Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mess

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

We have 4 AMK's (applied medical knowledge exam) every year...125 MCQs over 3 hours. For my third one, I fell asleep as the sun was shining right on me.

Have to repeat my clinical competency. Twas a combined CV/resp/GI exam. Got everything perfect but at the start my friend (who I was doing the exam on) smiled, I got the giggles and forgot to wash my hands, fail! And they're making me repeat on the same day as my end of year knowledge exam! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

We have 4 AMK's (applied medical knowledge exam) every year...125 MCQs over 3 hours. For my third one, I fell asleep as the sun was shining right on me.

Have to repeat my clinical competency. Twas a combined CV/resp/GI exam. Got everything perfect but at the start my friend (who I was doing the exam on) smiled, I got the giggles and forgot to wash my hands, fail! And they're making me repeat on the same day as my end of year knowledge exam! :(

Don't worry about it, chunkster. Once you're out in the working world, no-one cares or remembers who failed what, as long as you work hard. In particular as a junior doc, more than half your work is made up of stuff you never learned at med school. It's only a means to an end.

I never failed an exam at uni until I tripped up in one part of my finals. Scared the hell outa me. Repeated 3 days later and passed. But I didn't even remember it once I was an intern.

You'll do fine :D

On a more positive note.....as a diehard sunderland football club supporter, the news that Alan Shearer is going to be west brom's new manager has made me very happy. I would LOVE of he got them promoted at Newcastle's expense :pac:

Alan Shearer never made it to West Brom. My dad rang me about that supposed "fact" after reading it in a tabloid. Very disappointing.

are people finished exams and stuff now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Yup! Results were leaked....looks like I passed (though don't want to jinx by saying I'm definitely into second year yet). Also passed my repeat :D

No comment on the footbally stuff sorry :p

it's 6pm here. Still in bed. Have been most of the day. Think it's been almost 4 weeks since my last day off! Knackered.

Handed in my last assignment of the term last night, so now I don't have any uni work til the end of july :D

Just planning my trip to port moresby, in PNG, for late august on a HIV programme. This makes me worried though:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/sep/22/population.davidfickling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

sounds like an interesting place alright - you will come back with a few new orifices anyway!

Don't forget your malaria prophylaxis!

Never thought about malaria up there actually. Need to look into that.

The thought of extra orifices fills me with dread. A few years ago a nurse up there was injured in an RTA, and while she was in her car waiting for the ambulance she was pulled out of the car and gang raped. Apparently, it was in PNG where the phrase "pack rape" was coined. I don't even really know what that is. But I think it's another version of a "line up" where people don't wait their turn.

Jesus, it would make your skin crawl. But it's only for a month, so hopefully I'll make it back in one piece.

There's falciparum and vivax there - and there is a new monkey malaria spreading about in thailand - don't know if it has hit PNG yet (plasmodium knowlesi)

It looks like P. malariae but acts like falciparum. Bad news.

Also make sure you get your Hepatitis A shot.

Watch out for extra orifices.

So, eh, how many new orifices are acceptable over a 4 week period? At what point should I walk away and say enough is enough? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

DrIndy wrote: »
    There's falciparum and vivax there - and there is a new monkey malaria spreading about in thailand - don't know if it has hit PNG yet (plasmodium knowlesi)

Did Beyonce get it? ****ter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

WhoOo for D&V! Can't work in the unit tomorrow. Extra day to get over Liverpool. :D

Officially accepted my offer from CAO today so no turning back now!!!

Reading a book about a nurse's training in the 1950's in England. Bring back the Matrons I say!!

Only 20 weeks til I come home in december :D

Has anyone booked a venue for the biomed xmas beers yet? :P

Indy, ru coming home for chrimbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

tallaght01 wrote: »
    QUOTE]

jesus is it only 20 weeks til chistmas??
    how many shopping days is that :p

Has anyone booked a venue for the biomed xmas beers yet? :P

Indy, ru coming home for chrimbo?

Oh no. Hopefully I'll be out of the country. :)

And don't even think about mentioning Club Nassau!

Sam, xmas shopping starts today as far as I'm concerned. I'm already looking at presents for my godson (which is a bit premature, seeing as I still haven't got him a pressie for his bday last month!).

Larianne....to get you in the mood for some club nassau 80s tunes, here's this weeks Tallaght01 guilty pleasure.....I bought "101 hits of the 80s" the other day, and now I can't stop humming this....

here's this weeks Tallaght01 guilty pleasure.....I bought "101 hits of the 80s" the other day, and now I can't stop humming this....]

yards, nay, miles.... thats how much you've just dropped in my estimation!

here's this weeks Tallaght01 guilty pleasure.....I bought "101 hits of the 80s" the other day, and now I can't stop humming this....

Never heard this song in my life!! They must pay you to go into that club.

I have heard it - just not for ages and ages and ages and ages........

Still daft though....

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

The title of that song when released was ''my baby took the morning train'' and when they released it in the states they changed it to ''morning train'' because the Americans didn't get it! lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Was the name not changed to avoid confusion with Dolly Parton's "9 to 5"?
    The song is rubbish regardless.

I can remember blasting this song through the speakers over and over again on the morning of my final anatomy exam.
    Sa.....sa......sartorius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

sam34 wrote: »
    if anyone is selling a "concentration, motivation and get-your-ass-in-gear" pill, i'll ahve a year's supply please!

now, off i go to catch some kip...

Hey Sam,
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but you're the Psychiatrist here.
    Could you not write yourself an oul' Ritalin script?
    L-M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Sam, xmas shopping starts today as far as I'm concerned. I'm already looking at presents for my godson (which is a bit premature, seeing as I still haven't got him a pressie for his bday last month!).

Larianne....to get you in the mood for some club nassau 80s tunes, here's this weeks Tallaght01 guilty pleasure.....I bought "101 hits of the 80s" the other day, and now I can't stop humming this....

What the hell did poor Sheena do if she needed to take a pee in that green yoke she was wearing?

Hey Sam,
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but you're the Psychiatrist here.
    Could you not write yourself an oul' Ritalin script?
    L-M

believe me, i considered it!!

jaysus, it's only 5 months to St Stephen's day

thats it, shure 5 months today christmas will be over for another year.
    we'll be starting to notice a grand stretch in the evenings by then.

When will you and your wolly hat be gracing us with your presence?

Roughly december 3rd or 4th, for 6 weeks :D

I'm just gonna see how many calender weeks that is :D

Roughly december 3rd or 4th, for 6 weeks :D

I'm just gonna see how many calender weeks that is :D

Yeah, keep me posted on that! :rolleyes:

So, it's just over 20 weeks. I'm trying to get my department to fund me going on a course at the beginning of december. So, if they agree to shell out for that I'll be delayed by a week. But we'll see what happens.

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    Yeah, keep me posted on that! :rolleyes:

Don't be pretendin you're not excited at the thought of layin down some moves in club nassau ;)

Advertisement