Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Tests: Mullaghanish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Not a hope of seeing them FTA on DTT, testing or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Not a hope of seeing them FTA on DTT, testing or otherwise

Ok, it was only wishfull thinking. Have them all via satellite anyway, it's just the novelty and excitement of Dtt !

Had test card on TV3 earlier this afternoon, back now but Epg gone. Can anyone else using Mullaghanish for Dtt confirm the same or is it just me ? All four TV channels fine, but no epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MPEG4

galtee boy wrote: »
    Had test card on TV3 earlier this afternoon, back now but Epg gone. Can anyone else using Mullaghanish for Dtt confirm the same or is it just me ? All four TV channels fine, but no epg.

The EPG was running last night for all 4 channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

i can see the new mast is going up its about a third the hight off the old mast at the moment, is there a crane to raise up to 700 feet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

sweet.... brilliants news that. Any change of a few zoomed photos Vince?? I will be on the main N22 Killarney Cork road Tuesday so I will popup a few also. How is the DTT receiving going from Mullaghanish now? I hope to receive it on my Freeview HD receiver from New Zealand when it clears customs this week and I receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Mullaghanish is coming in loud and clear with EPG present

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

TheDriver wrote: »
    Mullaghanish is coming in loud and clear with EPG present

But test card on TV3 again :(
    I wonder if this is to do with OneVision announcement today?

I should have kept my mouth shut!!!

Picked up DTT from Mullaghanish today for the first time with my new receiver which I imported from NZ.

• Advertisement

I passed by it on the N22 and took a few photos from the road. Work seems well underway.

thats big! is the smaller one the new one being built?

nice pics. do they use a crane? they just have cranes big enough for wind turbines. it will be 750 feet how big is dublins spire. i ll get up there soon for a look

TheDriver wrote: »
    thats big! is the smaller one the new one being built?

No the smaller one on the right hand side is used for Radio links for Broadband and other general connectivity. Airspeed and Smart Telecom offer services off it plus others. The one on the left which is the 2nd tallest is the new one I think.
    vince wrote: »
    nice pics. do they use a crane? they just have cranes big enough for wind turbines. it will be 750 feet how big is dublins spire. i ll get up there soon for a look

I think the far left hand mast is the new one and there is a crane which crawls up along it adding the modular units which would allow it grow as tall as the crane cables and gravity would allow! If you zoom in one of my photos alot you can just make out the crane on the tip of it. I wonder what will they do with the old tower? 100mbps wimax anyone?

The Dublin spire is 120metres or 390ft tall. So the new Mullaghanish tower will be considerably taller.

intresting i ll drive up some day id like to see the crane

Rippy wrote: »
    But test card on TV3 again :(
    I wonder if this is to do with OneVision announcement today?

TV3 was back on this evening as I was testing reception at another house at a similar alltitude to myself and received everything perfectly. There will be big demand for DTT where I live as our Analogue Terrestrial reception from Mullaghanish is very bad and the RTÉ Relay only covers a small portion of the effected footprint as it has only 10w of power. I hope to be testing another suitable box soon and will report accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

The new mast is on the left, that'll be 750ft when finished (as already pointed out).

The middle mast is the current one, that's 600ft.

And again as pointed out, the tower on the right is the services tower for links etc.

Autumn is the scheduled finish date and the old one will be gradually dismantled.

It's a German company who have the contract.

intresting i ll drive up some day id like to see the crane

vince took a trip to Mullaghanish today and took some photos, He illustrates the work underway there very well. It is interesting to note the amount of tie-downs to both masts, I thought the actual structure was more rigid but the tie-downs provide all the tension it needs to keep in upright.

My signal reception was pixalated and quality down low today during a real heavy shower so I think I will have to get a higher gain antenna and move it to the chimney. (This is a different location to the Mountain in my photos) as I am moving my receiver between 4 different houses on a regular basis and keeping a track of reception.

Good work Vince and this keeps the other members well informed of progress at Mullaghanish. :)

yea it was interesting i have more photos of it. the cables were slack at the moment there was also temp cables runing upto the top. there was no structure on the ground that i could see. the crane intrests me how do they move it higher up and is the mast raised in short sections. it seems to be going up fast, i will keep an eye on it i have to drive 3 miles to get a view of it. i live 20 miles south of the site. it was pouring rain when we got there you could see nothing but as we neared the top it cleared up luckily for us. a wind farm now surrounds the west to northern lower sides of the mountain.

the new mast is nearly the same hieght as the old one now

• Advertisement

the new mast is nearly the same hieght as the old one now

Cool, I must try get up there while the current spell of good weather continues. Incidentally did anyone notice RNAG not broadcasting (present but mute) in the DTT radio lineup, I spotted this Tuesday evening but haven't looked since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

latest pic.

Will this aerial pick up the transmission ?

John mac wrote: »
    latest pic.

Will this aerial pick up the transmission ?

I have one of those Aerials in my attic with a mast head amplifier and I cannot receive the signal in great quality (it is pixalated badly). However it does pick it up so if I had my aerial on the roof it would pick it up so I would say that your Aerial will receive the signals providing it is pointing at Mullaghanish and you have the necessary set top box or Integrated TV for receiving the digital transmissions. You may need an amplifier but you may already have this for receiving TV3 and TG4 in Analogue.

thats fine then.

Its for the parents . am going to get a mvision combi box so hopefully it will all work.
    as you can see from the first pic you can see the transmitter from the house (about 6 miles ).

what aerial are you using ? seeing as you are not too far from Macroom.

I have the same aerial too, don't think you would need an amp being so close but could be wrong. Only thing is that you can get those aerials in dwyers for 20 euro brand new if you going to be taking it down and back up again.
    I have the aerial in my attic with an amp in Bandon

that one is pionting twoards the mast so i wont have to do much with it , its only on a bungalow so not hard to get at.

John mac wrote: »
    what aerial are you using ? seeing as you are not too far from Macroom.

I bought a new cheap UHF aerial today along with a new Masthead Amp and powersupply for it. I temporarily mounted it on my yet to be finished motorised Dish mount, but will move to a different part of the house when I mount it permanently. I got a good signal on my eXtra terrerstrial receiver from New Zealand and likewise with my Panasonic TX-L32G10L. The picture on the Panasonic was absolutely brilliant and definitely on a par with Sky if not better. Old fashioned Aertel works extremely fast on it too. All TV and Radio channels plus RTÉNL Test were present also.

I have the same aerial as you John mac in my attic for Analogue and could have used it for DTT but have several feeds from it and the Analogue picture is good enough at the moment so I decided to let good enough alone and just replicate the gear instead.

I forgot to add that I will be taking new photos of Mullaghanish tomorrow hopefully so stay tuned... pardon the pun.

Anyone else lose the Epg from Mullaganish since this morning ? Pictures still fine here, but Epg and now and next etc are gone.

• Advertisement

same here, data gone

Advertisement