Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Tests: Mullaghanish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Same here Mullaghanish and Woodcock Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Any chance of receiving this in service in Tallow??
    The aul sky sub is rumored to be going up so would like to look for an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

staker wrote: »
    Any chance of receiving this in service in Tallow??
    The aul sky sub is rumored to be going up so would like to look for an alternative.

It sure is I got a letter about it yesterday morning. My €46 (including €0.75 CC surchagre) for 6 mixes and Sky HD is going up to €47 on January 1st 2010.

I got new photos taken on Saturday but only got them up today. Mullaghanish seems to have increased its output wattage alot in the last two days as I have begun receiving DTT on my Panasonic TX-L32G10L through my old aerial in the attic for the first time and I have altered nothing in my setup.

I have a new Aerial and Masthead amp for to mount the Aerial outside for optimum signal and if they are broadcasting at this power or higher full time then I would have to change nothing leaving me stuck with a new aerial and masthead amp :eek:. However I think I will use it as I still prefer to have a dedicated Aerial for DTT and distribution to the bedrooms.

No EPG here either on RTE1, RTE2, TV3 OR TG4, I am getting An Aimsir Laithreach on TG4 for Wimbledon :confused: with the time as 00.35 so I presume either my TV has cached the EPG or this is what is being broadcast.

I also spruced up the Mullaghanish Wiki article today while I was at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

All is well From Mullaghanish.
    set up mvision today with powered Rabbits ears in attic. crystal clear picture. (I think its better than satelite, also have the sky card).
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 dugganb

Hi All,

Is the new (taller) mast now in Operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

No, and not for while yet. Bad weather this summer causing delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

What are the plans for the old mast? Will it be dismantled and everything transferred across to the new mast?

Most likely I reckon, they should however move it a new site where DTT would be patchy from the main transmitters.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not particularly easy to just move a mast, particularly not one thats likely life expired at this stage! "new site" would require land purchase, planning permission, power, data links, frequency alignment, etc, so isn't going to happen anyway.

• Advertisement

Speaking of new sites, are there still plans for a main transmitter at Kilduff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

MYOB wrote: »
    Its not particularly easy to just move a mast, particularly not one thats likely life expired at this stage! "new site" would require land purchase, planning permission, power, data links, frequency alignment, etc, so isn't going to happen anyway.

The cost isnt in the actual mast anyway its in the commisioning and building of the site along with all the items above. Probably cheaper to erect a new custom designed mast on a new site than shoehorn an old mast into a new site.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Karsini wrote: »
    Speaking of new sites, are there still plans for a main transmitter at Kilduff?

Planning permission was granted in Aug 2008 (http://www.tipperarynorth.ie/eplan40/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=08510670)
    Tender notice was published at the end of Mar 2009 (http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=MAR116067, http://www.rte.ie/about/tenders/kilduff/) with an estimated work start date of Jun 1st and completion date Jul 17th. Don't know if the tender was awarded.

The old mast will be dismantled section by section. There won't be a day when they just flick a switch and start using the new one. Services will be relocated to the new mast on a phased basis according to a schedule.

For most operators that means new feeder cable, link dishes and transmit antenna. As services are moved they will start switching them on. When all services have been relocated they will then start stripping the old one and dismantling it.

The old mast will not be re-used. It was built in 1963.

Some operators on site include:

RTE TV & Radio
    DTT Mux Operator
    TG4
    TV3
    Today FM
    Newstalk
    Radio Kerry
    Vodafone
    Meteor
    Eircom
    Irish Broadband
    Permanet
    ESB
    Defence Forces
    Emergency Services
    Amatuer Radio
    Civil Aviation Authority

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

I was informed that RTE Radio 1 ( 9O.O ) was off from Mullaghanish for a spell today sometime before midday - was obviously not related to the mast work as other radio services were still on.

More Music wrote: »
    Some operators on site include:

[snip]

I notice driving through Baile Bhúirne that some of the houses have microwave aerials pointed in the direction of the mast. I'm fairly sure that they are for television, as they have small downconverters dangling off the cable - typical half-arsed installation - whereas the microwave aerials used for internet tend to have much larger transceivers firmly bolted onto the aerial.

Do Chorus use Mullaghanish?

I haven't noticed those aerials you mentioned.

What type/shape? Mesh, solid, yagi. Rectangular, square etc...?

Chorus do not use Mullaghanish.

More Music wrote: »
    I haven't noticed those aerials you mentioned.

You obviously don't spend as much time looking up at chimneys as I do :)

Standard MMDS type 2.6GHz aerials. Took these driving through yesterday evening, bit dark so quality isn't great. Second one is on top of the Mills Inn. You can see they are aligned with the VHF/UHF aerials.

3954814435_2b4ea32e5b_o.jpg

3954814507_1fa1dc3d0a_o.jpg

As you say they are identical to the Chorus ones. Chorus are 100% not on Mullaghanish.

I have seen those aerials used by Permanet before.

I've seen the Permanet ones too, but their up-/downconverter unit is very different.

• Advertisement

Apogee wrote: »
    I've seen the Permanet ones too, but their up-/downconverter unit is very different.

My parents have a Permanet aerial on their roof, since I'm down here I can provide a pic tomorrow if you like.

Permanet aerial directed towards Knockanore, Co. Kerry. Note the large transceiver on the top of the mast. Also a VHF log periodic for Mullaghanish and a UHF C/D contract yagi for Maghera.

92208.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

based on recent experience with a laptop and USB stick DVB-T tuner could I suggest if you live in East Cork ie anywhere from Dunkettle Roundabout to Youghal - you might be better aiming your antenna at Mount Leinster and tuning in 666MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dugganb

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    based on recent experience with a laptop and USB stick DVB-T tuner could I suggest if you live in East Cork ie anywhere from Dunkettle Roundabout to Youghal - you might be better aiming your antenna at Mount Leinster and tuning in 666MHz.

I think that's Spur Hill in Cork you are picking up,

dugganb wrote: »
    I think that's Spur Hill in Cork you are picking up,
    Maybe - I was surprised to pick it up to be honest - but the frequency I set in VLC was 666000KHz - which is Mount Leinster as far as I know. Could someone post up the frequency for Spur Hill (and Collins Barracks)?
    Also - if it were Spur Hill - wouldn't it get stronger after going through the Tunnel toward Douglas?
    I must take an hour or two and drive close to Spur Hill etc and try a retune. In Crosshaven we seem to be in a black hole.

Maybe - I was surprised to pick it up to be honest - but the frequency I set in VLC was 666000KHz - which is Mount Leinster as far as I know. Could someone post up the frequency for Spur Hill (and Collins Barracks)?
    Also - if it were Spur Hill - wouldn't it get stronger after going through the Tunnel toward Douglas?
    I must take an hour or two and drive close to Spur Hill etc and try a retune. In Crosshaven we seem to be in a black hole.

Yes 666 MHz ( ch 45) is Spur Hill DTT (as well as M.L.)
    Some parts of Douglas would be very shadowed by the terrain in between. On the other hand you can see the red light on top of Spur Hill mast on the N25 whilst driving when at least 15 miles away to the east
    There is no DTT from Collins Barracks mast AFAIK

In Crosshaven you would likely be able to get DTT with a good rooftop or attic aerial depending exactly where you are, if desperate. Most likely from Mullaghanish 474 MHz Ch21 (horizontal), another possibility might be Dungarvan 802MHz Ch62 (also horizontal) if you're blocked from Mullaghanish.

BTW The RTE mast in Crosshaven is planned to use the same channel(s) as Spur Hill for DTT, but that is not active for DTT as of now.

BTW I'd prefer if frequencies for DTT were listed here in MHz , not kHz :)

Thanks Antenna.
    Crosshaven is a problem area - TV3 never installed the transmitter at the local fill-in site so those of us on the chore facing North can't get it (mind you with the total drivel that is TV3/ITV1 I don't really mind!). Some folks further along The Point get it from over Cobh direction, others seem to be aimed at Midleton - maybe they are getting it from South Coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fuzionzone

Hi, Can anyone tell me if a Digital Signal on Ch21 is broadcastging from Mullaghanish ?

I am in Tralee and have been getting no digital signal for over 3 weeks.

Any infos would be appreciated ? - Many thanks - FZ

Thanks Antenna.
    Crosshaven is a problem area - TV3 never installed the transmitter at the local fill-in site so those of us on the chore facing North can't get it (mind you with the total drivel that is TV3/ITV1 I don't really mind!). Some folks further along The Point get it from over Cobh direction, others seem to be aimed at Midleton - maybe they are getting it from South Coast.

Unlike some 'deflectors' in the West of Ireland who do transmit TV3 where needed, South Coast does not do so on UHF.

If viewers in the areas you mention are getting TV3 by aiming aerial in a strange direction, its probably a signal reflection off the Aghada power station

• Advertisement

fuzionzone wrote: »
    Hi, Can anyone tell me if a Digital Signal on Ch21 is broadcastging from Mullaghanish ?

I am in Tralee and have been getting no digital signal for over 3 weeks.

Any infos would be appreciated ? - Many thanks - FZ

its still on but I think might be on reduced power.

what is your reception of analogue TV3 (from Mullaghanish) on Ch 27 like?

Advertisement