Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the TV license inspector ever paid you a visit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Oh yes, The TV licence inspector , it goes something like this.

*Guards
    *Failed guards
    *Security guards
    *Debt collectors
    *Gang members
    *Dirt bags
    *TV Licence inspector

All have chips on there shoulders, last call I had was a few years back, he asked me name, when I gave it he turned around and started fumbling in his pocket then in TJ Hooker style fasion spins around waving his badge in my face and says.

"TV LICENCE INSPECTOR!!!"

Oh no I thought, not the TV licence inspector, in utter shock I pleaded for mine and my familys lifes...but he was so cruel...so cruel...eventually I persuaded him not to turn us in and I would pay whatever he wanted. I then fled the country fearing my safety.

Should clampers and bouncers be in that list somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Pacifico wrote: »
    Can a summons be sent to the address?!

Just wondering as i'm in the same boat!

There's never been a follow up to the warnings issued to the occupier, save for more warnings in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

c_man wrote: »
    If your name isn't on it, then let it slide. I've been doing this for years. If they catch me fair enough, but if the warning is to the "occupier" then it's immediately binned.

This was to the occupier alright, just seemed more threatening that the previous couple Id recieved & coupled with them getting to the apt door it put the willies up me, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

skywalker wrote: »
    This was to the occupier alright, just seemed more threatening that the previous couple Id recieved & coupled with them getting to the apt door it put the willies up me, cheers.

file it away in the green bin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

skywalker wrote: »

You need a name on a summons to summon someone :)

To get your name, they retrieve it via recorded\registered mail via An Post, off the Electoral Register and asking you face to face at the door :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

gurramok wrote: »
    You need a name on a summons to summon someone :)

To get your name, they retrieve it via recorded\registered mail via An Post, off the Electoral Register and asking you face to face at the door :)

I agree with gurramok here, since they were able to get into your building, they probably had a snoop through your mailbox if it was unlocked to get your name too.

If they darken your door again go through them for a shortcut, if anyone deserves to be on the dole its those ****ers!

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭The Reamer

mumhaabu wrote: »
    ...............an Uncle was caught sometime in the 1970's using a Black and White Licence (cheaper at the time) on a Colour Tv.

Oh Jaysus, the cute oul hooor, ha? That's right chicanery.

In my case, I don't ever remember us having a TV liscence at home. Plenty letters about it though.
    THe way it is now the demand letters come in my fathers name but since he is deceased, technically they could not prosecute my mother so we'll leave it well enough alone. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The Reamer wrote: »
    THe way it is now the demand letters come in my fathers name but since he is deceased, technically they could not prosecute my mother so we'll leave it well enough alone. :cool:

Yes they can. As she's the owner and resident at the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Should clampers and bouncers be in that list somewhere?

didnt you see bouncer second on the list there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Should get one of these

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/deter-burglars-tv-simulator-lidl-instore-from-24th-jan-7-99-1447860

Repeatedly tell him you have no TV and have a radio blaring and that on with the Curtain closed.

When he comes back with the Gardai just say:

"oh you mean my TV Simulator ... why didn't you say so"

• Advertisement

Should get one of these

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/deter-burglars-tv-simulator-lidl-instore-from-24th-jan-7-99-1447860

Repeatedly tell him you have no TV and have a radio blaring and that on with the Curtain closed.

When he comes back with the Gardai just say:

"oh you mean my TV Simulator ... why didn't you say so"

Make sure you have a radio licence first!

smash wrote: »
    Yes they can. As she's the owner and resident at the address.

They would have to start the whole process in the correct name first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I agree with gurramok here, since they were able to get into your building, they probably had a snoop through your mailbox if it was unlocked to get your name too.

If they darken your door again go through them for a shortcut, if anyone deserves to be on the dole its those ****ers!

No danger of the mailbox being unlocked in this case, nor of any mail being in the mailbox for that matter. Fingers crossed so.

They would have to start the whole process in the correct name first.
    No they wouldn't. She's the primary resident and clearly knows she has no license. They're cùnts and they know how to play the game!

I currently have a valid license and they've summonsed me saying there was a break in the license fee 3 years ago and they readjusted my license date. But my license does not show this. It's valid as far as I'm concerned and I never remember a break in license fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

When I was in college one knocked around. I shared the house with 4 other guys. The lad that opened the door said he just moved in and gave a fake name. The inspector said he had a month to pay it. After that we just kept the curtains closed and wouldn't open the door to anyone ever for the rest of the year, also letters would come threatening court but they were also ignored.

And that's the story how we beat those pesky tv licence inspectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Was watching some videos in YouTube about this last week.

http://youtu.be/fwL8uWUHhp0

In all the videos they keep referring to 'implied rights if access' and telling the TV inspectors it has been removed. Would this apply over here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

Oranage2 wrote: »
    When I was in college one knocked around. I shared the house with 4 other guys. The lad that opened the door said he just moved in and gave a fake name. The inspector said he had a month to pay it. After that we just kept the curtains closed and wouldn't open the door to anyone ever for the rest of the year, also letters would come threatening court but they were also ignored.

And that's the story how we beat those pesky tv licence inspectors.

Should have just got Vivian to eat the evidence like that one other time in that episode.

smash wrote: »
    No they wouldn't. She's the primary resident and clearly knows she has no license. They're cùnts and they know how to play the game!

I currently have a valid license and they've summonsed me saying there was a break in the license fee 3 years ago and they readjusted my license date. But my license does not show this. It's valid as far as I'm concerned and I never remember a break in license fees.

If the summons isn't in your name it doesn't apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

What stops you just refusing to give your name?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

My friend is a cnut.The other day the inspector knocks,he answers the door,pretends to be me,gives all my details and says i haven't paid it in years.One hour later he texts me "you're welcome".

Nice lad.

• Advertisement

stunmer wrote: »

Nothing but if you do give a believable name they will go away for a month.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    My friend is a cnut.The other day the inspector knocks,he answers the door,pretends to be me,gives all my details and says i haven't paid it in years.One hour later he texts me "you're welcome".

Nice lad.

Haha. Is the house in your name? If its a student house you could say you never lived there and never got the summons. A friend gave your name for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

stunmer wrote: »

Absolutely nothing. Only an idiot would give their real name to a TV licence inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Antho1966

These people cannot detain you unless in the presence of police, so all you have to say is that you are a visitor to building in question. You do not have to give them your name

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Haha. Is the house in your name? If its a student house you could say you never lived there and never got the summons. A friend gave your name for a laugh.

The lease is in my name alright,not student accommodation either.Just not paying it,sure fcuk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I have a tv but no Saorview built in if a tv license inspector was to call i'd bring him in and show him thats its a very large monitor for my laptop xbox dvd player wii etc. and tell him to jog on. ;)

If the summons isn't in your name it doesn't apply to you.
    I don't think you get it. If a summons arrives addressed to your father, after months of letters addressed to your father stating that you have no license. Then your mother can and will be done for not having a license including a fee to get it backdated because she has lived there since he died as she took over responsibility for it. Or will you just pretend that you never ever open anything addressed to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Antho1966

Big mistake to leave anyone into your residence.
    If your laptop is wireless enabled, you are liable for tv licence fee, also if tou have an appliance radio mobile etc that can receive radio stations, you are also liable
    regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Antho1966 wrote: »
    If your laptop is wireless enabled, you are liable for tv licence fee, also if tou have an appliance radio mobile etc that can receive radio stations, you are also liable
    regards

Not liable for a license yet, but its coming down the line.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Antho1966 wrote: »
    regards

This is all wildly inaccurate.

Advertisement