Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

briantwin wrote: »
    my dad walked into my neighbours house one time and there were sheets of toilet paper all over the sitting room. The wife had bought 3 different kinds and was seeing which brand was the best value (ie which had more sheets per roll). I'm going to assume she would disregard such things as quality and texture.

In fairness, she might have just said that as an excuse to cover the fact that she had the trots - the nasty frothy bubbly kind that takes ages to soak up. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

briantwin wrote: »
    my dad walked into my neighbours house one time and there were sheets of toilet paper all over the sitting room. The wife had bought 3 different kinds and was seeing which brand was the best value (ie which had more sheets per roll). I'm going to assume she would disregard such things as quality and texture.
    tesco actually do a "cents per sheet" on their jaxroll prices. Wondered who gave a shít about it.. now i know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

emo!! wrote: »
    well if the guy is that stupid enough to fall for it then it their own fault

i dont :D because ive rarely enough money for myself:rolleyes:
    but Horny drunk young people thinking they have a chance would do anything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

joe stodge wrote: »
    my uncle refused to buy any presents at all for his 2 children aged 3 and 1 for christmas. His excuse "they are too young to understand".

same uncle mothers day 2008. he didn't buy his new wife and mother of his just born child anything not even a card. his reasoning "its a day for the children to treat the mother when they get older not me".

just found out today. the same uncle again, his wife is from china and her parents still live there. he is planning on sending his youngest child to china because its too expensive to raise 2 children here (the man owns 2 houses and is a manager of a well know dublin pub). the grandmother and grandfather have no english and live in for lack of a better word poverty. i'm sickened to be related to this man and am wondering if a phone call to a social worker could help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know a pair of girls(very attractive) who used to go for a night out with just enough to pay for a taxi and get into a club. They would flirt with any man or men who approached them and ask them to buy them both a drink (double vodkas and mixer), they would milk as much free drink as they could, then ditch him and find another mug for the same purpose.

Same with cigarettes, they never bought any just got them off men instead.
    The real irony was that they were actually a couple so the blokes buying all the drink hoping to get lucky never had a chance ;).

http://www.lostaddress.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/lesbians.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

just found out today. the same uncle again, his wife is from china and her parents still live there. he is planning on sending his youngest child to china because its too expensive to raise 2 children here (the man owns 2 houses and is a manager of a well know dublin pub). the grandmother and grandfather have no english and live in for lack of a better word poverty. i'm sickened to be related to this man and am wondering if a phone call to a social worker could help.

Does the mother have no say in that decision?

He sounds like an absolute tyrant....

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

the stingiest person ever is my boss, his business is booming
    1. Will never buy cigs always bums off us
    2. has a co worker collect his home rubbish
    3. will only get his hair cut at barbers with special 5 euro rates
    4. Buys the 2.99 specials for lunch across the way
    5. when the daily cheques arrive he always says " is that it "
    6. lets us pay for our own parties/day out..
    Just stingy in every way :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Does the mother have no say in that decision?

He sounds like an absolute tyrant....

words can't express what the man is like. to build his second house he bought the side garden off my grandmother for 100,000. he never handed over the cash but instead opened an account in his name "said" he transfered the money into it and when she wanted money to come see him, now 4 years later all the money is gone and she has never seen a bank statement.

the mother of the children is dominated. she has no say in **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

LambsEye wrote: »
    ALSO, I really hate it because I feel like if a dude buys me a drink I have to talk to him. And I really don't like talking to people.
    If someone buys you a drink, all you have to offer is polite (or not so polite ;)) conversation.

If you don't want to have a conversation, don't accept the drink.
    words can't express what the man is like. to build his second house he bought the side garden off my grandmother for 100,000. he never handed over the cash but instead opened an account in his name "said" he transfered the money into it and when she wanted money to come see him, now 4 years later all the money is gone and she has never seen a bank statement.
    Get a solicitor for you grandmother. She is being exploited.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Years ago my sister went out with a really tight cnut. If they went for a Sunday drive he would leave an envelope on the dashboard for her to put in her "share" of the petrol money ! She soon dropped the tightass :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

The girls buying/not buying their round back thing is actually my barometer:

If they ask for a drink, I tell them I'll have a pint and thank you very much. If they respond that I should pay I say "What, so you want to vote but you don't want to pay?" (disclaimer: not my view, just a handy line to annoy nasty women). Sometimes they laugh and we get on well anyway. But this is rare. And I'm still not buying the drinks.

If I've been talking to her for a while and want a drink myself, I'll offer to get her one. If she takes it without even suggesting she get me one back, then I'll probably still go for it, but I'd never call a girl like that back, cos she's only gonna be a spa.

But every now and then... you find yourself a little gem of a woman that, without saying a word, just turns up with her round and gives it to you. That's what I'm after. Fairness without the parade. If a girl does this I'll probably end up buying her several more drinks purely out of thanks that she wasn't a ho about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

coylemj wrote: »
    When Gay Byrne had the radio show in the mornings there was a series of phone calls and letters (no e-mails in those days) about mean husbands, almost all of Uncle Gay's correspondents were married women.

Anyway one of the worst that I remember was the husband who drove a big executive four door saloon car but when the family went on holidays he insisted that they all pile into the wife's Nissan Micra because it used less petrol!

:confused::confused::confused: A show about mean husbands gets answered mostly by pissed-off married women??????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Trog wrote: »
    If they ask for a drink, I tell them I'll have a pint and thank you very much. If they respond that I should pay I say "What, so you want to vote but you don't want to pay?" (disclaimer: not my view, just a handy line to annoy nasty women). .

What exactly in this is "not your view"? Asking questions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

newmug wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused: A show about mean husbands gets answered mostly by pissed-off married women??????
    I was going to say Mother In Law, but I guess they are probably married too.

Then again perhaps the mother of the husband wasn't married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

four18 wrote: »
    Years ago my sister went out with a really tight cnut.

Jesus she should be careful there. If she met a well endowed man she could be in trouble!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I know a pair of girls(very attractive) who used to go for a night out with just enough to pay for a taxi and get into a club. They would flirt with any man or men who approached them and ask them to buy them both a drink (double vodkas and mixer), they would milk as much free drink as they could, then ditch him and find another mug for the same purpose.

Same with cigarettes, they never bought any just got them off men instead.
    The real irony was that they were actually a couple so the blokes buying all the drink hoping to get lucky never had a chance ;).
    garv123 wrote: »
    most girls who are in school/college do this.
    i know girls who have often gone out. gotten twisted, got food, into the club, and a taxi home without spending a money, simply by flirting their tits off

Thats just scumbaggery. Pure scumbaggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Trog wrote: »
    If she takes it without even suggesting she get me one back, then I'll probably still go for it, but I'd never call a girl like that back, cos she's only gonna be a spa.
    Bit of an iffy perspective, I'd generally just assume I'm getting the next round, I'd never think it would have to be stated in any way.

Paying so much attention seems stingy to me. As does an outright refusal of a drink purchase, at least make a joke out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I have often spent the night paying for friends drinks just because they have no money and I enjoy their company. My friends have done it for me when I'm skint too. Keeping tabs on that kind of thing is just pure stingy. If its gonna bother you that someone doesn't get you back then don't offer the drink in the first place.

If a guy wants to go talk to a woman in a bar/nightclub a nice way for most guys to break the ice is to offer a drink. If the woman accepts, it shouldn't enter her into some verbal contract that she has to get you back. She might realise after talking to you that she dosen't like you, and is well within her rights without being called stingy to walk off with her free drink in hand. I agree that women who abuse this are pure scumbags, but the amount of guys who think that when a woman accepts a drink she either has to get you back or sleep with you is really silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Bit of an iffy perspective, I'd generally just assume I'm getting the next round, I'd never think it would have to be stated in any way.

Paying so much attention seems stingy to me. As does an outright refusal of a drink purchase, at least make a joke out of it.

Have to agree with this. If I were getting on with a guy and he offered me a drink and I accepted I would certainly be the one asking the bartender for a refill but I wouldn't declare it as though it were a business transaction.

"Yes I will have one drink and let you pay but I will be paying for the next drink. If we are still getting along after the first two drinks than you may purchase the next round and following that it will be my turn again.

You may only choose a drink of equal to or less than the value of my drink and I shall endeavor to do the same. If my drink has ice in it then I shall consider this to be only 85% of a drink so I expect you to factor this in..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

... If my drink has ice in it then I shall consider this to be only 85% of a drink so I expect you to factor this in..."

Jesus careful that you don't forget the slice of lemon. The 15% dilution of volume can easily be offset with a slice of lemon. Some even consider this more as technically you're getting food and drink there. Its a bloody tight rope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

iregk wrote: »
    Jesus careful that you don't forget the slice of lemon. The 15% dilution of volume can easily be offset with a slice of lemon. Some even consider this more as technically you're getting food and drink there. Its a bloody tight rope!

if she gets lemon in the drink i get her, she should clearly pay for the chips:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If someone is all flirty with you and asks "Will you buy me a drink?"

Be a gentlemanly doormat and oblige.

Then hand them a pint of tap water and watch their reaction. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭HooterSnout

I work in a call center for an online shopping site. Loads of stories about stingy folk but one in particular sticks out.

One auld lad needed to return a remote control car because it didn't come with batteries even though it said on the site that they weren't included. As part of the return policy or whatever he was entitled to return it for a full refund. So I got the prepaid label sorted out so he didn't have to pay for the return postage. These labels you have to print out and he said he wasn't willing to pay to have it printed. Fine, whatever. So I told him the other option was to provide his own postage and we would refund the costs. Next problem, he didn't have the original box and wanted to be reimbursed for getting another cardboard box. I still remember him to this day. He wasn't a scam artist or anything like that, just an absolute tight arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I know a seriously pathetic guy who's girlfriend is the most stingiest person I've ever come accross. She got her ex boyfriend's mother to pay for her education by telling her what a tyrant her father is (totally not true by the way), she then stole that women's silver teaspoons (no really). She got Mr No-balls (boyfriend) to pay for her rent, food, bills, booze and weed, then when she had a windfall of E1000 what did she spend it on? Going on holiday without him, god forbid she'd repay Mr no balls anything. She waxed lyrical one day about how she would hate to ever owe anyone money and then goes onto a different conversation and tells us how her aunt has an apartment in Spain that she and her friends borrowed for a week, she got a donation for the aunt from the friends and didn't pay it to the aunt even though she's asked for it repeatedly. So yeah some girls are a ****ing disgrace but in fairness why in the name of god would you put up with that? I've way less respect for a guy that puts up with a knacker like that than I do for the scabby person. Like you'd have to be pretty desperate to allow someone to use you as an atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

curlzy wrote: »
    I know a seriously pathetic guy who's girlfriend is the most stingiest person I've ever come accross. She got her ex boyfriend's mother to pay for her education by telling her what a tyrant her father is (totally not true by the way), she then stole that women's silver teaspoons (no really). She got Mr No-balls (boyfriend) to pay for her rent, food, bills, booze and weed, then when she had a windfall of E1000 what did she spend it on? Going on holiday without him, god forbid she'd repay Mr no balls anything. She waxed lyrical one day about how she would hate to ever owe anyone money and then goes onto a different conversation and tells us how her aunt has an apartment in Spain that she and her friends borrowed for a week, she got a donation for the aunt from the friends and didn't pay it to the aunt even though she's asked for it repeatedly. So yeah some girls are a ****ing disgrace but in fairness why in the name of god would you put up with that? I've way less respect for a guy that puts up with a knacker like that than I do for the scabby person. Like you'd have to be pretty desperate to allow someone to use you as an atm.

swift kick up the backside is what she needs.

I remember someone in work telling me before about a customer who managed to get out of paying for a delivery by claiming the delivery docket was in breach of the terms and conditions of the sale, because the delivery driver forgot to sign it, even though the customer himself had signed it.

This is an easy mistake to make, as you could have 30 deliveries or more each day, and some of the deliveries may have more than one docket (due to an add on or something).

After that the company i work for refused to do business with him, and it ended up making things more difficult for him as he had to deal with other companies from out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Ledger wrote: »
    After that the company i work for refused to do business with him, and it ended up making things more difficult for him as he had to deal with other companies from out of town.

Serves him right, what a scumbag, he probably got the poor driver in trouble. Hope he went out of business.

curlzy wrote: »
    Serves him right, what a scumbag, he probably got the poor driver in trouble. Hope he went out of business.

not really, easily done, and the whole town knows what he's like.*

*being careful how i word it. got in trouble before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Once, in a fit of generosity, the food in the canteen was free all day. I got my usual Saturday morning fry, but one animal went to town on it. He absolutely piled the food onto his plate - it was like a mini pyramid. Must have been 20 sausages, loads of bacon, a few eggs, pudding, hash browns, etc. The greedy bastard ate it all too....

.....and felt sick for the rest of the day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

LighterGuy wrote: »

when the st stephens green shopping centre used to charge 20p for every person who used the toilet.

Top that.
    lol.

Paul St shopping centre in Cork used to be a fine example of this. They have since been renovated and I haven't used them so can't comment now, but 20c to go in and the smell would come out the door to meet you. I used to refuse to pay the 20c (sometimes you needed the toilet and it was near the car park, so needs must LOL). THey were disgusting toilets so I often wondered where that money went. Have no problem paying if the money actually goes to maintaining the up keep of facilitites

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement