy like?

keane2097 wrote: »
    He's supposed to have been doing very well in training and challenge games anyway.

What's the Maguire guy like?
    No idea - haven't seen him playing before tbh

Had heard from a few guys when I was younger that Curtin was very talented - only saw him play once or twice but never really saw what all the hype was about tbh

Could be a case that he's gotten stronger, filled out etc. and is now playing better football, could be interesting.

He's had knee injuries that have sidelined him for the last two years supposedly.

PaulieC wrote: »
    No idea - haven't seen him playing before tbh

Had heard from a few guys when I was younger that Curtin was very talented - only saw him play once or twice but never really saw what all the hype was about tbh

Could be a case that he's gotten stronger, filled out etc. and is now playing better football, could be interesting.

Jeez, do ye go to any games at all lads?!!

Maguire is a very good prospect in my view. Did well for the u-21's in 2010, did fine last year in the couple of runouts he got in the league in Armagh and at home to Galway. Left footed, good on the ball, comfortable at corner or wing back aswell. Was excellent at corner back for CIT in Sigerson a couple of years ago.
    Curtin is a lad, who has had to come back from a cruciate injury already and is in great shape again, which is a credit to him. He was in flying form towards the end of last season and by all accounts in flying in training with Kerry right now. Has plenty pace and is well able to take a score with both feet aswell. Be interesting to see how he does if he gets a run.
    Good opportunity for a few lads to stake a claim here. Looking forward to it.

He's had knee injuries that have sidelined him for the last two years supposedly.
    Jésus glad to see he's come back to play at such a high level if that's the case - two years away with knee problems could ruin alot of footballers.

He's supposed to be a tough nut though.

Jeez, do ye go to any games at all lads?!!

Not as many what with living, working, studying in Cork.

Wasn't even aware Curtin had knee issues.

I do know Crowley from playing against him - very, fast, looks to have gotten far stronger also, looking forward to seeing how he gets on at county level.

Not as many what with living, working, studying in Cork.

Wasn't even aware Curtin had knee issues.

I do know Crowley from playing against him - very, fast, looks to have gotten far stronger also, looking forward to seeing how he gets on at county level.

In the same boat myself man.

Curtin was a Kerry minor for 2 years and when he was 19 I think did his knee. Shows good commitment to come back from that to where he is now alone. He is hardy out alright, in typical North Kerry fashion.

Crowley is improving all the time alright.

That's the thing - from what I remember there was huge hype around him but he never really delivered (*edit as a minor) - when I saw him anyway.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly - did he have any very good games as a minor?

• Advertisement

That's the thing - from what I remember there was huge hype around him but he never really delivered - when I saw him anyway.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly - did he have any very good games as a minor?

Was decent enough in 1st year minor in 2006, scored 2-1 in Tralee v Limk, did well in Munster final. Missed a great goal chance in drawn final v Rossies..should've buried it.
    2nd year in 2007, was outstanding in first 3 games, scoring 2-2 twice and 0-4 from full forward. Wasn't having greatest game in Munster final when he went off injured if I recall and he missed the rest of that year..I was away at the time, but i'm pretty sure that was the start of his knee trouble.

Was decent enough in 1st year minor in 2006, scored 2-1 in Tralee v Limk, did well in Munster final. Missed a great goal chance in drawn final v Rossies..should've buried it.
    2nd year in 2007, was outstanding in first 3 games, scoring 2-2 twice and 0-4 from full forward. Wasn't having greatest game in Munster final when he went off injured if I recall and he missed the rest of that year..I was away at the time, but i'm pretty sure that was the start of his knee trouble.
    My mind is going to mush because for the life of me I can't remember him scoring that much and I was at the Limerick game iirc!! :eek:

I stand corrected in this case - that's quality scoring, don't mind me I'm clearly starting to lose my fúckin marbles! That said it's not like I have an agenda against the guy - I hope he does well, especially after coming back from injury like he has. That takes commitment and strength, hopefully he'll continue to go from strength to strength.

You never had any marbles.

You never had any marbles.
    That's what I get for having a Rockie for a mother I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

goos win last night and very nice way to start the year.

impressed by all the new lads, they all did well especially the backs.

i have to laugh at the critism of sheehan by a few lads, he was superb last night, kicked one of the best points ive seen off the outside of his boot, lorded midfield and scored 8 points, he was excellent, yet people moan about 4 or 5 missed frees, all of which were from 50-60 yards out.

job done, but no big deal, great to beat dublin, will enjoy it for a few days and then on to armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kealy - Was solid, Clever Kickouts, Made himself big when needed.

Enright - Brilliant. A real good Corner Back in the Making.
    Marc - Kept a far bigger man in O'Gara quiet. Solid
    Crowley - Super for his first (?) championship start. Looked a little nervy at the beginning, but saved a goal with a great half block.

Tomás- Looked 21 again. Won breaks, tore up the field. Kept anyone he marked quiet.
    Killian - Could have the makings of a championship quality CB. Looks to have gotton stronger. His reading of the game from CB was Moynihan like, always in the right place.
    Maguire - Did his job efficiantly. Started a few runs forward, and looked solid in defence.

Scanlon- Started well, but faded towards the end of the half. A little unlucky to go off, though Maher changed the game when he came on.
    Sheahan - Didn't have his Free-Kicking boots on today... and still came out with 8 points. Great all round performance, and looks like a Midfielder now, rather then a forward playing midfield.

Galvin - Rusty with the boot, but supreme on the breaks. Only 1 foul against him all game. Disciplined.
    Darran - Fizzed around to little effect for the most part. Took his chance brilliantly. Huge asset at CF.
    Seán - Experiment over hopefully. I know its his first championship game in 2 years, but Brosan and Mike McCarthy both looked good on their first games back. Seán looked like your average Div 4 player unfortunatly. Lets hope D.Walsh comes back soon.

J.O'D - Has the makings of a top class intercounty forward. Took a great score with his first shot of the game. Ran between the FF and HF line effectivly. Has great pace.
    Star- Head wasn't in the game. Playing to the Hill, like a Panto Villain. Captain should take charge of the game. He was poor. Having said that, he was double marked all day, which left space for the likes of Sheahan and BJK to kick points from play.
    BJK - MOM for me. Quiet first 15 but burst into life after that. Won balls, high, low and in space. Didn't react to Philly McMahon, when he belted him in the back of the head off the ball. Won some nice free's by running direct. Himself and JO'D will push each other all the way for a Corner Forward spot.

Maher- Changed the game. Was supreme, and dominated MDMA, McConnall and Fennell in the air. Has developed a steel, and a toughness.

Jack- Should have taken Seán O'S off earlier (half time) and maybe Star as well, but that would have killed his confidence (maybe not a bad thing to tone him down). Great call with Maher.

All in all about a 7.5-10 performance. Backs were brilliant, fowards kicked a lot of wides, but thats to be expected in Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭youtheman

I ain't no football coach but we need to do the following ASAP:

1. get a kicking coach for Sheehan. Hed had a very good game but you can't ignore his wayward kicking.
    2. teach Star how to catch a ball with both hands over his head. How many times did he get both hands on the ball only to drop it.
    3. Sean O' S got plenty of ball but his confidence drained as his wides mounted. Need attention.

Overall not a bad night's work. Was delighted to see Barry Keane get his confidence back. His cameo in the all ireland final was a bit of a disaster, a game like last night will do him the world of good. All in all, the future is not as bad as we thought late last September.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Seán - Experiment over hopefully. I know its his first championship game in 2 years, but Brosan and Mike McCarthy both looked good on their first games back. Seán looked like your average Div 4 player unfortunatly. Lets hope D.Walsh comes back soon.

Have to say this is a bit harsh. Ruling him out after his first game back at the top level in two years?

youtheman wrote: »

1. get a kicking coach for Sheehan. Hed had a very good game but you can't ignore his wayward kicking.

Err, no ye don't. Sheehan's one of the finest free-takers in the country. One bad day out (when he still kicked eight) does not a kicking coach warrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

youtheman wrote: »

2. teach Star how to catch a ball with both hands over his head. How many times did he get both hands on the ball only to drop it.
    3. Sean O' S got plenty of ball but his confidence drained as his wides mounted. Need attention.

Overall not a bad night's work. Was delighted to see Barry Keane get his confidence back. His cameo in the all ireland final was a bit of a disaster, a game like last night will do him the world of good. All in all, the future is not as bad as we thought late last September.
    Look at the 15 minutes or so BJK was on for the final. He wasn't a disaster.

Just because of that last free, people forget the rest of his play. He won a lot of ball, gave good passes. He had 2 turnovers because McQuillan did him out of 2 frees in scoring position, and a marginal wide from a near impossible angle.

He did struggle against Tipp in the first game though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement