Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs that pay way too much for the work done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

...and finish work at 4 instead of 9 at night...

Teachers may leave the school at 4, but they spend hours at home preparing lessons and marking work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

jester77 wrote: »
    The government are a joke when it comes to the health care system in Ireland. They have had ample opportunity over the years to get it right and it is now worse than it ever is and now their finances are fecked. They need to totally overhaul the system and people are going to have to accept that they need to pay more into it.

I hear what you're saying but spending was trebled and it's still fecked.
    I want to see value for money before that budget is ever increased again.

The money is there, it's not being spent on the front-line and where it's needed like certain new schemes
    And I think Mary Harney will get it there someday! But it's gonna takes years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 UncleBen

Music is considered an art in this country, traditional music, a cultural art. This is why there is no tax imposed on music lessons.

Music teachers go through years of intense classical training, years of practicing for hours each day perfecting their technique, to express the music in the way it was written - just as was the intention of the composer. To teach music under an academy, rigorous diploma training and intense examinations are undertaken from when you start training at a young age and every year until you complete your diploma. This I have been through.

It also results in many injuries like carpel tunnel or repetitive strain injury. This I have also been through.

It's up to a tutor what they decide to charge, but there are guidelines set out by the academy which you teach under and these are followed by all tutors to an extent. A great music tutor, with a fine knowledge of music and a good aptitude to teaching will make many more great musicians and tutors.

I've also been through this system and believe that if you study in a conservatory or under a well-trained private tutor lessons are worth every cent of what you pay.

However, I can't condone those who charge exhorbant amounts and simply aren't qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

To be honest, pharmacists couldn't be replaced with computers. It's not as simple as look at the prescription, look at the BNF, Martindale and Stockley and see any doses/cautions/warnings/interactions etc. Have you seen the lengths of the lists of SEs etc in each of those texts? Pharmacists commonly have to speak to customers and help with risk/benefit decisions. Also pharmacists give so much advice that can't just be given to people if it was a computer. For the most part, if you have someone in your family who takes a lot of medicines or has a few medical complaints and you ask them do they think pharmacists are overpaid most of them would say no. The amount of people who say to the pharmacists where I work how invaluable they are is enough to make me feel justified defending the profession.

And out of interest, salaries for newly qualified pharmacists qualifying this December has been projected to be almost half of last years

They could, and easily too. In fact, I'd say now that retail pharmacists are entirely unnecessary in this day and age. Your GP should be doing everything apart from giving you the medication. We could afford my GPs if pharmacists were done away with (and I do mean executed). However, before I'd launch into pharmacists, I'll like to cull the administrative staff of the HSE greatly.
    the_syco wrote: »
    They get so much money, as the public give it to their sponsors.

=-=

I just don't like/see the point of the administrators. There seems to be an endless supply of them, earning lots of money, and their job seems to be justifying the amount of money that they need.

I agree, administrators complecate the job at hand. The amount of work expands to meet the resources available to complete it.
    realcam wrote: »
    Erm.. what is it then?

Although 1 square meter equals 1 meter squared, 2 square meters does not equal 2 meters squared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The legal profession - when you consider what they actually do they are massively overpaid. Total monoply no competition.

Train Drivers I'd agree with - a reasonably awake 15 year old could be a train driver after probably 15 mins training.

Chemists/Pharmacists - I don't understand why they get paid so much. All they seem to do is read doctors' perscriptions and hand over drugs. A monkey could do this.

They have to know what drugs can be mixed with what and which can't.

Very responsible job. Shows how little you know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

Fad wrote: »
    Teachers are NOT overpaid, (PE maybe, but there are very few teachers who only take PE).

PE in second level is just supervised sport, I dont really see the your problem, its not like you needed to be shown how to play football..........
    Teachers are overpaid because they only work 167 days a year.They get paid for staying at home half the year.Once again,only in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

€37,500

That's the projected 50%? Dear Lord. So you're sayin Pharmacy graduates could expect to get 75K upon graduation i.e. the same as a post primary teacher with 20 years service or a high ranking detective garda. Was obviously an idiotic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

sillymoo wrote: »
    Wages were not increased due to demand for doctors! Yes the demand for doctors is high. Thats why a 3 years ago the first Graduate Entry Programme for training doctors was started and these new doctors graduate in 2010.

Haven't looked into the situation in about 4 years, nice to know something was being done. Way too late of course.
    As for opening medicine up for the average student? This year entry into medicine will be based on a combined score of the Leaving Cert points and points from the HPAT aptitude test. This is a move by the Department of Education to bring the points down. The government also planned to increase the number of undergraduate places but I dont know where that stands now due to the recession.

All too late. And pointless if the people at the top are siphoning money that can be used for lower entry positions.
    The system in UK is as bad if not worse than here. Wages in general in most sectors are less than here. The situation you have in the UK now is that you have more doctors coming out the the universities than intern places and these new doctors struggle to get a job. Might go the same way here. Who knows!

I really think you should look at the English situation. It has big problems, but nowhere near what we have here. Also ever other profession you had to fight to get a job when training was done and fight to keep it. Why were doctors the exception to the rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Compak wrote: »
    Also 50% was a vast exaggeration, The most recent suggestion was a 9-15% drop, plus from figure I have used 75grand is often reserved for the supervisor though I know others get it in busy shops.

No, unfortunately that 50% figure is from someone involved in doing up the budget for 2009 for a largeish company and taking on a number of newly qualified this December. 74k was the starting figure for said newly qualifieds last year

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Fad wrote: »
    What schools pay 50 grand unless you've been teaching for 15 odd years? Private schools here, dont pay the teachers the government does (Grind schools are an exception) so I dont know where this is coming from..........

(I could be wrong)

I know quite a few teachers working 5-8 years now. they wrok 20 hrs a week teaching (does not include corrections same way as a doctor/ pharmacist can have stacks of medical journals to read) For this 20hrs a week they get 50 grand, Thats 50 grand a year where 4mths is free time.

I said a private school solely because conditions are better and generally student have a harder work etiquette (now I did not state this originally not nor did I go private school just my friends are mixed in where they work and this is the consensus.

• Advertisement

No, unfortunately that 50% figure is from someone involved in doing up the budget for 2009 for a largeish company and taking on a number of newly qualified this December. 74k was the starting figure for said newly qualifieds last year

Its false. 44600 was agreed upon for a pharmaceutical assistants salary, so no pharmacist will get paid less.

Eglinton wrote: »
    That's the projected 50%? Dear Lord. So you're sayin Pharmacy graduates could expect to get 75K upon graduation i.e. the same as a post primary teacher with 20 years service or a high ranking detective garda. Was obviously an idiotic system.

I know of a pharmacist that made 25 million by 30. I say fair play to him. I say it should be kept at 75grand so now that you are aware you can now go and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

UncleBen wrote: »
    I've also been through this system and believe that if you study in a conservatory or under a well-trained private tutor lessons are worth every cent of what you pay.

However, I can't condone those who charge exhorbant amounts and simply aren't qualified.

I completely agree with you - I do know though, that some teachers, about 5-6 years ago when I first came to Dublin were charging a euro a minute!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Compak wrote: »
    I say it should be kept at 75grand so now that you are aware you can now go and do it.

Why would I want a pay cut! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Eglinton wrote: »

While still a ludicrously high sum, just to point out it's not upon graduation. During their final year at college pharmacy students have to sit interviews etc to be taken on by a tutor pharmacist registered with the PSI. Upon finishing college they then work full-time under the close supervison of that pharmacist while studying for 3 exams set by the PSI - 2 that are fairly ok and the final licence exam that by all accounts is horrific lol have to know every normal dosage and max dosage range for every medicine, know them all by brand name and drug name, know all the ins and outs of every scheme of which there are many in Ireland, not only know exactly which class of medicines the drugs are legally (again many!), have to know all regulations, prescription requirements etc for each all asked in a very confusing multiple choice exam format that means you have to know the minutiae not just the general stuff.

So while it's still a huge amount of money, there's more to it than just getting through college. I genuinely would say though (biased as I am, being a pharmacy graduate), that many people I know who have done other degrees - marketing, teaching, science, arts have said to me that they think from talking to us and comparing against their own experience that pharmacy is one of the tougher courses out there. Mostly I think that's due to the wide breadth of subjects that need to be understood and learned - anatomy, chemistry, physiology, pharmacology, pharmacy practice, law and ethics, pharmacy business, biotechnology, biochemistry, statistics, therapeutics, clinical pharmacy, dispensing, behavioural sciences, pharmaceutics, pharmacognosy, microbiology, veterinary pharmacy, evidence-based research.

I'm not saying this so everyone thinks wahey aren't pharmacists graet - it's just to give people a bit more of an insight into pharmacy and pharmacists. Unfortunately at present the Irish government doesn't utilise us very well but hopefully that'll change in the future and at least some of you will think we're worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

todolist wrote: »
    Teachers are overpaid because they only work 167 days a year.They get paid for staying at home half the year.Once again,only in Ireland!

Also they only work 20 hours a week {class time}.
    The starting salary for a teacher is E 33, 127 plus another e 1238 for your H dip, plus another e 1,846 for your Degree.

This comes to E 36 k a year starting out. So if your a secondary school teacher, amd you work 167 days it averages aout a e 52 a hour. Plus job security and your cast iron pension. Thats e 52 a hour in a teachers first year of teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

starn wrote: »
    Also they only work 20 hours a week {class time}.
    The starting salary for a teacher is E 33, 127 plus another e 1238 for your H dip, plus another e 1,846 for your Degree.

This comes to E 36 k a year starting out. So if your a secondary school teacher, amd you work 167 days it averages aout a e 52 a hour. Plus job security and your cast iron pension. Thats e 52 a hour in a teachers first year of teaching

22 hours a week. If you're lucky.

And lol at job security!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Do people really think we should just pay teachers for the time they work? and just not pay them over xmas and the summer?

These people are in charge of our kids' education.

If we paid them a pittance, we'd get much poorer quality graduates.

PLus, the idea of teachers having job security is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

What about fishermen, I never seen a poor one yet. Killybegs has more millionaires per square mile than any part of Ireland.

Janey do you spend more then 22 hours a week in class

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Do people really think we should just pay teachers for the time they work? and just not pay them over xmas and the summer?

Well actually teachers are only paid for the time they work. That amount then gets split up and paid to them over the 12 months
    If we paid them a pittance, we'd get much poorer quality graduates.

Im not saying there we should pay them less. What Im saying. and you seem to agree with me is that for the hours of class time they put in they are very well paid.
    PLus, the idea of teachers having job security is laughable.

Once a teacher is made permenat it is near impossible for them to lose there job. I havent read anything in the papers about the goverment laying off hundreds of full time permanent teachers. Have you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

When I said 'if you're lucky' I meant if you are lucky enough to get 22 hours. Many get less. And if you think my job stops when I step out of my classroom you're wrong.

Also, while permanent positions are generally secure, they are extremely difficult to come by, so job security is a huge issue.

Anyway, I've done enough defending of teachers in the last few weeks to last me a lifetime, so I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

321654 wrote: »
    Builders.

And anyone in a job where they can post on the interweb during the day.

Smokers who take "Smoke breaks". Whoever is paying them is paying them way too much.

cop on !

janeybabe wrote: »
    And if you think my job stops when I step out of my classroom you're wrong.
    Im not saying it does. But equally with one exception my job dosent stop at 1700
    so job security is a huge issue.

Just like everyone else.

Im not saying that teachers should be paid less. But I do think they do quite well for themselfs compared to say nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

endasmail wrote: »
    cop on !

If you have a problem with a post, feel free to report it. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Teachers have much more responsibility to society than most of us. They may well be paid a lot per hour, but they should be.

If you were to ask me for a list of which jobs should attract high pay, teachers would be right up there.

Pharmacists are a different kettle of fish. They get paid a lot on th eprivate sector because they're worth a hell of a lot to the private sector. They do an incredibly difficult undergraduate degree, and they're too highly qualified to be challened in community work, but it's a cash cow. They have every right to take advantage of Boots or whoever offering them shedloads of money, because they are worth that money. They are worth the money because without them, the revenue of the pharmacy would be severely reduced.

When I said 'if you're lucky' I meant if you are lucky enough to get 22 hours. Many get less. And if you think my job stops when I step out of my classroom you're wrong.

At least you're not an ESL teacher ;) I work over 35 hours a week, finish at 10pm and then have to go home and mark tests and prepare lessons. Don't get paid for Christmas or Easter holidays, so only got paid for half of December. Working in a school doesn't seem like a bad deal compared to this. I'm gonna be up until 2 or 3am preparing for tomorrow, then leave the house at 11-12 to go to work. I'm working a hell of a lot more hours than those I'm paid for. I miss the times I used to clock out at 5 and that was it for the day. Oh well.

Its a bit of topic but what do you think you should be paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Here's the teacher scales of salary to compare with Uk/US/Canada/Australia http://www.educationworld.net/salaries_ie.html

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

gurramok wrote: »
    Here's the teacher scales of salary to compare with Uk/US/Canada/Australia http://www.educationworld.net/salaries_ie.html

I honestly don't think we should compare with the US/UK as I would not want my child to be educated in their systems - they pay for what they get with decreasing literacy levels at all levels of school children. I think that if you pay teachers well you will get good teachers.

I don't know why anyone giving out about teachers and their time off and how they get overpaid don't just go and become teachers and reap the perceived benefits - its a job I wouldn't do.

• Advertisement

I think I should be paid a lot more than the 25K or so a year my salary works out at. Most receptionists are on more than that. I have 7+ hours a day of teaching time and at least an hour and a half preparation per day, sometimes much more. Add onto that the time it takes to mark tests and homework. I basically have absolutely no life at all during the week. My hourly pay might sound alright, but considering the hours I really work, it's piss poor. I made 25K as a receptionist, doing 9-5 every day, messing on the internet and making cups of tea. I'd find it very hard to believe that secondary school teachers don't have a better deal.

Advertisement