Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah Dave's a pretty solid long range free taker. Boysie would have taken the close in ones on Tommy's underage team.
    Player for Strand Road - good forward underage from what I remember - we never got to play Strand Rd. that year at minor level unfortunately so the last time I would have played against any of those fellas would have been my first year u-16

Also - Moran is a very good 45 taker on his day alright Keano

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They would have given ye some pasting.

We were 2nd in the league Keane - have a bit of respect boy :pac:

PaulieC wrote: »
    We were 2nd in the league Keane - have a bit of respect boy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wonga77 wrote: »
    Im not sure who would be coaching him exactly? As far as I know it was maurice who thought him to kick from the ground(correct me if im wrong)

I was in the stand this day and it was unreal to see in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5WaNh0a3UI

most players couldnt kick that far from their hands

sensational stuff.....his point against armagh in 06, was one of the best points ive ever seen and it was at a time we were struggling.

he must have been 70 yards out that day also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

There was another point, im sure its on a dvd somewhere, again against the Crokes but it was almost the last kick with the score tied, back in 04 or 05 maybe, a monster kick altogether and he was a lot younger and inexperienced that time, it was the final too

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Bryan Sheehan is probably the best kicker of a dead ball in the country over the last few years.

The 05 final I think - it was 65 yards out, wasn't there but apparently it was for the winning of the match iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

sensational stuff.....his point against armagh in 06, was one of the best points ive ever seen and it was at a time we were struggling.

You mean the free v Dublin in the 2007 semi perhaps? Brian didn't start the Our-Ma game in '06 and kicked only a couple of handy frees when he came on, from recollection.

Some of ye mentioned the score in the last minute of a county final. It was the 2006 final I'm pretty sure. That free was damn near 65m out and no aiding breeze either. Unreal kick. I wonder what his maximum range is?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Jesus Christ...what a score. I take frees from the ground myself and its just and increbile combination of strengthand technique sheehan has. Awesome watching that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Disgraceful.

Lack of effort, rubbish game, red card for Tomás and a referee that Kerry should ban from ever refereeing in the county ever again.

Condon is a disgrace to football, rode Kerry for the match.
    The Declan O'Sullivan yellow card, was unbelievable.
    Donaghy was pulled and dragged for the whole game, then the first time he pulls the Armagh defender to get himself a bit of space, he gets a yellow.
    I didn't see Tomás' Red card properly, but from where I was, McKeever (who made a swan dive earlier in the match) made a dispicable effort to get Tomás sent off. I'll make a better judgement after seeing a replay.
    He gave phantom freekicks to Armagh all day, and left Armagh pull Kerry down left right and center.
    Also, despite the game being over as a contest, he still only gave 2 minutes Injury time, despite the fact that Armagh lay down for half the game.

However the one incident that infuriated me the most was, Donaghy, who just lost the ball proceded to turn his back and mouth off at someone or other, while Galvin won the ball and played it in his direction. But Donaghy was too busy bitching to see the ball coming his direction.

That is criminal behaviour in an Intercounty Football match. Donaghy has shown nothing this year that warrents him keeping that number 14 jersey. Likewise Seán O'Sullivan was rubbish tonight, and was lucky to last as long as he did.

On Maurice Condon, he is the same referee that did Kerins O'Rahillys out of a Munster Final vs Kilmurray Ibrickan a few years ago, and also the Referee who gave Cork a number of soft free's in their 1 point victory in Tralee last year.
    He clearly has something against Kerry.

The Gaa have their "Give Respect, Get Respect" slogan, but its about time the referee's respected the players with some unbiased, neutral refereeing.

Armagh were by far the better side tonight, and deserved their victory. Mackan was superb, as was Dyas at Wing back. They won the battle at midfield at crucial times, and ultimatly got the goals to win the game. They were professional in their outlook, with some very cynical fouling, and killing momentum with some "injuries".

Armagh fans were very sporting and vocal, and are welcome in Kerry anytime. They were very knowledgable, and supported their team well.

Well Done to Armagh, fully deserved the victory, but the Referee ruined the game.

Disgraceful.

Lack of effort, rubbish game, red card for Tomás and a referee that Kerry should ban from ever refereeing in the county ever again.

Donaghy was pulled and dragged for the whole game, then the first time he pulls the Armagh defender to get himself a bit of space, he gets a yellow.
    He gave phantom freekicks to Armagh all day, and left Armagh pull Kerry down left right and center.
    Also, despite the game being over as a contest, he still only gave 2 minutes Injury time, despite the fact that Armagh lay down for half the game.

However the one incident that infuriated me the most was, Donaghy, who just lost the ball proceded to turn his back and mouth off at someone or other, while Galvin won the ball and played it in his direction. But Donaghy was too busy bitching to see the ball coming his direction.

That is criminal behaviour in an Intercounty Football match. Donaghy has shown nothing this year that warrents him keeping that number 14 jersey. Likewise Seán O'Sullivan was rubbish tonight, and was lucky to last as long as he did.

Armagh were by far the better side tonight, and deserved their victory. Mackan was superb, as was Dyas at Wing back. They won the battle at midfield at crucial times, and ultimatly got the goals to win the game. They were professional in their outlook, with some very cynical fouling, and killing momentum with some "injuries".

Armagh fans were very sporting and vocal, and are welcome in Kerry anytime. They were very knowledgable, and supported their team well.

Well Done to Armagh, fully deserved the victory, but the Referee ruined the game.

EDIT: Edited misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

A result like this could be the kick up the behind we need. Hopefully Jack would have learned more from losing a game like this than winning easily. Couple of the senior players like Tomas & Donaghy & Young need to look at themselves after tonights performance - they have and can produce better. Armagh showed a hunger and intensity from the start was lacking from kerry - at least Jack had the good grace to admit as such at the end. Now is the time to close out the Sean Ban experiment. Brutal game that we didn't deserve anything from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Disgraceful.

I didn't see Tomás' Red card properly, but from where I was, McKeever (who made a swan dive earlier in the match) made a dispicable effort to get Tomás sent off. I'll make a better judgement after seeing a replay.

On Maurice Condon, he is the same referee that did Kerins O'Rahillys out of a Munster Final vs Kilmurray Ibrickan a few years ago, and also the Referee who gave Cork a number of soft free's in their 1 point victory in Tralee last year.

The Gaa have their "Give Respect, Get Respect" slogan, but its about time the referee's respected the players with some unbiased, neutral refereeing.

Oh Christ here we go again blaiming the referee after Kerry loosing a match, its getting old now. Kerry were beaten by the better team. Too much was blown up out of proportion by Kerry fans on their victory against a very poor Dublin side last week.Far too early in the year to be judging performances. Armagh are a force so far in this league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Disgraceful.

your dead right, kerry were a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I'm absolutely elated by that result and indeed that performance. The crowd in the Armagh Harps Club were thrilled too!!

I thought Kerry were going to pull us in as the Kingdom owned midfield for a fifteen minute period in the second half. However we came back off the ropes and got three great points in a row to keep clear to the end. Great character shown by our lads.

Best for us (from my vantage point at the bar) were Brendan Donaghy at full back, Ciaran McKeever at centre half, Mal Mackin in the middle and Anto Duffy up front. However this should not disguise a great team effort.

The reality is that Kerry have better players than we do, and represent somewhere where we want to get. Given that we won - and deservedly so in my opinion - you have to look at things like attitude as the deciding factor. As teednab-el and manster stated, it was our hunger and intensity that won that match, and despite our lack of quality, I believe that with Paul Grimley on board we will have a great spirit that will make us greater than the sum of our parts.

DDC you ended your post with some very generous words, but yet an awful lot of what preceded that flew in the face of those words.

Jesus, I didn't and don't blame the referee for losing.

Armagh were the better side and deservadly won.

Find one point in my post where I blamed the referee for Kerrys loss.

FFS, Condon was an absolute disgrace, but that in no way takes away from Armaghs win.

I said that Kerry were a disgrace. We went out with a sh1t attitude, and lost the game because of it, but some people here are great at selective reading of posts and are very quick to jump on another posters back.

@JCL What flew in the face of it exactly? I would hope that you would share the views of the Armagh supporters around me at the game, and admit Condon did ye a lot of favours. Having said that, Kerry were outplayed all over the field for the majority of the game. Ye kept Galvin quiet for the first half, and once ye had the lead, did exceptionally well to hold onto it. And to do it all without the Cross lads, away to Kerry! Serious respect gained, for lads like Dyas and Macken especially. Brendan Donaghy was brilliant as well i'd add, however he got away with a lot of holding on Kieran Donaghy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

This is where you blaim referee.

teednab-el wrote: »
    This is where you blaim referee.
    *Blame

And no!

I've picked 2 other occasions where he's been a poor referee involving Kerry sides, and stated that he must have something against Kerry.

I didn't say, Kerry lost to Armagh today because the referee did us!

Wise up!

@JCL What flew in the face of it exactly?
    • Condon is a disgrace to football, rode Kerry for the match.
    • The Declan O'Sullivan yellow card, was unbelievable.
    • Donaghy was pulled and dragged for the whole game, then the first time he pulls the Armagh defender to get himself a bit of space, he gets a yellow.
    • I didn't see Tomás' Red card properly, but from where I was, McKeever (who made a swan dive earlier in the match) made a dispicable effort to get Tomás sent off.
    • He gave phantom freekicks to Armagh all day.
    • Condon.....left Armagh pull Kerry down left right and center.
    • he still only gave 2 minutes Injury time, despite the fact that Armagh lay down for half the game.
    • He (the referee) clearly has something against Kerry.
    • Armagh.....were professional in their outlook, with some very cynical fouling, and killing momentum with some "injuries".

• Advertisement

• Condon is a disgrace to football, rode Kerry for the match.
    • The Declan O'Sullivan yellow card, was unbelievable.
    • Donaghy was pulled and dragged for the whole game, then the first time he pulls the Armagh defender to get himself a bit of space, he gets a yellow.
    • I didn't see Tomás' Red card properly, but from where I was, McKeever (who made a swan dive earlier in the match) made a dispicable effort to get Tomás sent off.
    • He gave phantom freekicks to Armagh all day.
    • Condon.....left Armagh pull Kerry down left right and center.
    • he still only gave 2 minutes Injury time, despite the fact that Armagh lay down for half the game.
    • He (the referee) clearly has something against Kerry.
    • Armagh.....were professional in their outlook, with some very cynical fouling, and killing momentum with some "injuries".
    I wont get into the bits about the ref, I've flogged that dead horse.

I mean't the cynical fouling and injuries part as a compliment on how they held onto the lead, appologies if you took offence. Any time Kerry built up momentum, Armagh slowed the game down. They ankle tapped a Kerry player through on goal twice, saving 2 potential goals. They slowed down every Kerry free in the last 15 minutes. They did what Kerry should have done vs Dublin in the AIF. The best example was when kerry were on a roll, with 4 maybe 5 points in a row in the second half. Finian Moriarity went down, for 3 minutes, got attention. When he got up, Armagh went on a 3 points to 0 points run, and effectivly killed the game off.

Still havn't seen the Red card, but apparently, it was a knee in the boll*x. Nasty and deserved Red Card.

The Declan O'Sullivan yellow card??? Im sorry, but I will not back down on that. Happened right in front of me. McKeever made a cynical block, O'Sullivan tried to get bast and McKeever put two hands around Declans kneck and dragged him down. If thats a yellow card, then I don't know what game i've been watching the last 20 years.

Likewise the Donaghy Yellow. He had a sh1t attitude all match, but his booking was unbelievable. He was being held all game, yet he pulls B.Donaghys jersey once, and gets a yellow card?

2 Examples of Phantom free kicks off the top of my head, the one in the first half when Malachy Macken was on the ground, after colliding with Sheahan. Maguire made a great tackle, one hand slapped the ball away, other hand nowhere near the Armagh players body, but he gave a free to Armagh, which subsequently lead to a hopball.
    2nd one was one on Galvin in the second half towards the end of the game, which lead to Galvin having a go at the ref straight after. It again happened straight in front of me, and I still don't have a clue what it could be for.

How that flys in the face of my opinion of the Armagh performance tonight and the attitude of the travelling Armagh support I don't know. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tomkelly99

Disgraceful.

Condon did not referee Cork v Kerry last year. Tomas O'Se's red card is a stone cold red in any circumstances.

You are correct, he refereed the Tipperary Championship game.

Appologies for the misinformation. Doesn't change how I feel about his performance last night.

Also edited the part about Tomás in my post, as I said earlier I have heard it was a clear Red Card.

You can still lament a dreadful refereeing performance while acknowledging you were soundly and deservedly beaten. If that guy is the same guy that reffed Strand Road's game against Kilmurray then yeah I'd have to agree he looks an all round joke although admittedly based on a small sample.

That takes nothing away from the fact that Armagh were a lot better than Kerry on the night. They kicked serious quality scores when the pressure was really on as well so let's not do them a disservice and say it was all about attitude over quality - they had the quality to go with it - very impressive.

On a side note, I always enjoy how every time Tomas O'Se is sent off for being a nasty fcuker he's hardly turned to walk off the field before the commentator is at pains to tell us how out of character he is. It's pretty funny. Unbelievable player but from watching him for club and county over the years he has a nasty streak a mile wide on the pitch. If anything he gets away with more than most.

In fairness, the fact that people are so quick to defend him means he's probably well liked off the field so that's something.

Tomas, what a clown, you just cant expect to do something like that and get away with it, he'll be lucky if he gets away with a month. Armagh were much better, really got the second goal at a vital time and they always had a cushion. Kerry needed a goal but it never looked likely.
    A few things, sean ban is finished, Donaghy needs a spell on the sideline which might wake him up a little. Galvin needs to be played a little closer to goal, he hasnt really got into scoring positions. Where would we be without sheehans frees?

Yeah I'd love to see Curtin get a shot at FF for a few games. We need to find a new way to get a return from Donaghy, every team in the country is comfortable dealing with our current tactics surrounding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I picked this point out of your post as I think it is the only thing worth discussing.Donaghy is a mouth piece and should be sanctioned for his constant mouthing and interfering with referees in particular.Donaghy hasn't really been himself since 2007/2008 when you think about it and it may do Kerry no harm to drop him.

The likes of Rory O Carroll and Ger Cafferkey have mostly put him in their back pocket in last years championship.The old trick of launching high ball into Donaghy was always going to lose its effectiveness after a while.

I wouldnt mind but its not even good high ball. There is some desperate passes into him but he looks to have lost it anyway, cant time a jump properly at all anymore. Agreed re curtin, should get more game time

You can still lament a dreadful refereeing performance while acknowledging you were soundly and deservedly beaten.

But lament in such a one eyed fashion?

Look, I don't want to be appearing to go down the road of going into every detail here on what DDC said. Despite all Kerry's success, you are all football people with your own loyalties just like us up here and it might or might not surprise you to know that many up in Armagh were howling derision at some of the referee's decisions. That's the nature of being a football fan!!

Kerry people here have been very generous to Armagh in their views of the match last night and that's appreciated. I would still have youse well ahead of us come the Summer too, so for all the praise, what we did last night has to be kept in context! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Going into Kerry and coming away with a victory is a great effort from our lads. Didn't see the game but reading your guys thoughts on it we seem to have played well. Still not convinced with this Armagh side tho, big summer and big game against Tyrone first up in the Championship. I wouldn't worry too much if I were a Kerry fan, you'll be there or there abouts come September time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement