Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow potential this week.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

redsunset wrote: »
    it;s a waiting game now folks.tokyo issued a strat warming warning and zonal winds goin off the charts so they reckon this will bring the blocking and flood cold air over northern hem.has any of ye been following this in other threads like two or netweather.their charts are shaping up very nice.here's hoping all fall into place.some are suggestin a change to occur first week in feb but i think it will be later.those gfs charts don't pick it up yet so don't be lookin fi.it will find the strat warming very quick shortly and all will change.not the most appro thread for this but just lettin ye know that the best could be yet to come.let's put it this way 'it better'
    Been reading those threads redsunset but its very hard to see what effect it will have and how soon the cooling will occur and cool it will get.

Trends from past years are mixed i.e. sometimes simlar threads led to serious cold spells and other times nothing obvious.

Perhaps you have a better understanding of the affects of Stratosphere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Villain wrote: »
    Been reading those threads redsunset but its very hard to see what effect it will have and how soon the cooling will occur and cool it will get.

Trends from past years are mixed i.e. sometimes simlar threads led to serious cold spells and other times nothing obvious.

Perhaps you have a better understanding of the affects of Stratosphere?
    i agree it is hard to predict when or what will happen but we had a warming last year but it happened much later so we were into spring and it didn't hav the effects that it can.give it couple of weeks and we'll talk further on it then if we see anything shaping up.cause now it's just like a big jigsaw tryin to come together

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fellas please keep on topic, this thread is about this weeks potential snow events.
    If you want to start a topic about the stratospheric warming by all means go ahead. Its an interesting subject.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i don't see much potential for a snow event at lower levels this weekend. however, perhaps when its not forecast we'll get snowed in:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ye i dont think its looking as cold over the next few days as was made out to be a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Supercell wrote: »
    Fellas please keep on topic, this thread is about this weeks potential snow events.
    If you want to start a topic about the stratospheric warming by all means go ahead. Its an interesting subject.
    Yes it would be interesting, below is a Temp chart or whatever for the 23rd for Dublin and I can't make head nor tail of it, could someone explain it please?:rolleyes:
    03969_00_36.gif?e8cb2fe5fc9aa1d3d389629c76f01b3e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Malin head reporting recent snow
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

trogdor wrote: »
    Malin head reporting recent snow
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

2°C here and rain, its not fair. However i got walking boots a car and a camera..tomorrow i'm going to the snow :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 40 coolagad

Hey folks, living in a tropics right now (28c now and locals saying how cool it is!!) but would love to know the number of days of snow cover so far this winter on say Lug or Carraun? Anyone keeping a count?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

coolagad wrote: »
    Hey folks, living in a tropics right now (28c now and locals saying how cool it is!!) but would love to know the number of days of snow cover so far this winter on say Lug or Carraun? Anyone keeping a count?

On Lug, maybe around 50 days. Been snow there most of this month and also around 30 days in total in Oct/Nov/Dec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

There was snow falling in North Cork, as well as some wet snow down near the city at around 8am this morning. It got dark very quicky. Radar seems to be offline on Met.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

GavinH wrote: »
    There was snow falling in North Cork, as well as some wet snow down near the city at around 8am this morning. It got dark very quicky. Radar seems to be offline on Met.ie.

yes there was some sleet in mallow around that time. yeah meteireann seems to be on strike ths morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

The Radar overlay on google earth also seems to be inaccurate as I can see dark clouds over Cork City right now, but non on the overlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Data for Cork (EICK) is being recieved by Wunderground clicky. Maybe it was just a glitch this morning. :confused: 40% chance of snow there tonight with a -4c windchill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Chance of wintriness for southern counties tonight.
    Why aren't the irish met saying anything ?

12z upgrades the snow risk for the south tonight.
    Pbly be just sleety but you'd never know - sub 528 dam air overhead!!

Very low chance (850's around -3°C), that's probably why!!, that said sometimes these things surprise, not getting excited though!

Very low chance (850's around -3°C), that's probably why!!, that said sometimes these things surprise, not getting excited though!

Bear in mind we had snow in cork this morning
    Would imagine the Met will at least give a risk on tonights forecast. Certainly not dry all night like what their current aertel forecast shows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Very low chance, thats probably why!!, that said sometimes these things surprise, not getting excited though!

both rte and bbc both believe its unlikely though the bbc reckon snow tomorrow night over connacht/ulster.

GFS is forecasting low temps and a lot of precip for Saturday night.

Will be interesting to follow it on the radar.

Also, I notice in FI, the Atlantic influence is moderating. This has started to happen over the last few days. Just a general trend...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bbc have alot of Northern Ireland down for heavy snow on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 coolagad

arctictree wrote: »
    On Lug, maybe around 50 days. Been snow there most of this month and also around 30 days in total in Oct/Nov/Dec.

Cheers Artictree. Always like to know what I'm missing! Thats not bad, think avg is around 40-50 days for a full winter. If winters start getting colder again I might open a ski lift when I get back!

Local highest peak here is 7500ft and recorded lowest temp ever of 0.2c a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭kindredspirit

Hailstones ½ an hour ago.

Sleet shower now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

RTE weather just gave chance of significant sleet and snow tomorrow evening starting off as Sleet in the SW and pushing up NE with sleet and snow before clearing to rain on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If all of Ireland was 2,000 feet above sea level, you'd be the new Greenland.

If all of Ireland was 2,000 feet above sea level, you'd be the new Greenland.

Indeed, if we had just one village at 1000M, it would have near constant snow this winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Im sceptical. By midnight Saturday dew points will be circa 5C - not good. Initially though dew points look favourable for a sleety mix to low ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well im not surprised met has turned down snow for tonight, tbh im not sure where they got snow in the first place, it was never going to be cold enough for snow tonight not even sleet imo, what we need is very cold polar air over ireland and low pressure to meet to stand any chance of snow for low levels.

Started raining here and all I expect tonight is more rain:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

danni2 wrote: »
    Well im not surprised met has turned down snow for tonight, tbh im not sure where they got snow in the first place, it was never going to be cold enough for snow tonight not even sleet imo, what we need is very cold polar air over ireland and low pressure to meet to stand any chance of snow for low levels.

Started raining here and all I expect tonight is more rain:mad:

yep something like a polar low would be most welcome as it would bring proper heavy snow at low levels to many areas. Even some active troughs brought down on a strong arctic airstream would be great. I hope during the course of next month this situation develops. February tends to be the best month of the winter for snow over Ireland. So fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Anyone forecast snow for last night?

IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG

Advertisement