Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs that pay way too much for the work done

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Alicat wrote: »
    Load of cr@p. One week of Ronaldo's wages is what some poor bugger struggles to earn in 3/4 years. And the same poor bugger can't even earn that now cause of all the job cuts.

Edit, actually he gets what £120k per week? So that could be 5 or even 6 years of some guys pay. A guy who's trying to feed himself and his family and keep a roof over their head.

That's a nice story, but unrelated to the topic of footballers. Clearly the soccer teams feel they get anough value from footballers to warrant this pay, otherwise they wouldn't pay them as much.
    brim4brim wrote: »
    No they aren't. Would you trust a train with nobody in control?

Of course, I would. I'd be much happier than letting some hungover eejit drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Anyone who doesnt have correct education for their position held - ie dolesville

And for the accountants cooking the books in Anglo , name and shame.
    Its not fair that a particular sector is tarred with same brush due to rotten apples e.g. clergy, taxi drivers, public sector ee's, buliders, plumbers, shop keepers and on and on etc etc
    There are alot of people who work hard at their job and at education. Unfortuately, these are the poor sods (i.e. me) that gets hit when the sh*t crosses the fan (redundancies, pay cuts etc)

Overpaid - anyone who had let this crap get out of hand. McGowan and the current government should get off their SUV encrusted clouds and rejoin reality. Go talk to people in the dole queue today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Slumdog

Footballers are adequately paid. They generate enough revenue to make their wages worth it and that's what counts.

I'd say half the world has played football and only five or six hundred reach the premiership. They're top of their game and are paid accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

they maybe be overpaid which they are but the less time they spend in the dail the less damage they can do.

great post:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Donny5 wrote: »

Of course, I would. I'd be much happier than letting some hungover eejit drive.

DLR in London has no driver and hasn't killed anyone yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

DLR in London has no driver and hasn't killed anyone yet

good one !!

' for those disembarking in manulla, please make your way up to the front of the train'

are we disembarking ? no we're getting off.

heard dis conv.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Donny5 wrote: »
    That's a nice story, but unrelated to the topic of footballers. Clearly the soccer teams feel they get anough value from footballers to warrant this pay, otherwise they wouldn't pay them as much.

No they pay them that much cause the whole world of "celebrity" has gotten totally out of hand and some eejit keeps raising the bar in regards to how much money these "celebrities" are worth. It's not about the game anymore. If the soccer teams are stupid enough to pay them that extortionate amount of money, there's not much I can do about it, but I still think of it as a ridiculously stupid amount of money to waste.

Going back to the Ronaldo example, he crashes a brand new £200k Ferrari and within 2 weeks he's got enough cash to buy another one? :confused:

It's f*cking insane!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Going back to the Ronaldo example, he crashes a brand new £200k Ferrari and within 2 weeks he's got enough cash to buy another one? :confused:

It's f*cking insane!!

If he's worth that much to the club then fair enough IMO.

Simple economics. The club starts making lots of money, the players are entitled to their cut.

Sean_K wrote: »
    If he's worth that much to the club then fair enough IMO.

Simple economics. The club starts making lots of money, the players are entitled to their cut.

And f*ck everyone else, right?

I think it's sick that people around me are losing their jobs left, right and centre and eejits like that are being paid to kick a football around.

And f*ck everyone else, right?

I think it's sick that people around me are losing their jobs left, right and centre and eejits like that are being paid to kick a football around.

Well could you show your employer that you're worth €120,000 a week? I doubt it.

He can. The quality of a club's footballers has a pretty direct impact on the clubs earnings.

He probably pays a hell of a lot more taxes than most people. In fact he probably pays more tax in a year than many people do in their lives.

/edit: Have a read of this: http://www.9types.com/chatboard/messages/20148.html. It's very good.

• Advertisement

Well could you show your employer that you're worth €120,000 a week? I doubt it.

He can. The quality of a club's footballers has a pretty direct impact on the clubs earnings.

He probably pays a hell of a lot more taxes than most people. In fact he probably pays more tax in a year than many people do in their lives.

To be honest, I'd say what's left over is plenty??? :confused:

Edit: I get what you're saying with that link but he's not even doing anything worth that amount of money! :confused: He's not saving lives, he's doing what the kids do in my local park every Sunday!

Edit: I get what you're saying with that link but he's not even doing anything worth that amount of money! :confused: He's not saving lives, he's doing what the kids do in my local park every Sunday!
    Look at the value he brings to the club.

Ticket sales, sponsors etc. The money is immense. Why would he or should he stay with a club that wont pay him what he is worth. Would you rather the club just pocketed the difference between what he's paid and what you think he should be paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

To be honest, I'd say what's left over is plenty??? :confused:

I'm fairly certain he's doing it a hell of alot better than those kids. Which is why he's paid so much.

It's fairly simple, he's put in the time, effort and training to use his natural talent to the fullest, he deserves what he's getting paid.
    Also you forget to factor in that these players don't have a very long career by most people standards, maybe 10-12 years tops.

Look at the value he brings to the club.

Ticket sales, sponsors etc. The money is immense. Why would he or should he stay with a club that wont pay him what he is worth. Would you rather the club just pocketed the difference between what he's paid and what you think he should be paid?

If he's been getting that money so far, he's hardly gonna go somewhere for less money. I'm guessing he's kinda liking his situation right now moneywise! He has it easy!

Sure how would I be able to put an exact amount on what he should be paid? I'm not involved in a football club, I don't pretend to be that involved in economics that I would be able to throw figures at you to justify what I think he should be paid. It is just my opinion that he gets far too much money for a job that requires little skill beyond what the local teenagers do in their spare time.

There's no magic answer, ideally the club would put the excess money back into the local community and keep the economy going. Of course they wouldn't though, they'd just keep it for themselves. As more and more "little people" lose their jobs, there's gonna be less and less money spent on things like football matches and then everyone is screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

/edit: Have a read of this: http://www.9types.com/chatboard/messages/20148.html. It's very good.

Too true...I don't begrudge consultants/doctors/footballers what they earn.
    I do begrudge politicians for the money they earn and the crap value we get in return.
    For instance- Kaka gets 500,000 a week (300,000 after tax)- That's £15 million he's paying in tax each year.
    Now as a result of signing Kaka City qualify for CL and make a few million on shirts. That's nearly his signing fee back already to the club. In which case he is worth the money he's paid.
    Same for doctors etc who study for 10+ years and work crap hours while training..I think they're work every penny.

But is Brian Cowen worth €250,000 a year? The highest paid PM in Europe??
    Not a bloody chance and neither are the rest of the gimps in the dail.

I'm fairly certain he's doing it a hell of alot better than those kids. Which is why he's paid so much.

It's fairly simple, he's put in the time, effort and training to use his natural talent to the fullest, he deserves what he's getting paid.
    Also you forget to factor in that these players don't have a very long career by most people standards, maybe 10-12 years tops.

Those kids were never given the option to spend most of their youth practising and training their football skills and get paid for it. I'm sure there's quite a few people who could become just as good as him given half the chance. He's good at football, I wouldn't ever dispute that. However, I still don't think it justifies the amount of money he gets for it.

I think club sports like football are important in any community and people still need to be entertained, but it could be done for a lot less money.

Too true...I don't begrudge consultants/doctors/footballers what they earn.
    I do begrudge politicians for the money they earn and the crap value we get in return.
    For instance- Kaka gets 500,000 a week (300,000 after tax)- That's £15 million he's paying in tax each year.
    Now as a result of signing Kaka City qualify for CL and make a few million on shirts. That's nearly his signing fee back already to the club. In which case he is worth the money he's paid.
    Same for doctors etc who study for 10+ years and work crap hours while training..I think they're work every penny.

But is Brian Cowen worth €250,000 a year? The highest paid PM in Europe??
    Not a bloody chance and neither are the rest of the gimps in the dail.

I really don't think footballers and doctors should be compared so closely. As I said before, entertainment is important but when people are dying on trolleys in the A&E corridors, f*ck the footballers/celebrities.

However, in regards to Brian Cowen and the rest of those idiots, I totally agree. For them to be getting that much money, the country should not be in the state it is now.

I really don't think footballers and doctors should be compared so closely. As I said before, entertainment is important but when people are dying on trolleys in the A&E corridors, f*ck the footballers/celebrities.

I think you're letting emotions cloud the issue.

Cloud the issue that footballers/celebreties are overpaid?

I'm not, I'm talking about money being wasted. Wasted on footballers/celebrities when it could be used far more efficiently saving lives among other things. Hardly think that's "letting emotions cloud the issue." In fact, I think it's actually quite important.

I'm not talking about puppies dying. It's people. It's your mother, my father, your best friend, my boyfriend. Forgive me if that's too "emotional" to be factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

People need to realise we live in a capitalist society. I for one am glad of this.

Everyone has the right to legally make as much money as they can. Society and economics will determine the cap, not sentiment. while I can understand some anger (though majority is still begrudgery) at public sector jobs not for the private sector. football clubs are businesses and people are paid according toa business model.

I would gladly go up to the Glazers and say I would play every week for free instead of a top player saving them over 5 million a year, and then get 10 mates to do the same.

I would be politely told no way. Simply bacause the 50 million I save them in wages would probably lose them 500million a year in income.

• Advertisement

Compak wrote: »
    People need to realise we live in a capitalist society. I for one am glad of this.

Everyone has the right to legally make as much money as they can. Society and economics will determine the cap, not sentiment. while I can understand some anger (though majority is still begrudgery) at public sector jobs not for the private sector. football clubs are businesses and people are paid according toa business model.

I don't mind admitting it's a lot of begrudgery on my part, bitterness too! But it's not because I want a Ferrari or to have millions in the bank. I just don't think my grandparents should have to sit on a trolley in a hospital corridor for days on end just to be seen by a doctor. And I would like to think that should I fall ill and require serious medical attention that those resources would be available to me as soon as possible.

It just makes me angry to think of all the money wasted. And I don't know an awful lot about economics, never did it in school or college so I'm sure someone could rip every one of my arguments apart with figures and percentages etc etc but all I know is what important in my life and the lives of those around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

RATM wrote: »
    One was train drivers. Fairly responsible job but one of the lads said a cousin of his does it and freely admits that the €50k p.a. he gets paid is waaaay too much for the level of skill and training involved. He just sits there and pulls a few levers/ presses a few buttons all day.
    Don't forget knocking people over. Lots of people see trains as suicide places. Heck, some are fouind with letters saying "sorry" to the train driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm neither a doctor or a footballer, but can see they are ridiculously overpiad.

It's basically a new religion.
    People worship teams and players and hand over cash to them. They also have a hatred of other religions (read teams).

Meh. Whatever floats your boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

the_syco wrote: »
    Don't forget knocking people over. Lots of people see trains as suicide places. Heck, some are fouind with letters saying "sorry" to the train driver!

I agree that the train driver has it tough if people decide to jump in front of them, but the family of the suicidee should be made pay compensation instead, like they do in Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

tilers; tilers make 3-4 hundred a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

The whole advertisement industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tigger wrote: »
    tilers; tilers make 3-4 hundred a day
    Not true.

At the height of the boom we did, but that's gone now.

It also depends on the job you were doing.
    Site work paid less because you were always held up by other tradesmen (mostly plumbers). It was easier though because when you had everything ready, there was nothing in your way and you could get a lot done in less time.

On a half decent job, you could do a bathroom (~€800) in two days, but that would be two people and the money was split. The first day is usually spent preparing the job and telling people that they do not have enough tiles or adhesive because they measured it themselves and sales reps in tile shops are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

julep wrote: »
    The first day is usually spent preparing the job and telling people that they do not have enough tiles or adhesive because they measured it themselves and sales reps in tile shops are idiots.

this is so true its funny

the amount of people who come in with tile / timber / carpet measurments from shops that are massivally wrong is laughable

i think its cos they like to give cheaper quotes

"what do you mean waste i don't want any waste the man in the shop said it was only 15 sq meters"

was told on saturday the 2.5 sq m is 8 ft by 8 ft because yer man in woodies said it was i assume because 8 feet is around 2.5 meters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Painters, I forgot about them, Couple of ton to paint a few walls. Id sooner do it myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't mind admitting it's a lot of begrudgery on my part, bitterness too! But it's not because I want a Ferrari or to have millions in the bank. I just don't think my grandparents should have to sit on a trolley in a hospital corridor for days on end just to be seen by a doctor. And I would like to think that should I fall ill and require serious medical attention that those resources would be available to me as soon as possible.

It just makes me angry to think of all the money wasted. And I don't know an awful lot about economics, never did it in school or college so I'm sure someone could rip every one of my arguments apart with figures and percentages etc etc but all I know is what important in my life and the lives of those around me.

You can't compare Celebrities to the current health crisis(although its not really current).

Doctors and Medical consultants are paid extortionate amounts of money in Ireland because they have full control over who becomes a doctor and who doesn't. For years they have been deliberately keeping numbers down driving demand and wages up. The backlog is cleared by the lucky few who are allowed to start off and after years of being completely overworked most have no intention of letting the money they worked so hard for go, so they perpetuate the problem.

On the other hand celebrities get paid in accordance to how much money they can make. Its not their fault that simply by doing something they can earn more then a doctor, its society's fault for allowing individuals to be so much in demand. I don't believe in the hype, I don't watch professional sports where they earn more then a family in a week and I refuse to read or watch about anybody's wedding or new baby.

Advertisement