Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs that pay way too much for the work done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Doctors and Medical consultants are paid extortionate amounts of money in Ireland because they have full control over who becomes a doctor and who doesn't. For years they have been deliberately keeping numbers down driving demand and wages up.

The government, not the "Doctors and Medical consultants", put a cap on the amount of EU medical graduates from irish Universities in the 80's as it was costing too much to train them in those recessionary times. It had nothing to do with demand and wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

You can't compare Celebrities to the current health crisis(although its not really current).

Doctors and Medical consultants are paid extortionate amounts of money in Ireland because they have full control over who becomes a doctor and who doesn't. For years they have been deliberately keeping numbers down driving demand and wages up. The backlog is cleared by the lucky few who are allowed to start off and after years of being completely overworked most have no intention of letting the money they worked so hard for go, so they perpetuate the problem.

On the other hand celebrities get paid in accordance to how much money they can make. Its not their fault that simply by doing something they can earn more then a doctor, its society's fault for allowing individuals to be so much in demand. I don't believe in the hype, I don't watch professional sports where they earn more then a family in a week and I refuse to read or watch about anybody's wedding or new baby.

I didn't say I had an answer for it, I said it annoyed and angered me to see the celebrities/footballers getting so much money, while areas such as the Health Service are so messed up. I don't feel that it would be as simple as the celebrities just handing over some the money they earned, if that's the impression my posts are giving.

And I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of exactly why the country is in as bad a state as it is today. As another poster said, it is merely my begrudgery of these people who earn so much money for what I feel is a ridiculous 'job' while 'normal' people struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

You can't compare Celebrities to the current health crisis(although its not really current).

Doctors and Medical consultants are paid extortionate amounts of money in Ireland because they have full control over who becomes a doctor and who doesn't. For years they have been deliberately keeping numbers down driving demand and wages up. The backlog is cleared by the lucky few who are allowed to start off and after years of being completely overworked most have no intention of letting the money they worked so hard for go, so they perpetuate the problem.

How does that work?

I would LOVE extra doctors!!!!

I'm pretty much burned out by the hospital system, and that is pretty muh exclusively due to overwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

sillymoo wrote: »
    The government, not the "Doctors and Medical consultants", put a cap on the amount of EU medical graduates from irish Universities in the 80's as it was costing too much to train them in those recessionary times. It had nothing to do with demand and wages.

Then why during boom times times did we still see a huge demand for doctors, wages increasing as a result and still limited numbers being trained in. If the population is increasing then by proxy a need for more doctors will arise.

The average wage in the British medical system is far lower. Is this because of the willingness to bring in Foreign doctors and training facilities provided or simply because its run better?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tallaght01 wrote: »
    How does that work?

I would LOVE extra doctors!!!!

I'm pretty much burned out by the hospital system, and that is pretty muh exclusively due to overwork.

Pretty easy. Invest in more training, open up the training to above average students rather then exceptional ones and weed out the weaker candidates at levels further then secondary school taking advantage of greater numbers provided. In a number of years, workload will go down from the extra hands and wages will drop as a result of direct competition within the industry. THe problem lies with the large wages already being paid, limiting funding to new doctors training and wages.

Its a stupid situation and one we as a country should never have been allowed enter.

As a short term solution we could open our arms to doctors from country's with good medical backgrounds like India and get them to enter the country and compete for current consultant roles within the HSE. For reduced wages I'm sure many would agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Yea but how do doctors control all that?

In the UK docs are paid less, but their system is dreadful. So paycuts are not neccesarily the answer.

I would love more docs. But doctors don't control the university intake as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The government are a joke when it comes to the health care system in Ireland. They have had ample opportunity over the years to get it right and it is now worse than it ever is and now their finances are fecked. They need to totally overhaul the system and people are going to have to accept that they need to pay more into it. Tax is very low in Ireland, plenty of scope to raise the tax to fund the health care system. I pay 15% of my salary into the health system as does everyone else in Germany and it shows. You will get looked after straight away with excellent doctors and no waiting around. As the old adage goes, you get out what you put in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

jester77 wrote: »
    The government are a joke when it comes to the health care system in Ireland. They have had ample opportunity over the years to get it right and it is now worse than it ever is and now their finances are fecked. They need to totally overhaul the system and people are going to have to accept that they need to pay more into it. Tax is very low in Ireland, plenty of scope to raise the tax to fund the health care system. I pay 15% of my salary into the health system as does everyone else in Germany and it shows. You will get looked after straight away with excellent doctors and no waiting around. As the old adage goes, you get out what you put in!

i appreciate what your saying but what works in germany wont nessceserily work here in cynical little ireland

were the goverment to raise taxes another 10 % for the sole purpose of improoving the health service, all that would happen is , large numbers of administrators who just happend to know local politicians would get job in the local hospital regardless of whethere they were surplus to requirements or not , the problem in this country with our health service is not that its underfunded , its that the funds are not directed to where they should be , everything that happens in the health service is political , surplus to requirment pen pushers dont loose thier job because that would mean johnny fianna fail would stand to loose a housefull of votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

BER assessors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

cooperguy wrote: »
    No it stands for tax. But would you like to know the percentage VAT charged on food? Its 0% so as you can see that is a huge chunk of their income

There are three tax bands for food, and they're not all 0% (that's why they divided them into three distinct bands- they're smart like that). In addition there are taxes applied to restaurant meals. Even the unemployed occasionally eat out. But I guess you already knew that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Then why during boom times times did we still see a huge demand for doctors, wages increasing as a result and still limited numbers being trained in. If the population is increasing then by proxy a need for more doctors will arise.

Wages were not increased due to demand for doctors! Yes the demand for doctors is high. Thats why a 3 years ago the first Graduate Entry Programme for training doctors was started and these new doctors graduate in 2010.

As for opening medicine up for the average student? This year entry into medicine will be based on a combined score of the Leaving Cert points and points from the HPAT aptitude test. This is a move by the Department of Education to bring the points down. The government also planned to increase the number of undergraduate places but I dont know where that stands now due to the recession.

The system in UK is as bad if not worse than here. Wages in general in most sectors are less than here. The situation you have in the UK now is that you have more doctors coming out the the universities than intern places and these new doctors struggle to get a job. Might go the same way here. Who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

tallaght01 wrote: »

In the UK docs are paid less, but their system is dreadful. So paycuts are not neccesarily the answer.

Can't believe you just said that.

In the UK, if you are sick, they do not charge you for admission no matter what your income is and their A&E ain't as bad as here, you will not wait several hours on a trolley to be seen.
    We have people going abroad to get treated so their lives be saved as our system is that bad. (case of Donegal woman comes to mind, she went to NI to get a cancer test and was diagnosed straight away, down here she would of been dead by the time she was diagnosed.)

Consutants are overpaid on €250,00 a year. They will not get that wage anywhere else in Euroland, same for doctors. If they did get a paycut, more frontline staff would be hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

eh.. lets see..
    THE GOVERNMENT OF THIS COUNTRY...

The esb
    Consultants
    Soccer players
    the city councils

etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

To be honest, pharmacists couldn't be replaced with computers. It's not as simple as look at the prescription, look at the BNF, Martindale and Stockley and see any doses/cautions/warnings/interactions etc. Have you seen the lengths of the lists of SEs etc in each of those texts? Pharmacists commonly have to speak to customers and help with risk/benefit decisions. Also pharmacists give so much advice that can't just be given to people if it was a computer. For the most part, if you have someone in your family who takes a lot of medicines or has a few medical complaints and you ask them do they think pharmacists are overpaid most of them would say no. The amount of people who say to the pharmacists where I work how invaluable they are is enough to make me feel justified defending the profession.

And out of interest, salaries for newly qualified pharmacists qualifying this December has been projected to be almost half of last years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

And out of interest, salaries for newly qualified pharmacists qualifying this December has been projected to be almost half of last years

Woohoo. Finally some sense is finding it's way to this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Alicat wrote: »
    I said it annoyed and angered me to see the celebrities/footballers getting so much money
    They get so much money, as the public give it to their sponsors.

=-=

I just don't like/see the point of the administrators. There seems to be an endless supply of them, earning lots of money, and their job seems to be justifying the amount of money that they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Pretty easy. Invest in more training, open up the training to above average students rather then exceptional ones and weed out the weaker candidates at levels further then secondary school taking advantage of greater numbers provided. In a number of years, workload will go down from the extra hands and wages will drop as a result of direct competition within the industry. THe problem lies with the large wages already being paid, limiting funding to new doctors training and wages.

Its a stupid situation and one we as a country should never have been allowed enter.

As a short term solution we could open our arms to doctors from country's with good medical backgrounds like India and get them to enter the country and compete for current consultant roles within the HSE. For reduced wages I'm sure many would agree.

But we allow EU doctors over to work. I dont see them flocking over since we pay so much over the odds. How about the monoploy in England where anyone thats not English has to pass an extra exam to practise despite the EU saying they have equal accreditation?

Eglinton wrote: »
    Woohoo. Finally some sense is finding it's way to this island.

How does it make sense? What is this projected half wage?

It appears a lot of people here would like a universal wage for everyone. From what I have read not one profession deserves a higher wage over another.

the_syco wrote: »
    They get so much money, as the public give it to their sponsors.

Again, I didn't have any suggestions on how to fix it realistically, it just annoys me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 UncleBen

Music Tuition

Considering some private teachers charge 100e/per hour and have no intention of paying tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Compak wrote: »
    It appears a lot of people here would like a universal wage for everyone. From what I have read not one profession deserves a higher wage over another.

That's communism boy, an' we don't take kindly to reds 'round these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

How does it make sense? What is this projected half wage?

€37,500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Tigger wrote: »
    was told on saturday the 2.5 sq m is 8 ft by 8 ft because yer man in woodies said it was i assume because 8 feet is around 2.5 meters

Erm.. what is it then?

€37,500

Really?

A top-end Technician can get that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

UncleBen wrote: »
    Music Tuition

Considering some private teachers charge 100e/per hour and have no intention of paying tax!

Music is considered an art in this country, traditional music, a cultural art. This is why there is no tax imposed on music lessons.

Music teachers go through years of intense classical training, years of practicing for hours each day perfecting their technique, to express the music in the way it was written - just as was the intention of the composer. To teach music under an academy, rigorous diploma training and intense examinations are undertaken from when you start training at a young age and every year until you complete your diploma. This I have been through.

It also results in many injuries like carpel tunnel or repetitive strain injury. This I have also been through.

It's up to a tutor what they decide to charge, but there are guidelines set out by the academy which you teach under and these are followed by all tutors to an extent. A great music tutor, with a fine knowledge of music and a good aptitude to teaching will make many more great musicians and tutors.

€37,500

Pharmacist one of the hardest courses to get into and complete. Crappy hours and often crappy job getting the inudtrial wage.

Or take Bsc Pharm science do hdip and get into a private school (would love a pharmacist on staff for chemistry) then get 50 grand ayear and 4 mths off a year, and finish work at 4 instead of 9 at night. Then become a year head, extra 10 grand. all that free time teach a sport extra ten grand. Yup pharmacists get paid way too much.

Also 50% was a vast exaggeration, The most recent suggestion was a 9-15% drop, plus from figure I have used 75grand is often reserved for the supervisor though I know others get it in busy shops.

That's communism boy, an' we don't take kindly to reds 'round these parts.

Thats what I was implying. Point is people dont know what we want. Typical Irish and why we are the shame of europe. Instead of bettering ourselves we would prefer everyone to suffer to feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Or take Bsc Pharm science do hdip and get into a private school (would love a pharmacist on staff for chemistry) then get 50 grand ayear and 4 mths off a year, and finish work at 4 instead of 9 at night. Then become a year head, extra 10 grand. all that free time teach a sport extra ten grand. Yup pharmacists get paid way too much.

What schools pay 50 grand unless you've been teaching for 15 odd years? Private schools here, dont pay the teachers the government does (Grind schools are an exception) so I dont know where this is coming from..........

(I could be wrong)

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    What schools pay 50 grand unless you've been teaching for 15 odd years? Private schools here, dont pay the teachers the government does (Grind schools are an exception) so I dont know where this is coming from..........

(I could be wrong)

I wrote the exact same post as this then decided I couldn't be arsed and deleted it

but you're right on every point!

Advertisement