Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Tests: Mullaghanish

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You should be able to get a perfect picture, DTT has error correction. Here I'm getting DTT off two different masts (two different aerials, loooong story) and the UHF analogue in both cases is snowy and herringboned. Picture is 100% on both TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

thanks for that i may get a new mpeg4 tv after xmass to go whit me new foxsat box.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Same here, I get fairly poor reception from Mullaghanish as I get my RTE off a relay and TV3 off Mullaghanish with a very powerful amp but DTT is full on, full signal and perfect pic with no pixelation.
    Lots of TVs seem to have mpeg4 now, I have it included in my freesat TV so it looks good. hard to even watch analog now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

:confused: Can other DTT users in the South West confirm that Mullaganish DTT is off air with the last day or two ? I have no signal here in North Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

I can confirm no signal at present in North Cork as well:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

yes can confirm no dtt from Mullaghanish today.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

Any one know when it's back up surely not a cooling issue this time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kinsaleferg

I used get 100% reception, been off since 5th. No idea why and not aware of any engineering notice. might try and swivel the aerial over toward Spur Hill to kill an hour

ditto, off in Bandon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

sorry lads have no pictures on tv this evening,intermittent sound,is it something with the transmitter?thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Denethor

I'm assuming given the bad weather that there is no access to the transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Hi Guys,

Could someone tell me if Crosshaven is transmitting DTT?
    In laws considering new tv but would like to know if they'll get the digital channels first. I think they have very poor TV3 in their area at the moment so not sure if this means they won't get DTT either?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Bad reception from analogue does not mean that you won't receive digital. The beauty of digital is that if you receive it, it should be perfect. Somebody in Cork will let you know if reception is available in Crosshaven.

If you get your signal from Spur Hill you should be OK for DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I'm in Crosshaven. No sign of DTT yet - I will put up a note as soon as I see anything.
    The reason they can't get TV3 is that TV3 never paid for installation of the fill-in transmitters in places like Crosshaven - they just went with the 95% of the population that were covered by the main RTE sites and tough titty on the rest of us. Some people in Crosser can get TV3 by aiming a specific antenna for TV3 up the river (ie west) but it's quite iffy. I can get it upstairs (sometimes) on a rabbits ears, but not downstairs.

Anyway - DTT will solve their problem. All the multiplex is transmitted on the same carrier so if we get RTE1 we'll get 2, TV3, TG4 and RTE News channels.

Are they getting their signal from the Crosshaven transmitter at present? If so they should have absolutely no problem and get a perfectly clear noise-free picture from all 5 channels.

db

Cheers fellas. Yes, they get their signal from crosshaven at the moment. Is there any 'schedule' that RTENL are working too with regards to updating transmitters? Do we expect it this year sometime in Crosshaven for instance?

Cheers fellas. Yes, they get their signal from crosshaven at the moment. Is there any 'schedule' that RTENL are working too with regards to updating transmitters? Do we expect it this year sometime in Crosshaven for instance?

Crosshaven was expected to be completed by Q3 2009, obviously running behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RTE tendered for the upgrade of 13 relay sites last Feb. Crosshaven wasn't on the list.

See this post.

Cheers Cush - so basically it seems that Crosshaven is out in the cold till further upgrade notices are released. Ah well, all good things eh. There's always Sky :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Riordd01

Can any one tell me if Mullaghanish DDT is stil off the air. I have no signal in Carrigaline. Tanks.

Riordd01 wrote: »
    Can any one tell me if Mullaghanish DDT is stil off the air. I have no signal in Carrigaline. Tanks.

Yes, still off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CorkMaths.ie

Still out here too

Analogue gone also from Mullaghanish this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

saw this on the Kerry Radio website

Engineers work to restore television signal to Kerry

Householders across Kerry were left with no television signal last night due to an ESB mains break. According to engineers with RTE the unplanned break in transmission happened at 20 past 10 last night. Due to the nature of the mast site access was difficult but most services were restored by 12.30. TG4 transmission was fixed at half 8 this morning. However, some households are still reported breaks in transmission and engineers say this is due to antenna damage at the Mullaghanish site caused by lightening and ice. Teams are waiting for a thaw before full repairs can be carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FrostyTheSnowMa

Anyone have an idea when the DTT will start up again from Mullaghanish?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The Cush wrote: »
    RTE tendered for the upgrade of 13 relay sites last Feb. Crosshaven wasn't on the list.

See this post.

I know I'm being pedantic but some of those DTT relays are not at existing sites. They are brand new as part of analogue switchover.

Also, would TV3 terrestrial coverage be more around the 80-85% population coverage mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I'm in Crosshaven. No sign of DTT yet - I will put up a note as soon as I see anything.
    The reason they can't get TV3 is that TV3 never paid for installation of the fill-in transmitters in places like Crosshaven - they just went with the 95% of the population that were covered by the main RTE sites and tough titty on the rest of us. Some people in Crosser can get TV3 by aiming a specific antenna for TV3 up the river (ie west) but it's quite iffy. I can get it upstairs (sometimes) on a rabbits ears, but not downstairs.

Anyway - DTT will solve their problem. All the multiplex is transmitted on the same carrier so if we get RTE1 we'll get 2, TV3, TG4 and RTE News channels.

Are they getting their signal from the Crosshaven transmitter at present? If so they should have absolutely no problem and get a perfectly clear noise-free picture from all 5 channels.

db

Most people in Crosshaven can receive Tv3 and also DTT from Mullaganish (when it gets repaired). Problem for most folks is they also have an aerial for South Coast pointing at Camden.(group A also). Take that aerial off, change polarity to from vertical to horizontal, point it up the river and should be grand.
    South Coast gone very soon ,I think.

when is soon though, South Coast's digital seems to have become a failure and I wonder how long til SC just goes defunct

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

I sent a mail to RTENL a few days ago about the DTT transmission and this is the response I received this evening.

"
    Hi Cillian,

DTT services will resume at Mullaghanish on a test service basis until the official launch of DTT later in 2010. The reason it is off currently is due to antenna damaged sustained during the recent freezing weather. I can’t be definitive regarding a restoration date at this time.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian Geraghty
    Interference Manager"

Rippy wrote: »
    Most people in Crosshaven can receive Tv3 and also DTT from Mullaganish (when it gets repaired). Problem for most folks is they also have an aerial for South Coast pointing at Camden.(group A also). Take that aerial off, change polarity to from vertical to horizontal, point it up the river and should be grand.
    South Coast gone very soon ,I think.

That's really interesting Rippy - the inlaws are currently receiving south coast so does this mean they could do as you say and repoint aerial to crosshaven (or did you mean Mullaganish) and get DTT?

Do you think it would it be possible to put up another aerial and combine the signals into 1 down cable? This would have the advantage of keeping the SCTV service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

does this mean they could do as you say and repoint aerial

yes to Mullaghanish,

Advertisement