Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The game was over. Why would you want to injure another played deliberately? It would have had absolutely no benefit to Tipperary. It was real low and I'd call out Kerry players that would do it.

Fine if it's a shoulder to shoulder challenge for the ball, but he was targeted from the second he stepped on the field by number 7, charging into him. James ran behind Donaghy for protection and McDonald who was marking Donaghy charged into the back of JOD's shoulder, knocking him to the ground! It was a real cheap shot to hit a guys injured shoulder when they aren't looking.

EDIT: By the way, Anthony Maher was by far and away the best player on the pitch yesterday IMO. Terrific all round performance. Sheehan kicked lovely scores at vital stages, but Maher was ever present and stifled a great attacking midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

DDC1990 wrote:
    EDIT: By the way, Anthony Maher was by far and away the best player on the pitch yesterday IMO. Terrific all round performance. Sheehan kicked lovely scores at vital stages, but Maher was ever present and stifled a great attacking midfield.

Agreed. Based on yesterday neither should be dropped for Munster Final. A problem for Moran if fit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Agreed. Based on yesterday neither should be dropped for Munster Final. A problem for Moran if fit

On form Buckley could easily be dropped for Sheehan.

Buckley was really poor yesterday, it wasn't just because he had a yellow card that he needed to get the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

keane2097 wrote:
    On form Buckley could easily be dropped for Sheehan.

For Moran

For Moran

Well, I mean Moran would come back into midfield while Sheehan would take Buckley's place.

I couldn't see how Kerry could line out for a big game without David Moran if he's fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sheehan you'd prefer on the 40 due to his lack of pace - he can get up and down the field just fine, but Corks wing backs would cause him trouble, we won't move Cooper from that berth and rightly so. Geaney could be dropped seeing as he tends to drop deep naturally - have Sheehan act as a 3rd midfielder as such, getting up and down the pitch and looking to link play out of defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

D'Agger wrote: »
    Sheehan you'd prefer on the 40 due to his lack of pace - he can get up and down the field just fine, but Corks wing backs would cause him trouble, we won't move Cooper from that berth and rightly so. Geaney could be dropped seeing as he tends to drop deep naturally - have Sheehan act as a 3rd midfielder as such, getting up and down the pitch and looking to link play out of defence?

Sheehan at wing forward is just a non-starter for me. Been there, done that..doesn't work.
    Buckley has only just returned from injury so would cut him some slack. He will improve you'd think. Both Maher and Sheehan were good according to reports yesterday, Moran should be available again for July 5th...some crazy competition for places developing!

The fullback line are coming in for a lot of criticism, but going by the highlights it would appear there were a lot of runners coming through the half forward line which caused a lot of issues, especially in the first half? With Fionn Fitz, Murphy and possibly AOM coming back, there could be changes there but not too many. Griffin may lose out, but I don't see Marc or Enright going anywhere.

On a side note, hope Tadhg Morley is ok after his unfortunate injury for the juniors.
    They play Cork in the final in Cork on Wednesday fortnight now which should be interesting viewing.

I'm getting a sense that people think Buckley is way more mobile than Sheehan?

We might go with:

1. Kealy
    2. Marc
    3. O'Mahoney
    4. Fionn
    5. Lyne
    6. Crowley
    7. Young
    8. Maher
    9. Moran
    10. Geaney
    11. Gooch
    12. Donnacha
    13. James
    14. Geaney
    15. Sheehan

With Sheehan operating as a 3rd midfielder and Geaney and James causing wreck as a two man full forward line.

Most likely Sheehan will miss out or start at 12, Donaghy will probably start.

Worryingly, Darran looks a shadow of his former self. Was a very poor cameo vs Tipp.

EDIT: To clarify, this is the team I think Eamon may pick rather then the team i'd pick.

Wouldn't drop Donaghy in a month of Sundays. He's absolutely flying IMO.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    We might go with:

1. Kealy
    2. Marc
    3. O'Mahoney
    4. Fionn
    5. Lyne
    6. Crowley
    7. Young
    8. Maher
    9. Moran
    10. Geaney
    11. Gooch
    12. Donnacha
    13. James
    14. Geaney
    15. Sheehan

With Sheehan operating as a 3rd midfielder and Geaney and James causing wreck as a two man full forward line.

Most likely Sheehan will miss out or start at 12, Donaghy will probably start.

Worryingly, Darran looks a shadow of his former self. Was a very poor cameo vs Tipp.

DDC, IMO the days of starting AOM AND Marc in the fullback line are gone I'm afraid. Ok, worked out grand against Donegal last year but that was after Marc finally getting a spurt of form and fitness and Aidan suited Murphy very well given the system Donegal play. The stars would have to align in a massive way for us for that to work again..or against Dublin, Mayo or any top 6 forward line.
    No idea why you've dropped Enright either. Look at the job he did last year overall. Was our go-to man marker for virtually every game and did it very well. I wasn't in Thurles either, but I'm informed he was solid if unspectacular.

Donaghy is playing, end of.

Sheehan is midfield or bust really.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't drop him, but Eamon plans for each opposition accordingly.

I wouldn't be massively surprised to see Donaghy miss out vs Cork due to Cork having a physical presence in Shields to try to counter Donaghy.

I just have a feeling Kerry will go for all out pace in the forward line, maybe start O'Brien as well instead of Mikey Geaney or Donnacha Walsh.

I'd still have Donaghy there as he creates havok and needs to be tightly marked, which create space for others to score.

I'd have:
    Maher + Moran
    M. Geaney, Gooch, Donnacha
    James, Star, P. Geaney

Sheehan, Buckley and BJK miss out, which is unfortunate. That of course depends on how fit David Moran is.

DDC, IMO the days of starting AOM AND Marc in the fullback line are gone I'm afraid. Ok, worked out grand against Donegal last year but that was after Marc finally getting a spurt of form and fitness and Aidan suited Murphy very well given the system Donegal play. The stars would have to align in a massive way for us for that to work again..or against Dublin, Mayo or any top 6 forward line.
    No idea why you've dropped Enright either. Look at the job he did last year overall. Was our go-to man marker for virtually every game and did it very well. I wasn't in Thurles either, but I'm informed he was solid if unspectacular.

Donaghy is playing, end of.

Sheehan is midfield or bust really.
    I've edited my post to make it clear that I wouldnt go this way, but I feel Eamon might.

Having said that I'd have absolutely no problem playing Aidan and Marc in the full back line. Marc on O'Neill and Aidan on Hurley. Neither have the pace to trouble the "old men", but would be very clever footballers, and could take an inexperienced player to the cleaners. For me Enright has more positives then Fionn, but he is absolutely criminally inept under the high ball which would kill us. Fionn is more comfortable across the board and would strike me as the safer option. Enright did well on Austin when Austin went into the corner, but the ball in was shíte, and he only had to deal with one long ball, which he fielded, fell over and got a rather fortuitous free for.

I agree with both other points, for me Donaghy has to start. Sheehan can play at midfield, but is caught for pace anywhere else. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start, with 15 on his back but act as a 3rd midfielder.

I'd prefer to go with 6 forwards, have Donaghy as a target man, and James and Geaney causing damage off him.

I certainly wouldn't drop him, but Eamon plans for each opposition accordingly.

I wouldn't be massively surprised to see Donaghy miss out vs Cork due to Cork having a physical presence in Shields to try to counter Donaghy.

I just have a feeling Kerry will go for all out pace in the forward line, maybe start O'Brien as well instead of Mikey Geaney or Donnacha Walsh.

I'd still have Donaghy there as he creates havok and needs to be tightly marked, which create space for others to score.

I'd have:
    Maher + Moran
    M. Geaney, Gooch, Donnacha
    James, Star, P. Geaney

Sheehan, Buckley and BJK miss out, which is unfortunate. That of course depends on how fit David Moran is.

Donaghy has absolutely roasted Shields any time they have gone toe to toe DDC. He is not very good against a big man. Murphy and Donaghy have given him lots of bad goings over. In fairness to the man, he's a natural half back or centre back, but Cork just don't have another option.
    Cadogan would be a better choice at 3 but he too has struggled in recent years.

I also have no idea why Mikey Geaney is starting ahead of Buckley on your selection..especially if Walsh starts on the other wing?

I've edited my post to make it clear that I wouldnt go this way, but I feel Eamon might.

Having said that I'd have absolutely no problem playing Aidan and Marc in the full back line. Marc on O'Neill and Aidan on Hurley. Neither have the pace to trouble the "old men", but would be very clever footballers, and could take an inexperienced player to the cleaners. For me Enright has more positives then Fionn, but he is absolutely criminally inept under the high ball which would kill us. Fionn is more comfortable across the board and would strike me as the safer option. Enright did well on Austin when Austin went into the corner, but the ball in was shíte, and he only had to deal with one long ball, which he fielded, fell over and got a rather fortuitous free for.

I agree with both other points, for me Donaghy has to start. Sheehan can play at midfield, but is caught for pace anywhere else. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start, with 15 on his back but act as a 3rd midfielder.

I'd prefer to go with 6 forwards, have Donaghy as a target man, and James and Geaney causing damage off him.

It seems like me picking on you right now, so this is the last one tonight..but
    AOM v Hurley? Hurley would roast him for pace..do you realise how quick Hurley is?

Hurley will be picked up by Enright on July 5th, mark my words and if he does a similar job to last year (held him scoreless for 69 minutes) then that will be a huge plus.

Would be delighted to see Shields trotting in to mark Donaghy as well

It seems like me picking on you right now, so this is the last one tonight..but
    AOM v Hurley? Hurley would roast him for pace..do you realise how quick Hurley is?

Hurley will be picked up by Enright on July 5th, mark my words and if he does a similar job to last year (held him scoreless for 69 minutes) then that will be a huge plus.
    My bad I had it in my head that Mahoney marked Hurley last year!

Who was Mahoney on? I remember he had a brilliant game.

Enright gave Hurley a roasting alright. He made it a physical battle and no better man to get on top of a physical battle then Shane.

As I said I cannot trust Enright under the high ball, and Hurley is brilliant under the high ball. Cork didn't target that last year, but i'd be worried if they did.

As for Geaney, he had a very good game against Tipperary (despite a quiet first 10 minutes) miles ahead of Buckley on that game alone. Buckley is slow, and will get roasted by Cork's half backs like he did in Páirc Uí Rinn earleir in the year. Geaney is much quicker, and isn't afraid to make a dirty cynical tackle if his man has him beaten. Buckley is a bit too honest :P

I'd start with Walsh and Geaney to counter the running from the half backs, and later when the pace of the game drops i'd bring in Buckley and Sheehan, or maybe Stephen O'Brien to go on the attack ourselves.

That's just me.

And don't worry, I don't take replies to my comments personally, its all a discussion worth having even if our opinions differ. We all want what's best for the team, and have different ways of looking at things. A difference of opinion should never be seen as a personal attack. I'm not afraid to admit when i'm wrong either :P You've called it right on a few occasions before, especially when it comes to Kerry vs Cork games and matchup's so I appreciate your opinion.

EDIT: Was AOM on Paddy Kelly?

AOM marked John O'Rourke last year. He was half back.

I know you're saying Buckley was poor yesterday, but Buckley is a class above Mikey Geaney when he gets fit AND like I said, no need for Walsh/Geaney in the same half forward line. I thought it was the root cause of a lot of trouble last year in the Mayo games actually.

No harm differing in opinions anyway like you said, we all want the same thing!

We've gotten way too civilized in here over the years, ye can both go **** yerselves :pac:

AOM marked John O'Rourke last year. He was half back.

I know you're saying Buckley was poor yesterday, but Buckley is a class above Mikey Geaney when he gets fit AND like I said, no need for Walsh/Geaney in the same half forward line. I thought it was the root cause of a lot of trouble last year in the Mayo games actually.

No harm differing in opinions anyway like you said, we all want the same thing!
    Maybe i'm thinking too cautiously.

We're All Ireland Champions and they should be looking to stop us, not the other way around.

They are all good problems to have. If Buckley isn't working out we'll have the firepower off the bench to change things.

I was a big detractor of Geaney, but what he brought to the table on Sunday was vital, in countering the fast and hard running Tipperary half backs. Buckley has shown regularly that he struggles to track back at pace. I'm just having flashbacks to Páirc Uí Rinn. However we'll have Crowley at CHB and not Jack Sherwood which should make a difference.

You have Paul Murphy to add into the equation as well. If Cork play with a man withdrawn, Murphy would be idea to have as that free man to try and win the breaks. A lot of quality players to fit into 15 places.

Having said that we finished on Sunday with Donnacha Walsh and Tommy Walsh as our midfield, neither of which are midfielders.

Paul Galvin will have to earn his place on the training panel over the next 3 weeks teaching the lads the art of winning the dirty ball. Will be vital.

• Advertisement

We've gotten way too civilized in here over the years, ye can both go **** yerselves :pac:
    How are the Narries doing in the County Championship Keane?

They're in the losers round? How did that happen?

Maybe they should pack it in and join the Rock to try and win a bit of silverware.

Maybe they should pack it in and join the Rock to try and win a bit of silverware.

Ah here... :(

I gave up the uncivilised stuff after our first ever "discussion" on here Keane! I still can't fathom why I was such a complete d*ckhead that time..anyway, at least we can laugh about it now!

I gave up the uncivilised stuff after our first ever "discussion" on here Keane! I still can't fathom why I was such a complete d*ckhead that time..anyway, at least we can laugh about it now!

That's what I was getting at alright :D

Sure we became good friends since!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Every time I see M Geaney on the pitch for Kerry I die a little bit inside.

We have so many better options than him it's criminal to see him selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Donaghy is captain. He will start every. Single. Game.

Forwards for me would be

Maher moran

Sheehan. Gooch

James o donoghue barry john keane

Star. Geaney

Last slot is on form

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Forwards

Buckley Gooch D. Walsh

O'Donoghue Donaghy Geaney

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Forwards

Buckley Gooch D. Walsh

O'Donoghue Donaghy Geaney

Sheehan was motm and youre dropping him for Walsh??

Nuts. Sheehans free taking will be invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm getting a sense that people think Buckley is way more mobile than Sheehan?

Been years since, but having played against both - Buckley makes up ground quicker imo

I can hear you crying on the inside :pac:

Ah here... :(

He's down! Kick him!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Every time I see M Geaney on the pitch for Kerry I die a little bit inside.

We have so many better options than him it's criminal to see him selected.

Were you at the game on Sunday?

And if you die a little inside everytime you see Mikey Geaney on the pitch for Kerry, I suggest you stop watching Kerry as your life expectancy will fall dramatically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement