Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow potential this week.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dewpoints falling in the west anyway as the occlusion moves eastwards, just clearing the west coast now, some 850hpa air of -6c will push in.

This may catch up with the trough as it moves eastwards through the evening turning the precip more to snow as it clears the east around 10pm this evening.

That then will be the end of the snap with wet and windy weather tomorrow evening.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I for one will be glad when this snap ends - nothing worse than potential that fails to deliver, just a tease really for us lot.

I know there are rumblings about the east again but given they don't deliver anymore either, what does?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

GavinH wrote: »
    The same here in Ballincollig, temp just went up to 5 as well.

snowing now...sleety/snow...gone really dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

What Part of Cork are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

GavinH wrote: »
    What Part of Cork are you in?

mallow...snow gone again..very short lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

drizzle . ballymun and reading 6 degres in the car.

technically i saw snow ..... but thats not what i prayed for superman!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im just home college and according to other members of the house there was a full 2 hours of snow here today and it stuck for about an hour with almost an inch on the ground and it has since melted. I was 20 miles away and all we had there (dunboyne) was sleety snow and rain mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ice now tonight looks like a major concern
    Already below 2C in Cork with roads soaking and winds looking to ease early tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep roads are going to be very tricky in the morning! 0C to -3C according to met.ie

• Advertisement

for no snow for later?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there could be more snow from Friday onwards in favoured areas, its looking very cold once again for the weekend and into next week, i'd expect it to be a repeat of this spell gone by, very marginal indeed with dissapointments and surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

On http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp at 17:00 Cork Airport is reporting Recent Snow at 1C.

i want to just look out the window tommoorrow morning to white is that too much to ask for???!??!?!?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Martron wrote: »
    i want to just look out the window tommoorrow morning to white is that too much to ask for???!??!?!?

Short answer
    > Yes.

i know!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd say there's potential for wintry precip alright once the models are in agreement with each other and the temps predicted follow suite. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Any chance of transient snow tomorrow before turning to rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Maybe over ground well inland, with snow covered fields and a little elevation for a short time.
    The mountains above 500 metres will probably keep their snow the rest of us will just get damp.
    After the rain it looks like going back to like now at least until the weekend with almost stuff..but mountains should get a LOT of snow. Tobogganing trips could be planned for the weekend :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Ah well.... the dream was good while it lasted!!

Roll on the next one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

met.ie:
    Tomorrow Wednesday, will be cold, bright and very frosty to begin, with some icy stretches on untreated roads. Mainly dry too, however rain will reach western counties during the morning, extending eastwards later, preceded by some sleet or snow in places. Southerly winds will strengthen and it will gradually turn milder. Highest temperatures 5 to 11 degrees, coolest in the northeast.

Wednesday night will be breezy and relatively mild, with rain, heavy at times. Thursday will bring a return to cold windy weather with sunshine and showers, some wintry. There is a chance of more widespread rain, sleet and snow later in the day. A clearance will follow overnight with frost in many areas. Friday and Saturday will be cold, very windy days with sunny spells and showers, some wintry. There will be frost in sheltered places at night, despite very strong westerly winds.

as expected yesterday's mention of significant accumulations on thursday night have now been dropped from the forecast. it would be very nice if the previous days forecast of significant accumulations turned out to be correct afterall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It was a bit disappointing I must admit although it was interesting to observe this period all the same, which incidentally, is not over. The cold polar maritime regime continues after midweek and like Gonzo observes will bring snowfall to some. Very very difficult to forcast when and where in these circumstances. Higher ground should be nailed for snow though Thursday night and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Snow falling steadily here in County Roscommon...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yep Western areas are in for snow showers but they won't penetrate inland. In any case milder air will be in tomorrow morning so any accumulations should be temporary. Maybe a bit of sleet to precede the rain tomorrow in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I must say i found the pro's very inaccurate this week.
    And not only the Irish Met, I thought the beeb had over ramped this too.
    Very little snow around today even on higher ground. Ok the mountains got some but that's about it.
    The 18z continues the backtrack started this evening by the ecm and ukmo of the jet not diving enough early next week.
    All in all not a great day at the office and being honest i found the last 2 days more draining than fun esp as most of us saw nothing much. It was incredibly dry in between the 2 troughs we got, which rather surprised me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yes the bbc forecast is usually dependable.
    However, as i was saying earlier given the direction we should have known better than to expect widespread snowfall at lower level. It'll likely be the same this weekend where snow will be mainly confined to high ground. what we need is a proper northerly blast to greatly increase our chances of seeing snow fall at lower levels in many locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I got another inch or so during the night, about 4 inches in total and snow sitting since Monday morning (longest in recent memory). The roof is still completely covered in snow & I had to clear the car again today.

So anyone who forecast 4 inches of snow this week was not that far from correct.

However, now raining, so the warm front has arrived. It was nice knowing ye, snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A nice layer of snow in Donegal this morning especially between Ballybofey and Letterkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

woke up this morning and could see that familar haze through the blinds. Another layer of snow this morning which is lying on top of mondays snow. Clear sky's at the minute....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

it;s a waiting game now folks.tokyo issued a strat warming warning and zonal winds goin off the charts so they reckon this will bring the blocking and flood cold air over northern hem.has any of ye been following this in other threads like two or netweather.their charts are shaping up very nice.here's hoping all fall into place.some are suggestin a change to occur first week in feb but i think it will be later.those gfs charts don't pick it up yet so don't be lookin fi.it will find the strat warming very quick shortly and all will change.not the most appro thread for this but just lettin ye know that the best could be yet to come.let's put it this way 'it better'

Advertisement