Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

New weather warning from Met Eireann:

Issued at 03 February 2009 - 16:00
    Severe weather warning
    Further heavy snow showers at times this evening and overnight, prolonged in places, mainly in eastern and southern areas. Further accumumations likely.

Seem not to think it'll go rain-y..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Confab wrote: »
    Depends where you are Darkman! Big lump on it's way up from the southeast at the moment.

let,s hope its snow, snow, snow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

LookingFor wrote: »

Severe weather warning
    Further heavy snow showers at times this evening and overnight, prolonged in places, mainly in eastern and southern areas. Further accumumations likely.

Its already out of date and plain wrong.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

shamwari wrote: »
    Have a look at this: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

It looks like the east coast from Dub to Wex is about to be dumped upon. Substantial stuff brewing off the coast at the mo

how long until you think that will hit?
    i've to make a car journey soon!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

darkman2 wrote: »
    Surely that's gonna be it now...Dew Points must be past the snow mark at this stage.
    Supercell wrote: »
    Gonna be rain/sleet from now on.

What is increasing the DPs now? And more importantly, should they drop again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Anan

This is exciting. Not just the snow. But the boardies too... Before you finish reading the post and hit refresh there are 5 more. Keep it going folks...

Felixdhc wrote: »
    What is increasing the DPs now? And more importantly, should they drop again?

The air is coming from the south, its warmer, simple as that.
    Maybe some evaporative cooling in the heavier bursts may give me some more snow but at sea level its going to rain or at best sleet from now on.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Iconoclast! Burn the heretic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

why do ya think that is?
    temp already falling now..it hasn't gone beyond 1c all day and past hour or so has dropped to 0c and currently -1c which I would have thought, would increase with the snow and cloud cover

snowing down in lucan again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Im building a big fat snowman called biffo and the kids are going to throw snowballs at him(with rocks in them).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Anyone know what this means...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The air is coming from the south, its warmer, simple as that.
    Maybe some evaporative cooling in the heavier bursts may give me some more snow but at sea level its going to rain or at best sleet from now on.

Janey Mac! Talk about a bloody rollercoaster week :pac: So is the Thursday potential still on the cards?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Do I detect some annoyance or frustration! :D

Snowing still, but lightly. Traffic is absolute chaos already (as reported by the wife - traffic at standstill in Sandyford).

Lol, enjoy what ye have, dont make plans for a snow day tomoorow is all I'm saying :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Anyone know what this means...

It means that Supercell is still getting snowed on.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Do I detect some annoyance or frustration! :D

Snowing still, but lightly. Traffic is absolute chaos already (as reported by the wife - traffic at standstill in Sandyford).

Yep, I think its a little irresponsible as everyone that reads it will take off early while conditions are still bad instead of waiting till later when most of it will have melted and thus be safer on the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

holly1 wrote: »
    Im building a big fat snowman called biffo and the kids are going to throw snowballs at him(with rocks in them).

Put my name on one of 'em, please :D:D

Al.

Confab wrote: »
    It means that Supercell is still getting snowed on.

Lol!, yep, the rainfall total is completely incaccurare, its just snow melt in my rain bucket which is full of snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Temp still 0, DP 0 at Dublin Airport at 4pm. The next batch of precipitation might still fall as snow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hmm the snow shower over us atm hasnt been that good here, only patchly snow for past 25 minutes, blanch etc is getting the much heavier stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Supercell has been quiet accurate up to now,leave him alone.You are my expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

LookingFor wrote: »

Severe weather warning

like what does south and east mean? prefer if they gave regions as opposed to general directions in their warnings like the british metoffice do...the south could mean anywhere(well south of the line from Galway to Dublin)!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

SC, I trust your forecasting by the way. So the Irish Met Office are incompetent?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Snow bucketing it down here at the moment.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Unles you live higher than 300 metres that's going to be rain or sleet at best.
    Temperatures are going to rise overnight, not fall unfortunately.

220 metres about seas level with 5 and a half inches of snow I am confident....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

*grumble* Stupid sunshine....can't find bloody find it in the middle of the summer and now look at it... *grumble*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

Had a heavy snow shower in Swords about an hour ago. Everywhere was lovely and white. Sun is shining now and not a hint of snow...... mad mad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Pity hearing its not likely to fall as snow as new radar looks great for Louth.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Opr

Ha I know exactly what SC is at now...
    reverse psyscology ;)

light sleet here at the moment.

• Advertisement

SC, I trust your forecasting by the way. So the Irish Met Office are incompetent?

No, not at all, it probably was issued long before it appeared on the website.
    I think someone saw heavy snow in Glasnevin and panicked a little and put this out without due diligence.
    Fact of the matter is look at the DP's for Arklow, Waterford, Ashford, the air is coming from those regions and its too warm, I'm just about in the snow zone but not for long and i'm over 200 metres up with deep lying snow already ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement