Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the TV license inspector ever paid you a visit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Doll Parts

So, what happens after you receive the pink legal notice one saying that you must pay immediately, this is the one after the final notice...
    Was trying to hold off paying it for another month :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Doll Parts wrote: »
    So, what happens after you receive the pink legal notice one saying that you must pay immediately, this is the one after the final notice...
    Was trying to hold off paying it for another month :/

Does your legal notice give your name?(instead of The Occupant)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Doll Parts

unfortunately, yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Doll Parts wrote: »
    unfortunately, yes

I think you're screwed then as they have your name on legal proceedings. Unfortunately the RTE tax has caught you :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Kalimah

We were literally unpacking our furniture in our new house when we got a call from an inspector. Luckily I knew where the licence was in among all the boxes and bags. The guy could see we'd only moved in. The estate was half finished too. That was 17 years ago. We've always had a licence by the way. I reckon they have a database of addresses and just call to those that don't have a licence.

PS. They're bloody quick to send you a legal notice even before the licence runs out! My licence was up end Sept. Got renewal notice two weeks before and on the day it ran out got a final red demand!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

My tv doesn't work ,I want a tv licence refund!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Yea i got a visit from him recently. It pained me to pay out that money for damn rte. And then they have the cheek to put on adverts every 15 minutes and their crap programmes. Grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

A "license" to watch TV. Have you ever heard of anything so draconian?
    If you're going to license something, license people to have kids ... now that's an issue ... not people watching TV!

Marian Finucan, Daniel O'Donnell, hoards of completely **** programs ... RTE can go and ****e if they think they're getting a bean out of me (unless of course they take me to court ;) )

The best way to deal with annoyances at the door, the TV license inspector being one of them, is to not answer the door, I find. Besides whats the worst that can happen?

Inspector: Are you Joe Bloggs
    Me: No
    Inspector: Do you have a TV
    Inspector: Can I come in and see

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

newmills wrote: »
    Only €160 a year - that's a bargain when you consider the quality of programmes on the 2 rte channels.
    TG4 is worth it's proportion of the license fee though

and yeah they could drop a lot of the RTE "names"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nuxxx wrote: »
    wow thats expensive!

Is it a common thing for all countrys to have one? or just ireland
    yes most developed countries with half decent public service television have them

the UK charge far more for their license than we do

• Advertisement

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Seemingly they have the technology to pinpoint TV sets to within a couple of metres yet theyve never heard of satnav :rolleyes:
    The old RTE detection van was a dummy with a lad inside turning the antennas on the roof

But the colour carrier on old TV's ran at exactly 4.433 618 75 MHz so would be pretty easy to tune into , or you could go for the the line out put transformer

LCD's / Plasma's would be a little harder

Also about 75% of the country are on SKY or cable so IIRC the license people get a customer list from them (they used to get lists from rental places)

odd people talking about get letters to "the resident" seeing as how An Post have a decent dB on peoples names and addresses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Sky/NTL etc cannot pass their customers details onto RTE. Against the law due to privacy.

Only database they have is previous licensees

Dear Occupier,

Our TV licence Inspector was unable to gain attention at this address today.

According to our records this address is not covered by a current television licence. Under Wireless Telegraphy legislation you are obliged to hold a current TV licence if there is a receiving apparatus (e.g. television set, ariel or both) in or on the premises.
    Aerial ?

A quarter wave dipole aerial for TV on the VHF / UHF bands would be any piece of metal with dimensions in the ranges of

VHF 44.75 - 223.25 MHz 1.67m - 33.6cm

UHF 471.25 - 855.25 MHz 15.9 cm - 8.76 cm

But of course it could be argued that the bits of metal could be used as 5/8th's antennas in which case the dimension ranges are 4.19m - 80.7cm and 39.8cm - 21.9cm

so to be safe you can only have metal objects in your house that are bigger than 4.19m (a bit awkward in the home ) or smaller than 8.76 cm (while you could have objects with dimensions between 33.6cm and 39.8cm these would still work at a lower efficiency so safer not to have any )

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Yes.

He came to my door (in student accommodation). He asked me if I was paying my TV licence and before I answered he asked me if I had a T.V. and I said (truthfully) "No". He didn't even look or ask about my roommate, he just fecked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He can stick it up the wazoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The old RTE detection van was a dummy with a lad inside turning the antennas on the roof

Thought only the Beeb had them

The could also use the local oscillator (39.5 MHz above whatever frequency RTE are on in the area)
    Aerial ?
    An aerial (or even dish) can be for other things besides TV
    yes most developed countries with half decent public service television have them
    They also have it in Ireland......................

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Thought only the Beeb had them
    maybe theirs had electronics ?
    The could also use the local oscillator (39.5 MHz above whatever frequency RTE are on in the area)
    yip lots of different ways of doing it
    yes it's possible to see what is on someone else's CRT just by picking up the signals off it, a little more difficult for LCD
    An aerial (or even dish) can be for other things besides TV
    You can play video games or watch DVD's on a TV , but you still need a license ;)

I forgot to take out the FM band and band 1 so you can have some of the longer lengths of metal / wet string around the house without being prosecuted.

Then again you can buy a lot of broadband for €160 if you don't mind the quality of the streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I have never actually had a visit from a TV Inspector in either Ireland or the UK, it's one of those things I had never seen, like a Bus Conductor on the 75

Having said that, I was fined once for riding the LUAS without a valid ticket. I'd been travelling from Stillorgan to Tallaght for months without any problems so I'd already saved a few quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I have never actually had a visit from a TV Inspector in either Ireland or the UK, it's one of those things I had never seen, like a Bus Conductor on the 75

Having said that, I was fined once for riding the LUAS without a valid ticket. I'd been travelling from Stillorgan to Tallaght for months without any problems so I'd already saved a few quid

How much was the fine? :eek:

I used to have a tv licence in my old house but when i moved out they kept sending me very abusive and aggressive letters (to the old address when it was due for renewal). Way over the top.

So to avoid this in future, i just never got a licence in this house - that should sort the renewal problem :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

the luas goes from stillorgan to tallaght? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

What I don't get is why you have to get a TV license in Ireland?

In Britain you pay for a TV license for the BBC and in turn they don't get money from advertising. Yet in Ireland the main broadcaster, RTE, has adverts...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

d.anthony wrote: »

In Britain you pay for a TV license for the BBC and in turn they don't get money from advertising. Yet in Ireland the main broadcaster, RTE, has adverts...

we are also one of the only international football teams to advertise on our jerseys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I wouldn't mind paying the tv licence in england as the BBC are actually pretty good. Most of the TV i watch would be on their channels. I couldnt tell you the last time Ive watched something on RTE.

I do find it strange that RTE are publically funded, and yet also have a commercial side. How is this fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

So if a TV liscence inspector calls to my door, I can refuse entry, give him no name, or make one up?(Patrick Stewart :D) and slam the door in his face without getting into trouble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    So if a TV liscence inspector calls to my door, I can refuse entry, give him no name, or make one up?(Patrick Stewart :D) and slam the door in his face without getting into trouble?

Yes......... but William Shatner would be my choice.

mikom wrote: »
    Yes......... but William Shatner would be my choice.
    Yes, but then the facepalm when he asks for the license will be less apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Yes - he cannot force entry without a warrant.

I would refuse to give a name rather than make one up. They can issue a summons in a fake name, but not in "the occupant"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Ya, doorbell rang just as I was getting out of the shower, opened the door with the towel around my waist. Told the inspector I didn't live there but had spend the night with one of the girls. He believed me and fecked off. So much for hearing all the excuses and none of them working.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Yes - he cannot force entry without a warrant.

I would refuse to give a name rather than make one up. They can issue a summons in a fake name, but not in "the occupant"
    Good point that is what I will do. The telly is just for the ps3 really and some dvds.

What will he do when I say "No" when he asks my name? I should just close the door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

As I said earlier a guy I know has never bought a licence. He is never in and one night got caught by the inspector.

Conversation went something like this.

TV Licence Man: I am here about the TV Licence.
    Friend: Ok
    TV Licence Man: You dont't have one
    Friend: No
    TV Licence Man : But you'll get one now.
    Friend: No
    TV Licence Man: We can do this 2 ways......
    Friend : Ah well, good Luck so......closes the door
    The TV Licence man lifts up the letterbox and shouts a few things through.

TV Licence Man was never seen again and the guy stil has no licence.

Advertisement