Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

D'Agger wrote: »
    Been years since, but having played against both - Buckley makes up ground quicker imo

I can hear you crying on the inside :pac:

He's down! Kick him!! :D

Ah leave him be..the lads from the weaker clubs in Tralee have a hard enough time living in the shadow of the Rockies and Mitchels as it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I could throw out some serious digs here but I'll leave it off. *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

DDC1990 wrote: »
    How are the Narries doing in the County Championship Keane?

They're in the losers round? How did that happen?

Maybe they should pack it in and join the Rock to try and win a bit of silverware.

latest rumour is that the narries will be linking up with St Brendans.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I could throw out some serious digs here but I'll leave it off. *****.

I was at a wedding recently and 2 Tralee men were having a row based on the people their respective clubs were named after, you would have loved it!

BPKS wrote: »
    Were you at the game on Sunday?

And if you die a little inside everytime you see Mikey Geaney on the pitch for Kerry, I suggest you stop watching Kerry as your life expectancy will fall dramatically.

so you think he is in the best 6 forwards in Kerry right now?

he is not even in the top 12 imo and not intercounty standard. the fact we left him on the pitch last year against Mayo is the main reason we nearly lost that game - Mayo were down to 14 men and just left him on his own (they actually did that when it was 15 V 15 and double maked JOD), so they could see he was that useless, that he didnt need to be marked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

I would presume that the management that look at him every week would know more about him than any of us

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

he is not even in the top 12 imo and not intercounty standard. the fact we left him on the pitch last year against Mayo is the main reason we nearly lost that game - Mayo were down to 14 men and just left him on his own (they actually did that when it was 15 V 15 and double maked JOD), so they could see he was that useless, that he didnt need to be marked.
    Not aimed at me, but I'll give you my take.

Football is not about 6 forwards any more. Our forwards would get very lonely up front, if we didn't have a Donnacha Walsh or Geaney in the team to win the breaking ball.

Look at Cork. Last year they had a top quality attacking front 6 and bench, Kerrigan, Kelly, O'Connor, Goulding, Hurley, O'Neill etc.

They had no guy to go in a win the ball and got absolutely blown off the field by us in the Munster final.

When Geaney went off on Sunday we had a forward line of O'Brien, Gooch, Darran, P. Geaney, Donaghy and James. 6 unbelievable talents.

In 17 minutes we kicked 3 points to Tipperary's 4. We lost the control we had around the middle, and of course its not just down to Geaney going off, but it had an impact.

Geaney was really, really good on Sunday and I haven't been a fan at all. Even when we were struggling he made good runs, good passes and got on some dirty ball.

Donnchadh Walsh is a better player in that role but he hasn't been fit and you need one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

You didn't answer my question which makes me think you probably weren't in Thurles. Mikey Geaney has a defined role to play which he is obviously capable of doing better than any other Kerry player at the moment and he proved that on Sunday. He is putting in tackles, tracking runners, covering off space and linking play. Scored a lovely point too on Sunday. You cant have 6 Gooch's or 6 Donaghys or 6 James O Donoghues in your forward line.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Geaney was really, really good on Sunday and I haven't been a fan at all. Even when we were struggling he made good runs, good passes and got on some dirty ball.

Donnchadh Walsh is a better player in that role but he hasn't been fit and you need one of them.

That's fair enough and I wasn't at the game..but against any top team is he really going to cut the mustard? Mayo paid him the anti-compliment of not bothering to mark him in the games last year and he did very little. He was also terrible in the final when he came on. This is the standard we have to judge Kerry players by, not league games or half-baked games in May..that might sound harsh, but it's true.

I was a critic of Donnacha's a few years ago, but he then had superb games against Cork in Killarney in 2011, Donegal in 2012, Dublin in 2013 (to name a few) for example..all top level championship games against top opposition. I haven't see Mikey get near that level yet.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough and I wasn't at the game..but against any top team is he really going to cut the mustard? Mayo paid him the anti-compliment of not bothering to mark him in the games last year and he did very little. He was also terrible in the final when he came on. This is the standard we have to judge Kerry players by, not league games or half-baked games in May..that might sound harsh, but it's true.

I was a critic of Donnacha's a few years ago, but he then had superb games against Cork in Killarney in 2011, Donegal in 2012, Dublin in 2013 (to name a few) for example..all top level championship games against top opposition. I haven't see Mikey get near that level yet.

He might be improving I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Sheehan was motm and youre dropping him for Walsh??

Nuts. Sheehans free taking will be invaluable.

Sheehan is not a wing-forward, he won't cover his man, essential to stop wing-backs in modern game.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Are tickets on sale yet for the munster final yet?

anybody have an idea what the team for the final will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Homerjay won't buy his ticket til he knows the line up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Jack O'Connor ratified as U21 manager tonight replacing Darragh.

Good players on the way up from last years minor team etc so it's great that Jack will be on board to guide em.

Success has been very, very sparse at this level recently, so hopefully Jack will right that.

leaves a gap then at Minor level. its sad that a county steeped in football is having to rely on one man to keep our teams going. you would think that with all the successful senior players, at least 1 of them would make a decent manager but it appears nothing is coming through.

anybody in waiting for the minor job?maybe a decent chance for Pat O Shea to get back involved.

leaves a gap then at Minor level. its sad that a county steeped in football is having to rely on one man to keep our teams going. you would think that with all the successful senior players, at least 1 of them would make a decent manager but it appears nothing is coming through.

anybody in waiting for the minor job?maybe a decent chance for Pat O Shea to get back involved.

Seán Bán has been involved with this years u16 development squad for 2 years or more and has been doing well apparently. I would say again, though that we need to get away from the fascination with ex-players..Fine if an ex player is putting in good coaching work and appears to know his stuff, but a lot of them just are not good coaches or managers. Darragh O'Sé being a very pertinent example.
    Develop coaches who are involved at top of schools and club level and get them involved with regional squads, divisional underage teams etc.
    I know his minor tenure wasn't hectic but Pat O'Driscoll has done great work with underage squads aswell, along with what he's done with Ardfert. Definitely worthy of consideration down the line as Coach maybe.
    I don't know much about Tomm Griffin but given the performaces of Pobalscoil this year he can't be bad.

As for Pat O'Shea, that is not going to happen and I wouldn't welcome it either to be honest. He's been out of the game for a while now anyway at any level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Jack doesn't take over teams unless they have a chance of winning normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

As for Pat O'Shea, that is not going to happen and I wouldn't welcome it either to be honest. He's been out of the game for a while now anyway at any level.

He's still Munster Development officer and has been involved with the Dr Crokes Minors for a while, so I would disagree with the comment of him being "out of the game for a while now"

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    He's still Munster Development officer and has been involved with the Dr Crokes Minors for a while, so I would disagree with the comment of him being "out of the game for a while now"

His job is a management or administrative role mainly, not hands on.
    Fair enough if he's involved with Crokes minors, didn't know that.
    Personally, don't rate him very highly as a manager, probably should have come straight out and said that.

9bred4 wrote: »

every kerry team has a chance of winning. the difference is, Jack turns them into winners, something else that very few apart from Eamon Fitzmaurice seems capable of doing in the past 7 or 8 years or 20 as was the case in the Minors.

every kerry team has a chance of winning. the difference is, Jack turns them into winners, something else that very few apart from Eamon Fitzmaurice seems capable of doing in the past 7 or 8 years or 20 as was the case in the Minors.

I remember when Jack was appointed Senior manager in late 2003 there were quite a few people saying it was the wrong man. When Kerry lost to Longford in the 1st league game it was open season on O'Connor. "Not up to it" was the consensus. Pat Spillane mentioned that "this was the man who had lost to Waterford at u21 level" (no mention if winning the U21 All Ireland or Corn ui Mhuiris funnily enough!) etc etc..

Kerry went on to win the league that year though, only losing to Tyrone in Omagh by a point.
    More importantly, that team went on to win 4 of the next 6 All Irelands (and 3 National League titles) and set the tone for every Kerry team since really.

Jack came back after a 2 year hiatus and was in charge in 2010, but after that things went a bit stale and 2011 final and the whole of 2012 are frustrating memories largely. A lot of mistakes were made in that time, which you'd hope Jack and others involved have learned from.

Make no mistake about it though, he's up there with the greatest managers and as Homerjay said, he's been a winner at every level he's been involved at.
    The only concern with him moving up is getting the right management at minor level. I would hope the board have seen what a young manager coming from Schools/development squads background can do ( backed by experienced heads) as Fitzmaurice has and go with that template..but there have been some shocking appointments made at underage especially in the last 10 years. 1 look at our u21 record makes for horrific reading for example.
    For now, the minors have a Munster final in 2 weeks and next years 21s look like they'll have proper structure at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Don't know of many counties that would'nt give their right arm to have a manager of the quality of Jack O Connor at their disposal irrespective of the grade.Born winner,one of greatest of all time.Having said that he had a uniquely talented pool of players at his disposal.I know at one stage there were rumours that my county men were seriously interested in hiring him but he ruled himself out as I believe he had committed himself to managing the Kerry minors and the job would have entailed too long a commute.Don't know if it was a seriously considered proposition by either side or simply paper talk.

Eamonn Fitzmaurice ain't half bad either.He was a huge factor in your march to your All Ireland win last year with a Kerry team which was apparently in transition...Have never believed in the existence of such a team.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Never a truer word said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

That happens a lot in the GAA,even at club level,if a team is any good every one wants to be involved the following year a few lads might be over age and the team might be a bit weak,no one wants it.

manster wrote: »
    Never a truer more bitter word said.

i fixed that for you. is shocking that a man who has won everything as a manager, is still doubted even after all these year and success.

as i already said, every kerry team has a chance of winning something, every year.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's all that outlandish to think Jack was aware that a particularly special bunch of minors were coming through and fancied taking them from 17 through to senior.

What's the problem with saying that? I don't think he'd even deny as much himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement