Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ok.. I'm officially buying a car - wanna help?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

MarkN wrote: »
    Nice write up in the Irish Times motoring section today about the newly tweaked Cayman S.

The tweaked Cayman is getting good reviews alright. But in future I wouldn't rely too heavily on what the Irish Times Motoring section say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

VolvoMan wrote: »
    The tweaked Cayman is getting good reviews alright. But in future I wouldn't rely too heavily on what the Irish Times Motoring section say.

Sounds like he just read the review from the current EVO mag, I wonder did he even go over to spain for the launch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

Nice write up in the Irish Times motoring section today about the newly tweaked Cayman S.

The Cayman looks wayyyyyy toooo Ghay.
    Like think of the signals you'll be giving all the lovlies climbing out of that car.
    When all is said and done,its not a 911.WRONG car imho. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The Cayman looks wayyyyyy toooo Ghay.
    Like think of the signals you'll be giving all the lovlies climbing out of that car.
    When all is said and done,its not a 911.WRONG car imho. :pac:

Don't be silly please.

Biro wrote: »
    Don't be silly please.

no, its all about image.
    Its not a 911,it looks like a sudo911 for a footballers WAG.
    Smaller,easier to park,more feminine.
    The OP does not want to spend 80k on a poor relation to the kingpin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

He has a point you know. Every one will either call him a hairdresser, or say he must not have been able to afford the real deal.....

Audi A5 TDi to win in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

no, its all about image.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back to the sunbed with you. This is where we talk about substance and performance over style.

He has a point you know. Every one will either call him a hairdresser, or say he must not have been able to afford the real deal.....

Audi A5 TDi to win in my opinion.

I'm not wrong.
    Face it,0 to 60's and top bhp's is feck all good to you if you look like Dale Winton going around one.
    The A5 would be good,but why change from a 335 to an A5?

bigkev49 wrote: »

Back to the sunbed with you. This is where we talk about substance and performance over style.

Really?, see post above.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Really?, see post above.
    :D

See 7 previous pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

If you're that caught up on what other people think about your car you'd never buy one.

I don't buy into poor mans anything either, the money I'm talking will buy either car.

I've never in my life seen a woman driving a Cayman and if you'd driven one you wouldn't come out with such negative BS about it.

I would imagine that "style" is just as important as performance and substance.

I.E. you could have the worlds best handling car, that beats a 911 Turbo off the line, but it could look like a Nissan Micra.

Would you buy that car or something that is a little slower, perhaps doesnt handle as well, but it means you wont be laughed at at every set of traffic lights or car park...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Yeah but the OP said he would only drive a D reg ;)

Either way it looks like Porsche are finally putting the 911 to bed by developing their newer cars with have better dynamics. There is little question that the Caymen (with a LSD) would be superior to a 911 Carrera or S around a track or on a twisty road. Why would you buy a 911 if you could buy a faster, more managable, more economical and cheaper to buy Porsche.

The only advantages the 911 range has are better traction from a standstill and the useless rear seats.

If you're that caught up on what other people think about your car you'd never buy one.

Mark,

Im not taking the p*ss here, but at the start of this thread you said you would only drive a D reg car.

Is it not really the same thing then?

You wont drive anything other than a D reg, but your not bothered about what other people think. So why not drive a C reg then?

Ferris wrote: »
    Yeah but the OP said he would only drive a D reg ;)

I really don't get what's so hard to swallow about this?

I'm from Dublin, I live in Dublin, I want to look at buying a prestige car, you don't generally see any of them with any other reg than Dublin and any dealer I've spoken to about the issue would have the same view that it is an important factor when selling on that type of vehicle.

You'll just as easily get a Cork person that doesn't want a Dublin reg.. it's really not that difficult to get.

I don't have a problem with people outside of Dublin, I've had girlfriends from outside of Dublin, I like going away for the weekend out of Dublin, I just want to drive a car, from Dublin!!??

I'm from Dublin, I live in Dublin, I want to look at buying a prestige car, you don't generally see any of them with any other reg than Dublin and any dealer I've spoken to about the issue would have the same view that it is an important factor when selling on that type of vehicle.

You'll just as easily get a Cork person that doesn't want a Dublin reg.. it's really not that difficult to get.

I don't have a problem with people outside of Dublin, I've had girlfriends from outside of Dublin, I like going away for the weekend out of Dublin, I just want to drive a car, from Dublin!!??

nothing wrong with that.

I can see where the OP is coming from, but if i were buying a car, i would not rule out every other reg. Not only do you rule out alot of options, but you quite possibly could rule out the best deal of your life too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭mountain

Hi OP,

since we got the auld ESB in the country things have been great, and sure maybe in a few years some people from Dublin, may sell off their old "prestige" cars to us,
    and we really appreciate you coming down to visit at weekends as well, but you must be glad to get back to the "bright lights".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Get a Dublin sticker ?? seems to work where im from..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've had girlfriends from outside of Dublin, I like going away for the weekend out of Dublin, I just want to drive a car, from Dublin!!??

The cars not from dublin, its registered in Dublin does that give you some sort of wedge in the trousers dept. FFS get a life!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Christ Almighty, why is this thread attracting so many fools. It works on a very simple basis, if you don't have anything worth while to input, don't click the Post Reply button. FFS

Why you've made the word in bold I've no idea whatsoever but would you not go off and post where someone wants to read that sh1te? This thread is about cars.

I think this thread has gone as far as it can anyway, there's been some great help and I thank all of you that have contributed something worthwhile, I appreciate it takes time to sit down and give some stranger your 2c.

I'm gonna look at many of the options here away from the 911/Cayman idea and see what works and doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Hey no offence, hence the smiley. I was just illustrating the point that the image you wanted to portray is important.

I'm from Dublin too but I wouldn't care about the county the car was registered in, especially if it came in the way of the right car.

None taken, just the question has come up a lot so wanted to explain my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Maybe I'll go out and buy something safe to ride through the recession like an A5 2.0T but either way I want to get out of having the "wrong car" in a time like this.
    I was hoping to stretch it over 5 years.
    I'd just feel too out of my depth in an Aston Martin at the moment.

I'm a normal guy at the end of the day, a normal enough job

I can see this turning into a "Look at my new Golf GTI thread"

After looking through your replied I thin you'd be mad to get rid of your current car which you've lost 40k on already!

What year is the 335? I'm guessing it's petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

If the guy is from Dublin and wanted to show this, he buys a D reg. Or, if he wants a car easier to sell on, likewise.. I'd do the same- when I brought my car in from the UK i made sure I got a D reg with this in mind.
    My first car was a CE reg, and all I got were peoples anecdotes about the great time they had in clare, how's things in clare, etc etc..
    It's not snobby or elitist at all, and it's such a petty thing to be getting in a twist over... If that's what the OP wants I can more than understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

If the guy is from Dublin and wanted to show this, he buys a D reg. Or, if he wants a car easier to sell on, likewise.. I'd do the same- when I brought my car in from the UK i made sure I got a D reg with this in mind.
    My first car was a CE reg, and all I got were peoples anecdotes about the great time they had in clare, how's things in clare, etc etc..
    It's not snobby or elitist at all, and it's such a petty thing to be getting in a twist over... If that's what the OP wants I can more than understand.

steve06 wrote: »
    I can see this turning into a "Look at my new Golf GTI thread"

After looking through your replied I thin you'd be mad to get rid of your current car which you've lost 40k on already!

LOL. I've thought about it before I started this thread.

Limerick Man it's petrol and it's 2007.

• Advertisement

Any pics of it?

Advertisement