Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs that pay way too much for the work done

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

No, just because something is sold OTC for 12 having been on prescription does NOT mean you were charged a 24 euro 'dispensing fee'. Dispensing fees are in the range of 3-5 euro per prescription. The reason for price dropping would be partly to do with this but more likely that the company decided to lower the cost price of the medicine as they would have been selling more of it, requirements etc were changed. Anyway there's no point us trying to 'justify' it - if you don't understand the role of the pharmacist and/or the level of knowledge of the drugs of doctors you're never going to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

You do realize that if the doctor writes out the wrong prescription for drug or dose and the pharmacist gives it to you he is to blame?

Well, they're both to blame.

i was with this guy until he came out with this crap

Since Irish nurses do not perform basic nursing tasks such as blood taking, cannulation or ECG recording

Hang about poor soul, i've been in hospitals working and seen A and E nursing staff carrying out all of the above tasks on so many occasions i can not count them.

Very few nurses will perform those tasks in Ireland. It's not part of basic training for nurses, and they have to go on special courses to do them.

Irish junior doctors spend about 60% or more of their time doing these tasks, when we should be using them for the tasks they're trained for.

Most nurses would like to do them, but their hierarchy won't have it.

*see thread on biology+medicine forum about that exact topic just now*.

Next time your relative is waiting for ages on a doctor, he's probably delayed doing crappy jobs because no-one else will do them.
    if you don't understand the role of the pharmacist and/or the level of knowledge of the drugs of doctors you're never going to get it

I'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

i was with this guy until he came out with this crap

Since Irish nurses do not perform basic nursing tasks such as blood taking, cannulation or ECG recording

Hang about poor soul, i've been in hospitals working and seen A and E nursing staff carrying out all of the above tasks on so many occasions i can not count them.
    You do realize that if the doctor writes out the wrong prescription for drug or dose and the pharmacist gives it to you he is to blame?
    tallaght01 wrote: »
    Well, they're both to blame.

Very few nurses will perform those tasks in Ireland. It's not part of basic training for nurses, and they have to go on special courses to do them.

Irish junior doctors spend about 60% or more of their time doing these tasks, when we should be using them for the tasks they're trained for.

Most nurses would like to do them, but their hierarchy won't have it.

*see thread on biology+medicine forum about that exact topic just now*.

Next time your relative is waiting for ages on a doctor, he's probably delayed doing crappy jobs because no-one else will do them.

I'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean.

danger mouse - Not sure what your job is in A&E, but if possible consider spending time on the wards. Nurses do not cannulate, draw blood or do ecgs, ever. Some speciailst nurses (e.g. chemotherapy nurses) do, but only on those patients within their remit. When dealing with general patients they don't, even though they can.
    Actually, just stay in A&E and see what happens when the extremely busy medical, surgical etc SHO asks an A&E nurse to take bloods or do an ECG. If the A&E SHO did not ask for the test, they won't do it even if the SHO to which the pt has been referred asks for it.

Cuddlesworth - Yup this happens sometimes and its bad. Also happens the other way around when a pharmacist dispenses the wrong drug, then tries to blame the doc's handwriting. Had it happen to a friend of mine (doctor) - luckily she had kept a copy of the script and a visually impaired monkey could have read her perfectly printed handwriting.
    This thread is about jobs that pay too much. Pharmacy has been mentioned many times and the standard rebuke is "oh we need to know lots about drugs in case the doctor makes a mistake". So you're a "back up" profession then. And you sell cameras.

tallaght01 - I totally agree. Also wondering what that guy was trying to say!

Svalbard wrote: »
    danger mouse - Not sure what your job is in A&E, but if possible consider spending time on the wards. Nurses do not cannulate, draw blood or do ecgs, ever. Some speciailst nurses (e.g. chemotherapy nurses) do, but only on those patients within their remit. When dealing with general patients they don't, even though they can.
    Actually, just stay in A&E and see what happens when the extremely busy medical, surgical etc SHO asks an A&E nurse to take bloods or do an ECG. If the A&E SHO did not ask for the test, they won't do it even if the SHO to which the pt has been referred asks for it.

Cuddlesworth - Yup this happens sometimes and its bad. Also happens the other way around when a pharmacist dispenses the wrong drug, then tries to blame the doc's handwriting. Had it happen to a friend of mine (doctor) - luckily she had kept a copy of the script and a visually impaired monkey could have read her perfectly printed handwriting.
    This thread is about jobs that pay too much. Pharmacy has been mentioned many times and the standard rebuke is "oh we need to know lots about drugs in case the doctor makes a mistake". So you're a "back up" profession then. And you sell cameras.

tallaght01 - I totally agree. Also wondering what that guy was trying to say!

In fairness, i think community pharmacists are overpaid, but that's a supply and demand issue. I also think they're under-utilised in the community. their training is really really tough.

But hospital pharmacists are definitely worth the money. They do a lot of stuff, like making up delicate fluids for premature babies, and making chemotherapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

In fairness, i think community pharmacists are overpaid, but that's a supply and demand issue. I also think they're under-utilised in the community. their training is really really tough.

But hospital pharmacists are definitely worth the money. They do a lot of stuff, like making up delicate fluids for premature babies, and making chemotherapy.

Agreed. Much of my ire towards pharmacist is, admittedly, based on one community pharmacist I know who is an awful c u next tuesday. Not fair, I know. And you're right, they could extend their services.

• Advertisement

One of my best mates is a community pharmacists.

he's one the cleverest guys I've ever met,

Working in hospitals in Ireland involved working for the HSE, which he understandably gave up.

But working in the community this exceptionally clever guy says he's basically managing a shop 9he's the pharmacy manager) and ordering in perfume etc.

He's just decided to quit and set his own IT repair company because he's so frustrated.

Real shame to lose him as he's seriously on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

prozzies :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

delllat wrote: »
    binmen are nowhere near millionaires,they get about 500-600 a week im told but the work is nasty and they deserve every penny

Clearly, none of you clods mouthing the word 'deserve' in this thread have ever hired anyone to do anything.

You don't pay what someone 'deserves'. Charities give people what they deserve. Businesses don't. You pay them what it takes to keep them doing the job, and no more.

Will we run short of consultants and pharmacists if we cut a third off their pay? Not likely, people will still queue up to take their place. So we're stealing from the pockets of the taxpayer by not doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Pop staring

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lena on da wall

I did some contract work in a state agency. Although a lot of the employees worked really hard their salaries were criminal. It's disgraceful how much they are on.

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »
    Will we run short of consultants and pharmacists if we cut a third off their pay? Not likely, people will still queue up to take their place. So we're stealing from the pockets of the taxpayer by not doing so.

The private sector pays much more already, and pays overtime, which the HSE doesn't.

I would imagine if you stripped 1/3 off peoples salaries without a good reason, then they'd just regard that as a pisstake and go to the private sector.

I certainly would. And I'm very much against the idea of doing private practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The private sector pays much more already, and pays overtime, which the HSE doesn't.

I would imagine if you stripped 1/3 off peoples salaries without a good reason, then they'd just regard that as a pisstake and go to the private sector.

I certainly would. And I'm very much against the idea of doing private practice.

Anyone getting paid directly or indirectly from the public purse is obliged in these times to take a pay cut. Those who especially benefited from generous pay deals in previous years, like Consultants and Clerical staff, should take cuts in proportion their income and not a general % reduction.

Then we fundamentally reform our public/private health sector divide and tax system and move away from the greed is good mentality seemingly present currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

RTE presenters. Over 850,000 Euro a year for Pat Kenny? Get lost!

Anyone getting paid directly or indirectly from the public purse is obliged in these times to take a pay cut. Those who especially benefited from generous pay deals in previous years, like Consultants and Clerical staff, should take cuts in proportion their income and not a general % reduction.

Then we fundamentally reform our public/private health sector divide and tax system and move away from the greed is good mentality seemingly present currently.

Well, the new deal didn't make consultants richer. It just made they actually get paid for overtime (still not introduced that bit of the contract yet), and meant there was some incentive for people to do public work.

BUT, I agree with you to an extent. As a doctor, i'd be happy enough to take a paycut during the recession.

I would expect some show of goodwill from the government when the good times return again (like a REAL commitment to stopping the state sponsored slavery of our juniors having to work 72 hour shifts with no guaranteed sleep), but I know that won't happen.

It's very hard to show the HSE goodwill when you're well paid. I don't know how we expect those on the lower end of the payscale to take a paycut. I personally would resist that. I think the better paid should be the first to take a cut.

But people suggesting doctors take a cut of a third of their pay are ripping the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well, the new deal didn't make consultants richer. It just made they actually get paid for overtime (still not introduced that bit of the contract yet), and meant there was some incentive for people to do public work.

BUT, I agree with you to an extent. As a doctor, i'd be happy enough to take a paycut during the recession.

I would expect some show of goodwill from the government when the good times return again (like a REAL commitment to stopping the state sponsored slavery of our juniors having to work 72 hour shifts with no guaranteed sleep), but I know that won't happen.

It's very hard to show the HSE goodwill when you're well paid. I don't know how we expect those on the lower end of the payscale to take a paycut. I personally would resist that. I think the better paid should be the first to take a cut.

But people suggesting doctors take a cut of a third of their pay are ripping the piss.

How much are the new consultant contracts worth?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    How much are the new consultant contracts worth?

215k per annum.

Probably going to go up to 240k per year with overtime etc.

That's if you do no private work at all.

Figures could be slightly off, as I don't work in Ireland anymore. But they're close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

215k per annum.

Probably going to go up to 240k per year with overtime etc.

That's if you do no private work at all.

Figures could be slightly off, as I don't work in Ireland anymore. But they're close enough.

If you do private work?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    If you do private work?

Up to 175k (including overtime etc) if they're allowed to do off-site private work.

Like I said, a lot of the money hasn't been paid yet. The Irish Hospital Consultants Association has said they'll defer pay rises this year, due to tough economic conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

I know it may seem crazy money consultants earn but a kot of people don't appreciate the time and effort it takes to reach consultant standard in a particular field of expertise. You are talking most likely >20+ years after graduating from a Medicine course. When you compare this to the €850,000 Pat Kenny earns for...well, what exactly? The mind boggles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

kathy2 wrote: »
    Why would your sister or anyone else study all those years for no reward. Medicine is hard going. She might as well have stayed in bed, while there are people in bed who have never worked a day. Strange times we live in the rich get poorer and the poor get poorer so whose getting the money:D

The "reward" anyone recieves for persuing an academic career is a nice, indoor, warm, non-phsycal job thats reasonably stable and probably has a pension plan. It doesnt give anyone the right to rip other people off.

I'm an engineer. I take home exactly 608 euro per week. I studied for four years for to earn my stripes, and completed a further seven years in the industry before I began to earn this much. I would like more, but in this climate I'm just glad I have a job. Anyway, its fair for what I do.

I dont think there are many "people in bed who never worked a day" in this country. Most people on the dole would give their firstborn for a job right now. There are a few scabs, but in the larger scheme of things, not many. Anyway, for all they get, I think its fair too. 198 euro per week last time I checked for a single man. You wont go too far on that. If they choose to live the way they do, then their support should reflect that, and if a genuine job-seeker comes across a job, they can take without competition from the scabs. And before someone says we shouldnt pay scabs at all, as human beings and fellow Irish people, we cant just abandon them either. I feel a fair balance is being struck.

I think the ones who are being paid too much are solicitors, baristers, judges, and most people to do with the law. Its totally unfair. I had a solicitor aid me fight a battle recently, and his bill was 15K. FIFTEEN THOUSAND?!?!?!?!?!?!? And when I queried him on it, he halved it straight away!?!?!?! Still not happy, I asked him to break it down. He had something like E1K for phonecalls and letters. Ridiculous. I say aid, because I had to do most of the research, letter writing, and phonecalling myself! This guy hadnt a clue. Even in the day in court, I had to intervene to correct him on a few facts. And thats the fee he thinks he deserves? I know I'm not alone, solicitors/laywers are notorious. Good thing I won, and costs were awarded to the opposition. No thanks to my solicitor.

And before someone jumps in here and says that law is tough, and what would I have done without my solicitor, and solicitors are more intelligent then everyone else since it takes five hundred and sixty odd points in your leaving cert to study law, here's a few facts of life: Being a laywer is easier than being a blocklayer, without my solicitor I wouldnt have done, or not done, anything different in my legal battle, as representation is not a requirement in law, and the leaving cert is NOT an IQ test!!!!!!!!!! My engineering course was on par points-wise with law, medicine, vetinary science etc, but I dont think any lawyer reading this could tell me what 13 multiplied by 13 is of the top of their head, nevermind solve a partial differentatial equation or a fourier transform while armed with a PC!

Solicitors get paid way too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

a furnier transform while armed with a PC!

Neither could I. I could solve a Fourier transform though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Neither could I. I could solve a Fourier transform though :P

You lie, nobody can do that, it's unpossible :pac:

Advertisement