Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

maby next time you could post in capitals and your posts of interests will get noticed more

Maybe next time you can spell maybe correctly and remember to include full stops.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Sheehan seems to be appreciated in every county, except for his own.

the lad is an absolute pleasure to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I'm sure he's very much appreciated by anybody in Kerry who knows the game. He's improved out of all order these past 2 years. His pace and conditioning have improved and his striking is as good as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I'm sure he's very much appreciated by anybody in Kerry who knows the game. He's improved out of all order these past 2 years. His pace and conditioning have improved and his striking is as good as ever.

A very underrated player Sheehan is, I always believe he is vital for Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think the reason Sheehan was somewhat underrated in his own county was down to the fact that he's always been talented, he just never seemed to have the work ethic - always seemed slightly out of shape and didn't seem to be a player you'd look to when the chips were down.

Over the past two years he's changed completely imo - I think the real motivator was him being captain in 2010, he upped it big time from then on and has since been a revelation at midfield. His conditioning (as has been previously mentioned), attitude and work rate have spiked dramatically and it's led to him realizing his potential imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He was never underrated - unless he is in the last twelve months - he's just not a particularly effective corner forward.

keane2097 wrote: »
    He was never underrated - unless he is in the last twelve months - he's just not a particularly effective corner forward.

I think people expected more from him playing in the corner alright as he was a good talent coming through - he's strong, accurate and not the slowest.

The thing for me has been his change in work rate - obv due to the fact that he's in a position that now demands phenomenal work rate, but he also has nowhere to hide - putting him into a central position has allowed him / forced him to influence games more for us and I'm delighted to see him turning into a very, very good midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭wonga77

Will Tomaís ever learn? What kind of suspension is he looking at now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Very confused after the game when I heard on the radio about tomas getting sent off... Was at the game on terrace side and never noticed it happening at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

mystic86 wrote: »
    Very confused after the game when I heard on the radio about tomas getting sent off... Was at the game on terrace side and never noticed it happening at all!
    That's because it was an accidental strike where his hand was up to punch the ball in the air and collided with the Laois man on the way down, he got a straight red however and there was no drama between either players as there was no malice intended just a case of a players reputation and a stupid referee.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    That's because it was an accidental strike where his hand was up to punch the ball in the air and collided with the Laois man on the way down, he got a straight red however and there was no drama between either players as there was no malice intended just a case of a players reputation and a stupid referee.
    Haven't seen it but if there's no malice involved as you say then it's unfortunate for him after returning and even worse that RTE.ie are reporting that he 'lashed out'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I had a feeling you'd think it was the refs fault.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

wonga77 wrote: »
    Will Tomaís ever learn? What kind of suspension is he looking at now?

According to the indo he is likely to miss the remaining league games, semi final/possible final. Worse case scenario he misses 1st round of Munster, which would be no major worry, Tipp are up first for Kerry there. Missing the rest of the league could be good for Tomas, save the legs for mid summer when they will be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kkibos

Was at the game as well yesterday right in front of the incident. He deserved to be sent off as he threw a punch and connected (midriff) with the Laois player. Ref had the red card out within seconds. Might be lucky regarding ban as the Laois player didn't make a meal of it.

Was at the game as well yesterday right in front of the incident. He deserved to be sent off as he threw a punch and connected (midriff) with the Laois player. Ref had the red card out within seconds. Might be lucky regarding ban as the Laois player didn't make a meal of it.

Hmmm.... Conflicting accounts of same incident, nothing new there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Wasn't at the match, busy in BÁC at the moment.

Parents were at the match Stand side, and my Dad thought it was a Red Card and my mother felt he was hard done by!

Conflicting reports from people 2 seats away from each other.

Havn't seen it so can't comment for definite, but it sounds like he was late in with the fist with a typical early game challenge. Laying down a marker against a notorious mouth, Billy Sheehan. Just a case of letting him know he was back in Kerry. Sometimes you get away with it other times Ref give you the line. In a nothing match against Laois, it was pointless.

Stupid, and building a bad rep for himself late in his career.

Still a chance to rest up for Championship, but TBH his place has already gone to Crowley IMO. A younger version of the man himself.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Parents were at the match Stand side, and my Dad thought it was a Red Card and my mother felt he was hard done by!

Havn't seen it so can't comment for definite, but it sounds like he was late in with the fist with a typical early game challenge. Laying down a marker against a notorious mouth, Billy Sheehan. Just a case of letting him know he was back in Kerry. Sometimes you get away with it other times Ref give you the line. In a nothing match against Laois, it was pointless.

Still a chance to rest up for Championship, but TBH his place has already gone to Crowley IMO. A younger version of the man himself.
    Very impressed with Crowley so far - great bit of stuff

Knowing Tomás, I'd bet he's guilty guilty guilty. Standard stuff at this stage.

Knowing Tomás, I'd bet he's guilty guilty guilty. Standard stuff at this stage.
    When did you move up North?? :pac:

DDC1990 wrote: »

Although Crowley has done exceptionally well so far, he still is unproven in the championship. It needn't be said that they are necessarily linked,(Declan Quill anyone?) If Tomas can keep himself fit, I would nearly put the house on him being there at wing back for the semi-final against Cork in Killarney

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

PaulieC wrote: »
    When did you move up North?? :pac:

I must admit, I had a good chuckle at that!

Difference is, the type of footballer Quill was.

He was a classic League player. No pace, but a quick turn, and good boot on him.
    Great for a mucky league game in the Park.

Terrible on quick ground in Fitzgerald Stadium in July.

Crowley, has shown he can do both.

He's quick, he's a tenacious tackler and more often then not he positions himself well for breaks. People said he was quiet vs Cork and didn't do much.

What did Paddy Kelly do either? He marked him out of the game almost.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Although Crowley has done exceptionally well so far, he still is unproven in the championship. It needn't be said that they are necessarily linked,(Declan Quill anyone?) If Tomas can keep himself fit, I would nearly put the house on him being there at wing back for the semi-final against Cork in Killarney
    Is the semi not on in Cork this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Also on Quill - the key factor was those players who were keeping him out of the team come Championship time - Gooch and Mike Frank.

Of the new blood from what I've seen so far Crowley and James O'Donoghue are the two that I would say are certs to be key parts of the Kerry team over the next couple of years.(barring injuries of course)

Both just look Kerry inter-county standard whenever I've seen them.

I think a key thing is both have game intelligence which I think is essential.

The big plus for me in the League has been the performance of the young guys in the panel.

I'd hope that Jack would opt for the same sort of lineup against Mayo - lots of experimental with experience on the bench.

Things are looking up Youth wise.

Maguire, Crowley, Enright and Johnny Lyne in the Backs.

Maher, Sheahan and Johnny Buckley at Midfield all have a lot of football left in them.

Up front, James O'Donaghue, BJK, Paddy Curtain coming through up front.

And not to Forget Kealy between the sticks, who IMO is the second best Goalkeeper in Ireland atm.

He is miles from the un-commanding, poor distribution Kealy who gave away soft goals 2 years ago.

We have a knack of bringing through 4 or 5 guys every couple of years who solidify the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

was at the game on sunday, incident happened right in front of me. There was nothing accidental about it. punch in the stomach, straight red deserved.

At this stage is it his 3rd red in 10 months?

If it is he doesnt deserve his spot anymore. He has turned into a liability now. it would be something if he was goaded in to it but he wasnt. He just lashed out. Sheehan been a loud mouth is no excuse to punch a fella.

Plenty of young lads who are willing and able to play in that position.

He should come out and apologise for that incident. Stuff like that isnt what Kerry football is about.

Yes before anybody jumps down my throat, he is one of the best defenders we have ever had. Maybe he needs a break to get his head sorted.

yayamark wrote: »
    was at the game on sunday, incident happened right in front of me. There was nothing accidental about it. punch in the stomach, straight red deserved.

At this stage is it his 3rd red in 10 months?

If it is he doesnt deserve his spot anymore. He has turned into a liability now. it would be something if he was goaded in to it but he wasnt. He just lashed out. Sheehan been a loud mouth is no excuse to punch a fella.

Plenty of young lads who are willing and able to play in that position.

He should come out and apologise for that incident. Stuff like that isnt what Kerry football is about.

Yes before anybody jumps down my throat, he is one of the best defenders we have ever had. Maybe he needs a break to get his head sorted.

I agree that his disciplinary record as of late has been poor but throughout his career tomas would not have been known as a " dirty player ." It makes you wonder what has changed recently, people say he has lost the bit of pace and maybe cant keep up with some of today inter county forwards, but I'm not convinced that is the reason, he was flying in last years championship form wise...

He's always been filthy and he's playing some of the best football of his career in the last twelve months.

People hear the same thing in the media about players being finished for year after year and try and reverse rationalise it when it's really just a load of shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

He's always been filthy and he's playing some of the best football of his career in the last twelve months.

People hear the same thing in the media about players being finished for year after year and try and reverse rationalise it when it's really just a load of shit.

You have some serious issued with Tomás, Keane...pourquoi? Did he misbehave down Strand road in a co. c/ship game or something?!

Seriously though..He was reckless in his younger days but from 2001-2010 there was nothing but hard good football by him in my opinion.
    The deterioration in his discipline since 2010 is both annoying and frustrating. I don't know how much you could attribute to issues in his private life, but this isn't the place to get into stuff like that.
    He is potentially as effective as ever and was motoring well last year, but we can't afford the risk of playing 50 mins + with 14 (like last Sunday), because there's no way the likes of Dublin or Tyrone won't exploit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭wonga77

He did walk a thin line at times in them years though. At his age with his experiance he shouldnt be getting wound up by anyone, or at the very least there are better ways to get back at a marker giving you abuse. Cork will have a field day with him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement