Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mess

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Thanks for the advice. :pac:
    I was just curious as to how much knowledge most docs would retain throughout their years.
    Not just with regards to biochem, but with anatomy, pharmacology, physiology, e.t.c.
    I will admit though, that the old biochem seems to be the easiest to forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

tallaght01 wrote: »
    So, I started my masters in Public Health today. A full day of international health policy. It was great :D
    I am interested in doing this course. Do you have any advice for others considering it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

milly4ever wrote: »
    I am interested in doing this course. Do you have any advice for others considering it? Thanks
    One of the entry criteria is having a tallaght-crossed-with-glasgow accent. Very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

milly4ever wrote: »

Well, you usually need a medical degree, or something related. You also need about 2 years postgrad work experience, if you do it in Ireland.

I love my course, though, and the job that goes with it :D
    DrIndy wrote: »
    One of the entry criteria is having a tallaght-crossed-with-glasgow accent. Very strange.

Says the guy with a Norway/Donegal accent. Now THAT is a crazy-ass voice :P

When you comin over this side of the world, dude?

I'll be joining you fairly soon - bloody papertrail is so long - everything is sent and now its the waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Only 14 hours to go to the GAMSAT :eek:

I'll be joining you fairly soon - bloody papertrail is so long - everything is sent and now its the waiting game.

Well, it'll be nice to see you again when u arrive...in 2011 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Thanks for the advice. :pac:
    I was just curious as to how much knowledge most docs would retain throughout their years.
    Not just with regards to biochem, but with anatomy, pharmacology, physiology, e.t.c.
    I will admit though, that the old biochem seems to be the easiest to forget.

The flexor carpi ulnaris inserts at the 5th metacarpal via hamate & pisiform... :rolleyes:

Nevermind a doctor, I have yet to meet a 2nd year who remembers all those silly insertions, origins that they were forced to learn in 1st year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    The flexor carpi ulnaris inserts at the 5th metacarpal via hamate & pisiform... :rolleyes:

Nevermind a doctor, I have yet to meet a 2nd year who remembers all those silly insertions, origins that they were forced to learn in 1st year.

Totally agree, when I did it it was very didactic in terms of teaching and practical usage was not considered.
    It was only while working in AE that I discovered the ankle sprain uaually involves the ATFL .

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Got interview for Physio in Trinity next Wednesday. :)

• Advertisement

Congrats. Do you know who will be interviewing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The place I'm heading to is sorting out my visa application for me. And they're paying for part of my flights!

Yes I am a jammy bastard.

The place I'm heading to is sorting out my visa application for me. And they're paying for part of my flights!

Yes I am a jammy bastard.

I got 3k aus dollar to cover my flights. I thought everyone gets that. I think they're short changing u!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I got 3k aus dollar to cover my flights. I thought everyone gets that. I think they're short changing u!!!!
    :(

EDIT - In fairness you were a reg heading over, weren't you?

Congrats. Do you know who will be interviewing you?

I guess Juliette Hussey and then two others... like last year when I completely fecked up the interview. :o Hopefully that won't occur this time.

Depends on the hospital!

I get $2500 relocation costs.

My hospital is helping me out too - but in fairness there is so much you need to do yourself regarding paperwork it makes little difference.

I should be there in may! See you in brissie for a XXXX!

Larianne wrote: »
    I guess Juliette Hussey and then two others... like last year when I completely fecked up the interview. :o Hopefully that won't occur this time.

Hmmmmm, haven't come across her yet. The best of luck to you. Keep your cool and sure you'll be grrrrrrand.
    Hope to see you stumbling around the anatomy lab next year. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

After 4 1/2 months waiting I'm finally registered with An Bord Altranais. *dances* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

four and a half months............jesus wept why so long?

I'm not entirely sure why so long... it did take a while to send all the required information from differing bodies (current employment, 2 univerisities and the hospital I trained at) and then once they received it all it took them 4 weeks to decide. I'm just so glad its done and that I don't have to do a conversion course. :)

• Advertisement

four and a half months............jesus wept why so long?

I think she was lucky. I knew a nurse in New Zealand who came over and had to wait 9 months for registration. 9 poxy months. The gestation time for a human baby!!!

She spent the entire time working on the tills in dunnes, while we were strapped for nurses. She's one of the best nurses I've ever worked with too.

I knew a nurse in New Zealand who came over and had to wait 9 months for registration. 9 poxy months. The gestation time for a human baby!!!

Was that for UK registration? That is the standard time for the UK, whereas Ireland is 4-6 months. I decided on Ireland because the wait for registration was far quicker, plus the UK makes everyone sit expensive English exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I think she was lucky. I knew a nurse in New Zealand who came over and had to wait 9 months for registration. 9 poxy months. The gestation time for a human baby!!!

She spent the entire time working on the tills in dunnes, while we were strapped for nurses. She's one of the best nurses I've ever worked with too.

hot?

Hmmmmm, haven't come across her yet. The best of luck to you. Keep your cool and sure you'll be grrrrrrand.
    Hope to see you stumbling around the anatomy lab next year. :pac:

Juilette is head of Physio in Trinity. :)

Got conditional offer from Uni of Ulster. Just need 70% in my exams and I'm in. YAY! :D

Good work, kiddo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Mostly a lurker on here but just had one of those days that make you hate work forever!! A combination of people who didn't understand how often they could get their prescriptions teamed with those who understand fully but still like to chance their arm just left me with far too many rude/aggressive people to deal with today grrr

Mostly a lurker on here but just had one of those days that make you hate work forever!! A combination of people who didn't understand how often they could get their prescriptions teamed with those who understand fully but still like to chance their arm just left me with far too many rude/aggressive people to deal with today grrr

Let it go over the head , OVER the head.... ;)

Quick anatomy question here.

In grays for students it describes three cusps of the ascending aorta, which are left,right and posterior. The right and left coronary arteries arising from the sinuses of the right and left cusp respectively.

But in the larger edition of grays it describes the anterior, left posterior, and right posterior cusps of the ascending aorta. The right and left coronary arteries arising from the sinuses of the anterior and left posterior cusps respectively.

Now I believe one of these arrangements is derived from the embryological arrangement of the cusps, and the other from the actual arrangement of the cusps in the developed heart. But which one is which????? :confused:

Want to get this niggly stuff out of the way before my viva.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

That sounds odd... are you sure you were looking at the aortic valve and not the pulmonary? :D

As for embryological positions, I know that there is slight rotation (because of the helix shape) when the tubercules are being excavated to form the sinuses which caused them to move downward but I'm not sure if it is very drastic.

• Advertisement

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    That sounds odd... are you sure you were looking at the aortic valve and not the pulmonary? :D

As for embryological positions, I know that there is slight rotation (because of the helix shape) when the tubercules are being excavated to form the sinuses which caused them to move downward but I'm not sure if it is very drastic.

The pulmonary valve???? :eek:
    (Runs back to the kitchen and opens gray's)
    Nope, the coronary arteries defenitely arise from the sinuses of the aortic valve.
    Yep, there is defenitely rotation during embryological development hence the two naming systems in use but I cant figure out which one describes the embyological arrangement, and which one the developed arrangement.

I would e-mail my anatomy professor but he forwards all emails to the whole class and I look nerdy enough allready! :p

Edit: After some clever google searching I thinks I got the answer.

Advertisement