Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Tests: Mullaghanish

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

http://www.alibaba.com/member/tr109252524/aboutus.html. They make ten million set top boxes a year and take up to twenty five percent of the European market. Unusual that they don't have information on their boxes on the official website. I noticed that fact over a year ago yet Vestel mention them on the site above. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

What happens if a saorview product is also a freeview product and gets updates from both systems?
    According to Watty earlier he said that as Saorview uses the Nordig system it will not provide over the air updates and vice versa for the Freeview HD set top boxes and televisions as they use the D Book spec. :) I don't think that any product will be a product for both systems and have the exact same firmware inside. Maybe if a country setting is used though and there are modifications to the software for both Ireland and the UK possibly when I think about it now? It would suit us here in Ireland if we could receive both Freeview and Saorview updates seamlessly on the one box or television.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What happens if a saorview product is also a freeview product and gets updates from both systems?

Logically and hypothetically, (unless maybe it's a Panasonic ;) )
    If it only "sees" Freeview, it only gets Freeview OTA, Saorview would be irrelevant.

If it only "sees" Saorview, it only gets Saorview OTA, Freeview would be irrelevant.

If it sees both transmission systems then it can get either. Since such a hypothetical box has a single firmware that does both systems any needed update would be on both systems and EITHER update will do. logically if it sees both systems on the air and amazingly both offer the update at same time, then it would choose the stronger signal. As would be the case of a Freeview or Saorview only system that receives different transmitter sites that are not an SFN.

If such a lovely dual certified box existed then logically either update method delivers the same actual firmware content.

A dual certified box will NOT have two firmwares, unless it's sold as two really separate models.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

watty wrote: »
    If such a lovely dual certified box existed ... .

Ahhhh if only:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Maybe Humax might come out with something. They certainly have the right product, and proberbly could adjust the firmware to get certification on both standards. I am not sure if dual certification is actually feasible, as the two standards might be in conflict on some issues.

The issues I am aware of are LCNs and Teletext. Also OA updates. There are others, no doubt.

• Advertisement

It's quite possible to have both even if incompatible simply by "Country" selection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »
    It's quite possible to have both even if incompatible simply by "Country" selection.

Yes, but that is not the point being discussed here. If we had joint certification (say UK joined Nordig) then we would have one firmware.

At the moment, the UK D book is not a public document, so no-one outside the D Book circulation, no-one can be certain what is involved.

You can have one firmware TODAY and dual Certified TODAY, but it's possible that only fully Freeview (inc HD) Compatible if you select UK, and only fully Saorview if you select Ireland. That's possible for a Dual certified box today.

Even if you could be fully compatible with both at same time (due mostly to small changes to Freeview HD, or even if UK changed to Nordig 2.2 + MHEG5, which won't happen), you STILL have to pick Ireland or UK in Setup for it to do the primary channels Placement if both can be received.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what new channels are being broadcast from Mullaghanish? I got a notice on my TV two days ago to re-tune, I just want to know if it's worth the hassle of doing a re-tune on panasonic G10B model.

Cheers,
    Cillo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Not really - it's an extra service position on your channel list, but it points at the same test card video and audio.

• Advertisement

cillo2000 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what new channels are being broadcast from Mullaghanish? I got a notice on my TV two days ago to re-tune, I just want to know if it's worth the hassle of doing a re-tune on panasonic G10B model.

Cheers,
    Cillo

Don't retune a G10B, possibly ever again. You'll lose the TV channels if you do, at present you'd just be left with the two test cards.

Karsini wrote: »
    Don't retune a G10B, possibly ever again. You'll lose the TV channels if you do, at present you'd just be left with the two test cards.

That's why I want to know if it's worth the hassle of doing the hex mod and re-tune as I did before a few months back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hi Guys,

Cheers,
    Cillo

I did the retune and it left me with just one test card and wiped the rest, will have to backup from my SD backup I made when I did the hex edit. I will just wait until RTE gets a proper epg lineup and launch the service proper so as to have a more permanent lineup.

That's why I want to know if it's worth the hassle of doing the hex mod and re-tune as I did before a few months back.

Ah ok, sorry. Didn't know you did the GW10 mod. If you already have 3e then you're probably not missing much right now except a test card or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Stinicker wrote: »
    I did the retune and it left me with just one test card and wiped the rest, will have to backup from my SD backup I made when I did the hex edit. I will just wait until RTE gets a proper epg lineup and launch the service proper so as to have a more permanent lineup.

Is how to do this hex edit outlined somewhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Is how to do this hex edit outlined somewhere?

I wrote up how to do it here a few months ago.

Read the whole thread first to get the overall picture and be read all the instructions and then re-read to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

2nd Mux running at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Voyager II wrote: »
    2nd Mux running at the moment

It's been on and off in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

It's been on and off in recent times.

Is this a ref to Mullaghanish ?

And is Glanmire a relay fed by Mullaghanish ?

On two DTT STBs , I'm getting 'no signal' for the last two days.

I'm afraid to retune -I'd lose all refs possibly.

I'm back on analogue and that's poor enough too. :confused::confused:

A.

Anchises wrote: »
    Is this a ref to Mullaghanish ?

Yes, my post was in direct reply to your post in the Mullaghanish tread.
    Anchises wrote: »
    And is Glanmire a relay fed by Mullaghanish ?

Short answer - don't know. Could be Mullaghanish, Spur Hill or other.

Glanmire could be down for maintenance, remember Saorview is only a public trial service and still subject to interruption until the full public launch.

Why are you afraid to retune? The retuning issue has only affected certain non-compliant Panasonic TVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I rescanned and they all came back :)

I thought if i trescanned, I'd lose what was already stored and that would have made it more difficult to monitor for retune of signal. While tuned to RTE1 and dispalying 'no signal' , a sudden picture would have indicated return of service..... maybe that's strange logic ?

In any case -they are back.. Could it be that it *needed * rescanning due to some tweak at the tramsmitter end ?

A.

On Mux 2 tonight from Mullaghanish the RTÉ 2 HD channel isn't showing any video but is carrying the audio for the channel.

No problems with the RTÉ 2 HD channel on Mux 1 Mullaghanish or Woodcock Hill.

Hi Guys,

Now that Saorview has officially launched, has anyone seen their signal strength increase in the last few days? I e-mailed RTENL a month ago and they said Mullaghanish would broadcast at full power at the end of May/launch date.

This has been reflected in their coverage map - all previous blue areas (uncovered) are now green (covered).

I'm not sure if anyone will remember their signal strength before launch, but I would be interested to know.

Also is there anyone in the grey area (not covered) but still receiving a weak watchable signal?

Now that Saorview has officially launched, has anyone seen their signal strength increase in the last few days? I e-mailed RTENL a month ago and they said Mullaghanish would broadcast at full power at the end of May/launch date.

My brother says his reception of Mullaghanish has become steady in the last few days, prior to that due to the location of his house, aerial etc there was fairly regular breakup. 94-97% signal strength and 100% signal quality now.

Advertisement