Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ok.. I'm officially buying a car - wanna help?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,966 ✭✭✭✭unkel

galwaytt wrote: »
    :o:o, thank you, thank you, and to all the members of the Academy...I'd also like to thank my Producer Aragh Spelling, the Director, Du Dis, and all the other members of the cast - [sob] - but, most of all - [sob] - my SO, who's stuck with me through thick and thin cars good and bad..[sob] cry2.gif crying.gif ...all I can say, is 'This Ones For Me !" :)

:p:p:p

Best keep the day job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....I'll get my coat...........[exeunt, stage left.........]

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Had a proper drive in an M3 today... absolutely savage car.

I'm seriously torn now.. can have the M3 by tomorrow evening if I want. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Colour?

Mark - you'd be mad to spend extra to have a car which is a derivative of what you have already.

I dare say, if it was an issue, you could have the 997 tomorrow, too.

Heck, I'd even volunteer to bring it up to ya ! :D

Have you driven a 997 yet, btw ? One way or the other, don't buy either, without driving both !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,966 ✭✭✭✭unkel

galwaytt wrote: »
    Have you driven a 997 yet, btw ? One way or the other, don't buy either, without driving both !

+1

And Mark, you haven't actually driven a Cayman S yet, have you? :pac:

But that 997 ^^^ would do it for me alright...

unkel wrote: »
    +1

And Mark, you haven't actually driven a Cayman S yet, have you? :pac:

But that 997 ^^^ would do it for me alright...

I've driven a few Caymans before my 'incident'.

Driven a 996 911 but in straight line the M3 is in a different world, not the point though either. All great cars just all a bit different in their own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭DirtyOilBurner

How long are you thinking about buying this car mark? Surely there is something you have in your head that you really want? Like one of these cars your considering surely there's one that really does it for you??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

MarkN wrote: »
    Before I start, if you don't have a car suggestion or don't love cars, then don't reply. :D
    • I'm setting a limit of €80,000.
    • It can be no older than 2006 and it can be anywhere between there and 2009.
    • It has to be a coupe (that rules out the M5 and RS4 suggestions!) and it has to be either RWD or AWD.
    • It probably has to be petrol.

What you think lads?

SimmonsDAMN.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

MarkN, have you thought about a new Cayman S since they have dropped prices by nearly €25k on the Boxster, and I presume have done the same with the Cayman?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Mark have you thought about getting a tune for your car? I got one reciently and its like a different machine. Also get the new 31.1 software which fixed to open wastegate lag issue.
    Dinan do a 420 Bhp tune around 4k sterling. SSTT, JB+, JB3. Think about it, 100 extra HP for little spends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

SL55 is definetely the winner, drove a 2004 one in 2004 and they are unreal, the force of the supercherger is unreal! Iv drove an 08 M3 saloon and it wouldnt look at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

markn dont get the m3 unless its the coupe m3, the saloon m3 is just an unattractive car. Its hard to think why you would go for the m3 over the cayman s at the same money. Better performance, nicer interior, sexier looking the porsche etc... unless you have kids and need the two rear seats ?

Another option .... new nissan skyline ? demolished the porsche turbo round the nurburgring!

There's too much of a mess in the Porsche market at the moment with the price reductions.

If they've dropped money off the Boxster they should hurry up and say what they're doing with Caymans and 911s because they're going to have even less people looking at buying until they do.

I could accept that the black Cayman S I looked at hasn't xenons or bluetooth or sat nav (I don't think someone should've been allowed buy one without those bits however!) but I'm certainly not gonna when Porsche could cut 10 or 15% off the price of Caymans and I lose even more than normal.

It's the same with a 07 911 I've been looking at, I don't know what they're going to do with prices.

At least with an M3 that has dropped 40k in a year there's a bit of stability in the price.

Ha - good one - M3 does minus 40% = stability !! :p:p nothing to suggest that rate won't continue !

Rep_Edvard_Munch_The_Scream_Oil_Painting_Art_Prints.jpg

The world is indeed, flat ! :D

Dali%20Persistence%20of%20Time.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

And is the S5 audi quattro ruled out entirely also ?
    Another option..... hold out till the end of the year and wait for an 07 one of these to drop a bit more .... .http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/R8/R-Tronic/200830189446407/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

There's too much of a mess in the Porsche market at the moment with the price reductions.

If they've dropped money off the Boxster they should hurry up and say what they're doing with Caymans and 911s because they're going to have even less people looking at buying until they do.

I could accept that the black Cayman S I looked at hasn't xenons or bluetooth or sat nav (I don't think someone should've been allowed buy one without those bits however!) but I'm certainly not gonna when Porsche could cut 10 or 15% off the price of Caymans and I lose even more than normal.

It's the same with a 07 911 I've been looking at, I don't know what they're going to do with prices.

At least with an M3 that has dropped 40k in a year there's a bit of stability in the price.

have you called the porsche dealer to ask them is the price is coming down for the cayman?

MarkN,

Surely the thing to do would be take a day and go and test drive each of the cars, then make a choice and buy it?? I cant understand how you havent bought one yet, i would be dying to get it..... How much are you looking to get for the 335?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Geoff845

There's not alot of stability in any area at the moment, I've driven a fair few E92 M3's and E60 M5's, the M3 is a better balanced machine, the M5 is too ferocious can be jumpy too changing gears and a bit of a pain in traffic. I'm sure people will tell me I'm mad but until you've driven them properly you wouldnt know. I know it doesnt have the look of the 911 but those Porsches take huge dips in depreciation and getting a decent trade in price is difficult. Servicing can cost a fortune plus there's only 1 main dealer so not many deals on service costs and a machine like that will need main dealer history. They change the models so often as well with various versions. I'm biased towards the M3 as i've worked with them but 4 seats is always handy too. The noise when starting on a cold morning is pretty special too....

• Advertisement

Geoff845 wrote: »
    .......but those Porsches take huge dips in depreciation and getting a decent trade in price is difficult. Servicing can cost a fortune plus there's only 1 main dealer so not many deals on service costs and a machine like that will need main dealer history. ....

....sorry, can't let that pass. See my earlier post on 911 servicing costs - I'll wager they are less than any M car. 996/997 are not that expensive to service, app GPB £395 for a major 24k service, HERE

As for depreciation, OP has already stated, the M3 has lost 40k already. Note exactly beer money........that's like saying it has a half a hole in it, instead of a whole, hole ( :confused: ) ??

If depreciation is an issue, buy a bike - forget cars. A car will depreciate by more than the entire cost of a bike in a single year.

Ode To The Motorist

Lads I made a purchase today...........

I got the M3 from Maxwells!

I did unbelievably well on my cost of change so I decided for me right now it was the best all round option.

It's mental that's the only way I can describe... 120k car for 70k 12 months later, can't argue with that. Pics soon. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

So, after all of that (including nearly getting yourself killed in a test drive with a salesperson with zero talent), you bought an M3?

tut tut........LOL

Best of luck anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Congrats!!

now get the pics up pronto

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the right choice imo. enjoy it mark..

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Congrats on the new motor Mark - Look forward to the pics :D

(I done well to hide my jealousy here :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Congrats Markn. Hope your enjoying it!!

Best of luck :D

Bet the sales man not driving you in the test drive was the clincher!
    Lucky Bloke wouldn't mind being in your position! Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Is it the one with the WW reg?? :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Fair play - Cracking Car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

(including nearly getting yourself killed in a test drive with a salesperson with zero talent)
    That's a pretty stupid thing for you to say, TBH - as far as I know, you weren't in the car?

Congrats on the new car, MarkN.

Advertisement