Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Been snowing here now since 1pm or so, moderatly, enough to replace the snow that melted this morning and make everything white again ;)

SC, this slight rise in temps you mention, how far inland to you expect it to reach? both my temp and dew point are going down (if only slightly) 0.9c and 0c respectively.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of photos from last 'shower':

030209009.jpg

030209010.jpg

030209018.jpg

030209020.jpg

Snow has stopped now and sun is trying to peek through. 0.9c DP 0.0c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like thats gona be it now until perhaps we see a little bit on Thursday morning.

Rtavn422.png

Anyone know how the m50 southbound is like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Been snowing here now since 1pm or so, moderatly, enough to replace the snow that melted this morning and make everything white again ;)

SC, this slight rise in temps you mention, how far inland to you expect it to reach? both my temp and dew point are going down (if only slightly) 0.9c and 0c respectively.

I guess you are getting evaporative cooling there, once the precip stops it will probably start rising as it is here.
    If the skies clear it will get cold inland which may stop a thaw, but here and by the east coast its likely to be cloudy so probably going to continue to warm.
    Hope I'm wrong!!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

just got asnother dressing here

When the say rain I get snow when they say snow I get rain lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

DP is 2C in Waterford now so it's gonna be rain for us. :(

sorry forgot to add Temp 1.7 & DP .6.

See im getting good at this :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DP is 2C in Waterford now so it's gonna be rain for us. :(

Your f***ed! Looking at the 1600 radar almost looks like a little low pressure formed over the Irish Sea and moved in over Dublin.

Got some hail here atm.. no rain yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Temp 0.9C DP -0.7 but no showers in last 30 mins

Supercell wrote: »
    Yep, I think its a little irresponsible as everyone that reads it will take off early while conditions are still bad instead of waiting till later when most of it will have melted and thus be safer on the roads!

Far from safe in Wicklow today - safe indoors !

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Just started snowing in dundalk. Not sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Snowing heavily in Kells and sticking!

Alot of precip it looks like will fall in the east tonight.

If it stays as snow somewhere they will get a HEAP

Places like Carlow, Kilkenny and maybe west Wicklow and Louth could still see something tonight due to lying snow and being far enough from the coast to keep low DP's, all very marginal and exciting !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Actually that probably was the low centre that moved over Dublin - looking at http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=vis&type=loop

Clear blue sky right overhead now (can see the moon) but very dark clouds all round.

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=exp
    Take a look at the expected 3 hours - Holy S&%#

Supercell wrote: »
    Fact of the matter is look at the DP's for Arklow,
    Have you checked mine lately ?

1.3/0.3 :D

Got a call there now,snowing very heavily just inland of here from the start.
    Turning to snow here.

Whats stopping that happening too quickly here is we are so far missing most of the shower.We are at the edge of it.

You are right SC regarding the Evap cooling.
    These showers remember are part of a wrap around of the Welsh cold air and they gave 6 inches of snow in swansea today.
    They are carrying their own DP regime I think with them...though unhelpfully there is an Irish sea mix entering the thickness layer.

I agree the dp regime to the south is not good.

I dont like WC's pessimism about thursday :(

Big monster flakes now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The snow is really coming down now, after a brief respite.

Have you checked mine lately ?

1.3/0.3 :D

Got a call there now,snowing very heavily just inland of here from the start.
    Turning to snow here.

Whats stopping that happening too quickly here is we are so far missing most of the shower.We are at the edge of it.

You are right SC regarding the Evap cooling.
    These showers remember are part of a wrap around of the Welsh cold air and they gave 6 inches of snow in swansea today.
    They are carrying their own DP regime I think with them...though unhelpfully there is an Irish sea mix entering the thickness layer.

I agree the dp regime to the south is not good.

I dont like WC's pessimism about thursday :(

You make me a happy man BB, if your DP is falling there is hope yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tizzy

Finally some serious snow falling in Kells area :)

Bring it on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

will the precip move inland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Still no snow for the west :(

I wonder was there a mini warm sector in that rotation moving north ?

Mothmans DP is still on a rising trajectory as is mine :( , though it is still snowing here.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The last shower here was just hail but I could see it falling before it actually arrived... pretty amazing weather in general, snow or not to be honest!

Snow4-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Raining here in Dublin Port :(:

EDIT: Heavyish snow now :D

EDIT again: back to rain!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    The last shower here was just hail but I could see it falling before it actually arrived... pretty amazing weather in general, snow or not to be honest!

Snow4-1.jpg

Love it!, great capture!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Dirty brown clouds = snow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement