Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the TV license inspector ever paid you a visit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Hmm im too young for tv license and i live with parents why dont you not answer the door bollocked naked and ask what he wants ? If he says "you" i would close the door quick !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

My friends and I live in a rented house for college, so we never bothered to get one.
    1st house we lived in, got many letters through the door addressed to "the occupant" then got a Final Warning, but we were movin ou soon and never bothered with one... T.V licence man then knocked on the door, we never answered and he went away...

pretty much the same story the next year in our new house, except the letters were addressed to whoever lived there before.... he called round about 3 times and we always jus ignored him... bt livin there this year again, so will prob have to get one....

Thing is though, we only have British Channels through freeview, dont actually have RTE..... Would we still have to pay??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Ptotty

Thing is though, we only have British Channels through freeview, dont actually have RTE..... Would we still have to pay??? :confused:

As much as RTE is a load of Sh1t and not worth a penny unfortunately they will tell you some speil about paying for the TV itself and not the channels you can get with it.
    But don't bother getting a license till your asked.
    Or else get a LCD and hook it up near a PC and say its the PC monitor and not a TV.
    That's it no licence required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i did but i was out getting botox at the time, touching up my face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 CK75

I dont understand why they charge so much for the TV licence, seriously does anyone watch RTE anyway? And the salaries of the "Stars" on RTE are completely ludicrious!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

I was always under the impression that in order to require a television license, you needed equipment that could pick up a television signal, not a TV by itself per se unless it had a built in antenna. What about a portable televsion with built in antenna or even an old game gear with one of those TV tuner add ons? Those would be small enough that you could in throw them our the window or, theoretically, hide them on your person when the inspector calls. Who is the burden of proof on?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

Ptotty wrote: »
    As much as RTE is a load of Sh1t and not worth a penny unfortunately they will tell you some speil about paying for the TV itself and not the channels you can get with it.
    But don't bother getting a license till your asked.
    Or else get a LCD and hook it up near a PC and say its the PC monitor and not a TV.
    That's it no licence required.

Jeez well theres our excuse out the window! :p
    Yeah well jus keep ignorin him, our house is strange anyway, the sittin room is in the middle of the house, TV cant be seen through any windows or anythin....

I still dont understand how they can try and make you pay for what is really a service that were not usin?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

anewme wrote: »
    As I said earlier a guy I know has never bought a licence. He is never in and one night got caught by the inspector........TV Licence Man was never seen again and the guy stil has no licence.

You didnt state whether he actually has TV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Ptotty wrote: »

I still don't know why we have to pay a licence fee when both RTE television and radio are commercial channels. The BBC can at least argue they need the licence fee as they don't get commercial funding, but what's RTE's excuse??

We also pay a fee for cable, as the old ariels are unreliable and only good at picking up fuzzy reception, so cable television is a necessity if you want a decent picture or signal.

As far as I can see, it's all one big con.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I never paid for a tv licence while I was a student. Never answered the door unless I knew who was calling.

I remember one time though, I was in the flat with a mate and a woman called at the door, we could see her through the window but didn't answer (mean I know), she looked very official and I could've sworn she was calling about the tv licence, although in hindsight I think it was to do with a census.

Anyway she called back later and we still didn't answer, but in the meantime, unknown to me, my mate had written with his finger on the condensation on the window: 'there's no-one here'. She must have had some laugh about that.

Got badly nabbed for a tv licence while living in England later though, they're awful about it over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

As far as I can see, it's all one big con.

Got it in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    You didnt state whether he actually has TV ?

TV Licence man never actually asked him, but yes he does.

He told me about that incident which must have happened at least five years ago and he still has no licence.

Anytime a conversation comes up about TV Licences, he just says "I'm against them for political reasons".

Another time he got caught by the inspector who asked his name. He just said I'm not giving you my name, you could be anybody. Inspector says, but here is my badge......friend says, but that could be fake, did you not see the warnings to watch out for bogus people doing the rounds. End of that visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

He called round during the week, when he asked if I had a TV licence I had one of those panicky rabbit caught in the headlights moments, knew there was no way of avoiding it as I'd paid for a TV licence when I moved in here but never renewed it. Have to say that ad on the telly started running thru my mind about the TV licence inspector having heard all the excuses, good job there then! Still though €160...ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seen him out the window of our apartments, rang near everyones intercom, dont think anyone answered though.

I took some nice photos of him to show the flatmates - Alla 'do not open the door to this man' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭muinteoir09

Any advice on this scenario?

Living in an apartment with partner. Inspector buzzes the intercom and partner answers (despite my protestations). Inspector asks if we have a TV. Partner says 'Not really, we use our laptops'. This is true, there is no TV at the address. Wouldn't let him in and she gave him her surname.

Got a letter a few weeks later addressed to Jane Doe (Doe the correct surname but Jane the incorrect first name) saying that possession of a TV had been admitted with no licence and that if a license wasn't purchased inside 10 days there would be prosecution.

I emailed the relevant branch to inform them what was said, that there was no TV and that we expected the claim to be dropped. Also pointed out that the inspector stated he would call back in a few weeks to check and he didn't. The reply I received (more than 10 days later I should add) stated that the TV inspector had checked his 'contemporaneous notes' and was satisfied an admission had been made and the demand remained in place.

We moved out of the place today.

So, should I get back in touch to say that there is no way we will be getting a licence as they cannot prove a TV was present? Or should I let them know we have moved? Or should I do nothing? Presumably a summons will eventually arrive at the address - what would the situation be then? Even if we did get a licence, we don't live there anymore and don't need one in our new place as we have no TV here either.

Sorry for the length of the post and thanks in advance for any replies...

Got a letter a few weeks later addressed to Jane Doe (Doe the correct surname but Jane the incorrect first name) saying that possession of a TV had been admitted with no licence and that if a license wasn't purchased inside 10 days there would be prosecution..

"Not known at this address"

FFS the inspector doesnt know the persons name (or that theyre over 18) and has never seen them having only spoken with them over an intercom
    I emailed the relevant branch to inform them what was said, that there was no TV and that we expected the claim to be dropped. Also pointed out that the inspector stated he would call back in a few weeks to check and he didn't. The reply I received (more than 10 days later I should add) stated that the TV inspector had checked his 'contemporaneous notes' and was satisfied an admission had been made and the demand remained in place..

If I were to make threats against a TV licence inspector along the lines of killing them and raping/mutilating random members of their family and were to subsequently find myself in court on same would my 'contemporaneous notes' indicating that I had said nothing of the sort be likely to satisfy the court and thereby secure an acquittal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

cock robin wrote: »
    Im sure you guys have heard the add you know the one "we have heard all the excuses" But all the excuses are pityfull and childish. I wonder have they heard this one. Im broke unemployed and cant afford the fcuking licence fee. Why are the adds not realistic. Im sure no-one has ever given the half arsed excuse that some of the add's imply or have they. Has the TV inspector ever called to you ?

I got caught with no licence but he was satisfied with the cake I gave him instead. There was rum in it. Aloda Rum!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

i sent my friend (who happened to be taking that horrible heroin in my toilet) out to the door to the tv license man, he never called again..

charlemont wrote: »
    who happened to be taking that horrible heroin in my toilet
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

No, and when he does I will polity refuse him entry to my home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Called to me twice. In my apartment after I installed NTL. And then in my new house after I got Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Any advice on this scenario?

Living in an apartment with partner. Inspector buzzes the intercom and partner answers (despite my protestations). Inspector asks if we have a TV. Partner says 'Not really, we use our laptops'. This is true, there is no TV at the address. Wouldn't let him in and she gave him her surname.

Got a letter a few weeks later addressed to Jane Doe (Doe the correct surname but Jane the incorrect first name) saying that possession of a TV had been admitted with no licence and that if a license wasn't purchased inside 10 days there would be prosecution.

I emailed the relevant branch to inform them what was said, that there was no TV and that we expected the claim to be dropped. Also pointed out that the inspector stated he would call back in a few weeks to check and he didn't. The reply I received (more than 10 days later I should add) stated that the TV inspector had checked his 'contemporaneous notes' and was satisfied an admission had been made and the demand remained in place.

We moved out of the place today.

So, should I get back in touch to say that there is no way we will be getting a licence as they cannot prove a TV was present? Or should I let them know we have moved? Or should I do nothing? Presumably a summons will eventually arrive at the address - what would the situation be then? Even if we did get a licence, we don't live there anymore and don't need one in our new place as we have no TV here either.

Sorry for the length of the post and thanks in advance for any replies...

I'd let them swivel for it the liary bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

?

well he died very soon after.. i left him stay a night thats why he was there, using in my toilet as i dont want him using in front of me.. im anti hard drugs to the bone but i loves my hash,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

So here's the scenario - he's been doing his rounds.
    Got the usual letters and calling cards.
    Final warning letter issued.
    But they dont know my name.
    Someone told me that they cant prosecute you without knowing your name.
    And even through public records (PPS Number, ESB ect) they aren't allowed to 'share' this information from body to body to discover your identity.
    Which to me makes sense.

So then HOW do they prosecute you (summon you to court and fine you)
    if they don't know your name?
    Are you 'untouchable' :) ???
    Supposing you NEVER HAD a licence - does this mean they cant do anything about you without knowing your name?
    But for the people who DO/HAVE HAD a licence - are THEY the only ones who can be brought to court?

I'll example it like this:
    "Dear annonymous householder,
    you have received many warnings you bold boy or girl.
    You are now due to appear in court on D-day to pay a big massive fine.
    Appear and present yourself with money and valid identification or else..."
    Are the Gardai ever involved (the way they call round to issue parking fines ect)?

Ridiculous as this sounds - DOES this happen???
    In the case of knowing your name I'm sure it does.
    But for secret agents like myself: code name Buttercupbee
    - is the bee safe so long as she hides in the hive???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Better off never being registered so not on the radar. They cant summon the occupier so Mr. Inspector has to visit and be given a name.

"Dear annonymous householder,
    you have received many warnings you bold boy or girl.
    You are now due to appear in court on D-day to pay a big massive fine.
    Appear and present yourself with money and valid identification or else..."

Wouldnt they need evidence that anonymous householder actually had one of those TV things

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Wouldnt they need evidence that anonymous householder actually had one of those TV things

Good question.

TV guy called the other day. Foolishly gave him my name. Told him I have no licence, and also no TV. He said okay and left.

I have no TV, no receiver, no aerial. Don't watch it, don't miss it. Save myself a lot of wasted time watching crap, and get plenty of other things done in my evenings.

Radio and web are the way for me. I can stream TV via internet if I want, since that is not covered by TV licencing laws in Ireland so far. Can't see how they could possibly enforce internet TV access anyway (via ISP? owners of PC/laptop?). Radio licencing is not implemented.

Got a letter today addressed to The Occupant. Says I have no licence. Says to contact the local office if I do not have a TV. Why? Isn't that what inspector is for? Why should I do free work for An Post/RTE/State? Will they accept my verbal statement?

If I now get a summons, can I safely ignore this, since I am legally not required to have a licence?

Or could I be prosecuted anyway, based on no evidence other than my name and admission of no licence?

If I can, then could I hire a solicitor to defend me and counter-sue for wasting my time, court costs etc? And theoretically should I get both costs and compensation?

I would dearly love to skr3w these f0kk3rs if they try anything.
    TV licence income is supposed to be for RTE and RTE only. RTE being the public broadcast service and a state body which also has advertising income (unlike the ad free BBC).

An Post is the state body where you buy your TV licence. An Post keeps database of TV licence holders/addresses. An Post employs inspectors to check for licences and "correct" database. RTE promotes TV licence ads on radio and TV, therefore losing revenue from other advertisers (i.e. costs).

Somewhere there MUST be a legal link between RTE and An Post. At least to hand over the TV licence fees. Also who pays An Post for its services? Is that coming out of the TV licence also? And the radio and TV ads? So the TV licence is not JUST paying for RTE. It is also paying for An Post to administor payments/databases/inspectors/ads. F0(k that. Those ads make me want to kill (metaphorically) the advertising agency person responsible for creating the scripts.

So two state bodies are collaborating already over TV licences. Can't see why they can't get a third (gardai) or fourth (judiciary) involved. Since this is Ireland, you can be sure that judiciary are also "on-side" when it comes to prosecuting any case. To my mind this is state (in all it's various forms/guises/organisations) versus public and they can go f0(k themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

TV licence man called round my house last night, nobody was there, our curtains were closed and TV was unplugged from wall, even the aerial. Yet we still got a letter through the door, Dear Occupier. We usually use our laptops for tv shows, we've crappy reception... My question is : How do they know there was a tv? Do they have psyhic abilities?? I'll be paying the licence cos i'm not bothered with the hassle but it bugs me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

tatabubbly wrote: »
    TV licence man called round my house last night, nobody was there, our curtains were closed and TV was unplugged from wall, even the aerial. Yet we still got a letter through the door, Dear Occupier. We usually use our laptops for tv shows, we've crappy reception... My question is : How do they know there was a tv? Do they have psyhic abilities?? I'll be paying the licence cos i'm not bothered with the hassle but it bugs me
    They don't know anything either way they just assume your guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Don't be afraid to open the door to them, some of them enjoy the banter.
    The real trick is never ever ever to give them your real name.
    If they work for An Post they know who the occupants are anyway.

Once they have a name they are normally content & everything from there is done by post.
    Watch as the warning letters arrive for Joe O'Toole, poor Joe never answers his mail.
    I've got this process as far as a draft summons, never an official one.
    Anyway, after about 9 months the inspector will call again.

Welcome to Stephen Cummins, that's Stephen with a "ph".
    ........ & the matrix is reset.

Advertisement