Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the TV license inspector ever paid you a visit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

160 euro for the utter sh1te that is RTE is daylight robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    160 euro for the utter sh1te that is RTE is daylight robbery

And you have to pay to watch adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Antho1966

homemadecider

wildly inaccurate.

why??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Is it true there will be a new license now for computers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Yes, you have sir, now don't call again

Got caught in my last place. Had just moved in, 8.00AM the first morning a knock came on the door, not being able to find the keys, I opened the window and there the TV guy was, all delighted. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

We do not have a Tv in our home, nor do we have a radio.Nor do we receive Live any-thing on the computer.
    However over the last year we have had four visits from the Licence inspector's the first was a small fat (lady) who rang the door bell like a bat out of hell @ 11am in the morning.
    When the door was answered she put her foot in the door and said she wanted to check for tv licence.
    She was trying to push past me at the door I pushed her back "Where the "f" do you think your going" She said I'm an-post tv Licence inspector.
    I told her to leave our property or I would call the garda and have her arrested for trespass.
    "She tought the house was in flats thats what she said."
    Since then we have a "camp" fella calling asking for the "name of the household". I have told him to get lost with himself that we have no tv
    We did phone GPO to complain only to be told that their staff would not do that ect,ect, They soon shut up when informed that it was all recorded on cctv every word and action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

We do not have a Tv in our home, nor do we have a radio.Nor do we receive Live any-thing on the computer.
    However over the last year we have had four visits from the Licence inspector's the first was a small fat (lady) who rang the door bell like a bat out of hell @ 11am in the morning.
    When the door was answered she put her foot in the door and said she wanted to check for tv licence.
    She was trying to push past me at the door I pushed her back "Where the "f" do you think your going" She said I'm an-post tv Licence inspector.
    I told her to leave our property or I would call the garda and have her arrested for trespass.
    Since then we have a "camp" fella calling asking for the "name of the household". I have told him to get lost with himself that we have no tv
    We did phone GPO to complain only to be told that their staff would not do that ect,ect, They soon shut up when informed that it was all recorded on cctv every word and action.

I too have found them to be aggressive and intimidating. One morning just before Christmas and there's two of them banging on the door. Obviously I don't answer because I'm not stupid so they start kicking the letter box. Didn't know until after they left that they were tv license inspectors. If they had been there any longer I would of called the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Let's have a look then whenever you're ready.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I answered the door this morning in my half asleep state to some lad about 45 with a clip board and ****ing knew instantly what he was there for, the little hoor.
    He was pleasant enough in fairness to the fella, just asked me if we had a television and then said "you must have just moved in" to which I just went, eh, yeah, er, last month, and then asked me "it's just the one telly, yeah?". Basically, the lad did the lying for me... I have just moved in but one of the lads in the house has been here for like 5 fecking years.

Yourman told me "There's no rush, just get it done in the next few weeks, and sure if ya forget they will just send ya a reminder in a month or so, so whenever ya have it just drop into the post office and pay it".

5 people in the gaff so it's feck all each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Seaneh wrote: »
    and then asked me "it's just the one telly, yeah?". Basically, the lad did the lying for me.

?

Did you expect to him to require a licence for each TV in the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Have not paid the TV licence in 19 years , my secret? never answer the door unless you're expecting someone.

GOML

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

In the estate I grew up in alot of people got caught by the tv inspecters in the 80s. Never open to the door to someone holding a clipboard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

carzony wrote: »
    Is it true there will be a new license now for computers?

Maybe that's the kind of thing that'll be brought to the table at some stage. Who knows? There's problems with it's workability but as the amount of aerials and dishes around the country decrease, it'll be gradually considered - some license or levy will be looked at, and we'll only look all the more backward for it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It isn't a licence for computers. Instead they're introducing a Broadcasting Charge, where every household is liable, regardless of what they own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

briany wrote: »
    Maybe that's the kind of thing that'll be brought to the table at some stage. Who knows? There's problems with it's workability but as the amount of aerials and dishes around the country decrease, it'll be gradually considered - some license or levy will be looked at, and we'll only look all the more backward for it.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/broadcast-charge-to-hit-all-homes-even-those-with-no-tv-29096806.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

What powers does a tv license inspector have?

Can he demand your name - or enter your house?

Or is he just an employee of An Post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dickwod1 wrote: »
    What powers does a tv license inspector have?

Can he demand your name - or enter your house?

Or is he just an employee of An Post?

Can he demand your name........... no.

Or enter your house............no.

Is he just an employee of An Post........... probably.

mikom wrote: »
    Can he demand your name........... no.

Or enter your house............no.

Is he just an employee of An Post........... probably.
    Yeah thats what I was thinking too
    In todays age of downloading stuff from Netflix and using your wopper tv only as a monitor for the playstation, I doubt if he even has the powers to get a summons now for a court apparence!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

These guys are a joke

When he came, he asked me if I have a tv, to which is said "no".
    Then he asked me if he can come in and check, i said "no".

Two weeks later I get a letter that says I have to pay TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭DonR8

twinsen wrote: »
    These guys are a joke

When he came, he asked me if I have a tv, to which is said "no".
    Then he asked me if he can come in and check, i said "no".

Two weeks later I get a letter that says I have to pay TV licence.

Your in right to refuse them entry to your home, how can they prove u do have a tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I know a lad in college who shares a house with three or four of his friends. Like most students they have a telly, but no license. Anyway, one day the TV license inspector paid a visit and when the lad I know was in the middle of denying that they had a television, Ross from Friends shouts out "It was MY Sandwich" :D

Apparently the landlord sorted it for them in the end though

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

DonR8 wrote: »
    Your in right to refuse them entry to your home, how can they prove u do have a tv?

They can't. But if you don't let them in, the just assume you have a tv.
    At least this guy did.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh those hilarious moments where you're in the sitting room, you can see the TV license inspector through the window and you hit the ground as if an air raid siren just went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We had just moved into our apartment about 2 weeks when we got a call, over 23 months later we still didnt get a license and our lease is up in 3 weeks time.

Living the dream.

If it was worthwhile and meaningful you wouldn't even mind paying it

But there's no way I'm paying a tv license so RTE can send 12 people reporters to Rome for a week wined and dined to cover the pope's resignation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Why does it matter that the woman was small and fat or that the man was camp?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

How bizarre.
    In the Republic my own experience was that if you had no TV they would go away and later another chap called over and marked me as a weirdo without a TV.

In the North you have to give your address when you buy a TV.

The story you tell is markedly different from my own experience. I hope you complained to the relevant authorities. Your placement of cameras all over your home in order to monitor every word and action is interesting. What do you use to review the tapes?

kidneyfan wrote: »

In the North you have to give your address when you buy a TV.

False address I presume?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

dickwod1 wrote: »
    False address I presume?
    NO! They check it and ask for ID! It is bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oh those hilarious moments where you're in the sitting room, you can see the TV license inspector through the window and you hit the ground as if an air raid siren just went off.
    That made me lol hahaha :).

Advertisement