Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Story going around Kieran O Leary out for season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Unlucky for him if true, cruciate I would assume?
    County league taking shape now, anyone at any games the weekend? Some very high scoring matches, probably down to the weather being a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Saw on twitter Spa lost to Templenoe, 9 goals in the game and a surprise result really, would have fancied Spa....perhaps they've taken it a bit easy now that the intermediate semi has been pushed well back

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hearing theres 1 key member of the backs out injured for Sunday now and another key player is struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

hearing theres 1 key member of the backs out injured for Sunday now and another key player is struggling.

Expand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Expand...

Paul Murphy is injured for Sunday. Tommy Walsh is doubtful. Kieran O'Leary is gone for the year after doing his Achilles.

Moran and Cooper are doubts but expected to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Will I get my boots ready so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Great job with the hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Tipperary 7/1? I know Kerry and Cork dominate in Munster but kerry are crazy low odds for the next day, this could be a real dodgy one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

wonga77 wrote: »
    Tipperary 7/1? I know Kerry and Cork dominate in Munster but kerry are crazy low odds for the next day, this could be a real dodgy one

I see Paddy Power is trying to tempt Tipp Fans offering them 11 / 2.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭I am the Res

Were 13/2 , came into 11/2 when Colin O`Riordan was given the o.k. Think Tipp won`t be too far off , really up for this and a lot stronger than they were in the League !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭I am the Res

Not at Minor or Under 21 ;) !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Reckon Tip will give them a right good game before Kerry pull away. Wouldn't surprise me if Cork lose to Kerry by more than Tip do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Reckon Tip will give them a right good game before Kerry pull away. Wouldn't surprise me if Cork lose to Kerry by more than Tip do.

I'd agree
    Kerry are vulnerable in focus is really Dublin even though it won't and correctly so be public admitted but the dog on the streets know this hence the late warm weather training camp
    Kerry could struggle against a fit dynamic fast tipp team as kerrigan no where near full capacity and hope individuals get them through

I can't believe I'm saying this but for benefits cork football I hope kerry win as the last thing we need is tipp to win and the Munster Final pressure get them cork win munster in a false dawn
    If cork win munster it has to be beat kerry in killarney other wise imo I see no value in it

I think kerry would beat cork but I don't think they see any point humiliation this year as last year they needed a huge win and they won't show their fully hand til Dublin imo so cork will probably be close but kerry in control always
    Sunday is a potential banna skin but once kerry are there in the last quarter should win
    The dangers are a slow start after the algave and trying to peg a big lead back on tired legs
    I expect kerry to win but I wouldn't back them with big money

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd agree
    Kerry are vulnerable in focus is really Dublin even though it won't and correctly so be public admitted but the dog on the streets know this hence the late warm weather training camp
    Kerry could struggle against a fit dynamic fast tipp team as kerrigan no where near full capacity and hope individuals get them through

I can't believe I'm saying this but for benefits cork football I hope kerry win as the last thing we need is tipp to win and the Munster Final pressure get them cork win munster in a false dawn
    If cork win munster it has to be beat kerry in killarney other wise imo I see no value in it

I think kerry would beat cork but I don't think they see any point humiliation this year as last year they needed a huge win and they won't show their fully hand til Dublin imo so cork will probably be close but kerry in control always
    Sunday is a potential banna skin but once kerry are there in the last quarter should win
    The dangers are a slow start after the algave and trying to peg a big lead back on tired legs
    I expect kerry to win but I wouldn't back them with big money

I can never get this idea that teams do not show their full hand until certain times in the year.

You hear it all the time, your hear it a lot if a defending champion is not setting the world alight the following year.

Teams are what they are.
    If Kerry are sluggish v Tipp it's cos it's in Tipp against a good Tipp team, with Kerry playing their first game, and missing a few players.
    If Kerry are not setting the world alight v Cork then it's because Cork are not lying down like they did last year and there may be other factors
    If Kerry are still sluggish and playing poorly v an A side qualifier in the QF, or a B side qualifier/Ulster champ in the SF then there is something wrong.

Teams do not intentionally go out to be poor, or looking for a test, or to under perform
    They are poor, tested or under performing for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I can never get this idea that teams do not show their full hand until certain times in the year.

You hear it all the time, your hear it a lot if a defending champion is not setting the world alight the following year.

Teams are what they are.
    If Kerry are sluggish v Tipp it's cos it's in Tipp against a good Tipp team, with Kerry playing their first game, and missing a few players.
    If Kerry are not setting the world alight v Cork then it's because Cork are not lying down like they did last year and there may be other factors
    If Kerry are still sluggish and playing poorly v an A side qualifier in the QF, or a B side qualifier/Ulster champ in the SF then there is something wrong.

Teams do not intentionally go out to be poor, or looking for a test, or to under perform
    They are poor, tested or under performing for other reasons.

Training to peak at particular times is very much to the fore in Kerry training these days.

Sure they just spent a week running the nuts off themselves in Portugal, hardly beyond belief that they wouldn't be at their best for this game, and hardly beyond belief that that's how the management want it.

Kerry are the masters of phoney war
    They have no interest in playing full peak sunday as seen by the late warm weather training camp
    Dont have foolish or naive thoughts that dublin has not dicated their change of training because of this.
    There vulernable sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Kerry are the masters of phoney war
    They have no interest in playing full peak sunday as seen by the late warm weather training camp
    Dont have foolish or naive thoughts that dublin has not dicated their change of training because of this.
    There vulernable sunday.

Dublin? It's nothing to do with Dublin. It's the championship structure mixed with modern sports science.
    Going back decades there was a tradition of peaking for Cork (Munster final) and then the All Ireland..peaking twice a year in other words.
    In unique GAA fashion, this remains unchanged (with a slight adjustment) even in the present day with all the changes the game of Gaelic Football has undergone.
    The slight adjustment these days is having a mini-peak for the August Bank Holiday in case you lose the Munster final/Face a big team in the quarters. Win that and you have your break to the semis, then 3 weeks until the final.

Pat Flanagan has been explaining exactly how you periodise your training schedule to suit this system for years to anyone who will listen (or employ his services!) and Cian O'Neill has followed suit. Look how many teams they have brought to Finals in September between them. 8 of the last 11 finals had one of them involved I reckon.

The fact that Kerry, Cork, Dublin can do this while no Ulster team can (unless willing to risk the qualifier route) only highlights further the inadequacy of the current structure.

Dublin? It's nothing to do with Dublin. It's the championship structure mixed with modern sports science.
    Going back decades there was a tradition of peaking for Cork (Munster final) and then the All Ireland..peaking twice a year in other words.
    In unique GAA fashion, this remains unchanged (with a slight adjustment) even in the present day with all the changes the game of Gaelic Football has undergone.
    The slight adjustment these days is having a mini-peak for the August Bank Holiday in case you lose the Munster final/Face a big team in the quarters. Win that and you have your break to the semis, then 3 weeks until the final.

Pat Flanagan has been explaining exactly how you periodise your training schedule to suit this system for years to anyone who will listen (or employ his services!) and Cian O'Neill has followed suit. Look how many teams they have brought to Finals in September between them. 8 of the last 11 finals had one of them involved I reckon.

The fact that Kerry, Cork, Dublin can do this while no Ulster team can (unless willing to risk the qualifier route) only highlights further the inadequacy of the current structure.
    Id agree but course dublin come in to the equation as their the only team that could stop kerry this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Id agree but course dublin come in to the equation as their the only team that could stop kerry this year

Dublin, Cork, Mayo or Donegal could catch Kerry out on their day and vice versa. There may be a surprise team to emerge and show some form as well.

• Advertisement

Dublin, Cork, Mayo or Donegal could catch Kerry out on their day and vice versa. There may be a surprise team to emerge and show some form as well.

Christ behold cork are so awful its unlikely
    Id rate galway over mayo but walsh is a big loss to them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Still cant believe that as reigning All Ireland Champions the game against Tipp isn't on TV next Sunday,

Armagh V Donegal must be a bigger ratings puller :rolleyes:

The same way no team could stop Dublin last year except Mayo?

If history has taught us anything TTM it's that we can't predict how things will turn out at this point of the year. We know Kerry and Dublin look like the top contenders, but the record of defending champions since 1990 makes for stark reading..often ending in failure to far inferior teams..and as for Dublin, well we don't yet know if the defensive frailties have been well or truly banished just yet..and we probably won't find out until around 4.30pm on an August Sunday either!

Still cant believe that as reigning All Ireland Champions the game against Tipp isn't on TV next Sunday,

Armagh V Donegal must be a bigger ratings puller :rolleyes:

In fairness, RTE showed Kerry v Tipp live 2 years ago and Kerry won by 17. Were I completely neutral I'd rather watch the game in Armagh on Sunday.

The same way no team could stop Dublin last year except Mayo?

If history has taught us anything TTM it's that we can't predict how things will turn out at this point of the year. We know Kerry and Dublin look like the top contenders, but the record of defending champions since 1990 makes for stark reading..often ending in failure to far inferior teams..and as for Dublin, well we don't yet know if the defensive frailties have been well or truly banished just yet..and we probably won't find out until around 4.30pm on an August Sunday either!
    Yeah true
    But think dublin learned from fralites lsst year and gavin and fitzmaurice two shrewd managers around
    Dublin all through the league and challanges and v longford have been outstanding in defence and yes tougher tests await but thetr showing signs of progression and defence shows a structure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

In fairness, RTE showed Kerry v Tipp live 2 years ago and Kerry won by 17. Were I completely neutral I'd rather watch the game in Armagh on Sunday.

Big difference to the Tipp team now and the one two years ago,they had a great run in last years championship,finished third in Division 3 the same Division as Armagh were in this year and also got to the Under 21 Final,

Kerry V Tipp will be a far more entertaining imo,maybe the game should have been a Saturday evening game instead of Sunday,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The thing is that the Armagh Donegal game is being broadcast on BBC NI anyway.

As such I'd imagine it's far more about cost as opposed to ratings - RTE will simply take BBC NI feed and use the money saved for their "stars" salaries.

It will be interesting to see who the program director for BBC NI will be this time out - will be it the one who is utterly obsessed with crowd shots and shots of the sideline or will it be the one who consistently shows replays thereby ensuring that the number of kickouts shown is at an absolute minimum and instead return to the action with a random player in possession. Or will they be inventive andfind some other way to made a botch of things.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The thing is that the Armagh Donegal game is being broadcast on BBC NI anyway.

As such I'd imagine it's far more about cost as opposed to ratings - RTE will simply take BBC NI feed and use the money saved for their "stars" salaries.

It will be interesting to see who the program director for BBC NI will be this time out - will be it the one who is utterly obsessed with crowd shots and shots of the sideline or will it be the one who consistently shows replays thereby ensuring that the number of kickouts shown is at an absolute minimum and instead return to the action with a random player in possession. Or will they be inventive andfind some other way to made a botch of things.

I forgot that actually. Puts a different slant on it. I guess, to be fair, Tipp v Kerry might not draw the neutral punter like an Ulster clash, whatever way things pan out?
    I think RTE's coverage deserves huge criticism at the moment, but I don't think it's the most outrageous decision by any means. They ARE probably just taking the lazy option..they've done it all winter with the "League Sunday" show shur..whichever game was the main focus on TG4 was the same game that RTE gave most attention to, followed by whatever Setanta had shown on Saturday night (usually involving Dublin!)..lazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keane2097 wrote: »
    Training to peak at particular times is very much to the fore in Kerry training these days.

Sure they just spent a week running the nuts off themselves in Portugal, hardly beyond belief that they wouldn't be at their best for this game, and hardly beyond belief that that's how the management want it.

Of course they will not be at their peak on Sunday.

It's more the idea that they do not have to peak ('show their hand' as the poster put it) until Dublin that I don't agree with.
    And the notion that a team can be sluggish through out a campaign beacuse they are going to 'turn it on' at a certain point.
    I'm not sure that is what 'thinkstoomuch1' was implying but that's what I read and I wanted to rant anyway

In 2012 when Dublin were sluggish up to and including the QF people told us 'oh wait till the Sf and Final and they will turn it on'
    They turned in on in the 2nd half of the Sf when they had a 10 pt defect that they could not overcome.

The same goes for Donegal in 2013, they were hardly setting Ulster on fire but we were told to 'wait till they get to Croke Park', and look at what happened to them in Croke Park.

Kerry will have to be on form for a Munster final, no use coming into that unprepared regardless of how poor Cork seem to be.

The QF v A side qualifier may be a time to take a break based on the poor quality of the A side.

They will have to again be at the top of their game for a SF v Ulster Champs or B side qualifier, which could be Donegal or Mayo, both of which are capable of beating Kerry on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Senior Team:

1. Brendan Kealy
    2. Marc O'Sé
    3. Mark Griffin
    4. Shane Enright
    5. Jonathan Lyne
    6. Peter Crowley
    7. Killian Young
    8. Anthony Maher
    9. Brian Sheehan
    10. Michael Geaney
    11. Colm Cooper
    12. Johnny Buckley
    13. Paul Geaney
    14. Kieran Donaghy (C)
    15. Barry John Keane

Donoghue, Darren, Mahony and both Walshes on the bench.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement