Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ok.. I'm officially buying a car - wanna help?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭RS6

Great to see this thread back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

That 997 is gorgeous. Rare for 2004 also!

I've actually temporaily lost interest in the search, I can't even drive at the minute. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

MarkN wrote: »
    I've actually temporaily lost interest in the search, I can't even drive at the minute. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about that Mark, hope it's nothing too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

That 997 is very nice. Good Spec too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

God that 997 is being whored around the forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That 997 is gorgeous. Rare for 2004 also!

It's late '04 so just over 4 years old now. Lovely car and great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

That link show 110K as price not 53K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

robtri wrote: »
    That link show 110K as price not 53K

It's 53K plus what Mark is trading in ;)

moleyC wrote: »
    It's 53K plus what Mark is trading in ;)

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ahhhh very tough decision. Apparently the auto Porsche doesn't hurt your balls. (Top Gear for anyone who doesn't know what i'm talking about:pac:).

I would be able to pick between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

GET THE PORSCHE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

For me, the search is over. I saw that blue 997 yesterday, and it is truly, gorgeous.

It even has a 'nice' D plate.

I know 53k is more than 40k, but the M3 will drop in price, quicker, I'd say, so the differential after a while won't be as big.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

If you can stretch to a 911 (or even a newer Cayman or Boxster) go for it.

Going from a 07 335 to a 08 M3 and having to spend €40k is madness IMHO:eek:...

I've voiced anti-German sentiments on here before but most Porsches are truly that little bit special and reading between the lines of past posts I think it's a Porsche you really hanker for:).

galwaytt wrote: »
    For me, the search is over. I saw that blue 997 yesterday, and it is truly, gorgeous.

It even has a 'nice' D plate.

I know 53k is more than 40k, but the M3 will drop in price, quicker, I'd say, so the differential after a while won't be as big.

Couldn't agree more. As pburns said, 40k for going M3 from your car is mad - just wasting money away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

unkel wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. As pburns said, 40k for going M3 from your car is mad - just wasting money away

I personally think that the 911 is worse value for money. I've hated every generation since the introduction of the water-cooled 996 and I longer see it as the definitive Porsche. You'd only be buying it for the sake of having the top model in the range.

The Cayman is a much better balanced and overall better car than the 911 for the money. And now that it is available with an LSD, I can really no longer see any case for stumping up the extra outlay for the above car.

If you want a 911, buy a 993. At least it will be a safe place to put your money.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I personally think that the 911 is worse value for money. I've hated every generation since the introduction of the water-cooled 996 and I longer see it as the definitive Porsche. You'd only be buying it for the sake of having the top model in the range.

The Cayman is a much better balanced and overall better car than the 911 for the money. And now that it is available with an LSD, I can really no longer see any case for stumping up the extra outlay for the above car.

If you want a 911, buy a 993. At least it will be a safe place to put your money.

I used to think like that, and I had a G50 3.2. Boy am I cured of that. Going back and forth from that to the TT I had at the same time was like going from the Spanish Armada to Starship Enterprise. And the TT was damn near as quick, with half the engine capacity. Things have, simply, moved on.

993's are indeed, classics. But they are still small and somewhat unrefined compared to anything that follows, and they are somewhat archaic. Remember, the newest 993 you'll find out there is now 11 years old. And an 11 yr old version of a 30yr old car at that. From a practical point of view, for the commuting etc that MarkN will do, this translates into a huge step backwards from his 335. 993's are, compared to 996/997's expensive to maintain and repair, as well as not fond of commuting. With 13 litres of oil to warm up, it is not fond of shuttling about. If a manual, you'll be buying clutches, too. Weekend/sporting car, absolutely, but a 996 can be used just like any other modern commuting car, and still play Supercar at a moment's notice - easy to drive, reasonable on juice, cheap to service and parts aren't too expensive.

Nothing wrong with 993's in themselves, but I don't think they fit the profile of Mark's use. And 993s are overpriced, whilst the water cooled boxers are, frankly, getting better value by the day - as the other Porsche thread shows......and much and all as I like P cars, there is no way you can say they, or any other, car, is a 'safe place' to put your money.

Buying the newer models because 'You'd only be buying it for the sake of having the top model in the range' is entirely legitimate. It is, after all, what prompted the then-new buyers of the 993's to chop in their old 964's for, after all..........if someone doesn't buy them, new, we can't buy them used. And if the likes of Mark doesn't buy recent ones, used, there's no hope of me getting one when it's 6 yrs old etc, either. Don't try and save the first domino in the chain - we need him!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

hey MarkN - no pressure, huh ? ;)

Ode To The Motorist

I wish my thanks button was still here, cause that was a good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

CianRyan wrote: »
    I wish my thanks button was still here, cause that was a good post.

Lol, what happened it?

• Advertisement

I don't know, it just fecked off somewhere today and hasnt come back.

i'll take a screen shot now and show.

Edit: Link to the pic
    > http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm139/Comebackchild/nothanks.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think you can only thank so many posts a day.

I wish my thanks button was still here, .....

Out of curiousity, who're you trying to thank ?

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt said it all there ^^

The old and outdated 911 was to be replaced by the 928 back in the '70s but Porsche buyers did not want to know

It struggled on and is nicknamed to have made a few widows (this is hearsay) until Porsche got things right with the 997. And what a car that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The 370z is coming out soon, should fall in MN price, I think its stunning looking. Major improvement. Think it looks very like the 280z good thing IMO.

2009_nissan_370z_images_003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The 370z is coming out soon, should fall in MN price, I think its stunning looking. Major improvement. Think it looks very like the 280z good thing IMO.

Well the 240Z was the best-regarded Z-car and indeed this does resemble the early Z-series. Don't think the mass-market badge would do much for the OP though!

It's actually a great example of how you can integrate classic design cues without going all 'retro' like the MINI, Beetle et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

my bad its the 240z.. think youd see a lot less of them about than BMWs etc.. which are all the same at the end of the day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I don't think Mark is too keen on Japanese cars, or anything that isn't German for that matter.

eoin wrote: »
    I think you can only thank so many posts a day.

I thanked like one person that day. :confused:
    galwaytt wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, who're you trying to thank ?

T'was you.

That looks like its going to be great.
    Any idea of what its gonna cost?

Just thought I'd throw a wild card into the mix.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/AC/Cobra/Recreati/200905191678634/advert

• Advertisement

......T'was you...........

:o:o, thank you, thank you, and to all the members of the Academy...I'd also like to thank my Producer Aragh Spelling, the Director, Du Dis, and all the other members of the cast - [sob] - but, most of all - [sob] - my SO, who's stuck with me through thick and thin cars good and bad..[sob] cry2.gif crying.gif ...all I can say, is 'This Ones For Me !" :)

:p:p:p

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement