Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs that pay way too much for the work done

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The legal profession - when you consider what they actually do they are massively overpaid. Total monoply no competition.

Train Drivers I'd agree with - a reasonably awake 15 year old could be a train driver after probably 15 mins training.

Chemists/Pharmacists - I don't understand why they get paid so much. All they seem to do is read doctors' perscriptions and hand over drugs. A monkey could do this.

Train Drivers - replacable with computers.

Chem- / Pharmacists - replacable with computers.

Lawyers - could be replaced mainly by a sensible legal system. Oh, and computers.

Who said there was no such thing as a "free lunch?"

TANSTAAFL - Heinlein?
    Nah, he wasn't really close. DJ is the answer. I thought I'd see it somewhere else in the thread to be honest.

DJs - replacable by computers. On that note, I once went to find a DJ to request a song and found a macbook with itunes. He was at the bar.
    shane86 wrote: »
    HR staff

People in the civil service take the piss

HR Staff - replacable by computers, although what would we do with all the arseholes in that sector?

Civil Service - replacable by some clever thinking, and lots of computers, none of which run Solitare.

Alicat wrote: »
    Nevermind teachers, builders etc, its the Footballers and "celebrities" that get the most shocking money

According to a paper that reported on his car crash there the other week

For playing a few games of football? :confused:

Here, I wouldn't agree, because clearly celebrities and soccer players are making enough money for their employers to make their wages worthwhile. Generally the private sector doesn't overpay for too long, because competition moves in and does it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Donny5 wrote: »
    Here, I wouldn't agree, because clearly celebrities and soccer players are making enough money for their employers to make their wages worthwhile. Generally the private sector doesn't overpay for too long, because competition moves in and does it cheaper.

Load of cr@p. One week of Ronaldo's wages is what some poor bugger struggles to earn in 3/4 years. And the same poor bugger can't even earn that now cause of all the job cuts.

Edit, actually he gets what £120k per week? So that could be 5 or even 6 years of some guys pay. A guy who's trying to feed himself and his family and keep a roof over their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

No they aren't. Would you trust a train with nobody in control?

Agree they are paid too much considering someone on minimum wage could probably do the job.

Just need people to fix the train if it breaks down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RATM wrote: »
    Another was my own sister, a consultant anaesthetist. It is quite a responsible job to be fair, like people might die if she screws up. However when I go around to her private clinic to pick her up for lunch I often have to wait until the last patient is seen. In the ten minutes it takes her to see them she makes €160. Lunch is always on her. In fairness she worked v.hard for 12 years to get where she is now but I still don't see how €250k p.a. is justified.

I'm having a small op next Friday, and even though it's minor it does require general anaesthetic. I don't really care how much the anaesthetist gets paid as long as it's enough to ensure that he/she doesn't fcuk up while I'm on the table. They'll have earned every penny the moment I wake up as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Chem- / Pharmacists - replacable with computers.

Lawyers - could be replaced mainly by a sensible legal system. Oh, and computers.

That's what I was getting at in my post.

A lot of the legal system seems to be taken up with bureacratic paperwork, combined with the fact that they operate in a monopoly system and so can get away with charging what they want for services due to no real competition.

With pharmacists working in chemists, I just don't understand why did have to have such an knowledge of what they are selling. In the vast majority of cases you could have someone on minimum wage with a computer doing the same job. Only in the rarest of cases would there be any difference between this and the current situation. Even in the case previously mentioned where the chemist caught an error by the doctor, if a proper series of checks and balances were in place the risk would be much reduced. Long term I can't see any future in this as a career. In a hundred years (probably less) I would expect this career to have pretty much vanished. Alternatively they may get paid so much because it is such a boring repetive dull job. I know one person who has been qualified as a pharmacist a number of years. They worked for a drug company for a couple of years, then went working in chemists which they hated and lasted only a couple of months before going back to the drug industry. Maybe my view is biased by listening to them rant about what a horrible job they found it and the fact that they agree that they are overpaid.

Train drivers - it just seems that due to a historic situation combined with a militant union, they are overpaid for what they actually do especially when you take into account the skills necessary to drive a train. Also the fact that it seems that a virtual family monopoly existed and continues to exist, whereby your chances of getting this job seems strongly related to being a member of one of these families.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Camera guy on Nigella bites.

That's why they are called money shots, no pay needed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

With pharmacists working in chemists, I just don't understand why did have to have such an knowledge of what they are selling. In the vast majority of cases you could have someone on minimum wage with a computer doing the same job. Only in the rarest of cases would there be any difference between this and the current situation. Even in the case previously mentioned where the chemist caught an error by the doctor, if a proper series of checks and balances were in place the risk would be much reduced. Long term I can't see any future in this as a career. In a hundred years (probably less) I would expect this career to have pretty much vanished. Alternatively they may get paid so much because it is such a boring repetive dull job. I know one person who has been qualified as a pharmacist a number of years. They worked for a drug company for a couple of years, then went working in chemists which they hated and lasted only a couple of months before going back to the drug industry. Maybe my view is biased by listening to them rant about what a horrible job they found it and the fact that they agree that they are overpaid.

Yeah IF the checks were in order. They should have been in order regardless but they're not! And it's certainly not gonna change anytime soon unless the HSE gets a huge kick up the backside.

It honestly shocks me how little some GPs know about the job they got a feckin degree in. Even had some GPs asking us what we(the pharmacy team) would recommend that he prescribe for the patient! :eek: "Ehh, you're the doctor...."

So for the moment, the HSE could not cope by cutting out the pharmacists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Yeah IF the checks were in order. They should have been in order regardless but they're not! And it's certainly not gonna change anytime soon unless the HSE gets a huge kick up the backside.

It honestly shocks me how little some GPs know about the job they got a feckin degree in. Even had some GPs asking us what we(the pharmacy team) would recommend that he prescribe for the patient! :eek: "Ehh, you're the doctor...."

So for the moment, the HSE could not cope by cutting out the pharmacists.

HSE couldn't cope without pharmacists, but not because they continually save GPs :rolleyes:

I could give you a multitude of stories about pharmacist cockups. They even gave me own dad a shedload of metformin instead of trimethoprim recently (only caught by me, as dad shows me every new set of tablets he's prescribed :P).

Ocasionally pharmacists cockup. Occasionally GPs cockup. It's entirely appropriate for a pharmacist to offer advice about a prescribing choice. That's what you're trained to do. In fact, the main pharmacists oncerns that I hear is that docs don't consult them enough.

I trained with a lot of pharmacists when doing medicine, and I agree that they're too highly trained to work in community. One of my best mates is just leaving his pharmacy job to set up an IT form, as he's so bored with it.

But the law states a pharmacist has to be present when a presriptions are being filled. There's a limited supply of pharmacists. So the private sector comptes to get their hands on them.

Hospital pharmacists are really good professionals though. They make toxic stuff like chemotherapy, or premature babies intravenous nutrition. A tiny cockup here can kill.

I have total respect for my hospital pharmacy colleagues. Hospitals run much more smoothly because of them. It would wanna be some computer that replaces them.

Ironically, they get paid much less than the guys working in boots.

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »
    HSE couldn't cope without pharmacists, but not because they continually save GPs :rolleyes:

I could give you a multitude of stories about pharmacist cockups. They even gave me own dad a shedload of metformin instead of trimethoprim recently (only caught by me, as dad shows me every new set of tablets he's prescribed :P).

Ocasionally pharmacists cockup. Occasionally GPs cockup. It's entirely appropriate for a pharmacist to offer advice about a prescribing choice. That's what you're trained to do. In fact, the main pharmacists oncerns that I hear is that docs don't consult them enough.

I trained with a lot of pharmacists when doing medicine, and I agree that they're too highly trained to work in community. One of my best mates is just leaving his pharmacy job to set up an IT form, as he's so bored with it.

But the law states a pharmacist has to be present when a presriptions are being filled. There's a limited supply of pharmacists. So the private sector comptes to get their hands on them.

Hospital pharmacists are really good professionals though. They make toxic stuff like chemotherapy, or premature babies intravenous nutrition. A tiny cockup here can kill.

I have total respect for my hospital pharmacy colleagues. Hospitals run much more smoothly because of them. It would wanna be some computer that replaces them.

Ironically, they get paid much less than the guys working in boots.

I agree with the hospital pharmacist thing, (I'm not a pharmacist just in case I was unclear about that) but the few locum hospital pharmacists we've had have generally really known their stuff. A lot more than a lot community pharmacists

But I didn't say it was cause of pharmacists "saving" GPs, that was one example. I meant that the GPs don't seem to know enough to be able to prescribe and dispense these medicines. Should the pharmacist role be cut from the system, there would be some serious, and I mean really serious re-training required for every single doctor out there and major upheaval in the Health Service. I'm not saying pharmacists are indispensable (no pun intended :p) but the doctors are not up to scratch to take over the whole thing now.

And yes pharmacists make mistakes sometimes. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any doctor or pharmacist who had never made a mistake in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Blush_01 wrote: »
    The T in V.A.T. actually stands for teddybear.
    No it stands for tax. But would you like to know the percentage VAT charged on food? Its 0% so as you can see that is a huge chunk of their income

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

How much do you think they are on? Hard to pay someone less than minimum wage no matter how handy the job!

What ever there on its still to much

I agree with the hospital pharmacist thing, (I'm not a pharmacist just in case I was unclear about that) but the few locum hospital pharmacists we've had have generally really known their stuff. A lot more than a lot community pharmacists

But I didn't say it was cause of pharmacists "saving" GPs, that was one example. I meant that the GPs don't seem to know enough to be able to prescribe and dispense these medicines. Should the pharmacist role be cut from the system, there would be some serious, and I mean really serious re-training required for every single doctor out there and major upheaval in the Health Service. I'm not saying pharmacists are indispensable (no pun intended :p) but the doctors are not up to scratch to take over the whole thing now.

And yes pharmacists make mistakes sometimes. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any doctor or pharmacist who had never made a mistake in their lives.

I don't think any doctor would try and take over dispensing. I and most of my colleagues haven;t been trained for it.

I think people were talking about dispensers who have a lesser qualification that pharmacists, like the current dispensary technicians.

I don't think any doctor would try and take over dispensing. I and most of my colleagues haven;t been trained for it.

I think people were talking about dispensers who have a lesser qualification that pharmacists, like the current dispensary technicians.

That's what I am but with the mistakes that I see coming in on prescriptions I would not feel comfortable with it. I don't know as much as the pharmacists do to catch some of these mistakes. So they should give us more training? But at what stage do you stop before it basically turns us in pharmacists?

That's what I am but with the mistakes that I see coming in on prescriptions I would not feel comfortable with it. I don't know as much as the pharmacists do to catch some of these mistakes. So they should give us more training? But at what stage do you stop before it basically turns us in pharmacists?

You'll be grand. It's really just a case of looking up the dose in the BNF.

And think of the money :P

You'll be grand. It's really just a case of looking up the dose in the BNF.

And think of the money :P

:pac:

I'd definitely want a pay rise :p

I'd keep training and scrap the pharmacists, but no extra pay for self learning and fulfilment.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    I'd keep training and scrap the pharmacists, but no extra pay for self learning and fulfilment.

Well I'd want the top-end of my pay scale then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

It is justified in the eyes of those who worship money.

To me, it corresponds to selling 12 (perhaps the best) years of your life for a future 250,000 p/a. So for the typical sucker to money and all that, its more than justified.

• Advertisement

Well I'd want the top-end of my pay scale then :p

Indeed you would. You have a Private Sector ethic, not a Public Service one.

Indeed you would. You have a Private Sector ethic, not a Public Service one.

Trust me, the pay scale is not that broad for the job I do :rolleyes:

Trust me, the pay scale is not that broad for the job I do :rolleyes:

You a Nurse?

Broad?

You a Nurse?

Broad?

Would it make your joke work better if I said yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

:rolleyes:, do unemployed people not pay tax when they buy food or when they pay bills ?

do unemployed people not pay tax when they buy them selves a drink ? thats the most dumb ass responce ive ever read ....:rolleyes:
    the fact that they give back some their free money in vat doesn't mean they're contributing, it just means they're getting slightly less free money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

sillymoo wrote: »
    This blog http://doctoryblog.wordpress.com/ might shed some light on the work of a junior doctor.

Yes consultants get paid quite a bit, but dont label all doctors with the same brush.

The world is full of doctors. If we brought them in from India (where most of the best doctors in Ireland come from anyway) we could pay them much less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

MrMicra wrote: »
    The world is full of doctors. If we brought them in from India (where most of the best doctors in Ireland come from anyway) we could pay them much less.

I see ethics aren't exactly your strongpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm having a small op next Friday, and even though it's minor it does require general anaesthetic. I don't really care how much the anaesthetist gets paid as long as it's enough to ensure that he/she doesn't fcuk up while I'm on the table. They'll have earned every penny the moment I wake up as far as I'm concerned.

Well I hope everything goes okay with your operation:) Hey send me a PM and if my sis is on the helium bottles that day I'll ask her to give you an extra special 'After Hours' dose of gas:D

Alot of people here saying pharmacists get paid too much -what kind of bobs are they on? Like just a regular pharmacist working in a high street chemist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

That is indeed the way things are heading and pharmacists and the health service realise this.
    This however does not mean the end of pharmacists, but actual the introduction of a more appropriate role. They will have a grester involvement in patient care working closer with the doctors. The key aim is to automate the dispensing system as much as possible and have technicians do it. Pharmacists are then to focus their roles on advice and reduce the primary care burden on drs allowing them to focus on more serious cases. Pharmacies are introducing tests such as cholesterol, PSA, glucose etc. We shall see the introduction of prescribing of drugs for certain cases and a much greater role in the treatment of patients in chronic diseases. Roles will also increase in areas such as nursing homes where medicine wastage is huge.

In the UK pharmacists get paid for medication reviews of patients. Roles like this will be introduced here when a cost benefit is shown to government.

This also will help keep pharmacists sane from what can clearly be a very mundane job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For the job I do, I'm happy with my pay :p

(Thank you Irish tax payer)..

:cool:

Advertisement