Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

am hearing these rumours maybe true...a couple of other high profile lads missing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They are

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Giving lads a run out before the real stuff starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

keane2097 wrote: »
    They are

It's official:

1. Brendan Kealy
    2.Fionn Fitzgerald
    3. Marc O'Sé
    4. Shane Enright
    5. Jonathan Lyne
    6. Peter Crowley
    7. Killian Young
    8. David Moran
    9. Brian Sheehan
    10. Stephen O'Brien
    11. Johnny Buckley
    12. Donncha Walsh
    13. Barry John Keane
    14. Kieran Donaghy
    15. James O'Donoghue

Maher's injury must be worse than thought, but Aidan must be wondering what he has to do to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Fitzmaurice out.

I jest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

16. Brian Kelly, Killarney Legion
    17. Colm Cooper, Dr Crokes
    18. Anthony Maher, Duagh
    19. Paul Geaney, Dingle
    20. Mark Griffin, St Michaels/Foilmore
    21. Michael Geaney, Dingle
    22. Aidan O’Mahony, Rathmore
    23. Darran O’Sullivan, Glenbeigh-Glencar
    24. Tommy Walsh, Kerins O’Rahillys
    25. Jack Sherwood, Firies
    26. Paul Murphy, Rathmore

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

18. Anthony Maher, Duagh
    19. Paul Geaney, Dingle

Best championship sub bench ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Best championship sub bench ever?

Yep. Every one of them would start for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Orizio wrote: »
    Yep. Every one of them would start for Cork.

Tommy Walsh wouldn't start for Cavan at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I felt cooper struggled a bit towards the end of the Tipp game and probably needs to continue regaining his sharpness and fitness. I'm not that surprised he is not starting, he will be some impact sub though. If cork really put it up to Kerry I'd prefer to see him comin on rather than going off after 50 mins.

Mikey Geaney played one of his better games for Kerry against tipp, harsh to drop him also I think. Paul Geaney also on the bench. The competition in the ff line is really tough this year.

• Advertisement

Team picked along training form lines I've heard from a few places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

keane2097 wrote: »
    Team picked along training form lines I've heard from a few places

I can confirm this from my treehouse in Finans. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I love it. Hasn't been this much buzz about a selection in ages.

Harsh or the lads that miss out but all top class replacements.

That half forward lines job will be to disrupt that early blitz of running, and run the bollox off themselves before giving way to the fancy Dan's to pop over the points.

I'll have hours of footballing permutations to get me around the Ring on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

DDC1990 wrote: »
    That half forward lines job will be to disrupt that early blitz of running, and run the bollox off themselves before giving way to the fancy Dan's to pop over the points.

^this made me laugh my a$$ off, excellent piece of prose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Kerry's bench contains:

21 All-Irelands
    17 All stars
    2 Players of the year
    1 Young player of the year
    4 All-Ireland Motm awards

Wow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Orizio wrote: »
    Giving lads a run out before the real stuff starts.

It's not the same when the Cork lads do it, plus, you left out the opening 'yerra' :pac:

It's a solid team - I think Buckley at 11 will be interesting, if anything he's another option from kickouts I'm still not sure about O'Brien but this is a good test for him, will be keeping an eye on his performance.

That bench is so strong it's ridiculous

Surprised that Geaneys been dropped but BJK has been in great form this year so deserves his spot. Great to see James back in the other corner & if things aren't going well we have ample support.

Can't wait for this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Is it a dummy team or are the targeting fresh legs in the second half to blow Cork away- very hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I love it. Hasn't been this much buzz about a selection in ages.

Harsh or the lads that miss out but all top class replacements.

I'll have hours of footballing permutations to get me around the Ring on Saturday.

Before you set off can you share some of them with us.

On paper you would think that this is a straight forward Kerry win, based on what happened last year, based on the fact that Cork had a terrible league final (after having a good league itself), and based on the fact that it's in Killarney.

But is it that straight forward, personally I don't really know what Cork are like and whether they would be able to compete with Kerry on Sunday.

I think that a real weakness for Kerry can be their full back line.
    By all accounts they got torn apart in the early going v Tipp.
    Enright had to be bailed out by Marc O' Se in Limerick last year, and Marc is a year older now, so how good or bad is he ?
    And what about Fitzgearld ?, has he played much at corner back ?

These are honest questions by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

18. Anthony Maher, Duagh
    19. Paul Geaney, Dingle

That bench is ridiculous.

Before you set off can you share some of them with us.

On paper you would think that this is a straight forward Kerry win, based on what happened last year, based on the fact that Cork had a terrible league final (after having a good league itself), and based on the fact that it's in Killarney.

But is it that straight forward, personally I don't really know what Cork are like and whether they would be able to compete with Kerry on Sunday.

Enright had to be bailed out by Marc O' Se in Limerick last year, and Marc is a year older now, so how good or bad is he ?

You can read it here:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/match-previews-reports/wounded-cork-should-give-kerry-plenty-to-think-about/

Now this was written before the sides were named. But my main point stands. Cork would be mad to go toe to toe with Kerry at midfield. I also think Kerry have such variety in attack that Cork will need to have an excellent plan to shut Kerry down.

I love the half forward selection as it targets Corks strength over us (half backs pace vs our half forwards) and it gives us parity there. It'll also help us to crowd Cork out around the middle, which should make it difficult for them to penetrate the Kerry defence through the middle.

I like our man to man matchups at the back. Marc on O'Neill, Enright on Hurley, Fionn on Kerrigan and Young on O'Connor. Crowley to hold the middle no matter what. Lyne to go for the breaking ball.

Then a slick bench to come on and cause serious damage when both sides are flagging.

Our full back line is a concern under the high ball, but Cork should go with 2 lines of 2 up front so that eases the pressure on the backs as ones of the half backs can drop back to help out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork have a handy team with an inside trio that can damage any defence around. Our problem is getting enough quality ball into them. Poor kickouts and an average midfield means we will be forced at some stage to go short. Thus meaning we will have to play through kerry- which more often than not means very slow ball, if any, reaching the inside forwards. Once plan A goes stale, which it will we will have to rely on our managers ability to tactically outfox kerry- this will never happen as I think he is completely out of his depth.

At some stage Kerry will get going with their better midfield getting on top. This will put too much pressure on the Cork defence and they will start to buckle. Eventually the gap between us on the scoreboard will widen. Early in the second half a few of the star subs will come on make the scoreboard tick over well for the remainder of the game.
    Cork will give Kerry a game in the first half I think but not a lot after that. Kerry defenders can certainly be got at, full back line in particular, but I expect them to have a comfortable enough second half once Cork run out of ideas.

I think Kerry and Donegal are the only teams that will take Dublin in croker, Cork might have Dublin in the qf, not looking forward to that game either . They say its a squad game and you only have to look at Kerry's bench to see how strong they are.

Enright was generally good last year despite a horrorshow in the first few minutes of the Mayo replay.

He was very good on Hurley last year and is generally our best man for doing a one on one marking job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Clubs must have returned some stand tickets - going on sale in the Pavillion and Killarney today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Did you watch many of Kerry's championship games last year? Did you see Enright picking up the oppositions best forward in every game including the Munster final when he held Brian Hurley scoreless until the 69th minute? Are you really writing off a player based on a bad 10 minutes against one of the country's top forwards - with ball raining in on top of you?

Did you watch the All Ireland final last year where Fionn Fitzgerald played corner back or any of the many games he has played for Kerry & Dr Crokes in the fullback line?

Clubs must have returned some stand tickets - going on sale in the Pavillion and Killarney today!

Wonder have some of the season ticket holders returned tickets

Saw this earlier

http://traleetoday.ie/some-season-ticket-holders-not-happy-with-their-stand-seats-for-sunday/

The Kerry Minor Football Team to play Tipperary in the Electric Ireland Munster GAA Minor Football Championship Final on Sunday shows two changes in personnel from the side that defeated Cork in the semi final. Andrew Barry comes in for the injured John Mark Foley at midfield and up front, Michael Foley replaces Bryan Sweeney who was an early injury victim against Cork. Sweeney is named among the substitutes.

The team, captained by Mark O’Connor, is as follows:

1. Billy Courtney Dr. Crokes
    2. Darren Brosnan Gneeveguilla
    3. Jason Foley Ballydonoghue
    4. Jack Morgan Austin Stacks
    5. Gavin White Dr. Crokes
    6. Mike Breen Beaufort
    7. Daniel O’Brien Glenflesk
    8. Mark O’Connor (Capt.) Dingle
    9. Andrew Barry Na Gaeil
    10. Brian Ó Seanacháin Ballydonoghue
    11. Cormac Linnane Beale
    12. Sean O’Shea Kenmare
    13. Stephen O'Sullivan Templenoe
    14. Michael Foley Spa
    15. Conor Geaney Dingle
    Fir Ionaid
    16. Eoghan O'Brien Churchill
    17. Bryan Sweeney Listowel Emmets
    18. Tom O'Sullivan Dingle
    19. Dara O’Shea Kenmare
    20. Ronan Buckley Listry
    21. Graham O'Sullivan Dromid Pearses
    22. Brandon Barrett Ardfert
    23. Jack Goulding Ballyduff
    24. Evan Cronin Spa

Additional Players on the Kerry Minor Panel
    John Mark Foley (Injured, Kilgarvan), Karl Mullins (Kerins O’Rahillys), Ferdia O’Brien (Austin Stacks), Michael Reidy (Ballymacelligott), Michael O’Donnell (Austin Stacks), David Shaw (Dr Crokes), Niall Collins (Listowel Emmets), Colin Griffin (Austin Stacks), Cian Ó Murchú (An Ghaeltacht), Sean Bambury (Dingle).

Bainistíocht:
    Bainisteoir: Jack O’Connor (Dromid Pearses)
    Roghnoirí: Micheal O’Shea (Castlegregory), Eamon Whelan (St Senans).
    Treanalaí: Alan O’Sullivan and Arthur Fitzgerald.
    Captain: Mark O’Connor (Dingle)
    Kitman: Ger O’ Mahony,
    Physio: Kieran O’Shea,
    Liaison Officer: Christy Killeen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Does anyone have a blue terrace ticket? Urgent enough I know but Id buy it and collect it before the game near the stadium! Cheers if anyone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

FatRat wrote: »
    Does anyone have a blue terrace ticket? Urgent enough I know but Id buy it and collect it before the game near the stadium! Cheers if anyone does.

I do as it happens..PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Great game. Great test for both teams. Savage kick by Fionn Fitz at the death.

Cork were robbed though.

• Advertisement

Blessed. Were in total control at half time. A piss poor second half. Some very odd substitutions. No desire under the breaks. Penalty looked extremely dubious. Referee needs to learn to count. Cork overcarrying all day. Poor day overall for Hughes IMO.

After the Black card Cork made an illegal sub. Jamie O'Sullivan came on straight away, when he needed to wait till the next play. He was told to get off so he ran towards the sideline but joined the action anyway and harried the Kerry player on the ball. If he had made a game changing play it would have been disgraceful.

Luckily enough Fionn nailed the score.

Cork can feel hard done by as they were easily the better team and tactically had us figured out. A lot of homework for Fitzmaurice.

On a brighter note the Minors are the best organized and tactically astute Minor team I've ever seen. I thought last year's Minors were more talented but this team are like a machine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement