Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistdirect.co.uk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

5% voucher off chemist direct
    valid until 31st jan

cdvoucherjan5
    put it in at checkout,,as far as i know there no limit on how much you have to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Sorry to put a dampener on things but it is illegal to import prescription only medicines into Ireland via the internet. Medicinal products need to be authorised here in Ireland so if a package gets seized don't be surprised.

Of course ordering from the US and not paying duty etc is also illegal....

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Sarn wrote: »
    Sorry to put a dampener on things but it is illegal to import prescription only medicines into Ireland via the internet. Medicinal products need to be authorised here in Ireland so if a package gets seized don't be surprised.

If you checked the site out you will see that you can not buy prescription only medicines unless you have a UK doctors prescription & then you have to send it to them by post.....

Goods are shipped from Birmingham, UK therefore the goods are in free circulation within the EU.... no interest to customs at all...

Nothing Illegal with this site at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sarn wrote: »
    This is the exact same as ordering a DVD box set from play, if you order from outside the EU and if it is over a certain value you are liable to pay duty & VAT, it is up to the customs/post to decide if it is worth their while to collect it from you.

If you order and it is delivered and they did not bother to collect duty/vat from you, nothing illegal has happened, otherwise half the country should be in jail right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Some good bargains if you're ordering over £40 worth and can get free delivery:

16 Paracetamol (same active ingredient as Panadol & Hedex) tablets for 16p
    http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/paracetamol-500mg-tablets_1_10456.html

48 Ibuprofen (same active ingredient as Nurofen) tablets for 79p
    http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/ibuprofen-tablets_1_10470.html

32 Dispersible/Non-dispersible Aspirin Tablets (same active ingredient as Dispirin) 25p/29p
    http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/aspirin-dispersible-tablets-300mg_1_10493.html
    http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/aspirin-tablets-300mg_1_10479.html

100g of Sodium Bicarbonate for Indigestion 59p
    http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/bells-sodium-bicarbonate-bp_1_31408.html

12 Rennie Tablets £1.05
    http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/rennies-red-original_1_3091.html

There's similar prices for these in Tesco UK under their own label brand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

If you checked the site out you will see that you can not buy prescription only medicines unless you have a UK doctors prescription & then you have to send it to them by post.....

Goods are shipped from Birmingham, UK therefore the goods are in free circulation within the EU.... no interest to customs at all...

Nothing Illegal with this site at all...

Not entirely true (not even partially true).

One has to consider the fact that there are some medicines that are prescription only medicines in this country while in the UK are available over the counter. Two examples I found after a quick browse were Avloclor 250mg chloroquine phosphate tablets and Aspirin 75mg tablets.

In the case of the former (a prophylactic malarial treatment), there are some parts of the world where there are huge resistance problems with this drug and so it may provide no protection. Also the use of anti-malarials inappropriately has the potential to lead to even more resistant strains. As for the low dose aspirin, this is indicated for the treatment of various cardiovascular diseases and hence is prescription only.

There is also the fact that a lot of these medicines will not have a product authorisation (PA) from the IMB and so are not licensed for Ireland. So I'd suggest you revise your opinion. There may be nothing illegal about this site if buying from the UK but when buying from Ireland, there is different legislation in place which has to be considered.

The entire drugs and medication market, both prescription and OTC (non-prescription also known as Over The Counter), is a massive rip-off in Ireland. There's effectively a cartel operating keeping the prices of these products artificially high. This has been going on for years, and everybody knows it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

As the case is with most products, shop around and you can get a bargain. Take paracetamol for example. I'm sure a lot of people buy a Panadol 12 pack in Tesco and pay €3.60 (when I last checked). However go into a pharmacy and you'd pay the same price for a 24 pack of Panadol. Then again you could go for a different brand and make more of a saving - Paralief 24 tablets for €2.19 or Boots 24 Paracetamol capsules for €1.85.

It's great if Boots have 24 Paracetamol tablets for €1.85, although I've never seen them. I have seen cheaper private label brands such as Paralief in pharmacies. I'd agree, you can shop around but the savings are limited and not widely available. For example, take the supermarkets, were the majority of people would probably buy their headache tablets. Paracetamol tablets are priced at a minimum of about €1.65 for 12 tablets, usually Hedex or Anadin. The cheaper alternatives, such as Paralief, may be available in selected chemists and Boots, but they're not widely available elsewhere.

Years ago Tesco Ireland used to sell 12 Paracetamol tablets for 50c, (manufactured by Galpharm) then suddenly they stopped selling them, and so did every other supermarket. Soon after I noticed a big increase in the shelf space given to the brand name painkillers such as Panadol, Hedex and Anadin. Plus the minimum price in every supermarket for Paracetamol was €1.65 for 12 tablets. I'll let you join the dots for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Slightly OT but just back from the UK and 16 paracetamol are 16p in Superdrug. Lots of stuff on sale there at the mo; 6 bath "fizzers" were 10p, a usb xmas tree type thing £1 - ludicrously cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Just wanted to say I've used this site a few times over the past few yrs and never had any problems. I've bought electric toothbrushes at less than half the price quoted in shops here (boots, argos etc) as well as toiletries. I'll probably order from them again in the next week or two as they have a baby highchair I like for £79 and it's €139 here. Shipping is £7.49 which is a lot if all your buying is a few packs of tablets but it's pretty good value if you're buying a highchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Oracle wrote: »
    It's great if Boots have 24 Paracetamol tablets for €1.85, although I've never seen them.[/QUOTE

You need to ask for them at the counter in the medicines section they have them behind on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oracle wrote: »
    Plus the minimum price in every supermarket for Paracetamol was €1.65 for 12 tablets. I'll let you join the dots for yourself.
    ;) always seemed very fishy to me. There is a chemist next to my tescos and the 24 is cheaper per pill than tesco. Benylin was almost twice the price, strepsils were a good bit more too. I have no doubt in my mind that if tesco were allowed to sell those same 24 packs that they would be cheaper there too. There is obviously some sort of price fixing going on.

I must see how much the chemist charges for a 12 pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The government and the drug companies sit down to set the price of prescription drugs in Ireland. Nothing at all to do with the chemist shops. As for over the counter products, they are marked up by about 33%. There are many other businesses marking up by a hell of a lot more. There is no supplier in Ireland providing paracetamol at anywhere near a price that would allow a price of 1p per tablet without it being a loss leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I think there may be a problem ordering if you are on a linux OS. After reading all the posts here I decided to make another order(as the prices are excellent to be fair). As my son uses my laptop to play WOW, I used his netbook(with linux OS) to make the order(as I did the first time). Again, I have no received a confirmation email and this time their system reckons I never registered! Thankfully, as of yet, no money seems to have been debited from my card (if it is I will go through same steps to get it refunded).

Maybe I am wrong, with my theory, but after reading that many of you received your orders and had no problems it is the only reason that I have come up with that I have had so many problems.

I have, of course, contacted Chemistdirect, re the problem ordering(and to make sure they don't charge me again) and mentioned why I think I have difficulties.

Can some-one who has made an order from CD, on a linux OS, confirm or deny that this may cause problems.

Thanking you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Quick update, order arrived today and all items present and correct.

Prices are great, especially on blades. Thanks OP and I'll be using again.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Phew my order came too!

Sunday 11th Jan - placed my order
    Friday 16th Jan - order dispatched
    Monday 19th Jan - order arrived :)

Thanks OP and I'll be using again also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

So are these guys are ok ? do they take laser cards with the maestro logo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Am going to order a bunch of stuff today. What is the average delivery time guys as I'm due a baby in 2 weeks and need it to be here by then. 2 weeks is loads right? Thanks OP, you will be saving me a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My order was placed on Jan 7th and arrived yesterday (20/01).

• Advertisement

Still within 2 weeks so good enough for me. Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Who does the delivery for them here is it anpost?

Who does the delivery for them here is it anpost?

An Post Express Post service - at least that's who delivered to me that last few times

So are these guys are ok ? do they take laser cards with the maestro logo?

Don't know - I've always used the CC or Paypal with Chermist Direct Might be worth checking with them as I've tried to use my laser before for other on-line purchases (the Book People was one ) and the transaction went through ok but it then got rejected and their customer service contacted me to arrange an alternate payment method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

This is not the case unless the law has changed recently again (eg in the past 18 months). I wrote a piece for the health supplement in the Irish Times on this topic and contrary to what many believe, there are no restrictions on anyone ordering medications abroad including from the US.
    In Ireland, the situation is less clear cut. Prescriptions cannot be filled online by any pharmacy based in Ireland -- neither to Irish customers nor to those abroad -- and the Irish Medicines Board works with Revenue to try to ensure that this is strictly observed. But Irish consumers can buy prescription drugs and have them sent into the State, excepting some controlled drugs such as methadone or Oxycontin (both, however, easily available from internet sites abroad).

As others noted, the recipient could be charged VAT when the packet arrives. In practice, this rarely happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Sounds to me like they are legit afterall, going to have a snoop around the site now and see what bargains they have, thanks for all the interesting posts.

Oh and by the way, congratulations "Grawns"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Well my order arrived on Friday. Ordered on the 10th. Tracking number supplied first put my items in the Usa and then New Zealand. I contacted chemistdirect about this and they informed me that a mistake had been made on the day of my purchase and all orders had been given the same tracking number.

My original order had three items cancelled as they were out of stock. However one of the items is still being advertised as in stock. It is a hair trimmer.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/remington-brylcreem-hair-styling-titanium-washable-personal-groomer_1_1375.html

Just wondering if anyone else has ordered this and actually received it. They just cancelled the items they claimed were not in stock and shipped the rest to me.

I wonder if I had just ordered say two packs of pain killers and the above and they cancelled the hair trimmer would they have still charged me the full shipping?

Anyway I wont be in a hurry to order again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

pissed wrote: »
    http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/remington-brylcreem-hair-styling-titanium-washable-personal-groomer_1_1375.html

Just wondering if anyone else has ordered this and actually received it. They just cancelled the items they claimed were not in stock and shipped the rest to me.

I wonder if I had just ordered say two packs of pain killers and the above and they cancelled the hair trimmer would they have still charged me the full shipping?

Anyway I wont be in a hurry to order again.

Yup the shipping is a flat rate regardless of how much stock you buy.

It's annoying when you only find something is out of stock when it just doesn't turn up. It seems to happen everywhere though.

I ordered £222 worth (44 items) so even if only half arrive I will be happy. Would be pee-d off if I paid £7.49 shipping for 2 packs of 16p paracetomal though :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I sorted out the issues I was having, and my order was dispatched on the 20th. (minus 2 out of stock small items). When should I expect to have it? Is it just the normal postman who delivers or is it there a seperate an post express van/delivery?

I only ordered 49 euro worth of stuff(inc p&p), but to buy the same branded stuff would have been well over 200 here. So all going well I will be ordering again.

Anyone buy Dog Food/other dog items from here? I am thinking of ordering, but just want to make sure that best before dates etc are ok on them. Any suggestions on what else is a good buy in the Pet section?

Advertisement