Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistdirect.co.uk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Glos

magicEye wrote: »
    I never received my order from them though I do have a confirmation email and an order number.....

I honestly thought the website was genuine, never imagined it would be a scam ( I would have never posted it this here otherwise)...sorry about that...

I never thought to google it before I posted the order and it was 77 sterling in my case...

I'm gonna ring the bank now and see what the story is...

Cheers,
    Magic

I don't think it is a scam website. I think you are being OTT.

But yes, logistically and professionally they do appear inept.

Ironically, it appears that their downfall is due to the positive reviews in the media (TV/Newspapers) causing a glut of orders which they are not able to deal with efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Ahhh just placed an order this morning.... £40 including delivery.... should have read the full thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I never received my order from them though I do have a confirmation email and an order number.....

I honestly thought the website was genuine, never imagined it would be a scam ( I would have never posted it this here otherwise)...sorry about that...

I never thought to google it before I posted the order and it was 77 sterling in my case...

I'm gonna ring the bank now and see what the story is...

Cheers,
    Magic

I don't think the company is a scam, just many people with lots of problems with them! There also seems to be people who are happy with them.(unfortunatley I was one of the unlucky ones). I'd advise people not to order with them though.

Magic-Is your order in their system? ie-when you log onto their site, does your order appear in your details? If not get onto your bank asap to let them know and get the transaction details from them, I had to send lots of snotty emails to them to get a result. I hate companies who take your money before processing an order anyway, but this takes the biscuit as my order was never in their system to begin with. I hope you have no problems but if you do, do not let up on them until you get your dosh back

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

magiceye,

Would you consider editting the first post on this thread to warn people that it mightn't be such a good "bargain"................. it would avoid someone reading the first few posts and heading off to the site in question.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Got this today (and no i didnt receive the update by mail like they said), will update on Tuesday if its sorted

Dear Customer,

We have had a few technical issues which we are addressing. There is a delay on your order until the 13 Jan. You should have received this update today via e-mail.

If however you cannot wait then we can cancel the order and refund the full order value.

Kind Regards

Gordon

Chemist Direct

Customer Services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

Would love to edit the first post but I cannot find the Edit button....need help, please :o

Lindtee, yes, my order is in the system, it comes up on my Order History...Update...just logged in now and my order comes up as Order Part-Despatched (total is down to 70 sterling, obviously they couldn't provide all items)... That is after sending them an email and contacting them via the chat option (where I didn't get any answer though).

Cheers,
    Magic

Edit: Edit Button shows up on my last post but not on my first one, so if any of the Mods wants to update my first post, you're more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

This website sounds like a great idea and certainly generic medicines like Tesco's own brand ibuprofen and paracetamol are incredibly cheap over the counter in the UK.
    Now I don't know anything about this particular website (and it looks pretty reputable) but I must say that in general I would be somewhat cautious about buying any pharmacological item online given that there are a lot of conterfeit drugs available.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/warning-buying-drugs-online-can-seriously-damage-your-health-1287648.html

Obviously a lot of these warnings could be media-hype and hysteria put out by established pharmacy groups to protect their own interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Updated original post..

basquille wrote: »
    Updated original post..

Thank you very much, Basquille, and sorry once again for all the hassle with this thread :(

Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Would love to edit the first post but I cannot find the Edit button....need help, please :o

Lindtee, yes, my order is in the system, it comes up on my Order History...Update...just logged in now and my order comes up as Order Part-Despatched (total is down to 70 sterling, obviously they couldn't provide all items)... That is after sending them an email and contacting them via the chat option (where I didn't get any answer though).

Cheers,
    Magic

Edit: Edit Button shows up on my last post but not on my first one, so if any of the Mods wants to update my first post, you're more than welcome.

Keep us posted about your order as I've successfully ordered from them in the past and wanted to do so again but given that they seem to have gone somewhat pear shaped worries me...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I will probably still order from them, I figure they are just out of stock and inundated as mentioned before.

Are there other similar sites? not just UK, but preferably EU?

Also check your junk mail if you do order, I expect the word pharmacy & chemist get kicked straight to most peoples junk/spam box.

rubadub wrote: »
    I will probably still order from them, I figure they are just out of stock and inundated as mentioned before.

Are there other similar sites? not just UK, but preferably EU?

Also check your junk mail if you do order, I expect the word pharmacy & chemist get kicked straight to most peoples junk/spam box.[/QUOT

Came across these this morning - appear not be be as cheap as our friends - they do have an option to see prices in Euro - exchange rate seems ok delivery to Ireland is £6.47 per order standard delivery. No nothing about them however but no doubt one could find reviews for them.

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I used them in November for the first time as I needed to get a specific multivitamin. It cost a tenner for 30 in Boots. So with 3 for 2, worked out €20 for 90.

Searched and found chemistdirect and they had it for 7 sterling for a 90 pack. Very nice saving. So ordered a load of other stuff too for the family (vicks, lemsip...) and in total saved packet. All was despatched quickly and it arrived well packaged and within a few days. Great!!

One problem though. One item had an expiry date of Nov 08. It wasn't a bargain bin item where they give you the expiry date so I was codded here or they made a mistake. I mailed them last Monday and am yet to hear back. I rang the CS and tried every option and ended up being put through to an answering machine. From the previous posts I can see that they are a small place overwhelmed at the moment.

Overall, little to complain about them. Saved loads with one small problem. Well worth it. I would use them again.

Postman just delivered my order...everything is in the pack, except some toothpaste that obviously was out of stock but I got an e-mail about that and I'm expecting a refund.

Everything was nicely packed, sun lotions wrapped in jiffy separately, same as the Elizabeth Arden EDT and the Nurofen.

Got loads of nurofen for adults and kids (worked out at a fraction of what I would pay here) so we're sorted for the whole year (wish I wouldn't have to use them at all).

I am happy with the overall experience, though it took a couple of e-mails to sort it out.

I would definitely use them again, maybe I was one of the lucky ones in dealing with them...

Hope everybody else gets their order, fingers crossed!

Cheers,
    Magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

havent read this thread in full, but I think it's a bad idea, because this site probably makes it possible for people to buy multiple packets of products containing paracetamol, something that has been made illegal over here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

havent read this thread in full, but I think it's a bad idea, because this site probably makes it possible for people to buy multiple packets of products containing paracetamol, something that has been made illegal over here

That rule is there to stop suicidal people from going into a chemist and buying 100 paracetamol and overdosing. But you could still go into 3 or 4 seperate chemists (or supermarkets) and buy enough tablets to do yourself harm and it would still be a lot quicker than ordering online and waiting a week for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I've had a few things from this site and found them to be very good and usually quite prompt. Initially got into this site because I wanted to get herbal sleeping tablets which are not available here. Got them for 1.49 a pack plus a few other bits and pieces to make the postage worthwhile. I would certainly recommend them. Plus now the exchange rate is so good, makes them even more of a bargain :D

There is a limit on products containing paracetamol and ibuprofen (when you place the order, it comes up and it tells you that you went over the limit).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

loyatemu wrote: »
    That rule is there to stop suicidal people from going into a chemist and buying 100 paracetamol and overdosing. But you could still go into 3 or 4 seperate chemists (or supermarkets) and buy enough tablets to do yourself harm and it would still be a lot quicker than ordering online and waiting a week for delivery.

Absolutely correct!
    In my cynical opinion that rule is actually there to help Irish pharmacies keep their prices sky-high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Absolutely correct!
    In my cynical opinion that rule is actually there to help Irish pharmacies keep their prices sky-high.

I'd be inclined to agree. On the continent you can get 24 paracetamol for maybe 50/60 cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Got my response from their CS about the almost expired product. They are resending a fresh one today. Nice one.

Took over a week for a response but A1 result! So defo no hesitation using them again.

Yes, since the lower limit is on supermarkets, I can get bigger packs in the pharmacy. Now the person serving me in both cases is often a 16 year old girl, it is not like you are going to the doctor getting a prescription where they are checking symptoms or something.

I was in tesco and a german family were in front and they were refused the paracetomols, they said there was a limit, the guy couldn't get his head around it. So he gave the wife money, and the very young child money and all 3 bought a pack! He was apologising to me for taking up more time with 3 transactions, I said no problem and was just smirking at the stupid situation. Probably topped himself later on of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Absolutely correct!

How does the law help pharmacies keep prices elevated? by limiting the amount of units they can sell?

These laws arent just to deal with intentional od's, they protect consumers from themselves, the type of person who comes into a pharmacy looking for lemsip, uniflu and solpadeine as soon as they get a cold would do the same in a supermarket but wouldnt be made aware of the danger theyre putting themselves in.

The laws here and in the uk have been shown to work:

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=2276

(cant find a link to irish stats but have seen something similiar before)

ceegee wrote: »
    How does the law help pharmacies keep prices elevated? by limiting the amount of units they can sell?
    It stops supermarkets being able to sell the same amount at a lower price. I got the same benylin in tesco for almost half the price of the chemist next door. If the OTC stuff was available in tesco I expect it would be far cheaper too. It is almost like a cartel they have going.

ceegee wrote: »
    the type of person who comes into a pharmacy looking for lemsip, uniflu and solpadeine as soon as they get a cold would do the same in a supermarket but wouldnt be made aware of the danger theyre putting themselves in.
    And as I said before, often I am served by a similar 16 year old girl working part time at weekends who just passes the products through like on a tesco till, with no warnings.

If they are serious then the law should state that their should be specific warnings.

Codeine addiction is a serious problem here, only once when I bought 2 codeine products together was I warned, and I think that was a qualified pharmacist, they looked the part, I have often bought the same 2 together with no warning. Look in the window of some and you would think it was a hairdressers, all hairproducts and overmade up young wans.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Got a mail saying that my order had been dispatched. There was a link to track the delivery I clicked it and it was Royal Mail tracker saying my package had been delivered... In the United States of America wtf

Arathorn wrote: »
    Got a mail saying that my order had been dispatched. There was a link to track the delivery I clicked it and it was Royal Mail tracker saying my package had been delivered... In the United States of America wtf

Don't worry, that's exactly what I got too....I even wrote to them to enquire about the USA....but it all arrived today, not a bother... and the reference number on the parcel was the right one...so royalmail must be the one to blame...

PS. I got the email with the tracking number on Tuesday and I received the parcel today.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Cheers OP, Ordered on 8th Jan, Parcel delivered yesterday 14th, not bad shipping at all, no problems with using this site again, saved approx EUR 50.00 on items by using this site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pumbah

ordered 4th Jan
    dispatched 12th Jan
    delivered today (15th)

thanks OP saved a packet - no need to buy calpol for the foreseeable future!!

pumbah wrote: »
    ordered 4th Jan
    dispatched 12th Jan
    delivered today (15th)

thanks OP saved a packet - no need to buy calpol for the foreseeable future!!

In my humble opinion Chemistdirect and I'm sure there are others in other sectors is one of the websites that Irish retailers dont want us to know about. The scare tactic comments by some of the postes to this thread about paracetemol poisoning etc etc is a load of whatnot - you are limited in the amount of such products that you can by on the online chemists sites.

Several people that I know who are still registered with GP's in N Ireland and the UK are seriously thinking of getting scripts from them for medication that costs a packet here and having these scripts filled by Chemistdirect.

Cant we see that we are finally copping on to the fact that we've been totally ripped off for the past number of years, by chemists. shops, garages, builders and anyone else who reckoned they could make a fast buck.

I got a fella out to quote for repairs to my roof before Xmas who quoted me €1400 without even properly looking at the job I got a highly reputable and recommended roofing contractor to do the same job for €150.

No doubt some expert with vested interests will now post to say that the €150 job is inferior to the €1400 one and my house insurance will be invalidated or some similar guff :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Got an email from them last night saying my parcel was on its way. As about the tracking number linked to the USA.. 3 items went out of stock by the time they got to my order so they said they would refund my card within 3 to 4 days. Items were ordered on the 10th.

Advertisement