Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs that pay way too much for the work done

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

kraggy wrote: »
    They have to know what drugs can be mixed with what and which can't.

Very responsible job. Shows how little you know about it.

This is information they check on a database. Shows how little you know about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

:rolleyes:, do unemployed people not pay tax when they buy food or when they pay bills ?

do unemployed people not pay tax when they buy them selves a drink ? thats the most dumb ass responce ive ever read ....:rolleyes:

Eh, if they're long term unemployed what the feck do you think they're paying that tax with? Money they get from the state, paid for by the working people....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Donny5 wrote: »
    This is information they check on a database. Shows how little you know about it.

The "database" doesn't talk to the customers. The "database" doesn't give the customer advice on how to combine medication to get the most benefit from it and other methods which may help their condition.

Community pharmacy is about service and connecting with the customers. Most regular customers don't want to talk to a member of staff who has to check absolutely everything on a database. May as well be talking to a computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Alicat wrote: »
    The "database" doesn't talk to the customers. The "database" doesn't give the customer advice on how to combine medication to get the most benefit from it and other methods which may help their condition.

Community pharmacy is about service and connecting with the customers. Most regular customers don't want to talk to a member of staff who has to check absolutely everything on a database. May as well be talking to a computer.

You're right, they may as well be talking to a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

sdf
    Pharmacists 'save State' €460m by keeping people out of AE

PAUL CULLEN, Consumer Affairs correspondent

COMMUNITY PHARMACISTS save the Exchequer €460 million a year by keeping customers out of doctors’ surgeries and AE wards, a new report claims.

The savings accrue when pharmacists ensure customers take their medication correctly and provide unpaid advice on treating minor ailments, according to the report commissioned by the Irish Pharmaceutical Union (IPU). It claims pharmacists save 3.9 million visits to GPs and 500,000 visits to AE each year.

IPU president Liz Hoctor said the report by consultants PricewaterhouseCoopers dispelled many of the “misleading characterisations” about the profession, particularly in relation to profit margins.

The report calculates the average net margin in the sector at 6.6 per cent. This figure includes profits from sales of non-medical items such as cosmetics.

“There are many small pharmacies providing vital health services to patients, which would be much less than the average profit margin, and their future should not be jeopardised,” Ms Hoctor told a seminar yesterday to discuss the findings of the report.

She said the research supported the arguments made by the sector in its battle with the HSE over cost savings on drug costs: “Not alone do we have the confidence of patients who visit us in huge numbers every day but we are saving the Exchequer millions of euro in avoiding unnecessary GP and AE visits.”

Irish people pay 96 million visits a year to their pharmacies, equivalent to 23 visits per person, the report also estimates. Once there, more than 60 million medicines are dispensed under the public drug schemes and our pharmacists as a whole give advice 15 million times in a year on minor ailments.

The average Irish person spent €579 on medicines in 2007, with prescription medicines accounting for €455 of this total. This compares with a spending of almost €900 a year on alcohol and cigarettes for every person in the State in 2004/’05. The most commonly prescribed drugs are aspirin and atorvastatin (for lowering cholesterol).

The report shows there are 1,486 pharmacies in the State, slightly more than the number of post offices and slightly fewer than the number of major food outlets. About 16,500 people work in the sector and the average hourly pay of a pharmacist is €38. The average turnover per outlet is €1.88 million and average net profits are estimated at €125,000 per shop. Only 1 per cent of pharmacies have a turnover of less than €500,000 and 15 per cent earn more than €2,500,000 a year. Over half of all pharmacies earned more than €100,000 a year in fees from the medical card scheme.

The report says the fees and mark-ups that pharmacists earn from public drug schemes account for 3 per cent of the HSE spending.

Although chain ownership of pharmacies is growing, the majority of shops are single outlets and 90 per cent of shops are owned by pharmacists.

John Crawford, healthcare solutions manager of IBM General Business, told the seminar that healthcare systems in many countries would become unsustainable in the next decade without major changes. Many systems were heading into crisis because of unrelenting pressures related to cost, quality and access/choice, he said.

“Countries that successfully transform their health services will focus on value and creating better options for the promotion of healthy lifestyles. They will focus on a move from treating patients in secondary care [hospitals] to primary care, including through pharmacies and GP surgeries.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

sillymoo wrote: »
    where are you getting these 7+ years from????

nice post bleg :P

I went to the pharmacist the other day, he saved me 50 euro. I asked him for advice instead of asking my GP. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

The reason the economy is is such sh1te now is largely down to the fact we as a nation paid ourselves too much relative to rest EU. Our public sector (even low level ones like clerical officers, student nurses etc) are paid the most in EU as Benchmarking Bertie the Bollox wanted to buy votes and industrial peace and make sure there was loads of money in public sector pockets to buy his mates overpriced shoebox apartment in Ballygobackwards.

Our proffessions too are way overpaid by EU standards. Only the private sector exporting companies were paying the true market rate for labour and even now they are leaving for Poland etc. Wages HAVE to fall by around 30% across the board but the cost of living should also fall by that amount so our standard of living shouldnt fall much if any. FF have really screwed this economy up and if we dont make radical changes we will be in this recession/depression for a decade or more and emmigration will be essential for young people again. The whole rotten edifice has to be rebuilt and preferably with no Fianna Failures around to cock things up AGAIN.

nice post bleg :P

I went to the pharmacist the other day, he saved me 50 euro. I asked him for advice instead of asking my GP. :)

no problem, always happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

delivery drivers are the most rediculously overpaid workers in ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The reason the economy is is such sh1te now is largely down to the fact we as a nation paid ourselves too much relative to rest EU. Our public sector (even low level ones like clerical officers, student nurses etc) are paid the most in EU as Benchmarking Bertie the Bollox wanted to buy votes and industrial peace and make sure there was loads of money in public sector pockets to buy his mates overpriced shoebox apartment in Ballygobackwards.

Our proffessions too are way overpaid by EU standards. Only the private sector exporting companies were paying the true market rate for labour and even now they are leaving for Poland etc. Wages HAVE to fall by around 30% across the board but the cost of living should also fall by that amount so our standard of living shouldnt fall much if any. FF have really screwed this economy up and if we dont make radical changes we will be in this recession/depression for a decade or more and emmigration will be essential for young people again. The whole rotten edifice has to be rebuilt and preferably with no Fianna Failures around to cock things up AGAIN.

Thing is, it's a world wide recession, this is not unique to Ireland. We did help bring down the economy, but even if our country was managed correctly we would still be in this mess. Considering we depend a LOT on exports and foreign multinationals, we cannot do much about it. Didn't we learn from the famine about depending solely on one thing? I think not :(
    neil_hosey wrote: »
    delivery drivers are the most rediculously overpaid workers in ireland...

How much do they get paid? And why do you say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

DanGlee wrote: »
    I work for an American insurance company that outsources its software people in Ireland ...
    And management... well... they just talk crap all day long, go into meetings, all day long, sit on the phone all day long, have the odd pointless one-to-one with employees, promise them promotions and other stuff they never follow through with and still earn 60k to 80k easily...

A retarded one armed deaf monkey could do their job...

So your a double amputee deaf monkey then? If the job is so easy and pays so well, why arent you doing it?

So much begrudgery in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Alicat wrote: »
    Really?

A top-end Technician can get that

Would say a top end tech can get more than 37000 tbh. Where i work a top-end tech can get up to 60k. Thats including shift.

tech2 wrote: »
    Would say a top end tech can get more than 37000 tbh. Where i work a top-end tech can get up to 60k. Thats including shift.

Ah well, not really in Community Pharmacy. In hospitals, yes I would readily believe that

Hopefully I will be an overpaid Pharmacist in a few years!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

all jobs where people are "working" by posting on boards.ie

including mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

mercuroman wrote: »
    I honestly don't think we should compare with the US/UK as I would not want my child to be educated in their systems - they pay for what they get with decreasing literacy levels at all levels of school children. I think that if you pay teachers well you will get good teachers.

We're ranked equal with them champ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate.
    mercuroman wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone giving out about teachers and their time off and how they get overpaid don't just go and become teachers and reap the perceived benefits - its a job I wouldn't do.

I wouldn't want to be a binman but that doesn't mean they deserve to be millionaires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

[QUOTE=Nermal;58780514

I wouldn't want to be a binman but that doesn't mean they deserve to be millionaires.[/QUOTE]

binmen are nowhere near millionaires,they get about 500-600 a week im told but the work is nasty and they deserve every penny

Hopefully I will be an overpaid Pharmacist in a few years!:p

me too. for now get ready to fork over 1400 to the PSI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

M*ry fcking H*rney.

whatever she earns, its too much. and it seems she spends it all on foodinstead of a gastric bypass .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No particular order,
    The Financial Regulator
    Head of the HSE
    Taoiseach
    Health Minister
    Tainiste
    Finance Minister

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

my brothers a binman,hes on 45,000 a year plus tips.

greatgoal wrote: »
    my brothers a binman,hes on 45,000 a year plus tips.

Rubbish Tips?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

lol,but 8 to 10 grand a year in tips aint rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

bleg wrote: »
    me too. for now get ready to fork over 1400 to the PSI

Pharmacists are way overpaid and greedy. I used to buy drug x from a pharmacy. It was a prescription drug and cost 36 euro. Soon after it became available over the counter. Price dropped to 12 euro. A 24 euro dispensing fee on top of the markup already on it. And for what, the woeful task of reading the presciption before handing me the box as opposed to me just asking for it!
    Pharmacists either didn't have enough points to study medicine or they did and said "Screw it, why help people when I can fleece them instead?"

Who needs 550 points plus to sell cameras anyway?

Doctors, on the other hand, deserve all the money they get, more in fact. They're great. Except Brendan Drumm, he sold his soul.

greatgoal wrote: »
    lol,but 8 to 10 grand a year in tips aint rubbish.

Excellent.:cool: It's hard work, and certainly not overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Svalbard wrote: »
    Pharmacists are way overpaid and greedy. I used to buy drug x from a pharmacy. It was a prescription drug and cost 36 euro. Soon after it became available over the counter. Price dropped to 12 euro. A 24 euro dispensing fee on top of the markup already on it. And for what, the woeful task of reading the presciption before handing me the box as opposed to me just asking for it!
    Pharmacists either didn't have enough points to study medicine or they did and said "Screw it, why help people when I can fleece them instead?"

Who needs 550 points plus to sell cameras anyway?

Doctors, on the other hand, deserve all the money they get, more in fact. They're great. Except Brendan Drumm, he sold his soul.

You do realize that if the doctor writes out the wrong prescription for drug or dose and the pharmacist gives it to you he is to blame?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Seifer wrote: »
    Stock brokers / investment bankers / financial workers that aren't necessary and end up destroying other peoples lives and businesses through their ineptitude and greed.

Absolute b0l0x! I work in investment banking, I'm only a junior so I'm at the very bottom of the pay "scale" and the money here is nothing like the money in the city or on the street. The work and the hours differ greatly depending on what division you're in.

I'm in the area with the worst hours, I'm on call 24/7, I do several 12 hour days a week and can work up to 18 hours a day. Generally I dont get much breaks,eat lunch at my desk. If I'm in for 17/18 hours I might get just over an hour between lunch and dinner because I'm under such immense pressure virtually all the time to work to a lot of tight deadlines (similtaneously). Oh, and of course there is no overtime!

Any money that my team generates for the bank is because my team works so bloody hard to do it and that revenue would not be generated if we didn't, so I see no reason why we shouldn't be well paid for dong so! If the firm isnt making money or if I amn't pulling my weight I'm out the door pretty quickly so there isn't that much job security.

I know that the industry has got a bad reputation for paying extraordinary bonuses in London and New York but I can tell you that (generally) they work damn hard for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

sillymoo wrote: »
    This blog http://doctoryblog.wordpress.com/ might shed some light on the work of a junior doctor.

Yes consultants get paid quite a bit, but dont label all doctors with the same brush.

i was with this guy until he came out with this crap

Since Irish nurses do not perform basic nursing tasks such as blood taking, cannulation or ECG recording

Hang about poor soul, i've been in hospitals working and seen A and E nursing staff carrying out all of the above tasks on so many occasions i can not count them.

• Advertisement

Svalbard wrote: »

€24 dispensing fee? :pac: Are you kidding? Just shows how little you know about it and how quick you are to jump on something with little or no evidence.

NO pharmacy would charge a €24 dispensing fee. 99% of things sold in a pharmacy are sold at the recommended retail price from the companies who make and distribute the products, taking into account VAT and fees or whatever, depending on the product and whether it's prescription or OTC etc. Dispensing fees are only a couple of euro. If you have a receipt that shows you were charged a €24 dispensing fee then by all means you were indeed fleeced and I wouldn't blame you for never returning to that pharmacy again. But I doubt you have that?

More than likely the change in price was affected by the fact that the regulations on the drug were changed/loosened and that changes how the product is "sold" to customers.

Advertisement